Just moved to Oak Ridges ...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just moved to Oak Ridges ...

Hello.

I just moved to Oak Ridges. Can anyone local direct me towards where the better trail options are? I do realize it's late March but soon enough things will dry out and I will get off my road bike and onto a proper bike.

I think my options are:

Albion (haven't been since the late 90s)
    Uxbridge (don't know anything except there are trails there on Strava)
    Palgrave (??)

Anything else? There are apparently some easy trails at Bayview and Stouffville?

Thanks for any local intel.

mtbr member
    I haven't been to Bayview-Stouffville in 10 years. However, the descriptions I have heard from others did not include the word 'easy'.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Bored
    Durham is closer than Albion. 30 minute drive. Also Ravenshoe/Brown Tract is really fast to reach now that the 404 has extended up to Ravenshoe Rd.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Bayview-Stouffville - not easy. Good. Sounds promising. I am a 10 minute pedal from there. Once it dries a little more I can post an update in case the Google picks this up later for someone else.

Durham - also haven't been there for a long time (~2000), but remember it being fun.

Ravenshoe I will investigate too. Last time I was there was 2006 and it seemed flat and buggy, but I may have been in the wrong place. Off to Strava I go ...

mtbr member
    You could consider joining the Durham Mountain Bike Association (active in York as well) and going on some of their group rides to learn the trails.

You'll find Durham Forest has changed quite a bit since you were last there. New trails and reroutes of old ones to make them more sustainable. There's a big 8km trail build going on this year in the adjacent Dagmar North property which opens up even more trails and creates the possibility for some long trail loops, >50km loops will likely be possible.

Good maps for the area here.

mtbr member
    Alright, joined DMBA. I will keep an eye on group rides over there.

Those maps are awesome - thanks! I will print some to pdf and keep them on my phone. This is all a big help.

mtbr member
    Update, in case this comes up for someone else in a search later:

Wednesday, I tried the trails at King City (Centennial). They were pretty mellow riding, and I think that would be a great place to bring my wife. Nice short loops too in case you get tired.

I rode Palgrave on Thursday. Trails there were fun. I'd call them more XC flow than anything, but it made for a great ride after work. There are a few extra fun spots with some little roller jumps.

Today I rode the Bayview/Stouffville trails and was surprised at the terrain - pleasantly surprised. Mostly black loam, plenty of riding, lots of fun trails and it's free. There are some great climbing and descending challenges in there.

Thanks for all the direction, I feel like I am getting somewhere.

mtbr member
    Cool that you have good riding nearby again!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I can try to organize a ride and BBQ with a few of the regulars - you're more than invited whenever that is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    Update, in case this comes up for someone else in a search later:

Wednesday, I tried the trails at King City (Centennial). They were pretty mellow riding, and I think that would be a great place to bring my wife. Nice short loops too in case you get tired.

I rode Palgrave on Thursday. Trails there were fun. I'd call them more XC flow than anything, but it made for a great ride after work. There are a few extra fun spots with some little roller jumps.

Today I rode the Bayview/Stouffville trails and was surprised at the terrain - pleasantly surprised. Mostly black loam, plenty of riding, lots of fun trails and it's free. There are some great climbing and descending challenges in there.

Thanks for all the direction, I feel like I am getting somewhere.
    How long is the centennial track? Is it just a few short loops?

How difficult is Bayview / Stouffville? Looking for something no to hard. First ride was at the Don. The intermediate tracks probably not the best choice for me for my first time. I want to head to Durham but afraid I will get lost or find my way on some very challenging track

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by herder View Post
    How long is the centennial track? Is it just a few short loops?

How difficult is Bayview / Stouffville? Looking for something no to hard. First ride was at the Don. The intermediate tracks probably not the best choice for me for my first time. I want to head to Durham but afraid I will get lost or find my way on some very challenging track
    There is not a lot of super challenging single track in Durham Forest. Mostley it is intermediate. An app called Maprika also has uploaded maps of Durham as well as the Walker Woods/Glen Major which is just across the 7th Concession from Durham.

If you want a tour pm me and I will see if we can get out.

Mike