just got back from gravenhurst area riding!!!!- Mtbr.com

Mar 2006

just got back from gravenhurst area riding!!!!

..well had a nice few days of riding in the muskoka area while on holidays:

Porcupine ridge - this place was awesome...and yes it is officially open (again). Lots of tight trails, rocks, and steep up and downhills......lots of boardwalk and trials type stuff spread out. There is a lot to explore here, unfortunately it was like 38 out and I could only handle an hour and a half of riding before I started hallucinating! Bug spray is a must. Kind of weird when you start at the trail head and are listening to christmas carols playing across the road at santa's village....

Buckwallow - nice clean park to ride in. Lots of trails to hit and great signage. I hit almost every trail......west d'nile (great rockline), do drop in (tight and lots of rocks)....and a few others were pretty challenging. No trials type obstacles, all natural ones.....but some of the rocks drops are pretty wild. Again, bug spray would be good here......the deer flies were especially bad out in the open areas...definite days worth of riding here.....

Hardwood Hills - pretty sweet riding here too.....ya it's 12$, but hey, that's not alot of money. Rode sidewinder, and gnarly.....actually found sidewinder more challenging?? Some real tight twisty sections......my diaboulous bars wouldn't even fit through some spots without walking her through. Lots of short uphills and downhills, but doable......didn't need to walk her. Definitely get a map that helped piles, just to guage where you are. Unfortunately the wind wasn't friendly later in the day and I was sucking in the dump fumes on the last half of gnarly....wasn't too bad though. Looks like they cut new trail too in the 'swamp' area on gnarly.....ground was still kinda soft and lots of sharp roots still sticking up...not very fun to ride, but it was only about 10 mins worth.....

I'd recommend all 3 of these spots, and will def. be going back a few times before the white stuff flies.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am on holidays next week. I might just have to get up there.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by hossy
    ..well had a nice few days of riding in the muskoka area while on holidays:

Porcupine ridge - this place was awesome...and yes it is officially open (again). Lots of tight trails, rocks, and steep up and downhills......lots of boardwalk and trials type stuff spread out. There is a lot to explore here, unfortunately it was like 38 out and I could only handle an hour and a half of riding before I started hallucinating! Bug spray is a must. Kind of weird when you start at the trail head and are listening to christmas carols playing across the road at santa's village....

Buckwallow - nice clean park to ride in. Lots of trails to hit and great signage. I hit almost every trail......west d'nile (great rockline), do drop in (tight and lots of rocks)....and a few others were pretty challenging. No trials type obstacles, all natural ones.....but some of the rocks drops are pretty wild. Again, bug spray would be good here......the deer flies were especially bad out in the open areas...definite days worth of riding here.....

Hardwood Hills - pretty sweet riding here too.....ya it's 12$, but hey, that's not alot of money. Rode sidewinder, and gnarly.....actually found sidewinder more challenging?? Some real tight twisty sections......my diaboulous bars wouldn't even fit through some spots without walking her through. Lots of short uphills and downhills, but doable......didn't need to walk her. Definitely get a map that helped piles, just to guage where you are. Unfortunately the wind wasn't friendly later in the day and I was sucking in the dump fumes on the last half of gnarly....wasn't too bad though. Looks like they cut new trail too in the 'swamp' area on gnarly.....ground was still kinda soft and lots of sharp roots still sticking up...not very fun to ride, but it was only about 10 mins worth.....

I'd recommend all 3 of these spots, and will def. be going back a few times before the white stuff flies.....
    You are LUCK-E.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That sounds like a great place. I definately have to try and get up there sometime this summer.

Mar 2006
    hitting porcupine and hardwood again this upcoming weekend......am super pumped!!!

Mar 2006
    well did her again.....and great riding!!! The crew from Ecclestone cycle were out on porcupine ridge, cleaning up and making repairs. I gotta say, as an aside, that if you are up that way stop in and check the store out....there are some cool guys working there, and very friendly!

Hardwood was descent....rode radical and sidewinder....had way more fun on sidewinder....there was some windfall too from the storms up that way, lots of branches across trails....etc....

all in all.......great riding!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by hossy
    well did her again.....and great riding!!! The crew from Ecclestone cycle were out on porcupine ridge, cleaning up and making repairs. I gotta say, as an aside, that if you are up that way stop in and check the store out....there are some cool guys working there, and very friendly!

Hardwood was descent....rode radical and sidewinder....had way more fun on sidewinder....there was some windfall too from the storms up that way, lots of branches across trails....etc....

all in all.......great riding!
    What is radical like? I have never ridden that one.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Looking for Adventure

Rode it yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    What is radical like? I have never ridden that one.
    You are constantly doing steeps up and down, and you are constantly thinking and concentrating on your line to clean things that are hidden around corners and surprising you (drops, massive exposed roots, rock gardens, etc.). Even though the mileage is not high, you will definitely blow a gasket along the trail and take a rest. In the past, I usually mixed in Radical trail sections with Gnarly and Sidewinder sections to ease off the intensity.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    You are constantly doing steeps up and down, and you are constantly thinking and concentrating on your line to clean things that are hidden around corners and surprising you (drops, massive exposed roots, rock gardens, etc.). Even though the mileage is not high, you will definitely blow a gasket along the trail and take a rest. In the past, I usually mixed in Radical trail sections with Gnarly and Sidewinder sections to ease off the intensity.
    That sounds really fun to me. Does not look like i will get up there again this year though.

How big are the drops?

Mar 2006
    radical is 100% cross country......very steep hills, and not very long downhill sections. Def. a trail for the endurance minded.......again, for 'fun'...I find sidewinder the best...you can really haul ass down the back half of it!! Radical is def. a step above gnarly though, for difficulty....suited best for a hardtail for all the climbing you do.

Looking for Adventure
    They always look bigger than when you measure them. Most are probably 2 to 3 feet and some have large exposed roots to worry about. What makes them tough is that you are already going down a steep hill with your tail behind the seat when you hit them.

Living Life Behind Bars..
    I went to Buckwallow today ( drove the 170 km from downtown Toronto ) gotta say everything I hear about this place is true. The owner Mike is a really nice guy and his trails are amazing. He was telling me he owns 300 plus acres and kudos to him and his helper they cleraed their trails of the storm damage with 2 down days. Hardwood is still not clear with their full time staff

The trails are short, well marked and tough. The Missing Link & West D' Nile where my favorites. Lots of tough drops for a xc guy like me but it was some of the best I have rode. Apparantly the National xc team trains here before hitting Fortune and QC for the similarity in terrain.

Anyway that's my $o.o2 I have not tried Satan's Village yet but I will definitly be hitting Bukwallow up agin this summer.

Thx

Mar 2006
    if you hit up buckwallo again dude...another 10 minutes and you might as well hit porcupine ridge as well...especially if you are coming up from the city. Lots of areas to camp alos, if you want to make it 2 days. Porcupine is alot tighter and technical IMO......but piles of fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0