Kelso and Hilton Falls officially open for 2015- Mtbr.com
    Workin for the weekend!

Kelso and Hilton Falls officially open for 2015

Anyone hit up Kelso yet? My guess is that the trails are dry...
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Anyone hit up Kelso yet? My guess is that the trails are dry...
    officially opened yesterday and the pics looked to be in great condition
    Might head there tomorrow afternoon after work

mtbr member
    Heard it's in great shape mostly. Can't wait to hit the trails there soon!

mtbr member
    Hilton Falls and Agreement Forest are in excellent shape.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Sure is! Hit that yesterday! So nice to ride dirt and rock!

mtbr member
    Perfect day yesterday to crank through some rocks. Good temperature, and no bugs. Does not get much better.
    Burnt Norton

Workin for the weekend!
    Kelso needs to do some maintenance. Yellow tape, loose boards and stunts that need some love... IMO, it's Unacceptable to open pay trails with so much work required.

mtbr member
    Did they refund your admittance?
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

Workin for the weekend!
    I bought a season's pass... :/ I'm sure it's all down to timing, the maintenance staffers are probably wrapping up the ski season's equipment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    I bought a season's pass... :/
    Good stuff - I get the yearly passes too and at Kelso always feel I (having paid for access) am in the minority lol.

Id definitely contact Conservation Halton with your concerns of the current state at Kelso if you already haven't.

mtbr member
    Made it today and had a blast. Good turnout for the first Saturday. Smiles everywhere. Todd I can see what you're saying above, it was like caution tape was on sale and they were trying to use it all up lol.

Beer lovers take note - theres a new micro just behind Maplehurst called Orange Snail, too close not to hit up. Stopped by, really looking forward to trying their stuff.

mtbr member
    I made it out on Saturday and trails are in mint shape. I almost forgot how much flow Kelso trails have! It was great to ride when conditions were just perfect.

On the down side, I ran into someone that broke his wrist when he crashed off the small rocky hill before my fav downhill. I ended up driving him to the hospital. It's a bit scary to think what could happen when you ride alone. Be safe out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Workin for the weekend!
    Riding solo means extra caution...

I saw a few pumpkinheads out there on Saturday without Helmets!!! It never meant much to me even few years ago, but whenever I see an un-helmeted rider all I can think is how selfish that rider is. Who's gonna clean up the mess when this guy cracks his melon open, it's guys like Macming. Strangers who do the right thing to help, only to have their day ruined having to participate in the avoidable consequences. Wear a Freakin Helmet or GTFO!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I rode Sunday evening - conditions up top were perfect - theres some snow still on the fire road climb however but it is passable! very fast - also the very techy section at the very end of x-treme trail is closed for maintenance
    www.abikeslife.com ontario bike stuff!

WolfPak Racing! :thumbsup:
    https://www.facebook.com/wolfpakracingcanada

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Trail Gods have been very busy clearing almost all the downed trees and clearing the caution tape. (should be done by end of today) Trails all dry or perfectly tacky except the fire road climb, which is still snow covered for the top 1/4, but a wet/soft ride around is available. Climbs on the Appleby road side are all dry.

mtbr member
    Was there Monday. Was great.

Wanted to mention: There were a couple groups of kids with instructors or guides there. Anyone know what program this is?

I'd like to drop them a line with some kudos - these were the most well behaved groups of kids I've come across on trails. I ride all over southern Ontario and have crossed paths with so many groups. These kids and their instructors were just amazing - going well out of their way to yeild, calling out how many riders are behind them, just being friendly and good sports in general.

Was really impressed by them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Was there Monday. Was great.

Wanted to mention: There were a couple groups of kids with instructors or guides there. Anyone know what program this is?

I'd like to drop them a line with some kudos - these were the most well behaved groups of kids I've come across on trails. I ride all over southern Ontario and have crossed paths with so many groups. These kids and their instructors were just amazing - going well out of their way to yeild, calling out how many riders are behind them, just being friendly and good sports in general.

Was really impressed by them.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Those groups would have been part of our Ways of the Woods day camps. We offer Intro, Advanced and Trail Builder bike camps all summer long (and still have some spots available for next week if anyone is interested!).

Click the link for more info:
    Ways of the Woods Camps ? Conservation Halton

If you want to send some more direct feedback you can e-mail us at [email protected]

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by AWheelMan View Post
    Those groups would have been part of our Ways of the Woods day camps. We offer Intro, Advanced and Trail Builder bike camps all summer long (and still have some spots available for next week if anyone is interested!).

If you want to send some more direct feedback you can e-mail us at [email protected]
    Very nice.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AWheelMan View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

This looks interesting! I'll seriously consider this for my little guy next year. As it is, we do quite a bit at Kelso now, and is doing extremely well on most trails now.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Very cool. Ever considered busing from the Dundas area??

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Advice please!!!

Good morning!! I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some advice. I am just getting back into MTB after a long hiatus! It's been a long time ( read as many years) since I actively rode trails. I did the Fanshawe lake trail last year but other than that it's been well over ten years. I live in Acton and I'm looking for trails local to me to get my legs, and nerve, back. I am within 20 minutes drive from Kelso and Hilton Falls. What trails would be suggest to ease myself back into it? I just replaced my '98 K2 Proflex 4000 and am eager to get going. Any advice would be appreciated!
    Last edited by renovatedspaces; 10-07-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I would avoid Hilton Falls if the objective is to get your nerve back. They are great trails, but you can easily find your way into unforgiving sections if you are not familiar with the area. Any of the trails on the upper section of Kelso would be good. Also I suggest looking at the Hydrocut in K-W, and Albion Hills & Palgrave as good nearby options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'll do that! Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    The north end of Halton Agreement Forest has some easier trails with a few short rocky sections and small log overs that can help with mojo return or you can walk 'em, they're short sections!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That sounds perfect. Thanks! I just picked up a 2011 specialized epic comp carbon that was bought new 6 months ago. I'm anxious to break it in! Any trail markers I should look for? Access from Mohawk parking lot?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I suggest parking at one of the two lots on 6th Line to access the easier sections of the AF. Check out the map on the HAFTA website, look for trails such as Hidden Gem, Chain Reaction, Perry's Portage, Ranchy Rocks, and The Pines for flowier rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Ok. Thanks again. I appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    If going to Hilton/Agreement Forest check out the Trailforks app. It is excellent. It also has Kelso on it. PM me if you want a tour with an old slow guy.😀 I also created an easier route on Trailforks called Agreement Forest Easy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

This is awesome!

I double posted!
    Last edited by renovatedspaces; 10-09-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What a great app! Thanks for all the info everyone. I appreciate it. I hit the Finney trail off 6th line the other night. Only 10 minutes from home. 👍 Had no idea where I was going, but it was good to get out. It was exactly what I was looking for to get my feet wet!! "Secret agent" I will gladly take you up on your offer. Thank you. Do you want to PM me your email? Thanks again, glad to be riding again.