Kelso alone sux big time- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

Idea! Kelso alone sux big time

I have been riding Kelso for 3 years and as far as I know I can ride it back and forth within ~30 - 45 min and that is it. Last year they increased the price for bikers from $3.50 to $6!!!! crazy. They claim they made new trails. BUT WHERE? Maybe somehow I cannot find them but I was trying hard. Often I ride the trail that is closed for bikers the one along the escrapment (EASTERN WALL). I think it's the most desent one in the area.

BUT ALL THAT WAS NOT MY POINT.

I was bored with Kelso I tried to explore the area. Around there are 2 other plases really nice to ride. The Rattle Snake Point, and Crawfort lake. I know that I can not ride there but I found out that if you enter via hidden entrances and pass quickly and won't kill anyone on your way - nobody complains.

So I did experiment couple of times and entered Crawford Lake from the Guelph Line just 1km south of the main entrance there is a "wild" enterance. There is atleast 5-8km ride there. Mix of gravel, forest,and stoney technical ride. From there I go to the Rattle Snake.
    I enter that trail from the escrapment side where it is connecting with Craford Lake triail.
    To go from Crawford Lake to Rattle Snake, I have to walk steep downhil to the bottom of the ecsrapment then walk or ride it steep uphill
    It's is a fast ride via Rattle Snake.Lots of logs across the path. Mostly single trail,not to many people there. 0 -1 bikers. Then I exit via the main entrance so the security won;t catch me hehe. Comming along ApplebyLine I go to Kelso. I enter the trails on the right side of the Appleby Line past Steels Ave and ride the Kelso for another hour or 2 until I'm dehydrated .In my opinion this is the real adventure for atleast 4-6 hours. Too bad illegal and too good not to many people do that.
    Jack
    PS: sorry for gramma errors.

Space for rent...

Jacek, do me a favour..........

....sell your bike and find another sport.

Has it occurred to you, that the reason mountain bikers are denied access to public lands, is the perception that we a lawless bunch of yahoo's, roaming around aimlessly, tearing up good hiking trails, with no respect for the rules.

Your attitude sucks, and frankly, you are an embarrassment to our sport.

Words fail me.....*shakes head and walks away!*
    It's only pain......

mtbr member

back to talking about Kelso...

I don't know why people ride Kelso. There are better and some of them free (legal) alternatives in the area. I've ridden out there a few times and I have yet to find the riding experience that makes me want to forgo all other areas in Ontario.

FYI: The $6 fee pays for more than trail building and maint. like staff to take care of people who crash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Kelso is... SHORT AND SWEET.

I've always loved kelso for some of their knarly technical stuff. Just fun to play in.. and then that oh so sweet climb up the road path. YUMMY.

Otherwise.. yes.. it is SHORT.. and therefore can be boring after a few laps in one riding.

For long courses.. so far Glen Major combined with Durham has kept me busy .. and then if I get lost in there.. BONUS.. more riding.

Amy - Wishing Ontario weren't so flat.. but still likes what the land can offer!

Looking for Adventure

Well, that has always been Kelso...

Kelso is for beginners to intermediates, and is a haven for weekend warriers. Otherwise, it is a quick training ride for more advanced types to get a fast 1 hour ride during the week with a few good hill climbs to keep you in shape. No one ever said it was anything more than that for as long as I remember.

Don't worry, the weekend warriers will still pay the price!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebabe77
    For long courses.. so far Glen Major combined with Durham has kept me busy .. and then if I get lost in there.. BONUS.. more riding.

Amy - Wishing Ontario weren't so flat.. but still likes what the land can offer!
    I like the durham forest, glen majors and then the road climb back route myself for that area. The hills on the open field are fun climbs too. Rode the one single track hill climb that goes directly to the bell tower last week and it was a hard fun climb up but a fun fast descent on the way down.

Mansfield and the forest tract land is great if you like long rides and enjoy getting lost. Not technical but it's a fun long ride.

almost there!

Cool-blue Rhythm I'm one of those guys that likes riding uphill...

Kelso is a small area to ride in, and yes you could get bored with it after riding it 4 or 5 times, but for training - climbing that ski hill is an incredible training tool.

I spent 3 weekends riding a circuit of Kelso and incorporating riding up the ski hill, climbing it 5 or 6 times each ride and I went from middle of the pack finishes to within the top 10 (O-cup races).

You could find big hills in other parts of Ontario, and you don't have to ride off road for training either. One area that I would like to check out is Collingwood, but I'm not sure if there are trails there that are officially open for mountain bikers. So Kelso has my approval for fun and training, but I wouldn't go there every weekend, - this summer I will probably go 6 or 7 times. And of course I will be there this weekend for the O-Cup race.

One of the posts above said that Ontario is too flat, I couldn't agree more.

A wheelist
    .........for training - climbing that ski hill is an incredible training tool........climbing it 5 or 6 times each ride

That's what I used to do in my racing years! I'd take the one hour drive to Kelso, leave Momma reading a book under a shade tree and then I'd go up & down the access road till I was baked like a lobster in the sun. That took about two hours. It sure did help my climbing!

I was passed one day by another rider on that climb. I could hear gravel crunching behind me and thought whoever was gonna pass me sure deserved it. The guy was on an old Raleigh, flat plastic pedals, sneakers, kneesox, flappy nylon shorts, wifebeater and a frikkin KICKSTAND. I kid you not.

My ego took a hell of a blow that day. I'm over it now though but it took years.

mtbr member

Hardtail @ Kelso

Hi all,

Never been to Kelso, in your opinion waht skill level would you say Kelso is. I rode Hilton Falls a couple times . I have a entry level MTB (trek 4300)

I dont care about the fee, I have an Halton Conservation Annual pass as I do a lot of Hiking as well.

Cheers

anyone done the Elora/Cataract rail trail? apporx how long one way 15-20km/h leisure pace

almost there!
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Never been to Kelso, in your opinion waht skill level would you say Kelso is. I rode Hilton Falls a couple times . I have a entry level MTB (trek 4300)
    Well climbing the escarpment is hard physically but it doesn't take a lot of skill, the trails on top of the escarpment are easy, and if you're riding at your own pace you can slow down for any technical sections you come across. Or even walk over the rocky sections if they are too intimidating.

I would recommend trying Kelso at least once.

rad to the power of sick
    Like the guy said above, someone passed him on a canadian t ire bike ( no offense bro, I ve had similar experiences)

WIth a 4300 your laughing, I started on one. 4 years ago.

out of 10 for difficulty id give kelso 2/10 only a couple uphill rocky bits, other than t hat its easy flyin.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

More than a little slow

Jacek

Jacek
    If you are bored with Kelso then you will very quickly tire of riding Crawford Lake and Rattlesnake point. And in the process annoy a lot of people who are trying to get away from us idiot mountain bikers. There is a solution. Give up on RS and CL and start riding at Hilton Falls Conservation Area just north of the 401. There is enough good legal riding there that it simply isn't worth staying south of the 401 ( except to get a workout going up and down the ski hill at Kelso ). It's a huge area with a variety of trails and some a lot harder to get through than that trail at the top of escarpement in Kelso. You will get lost in Hilton Falls, it's that big. And if you don't get lost then you haven't found the good trails.

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by dskunk; 05-21-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Jun 2004
    If Kelso feels low on value just take Guelph line down to Burlington. There are a pile of trails between Burlington and Waterdown and all free.

Apr 2004

Idea! Waterdown map

Quote Originally Posted by ions
    If Kelso feels low on value just take Guelph line down to Burlington. There are a pile of trails between Burlington and Waterdown and all free.
    Thanks for info I have a small map in the attachement of the area you described in your posting. Would you be able to tell me between which points on this map I can find bike trails?
    Thanks a lot.
    Jacek

ps: if you have trouble viewing attachement I will send it to you via email, of course if you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They say I have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by jacek
    Thanks for info I have a small map in the attachement of the area you described in your posting. Would you be able to tell me between which points on this map I can find bike trails?
    Thanks a lot.
    Jacek

ps: if you have trouble viewing attachement I will send it to you via email, of course if you want.
    Well if you take highway 5 to Kerns Road, head south and you will come to trail heads that head east and west. If you start going down the escarpment then you've gone too far...

The trails that head east loop around and end up back at Kerns Road or you end up at Highway 5. If you head west the singletrack goes all the way to highway 6. There's a huge variety of trail there...

To be safe you drive into Waterdown and stop at Bicycle Works and talk to the boys there, they can give you the heads up on all the best trails in the area...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Jun 2004
    Sorry jacek, I really don't know Burlington that well even though I've lived here for 5 years. rbart4506 gave great advice though. Going into Bicycle Works is probably something I should do to learn me the trails better.

What I do to get to the trails is usually head west along Plains Rd to a road across from the Zellers in Aldershot. Dunno the name of it off the top of my head. That takes me over the RR tracks and the 403 and eventually to a trail through an open field. Soon you'll find yourself in the woods with all sorts of single track. This way does not appear on your map as it's west of King Rd. King Rd. is another way up to the trails it goes up past Bayview park by a 2 lane road. It's a fairly steep uphill trek and by the time I make it up I'm exhausted so I tend to take the way I first mentioned. I'm stilll fairly out of shape.

If you find yourself on Snake Rd which snakes itself (hehe :| ) between Burlington and Waterdown there is a spot wher the road has wider shoulders. There are a couple access points to trails along there too.

When I head out there I just ride until I hit something I know which is usually Dundas street at the west end of Waterdown. There is definately some good stuff in there! If you find that New World cycle in Burlington (on Plains) is easier for you they used to do a Monday evening ride through this area and the guys there know it well. I'm guessing they still do this ride.