Kelso is anyone out there ?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    234

    ... and if we just ... Kelso is anyone out there ?

    Rode Kelso today and it was great, surprised to find I was the only rider on the hill no hikers or any one else. I fell in love with riding all over!!! I did manage to chase around 20 or 30 Squirels that were on the switchbacks, and took pleasure in removeing the old sheet metal pieces off the trail and broken limbs from trees. Took time to smell the air and it was fresh! I did find the Irony of haveing one of my best rides of the year and trying to understand why these trails were closed. But that,s another topic well threaded before, that trail today was awsome and felt like a re-birth if you will. Looking forward to the next hazy day and loven it. CHEERS LOPEZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    424
    Hey Lopez,
    So you snuck in? I should have done the same as I ended up at Hilton for 3 hrs and was lost for half that time.
    That was my third try there and afraid it was Hiltons' 3rd strike. I just can't get into the place. Can't find trails, markers missing after "F". I ended up on 4th sideroad and had a local cyclist escort me back to the trail which hooked back with the orange.
    I read about the trails to the west and north of the Falls, but could never get myself across to access that secton. The map has the trail leading from the Falls area but could not get much further across thean the other side of the bridge across the river just before the falls.
    Is it just me?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590

    Yikes...

    Quote Originally Posted by hmto
    Hey Lopez,
    So you snuck in? I should have done the same as I ended up at Hilton for 3 hrs and was lost for half that time.
    That was my third try there and afraid it was Hiltons' 3rd strike. I just can't get into the place. Can't find trails, markers missing after "F". I ended up on 4th sideroad and had a local cyclist escort me back to the trail which hooked back with the orange.
    I read about the trails to the west and north of the Falls, but could never get myself across to access that secton. The map has the trail leading from the Falls area but could not get much further across thean the other side of the bridge across the river just before the falls.
    Is it just me?
    Not to be a negative sort, but you may want to refer to my previous rant about Hilton Hike Your Bike Falls...I share your frustration. A wilderness experience is nice, but being lost when trying to enjoy a ride is another story. While I don't endorse riding when anywhere when closed, the HRCA really doesn't get it when it comes to understanding their MTB demographic...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    424
    Actually was going to post on your thread as I came across it a couple weeks ago, but saw this thread and thought for a second Kelso was open.
    Didn't even give them a second thought this afternoon, just went to Hilton as a scouting excercise for our weekend rides as the snow will begin to fly soon.
    I'm a season pass holder and wouldn't even consider going on when closed, but don't see why as Hilton remains open. It really is a shame...

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    234

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by hmto
    Hey Lopez,
    So you snuck in? I should have done the same as I ended up at Hilton for 3 hrs and was lost for half that time.
    That was my third try there and afraid it was Hiltons' 3rd strike. I just can't get into the place. Can't find trails, markers missing after "F". I ended up on 4th sideroad and had a local cyclist escort me back to the trail which hooked back with the orange.
    I read about the trails to the west and north of the Falls, but could never get myself across to access that secton. The map has the trail leading from the Falls area but could not get much further across thean the other side of the bridge across the river just before the falls.
    Is it just me?
    It,s not you , I have done the same and forced my self to find all trails at Hilton and work my way back, as for there map save it for the out house it was designed for hikers who are picnicing. Ilove Hilton but today Kelso rocked CHEERS LOPEZ

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    234

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Not to be a negative sort, but you may want to refer to my previous rant about Hilton Hike Your Bike Falls...I share your frustration. A wilderness experience is nice, but being lost when trying to enjoy a ride is another story. While I don't endorse riding when anywhere when closed, the HRCA really doesn't get it when it comes to understanding their MTB demographic...
    Understand your view but I did not sneek in, I rode in . I have ridden most trails around Ontario before there was trail passes to collect money, although I happliy contribute for trail mainteance. These trails are governed by the conservation Authority but not owned!! I have paid my seasons pass and I believe I have the right to ride weather permitting or not. I also did not want to make this a thread on Debate but one of thrill of a good ride. It is clear I failed. CHEERS LOPEZ: JUST KIDDING I STILL HAD A GREAT RIDE TODAY CHEERS

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    424
    Wasn't meant as anything really off topic nor judgemental. Wished I was in your shoes today.
    I was just so pissed today-really pissed and when I saw your thread, envy was my initial feeling as I felt I wasted an afternoon chasing my tail around.
    Great workout but miles of rock and being lost equates to no fun at all.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590

    Well I don't know...

    Quote Originally Posted by lopez test pilot
    Understand your view but I did not sneek in, I rode in . I have ridden most trails around Ontario before there was trail passes to collect money, although I happliy contribute for trail mainteance. These trails are governed by the conservation Authority but not owned!! I have paid my seasons pass and I believe I have the right to ride weather permitting or not. I also did not want to make this a thread on Debate but one of thrill of a good ride. It is clear I failed. CHEERS LOPEZ: JUST KIDDING I STILL HAD A GREAT RIDE TODAY CHEERS
    For the record, I don't support HRCA (Essentially Kelso and Hilton) as it pertains to mtb activities because their understanding of trail marking, conditions, etc...leaves a lot to be desired. I was not looking for a debate either. That said, just because you paid for your pass does not in any way entitle you to ride them weather permitting or not. Regardless of the yahoos at Kelso's ability to understand trail conditions, that kind of attitude by many people is a quick way to have a facility closed due to depleting trail conditions. Really, use you judgement. If you had the same attitude about somewhere like Albion Hills, where things are maintained very well, you would have a lot of folks all over you for your comments.

    N.

  9. #9
    livin' large
    Reputation: canadian-clydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    534
    I rode yesterday too, although at the dreaded Hilton Falls (insert scary music) tried some new trails up by Mowhawk, really good stuff, rode the big bike and am feeeling it in my lower back as I write this. But yestrerday I was grinning like a fool while enjoying the groove.

    Glad to know someone else took advantage of the day as today looks not nearly as nice.

    As far as the stealth entry to Kelso/ Hilton Falls, people have been doing it for as long as they have had trails.
    it tied the room together man!

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    234

    ... and if we just ...

    Again I understand and agree with most of your thread, but disagree with the projected attitude thrown my way. I have paid several times to ride Albion in absolute **** conditions Rain/ Mud/ Snow, but I loved all of it. I have Raced at Kelso along with 600 other riders in a 24 hours of Adreniline in severe thunderstorms and I bet many of you remember that one. I paid to ride Hilton falls but now have a membership and ride all season long in all conditions and love it. Yesturday I regret Kelso was closed because my hope was they would be opened, I had phoned before I drove 45mins to get there and was surprised that there Automated message did not say closed due to conditions or act of God, nothing and so I drove in good faith. I spent 30 min of my time removeng three 8 foot long sheets of metal half buried under rock and wood to eliminate any risk of injury to others the same sheets of metal which sat there exposed for years. I cleared large broken limbs that blocked single track, then I enjoyed the rest of my ride. I do use my own judgement and always in the best faith. I always have and will continue to support all the trails that I enjoy because to me riding is part of my life and as important as my faith. But one things is sure in this life time, I will decide when and where and in what conditions I will ride and not judge others for there,s. Nor will I care what group from Albion might think of me or my riding habits remember riding is freedom. AND THE SIGN SAID LONG HAIR FREAKY PEOPLE NEED NOT APPLY !!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590

    Easy now...

    Quote Originally Posted by lopez test pilot
    Again I understand and agree with most of your thread, but disagree with the projected attitude thrown my way. I have paid several times to ride Albion in absolute **** conditions Rain/ Mud/ Snow, but I loved all of it. I have Raced at Kelso along with 600 other riders in a 24 hours of Adreniline in severe thunderstorms and I bet many of you remember that one. I paid to ride Hilton falls but now have a membership and ride all season long in all conditions and love it. Yesturday I regret Kelso was closed because my hope was they would be opened, I had phoned before I drove 45mins to get there and was surprised that there Automated message did not say closed due to conditions or act of God, nothing and so I drove in good faith. I spent 30 min of my time removeng three 8 foot long sheets of metal half buried under rock and wood to eliminate any risk of injury to others the same sheets of metal which sat there exposed for years. I cleared large broken limbs that blocked single track, then I enjoyed the rest of my ride. I do use my own judgement and always in the best faith. I always have and will continue to support all the trails that I enjoy because to me riding is part of my life and as important as my faith. But one things is sure in this life time, I will decide when and where and in what conditions I will ride and not judge others for there,s. Nor will I care what group from Albion might think of me or my riding habits remember riding is freedom. AND THE SIGN SAID LONG HAIR FREAKY PEOPLE NEED NOT APPLY !!!!!!!!
    Kudos for you for removing and cleaning some things up. While it is not really my attitude or my personal judgement of you as much as it is fact that many areas are continually being closed due to environmental or insurance related concerns. Riding somewhere while closed present potential for problems arising in both those areas. I love to ride as much as you do and have done the drive to Kelso many times only to turn around and go home due to closures. I certainly do not support their trail management antics. Making your own set of rules as to when and where you ride on governed trails is an interesting take. Thanks goodness there aren't too many of you around or we would have some more major trail access issues...Group from Albion? Not sure what you mean there...You also lost me on the Long Hair thing...

  12. #12
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    You also lost me on the Long Hair thing...
    song lyrics.

    Five man electrical band - Signs.

    I was born in 88' and even i know that one.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    234
    I wish there were more of me and less of the judgementall bandwagon bashers. I been an advocate for trails as long ago as the mid 80,s and Iam no rebel when it comes to rules. it is sad Kelso was closed and I made a mistake to ride that trail and post it. I also believe if it were an enviromental problem I would not of ridden there , but the trail was bone dry. As for insurance and liability well I have signed my waiver and paid my dues freeing Kelso from any wrong doing. As for the original post on this thread it was just to relate the sanctity of a great ride and all the good things that are part of riding. No need to blow this into a Rebel without a cause or lawlessness. Unless there is more you need to get off your chest Mr Miester and direct it at all my flaws may I suggest go for a ride and have a nice day. CHEERS LOPEZ

  14. #14
    NormalNorm
    Reputation: norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    song lyrics.

    Five man electrical band - Signs.

    I was born in 88' and even i know that one.
    1988 = Tesla and mullets

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    234
    No worrys , it was good to hear someone else had a ride planned out CHEERS BRO LOPEZ

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590

    Let's go for a ride...

    Quote Originally Posted by lopez test pilot
    I wish there were more of me and less of the judgementall bandwagon bashers. I been an advocate for trails as long ago as the mid 80,s and Iam no rebel when it comes to rules. it is sad Kelso was closed and I made a mistake to ride that trail and post it. I also believe if it were an enviromental problem I would not of ridden there , but the trail was bone dry. As for insurance and liability well I have signed my waiver and paid my dues freeing Kelso from any wrong doing. As for the original post on this thread it was just to relate the sanctity of a great ride and all the good things that are part of riding. No need to blow this into a Rebel without a cause or lawlessness. Unless there is more you need to get off your chest Mr Miester and direct it at all my flaws may I suggest go for a ride and have a nice day. CHEERS LOPEZ
    Lopez, let's go for a ride some time in the next week. Really, I think you have misunderstood me somewhat. I have said many times, Halton Conservation Authority doesn't get it, so I am not defending them. I just know the dangers of riding lawlessly when/where ever you please. If you want to get out some time in the next week, I would be happy to go for a ride. You will find I am pretty harmless and am not looking to get anything off my chest...

    N.

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Lopez, let's go for a ride some time in the next week. Really, I think you have misunderstood me somewhat. I have said many times, Halton Conservation Authority doesn't get it, so I am not defending them. I just know the dangers of riding lawlessly when/where ever you please. If you want to get out some time in the next week, I would be happy to go for a ride. You will find I am pretty harmless and am not looking to get anything off my chest...

    N.
    all is well don,t stress, I would be happy to meet on a trail, I work afternoons next 2 weeks so It wiil need to be a day ride, will that work for you. CHEERS LOPEZ

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    84

    Call Chris about Kelso conditions

    The guy to call at Kelso regarding conditions etc. is:

    Chris 905.878.5011 ext 237

    Acording to the gate and he is the person to call if there are issues. Might be a way to ensure they know what we think as I doubt they read these posts.

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    234

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by helvetica
    The guy to call at Kelso regarding conditions etc. is:

    Chris 905.878.5011 ext 237

    Acording to the gate and he is the person to call if there are issues. Might be a way to ensure they know what we think as I doubt they read these posts.
    CHEERS WITH THE INFO IT WILL ABSOLUTLEY BE USED P.S. LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR RIDING KELSO NEXT I, M IN !!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.