Joyride 150 Women's Weekend Jan 31-Feb 1 2015- Mtbr.com
    Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

Joyride 150 Women's Weekend Jan 31-Feb 1 2015

Fifth annual women's weekend!
    Women?s Weekend 2015

If you've never tried it, now's the time! If you're looking to improve a specific skill, go for it! Always a fun time for all levels of rider.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Will be bringing my 7 year old daughter to this for a bit. Hopefully we will see others bring their daughters out that weekend.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Bump...because my daughter asked if she was going this Sunday instead of in a week. LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm a dad, and would bring my daughter if it was "parents" weekend :-(

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut View Post
    I'm a dad, and would bring my daughter if it was "parents" weekend :-(
    Well, you'd have to just watch her ride until noon, but park's open to all after that...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Well, you'd have to just watch her ride until noon, but park's open to all after that...
    ^^This.

Been thinking of this a little bit lately.

There has been much talk on the internet in the last year getting more girls interested in sport. And was talked about here once in the last few years. I have waited till Gabi showed more interest in riding like she did this year before asking her if she wanted to come back out to this weekend. I brought her out to see the Women's Weekend the first running and she still remembers coming out to Joyride that evening.

While she loves riding the pump track and fun stuff at the farm with me her dad. And that she tries things that most girls in her class wouldn't try. I want her to come out and spend a couple of hours near the likes of Nerdgirl and Louda and other girls/women riding challenging stuff. Because I want her to see more that girls can do that, can ride the log or get a little air. Seems insignificant but I have spent 7 plus years indirectly involved with women in sport to know that bringing my daughter to this weekend will in the end have an impact.

I look forward to seeing her try something new once she gets over being shy. And hearing when she is ready to hear her classic line....."I want you to go away Daddy" when she is ready to do it herself.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Will they be teaching us how to do this??

<iframe width='500' height='281' src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/394814/?colors=c80000' allowfullscreen frameborder='0'></iframe>

Actually, for the first time, I'm going with no agenda other than having fun. I don't plan to learn anything! I did finally remember to actually register! Ladies - see you Sunday!

mtbr member
    ^ I didn't know Jax Teller rode MTB. ; )

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Will they be teaching us how to do this??

Actually, for the first time, I'm going with no agenda other than having fun. I don't plan to learn anything! I did finally remember to actually register! Ladies - see you Sunday!
    My daughter's almost old enough for this, will be out in a year or two if it keeps going. Speaking of Matt McDuff, I think we crossed paths last friday on the PA day, I had no idea who he was but he took a moment for a few kind words for my son and his friend, seemed like a super nice guy and didn't come across with any attitude, I had no inkling he was any kind of expert. Now I see this video and I can't believe it!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    My daughter's almost old enough for this, will be out in a year or two if it keeps going!
    There have been really young girls that have enjoyed it too - worth considering...
    My three-year-old son is totally bummed he can't go.

mtbr member
    I've been there 2x in the last few years. Although it's pretty neat, I feel like an idiot with all the young'ns hanging around. 43 year old dad on a full-sus-carbon-xc bike. My kids love it though, I guess that's what counts.

mtbr member
    Once I got my fat bike last year, I stopped going. I found going on a Friday or Saturday at around 6:30 was perfect. The place was clearing out, and by 7:30 had most if it to myself. I made the mistake of going there on a Saturday in the early afternoon and it was a zoo. Basically stayed on the two skinny sections and pump tracks. The small jumps were packed. I don't do the big stuff or the street park stuff. I am old and catching too much air is ill advised for me. I have a Chameleon that I set up for that stuff. I think the women's weekends are fantastic.
    Burnt Norton

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    We've been enjoying the new(ish) Street Plaza too. A great spot for noodling and not as intimidating as the Vert Park. They've done some nice changes to the small jump line recently and a little tweaking to the big pump track (passing is now an option). I liked the new bits they added to the XC loop after they added the street plaza too. My son slides down the big hill on his bum.

They've also added weekly special nights:
    Tuesdays - Women get 50% off entrance and rentals
    Wednesdays - Pumptracks are set up for timed races 6-8pm
    Thursdays - "Old Guys Night" - If you're 30+, $17 after 6pm and 50% of rentals

mtbr member
    I see lots of riders in their 30s and 40s there. I wouldn't hesitate to go if you're in that boat.
    Like Thatshowiroll, I'm in my mid40s and ride (a pretty nice, IMO) full suspension bike. I have a blast there and it's an amazing way to keep riding throughout the winter.
    I only make it out a few times a year but when I go it's always great. Never feel out of place. If I have one complaint is that it's sometimes so popular it's packed. They could really use a large facility, but we're definitely lucky to have it.
    Speaking of larger facilities, Ray's MTB -- the grandaddy of indoor mtn bike parks -- is actually geared most to riders in their 40s/50s. Ray has said it's very important to him that this group keeps riding and have a place they feel comfortable doing it.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    That was super fun! Thanks to Joyride and all the sponsors for a wonderful time on my bike! Nice to see Lil' Ms. Enduramil out with a big smile on her face, along with lots of other smiles from young to old.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    That was super fun! Thanks to Joyride and all the sponsors for a wonderful time on my bike! Nice to see Lil' Ms. Enduramil out with a big smile on her face, along with lots of other smiles from young to old.
    Thanks to Nerdgirl and Louda everything today. Apparently Gabi thinks Louda is cool and she watched Louda do a few runs through the jump section..

Just starting...

3rd run before trying and doing rollers.

The most important photo of the day according to Gabi.

While it was a little overwhelming and with a crash. As well as some tears and a band aid later on. The request has been made to go back to Joyride in 2 weeks.