Jocelyn Lovell dies at 65- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Jocelyn Lovell dies at 65

Some you you older folks may remember his story. He was one of the country's greatest. It was a sad story in '83.
    Jocelyn Lovell, Canadian cyclist, dead at 65 - CBC Sports - Road to the Olympic Games summer sports
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

9 lives
    Sad news. He was a great cyclist and after an accident that put him in a wheelchair, he went on to start a bike company

Jocelyn Lovell dies at 65-jocelyn-lovell-track-bike.png

Jocelyn Lovell was one of the most feared and respected cyclists on the road and track in North America during the 1970’s. At the 1975 Canadian Championships, Lovell won virtually every event and has several Commonwealth, Pan American Games, and National Championship medals to his credit. Only an Olympic medal eluded him.

He was quite the rebel and liked to buck authority (much like Alexi Grewal). In 1973, while training in France for a big track race in Spain, Lovell “liberated” a box of cookies in the hotel the team was staying in. As a result, he got suspended from cycling for a year (later reduced to six months).

During the late 70’s or early 80’s, Lovell started to build his own frames. I’ve heard that he was taught by Guiseppi Marinoni who had built some bikes for him. Lovell was evidently a very creative bike designer – notice the “handlebars” in the photo above. I remember seeing a story about Lovell’s bikes on TV many years ago. He had designed a bike that used two thin seat tubes that allowed the rear wheel to slide between them, making it possible to use very short chainstays. Don’t know if that design ever made it into production.

Tragedy struck in April 1983 when Lovell was hit by a dump truck while he was out riding. He almost died and was left a quadriplegic. He sold his frame building business to Mike Mulholland who started to build his own well known Cyclops bicycles. For a time, Quebec company Velosport continued to make Lovell branded bikes but they were nowhere near the quality of the bikes Lovell made.

Today, bikes built by Jocelyn Lovell and very rare and cherished by anyone lucky enough to come across one. I read an article about Lovell that was written by Steve Tilford. I thought it was an excellent tribute from another cyclist who once competed against Lovell. You can read the article Jocelyn Lovell | Steve Tilford here.

Sauce: Maple Leaf Bikes - Canadian Bike Builders - La Bicycletta
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    In today's Globe & Mail

Canadian cyclist Jocelyn Lovell became fierce advocate for spinal-cord research - The Globe and Mail

It is unbelievable that the driver was not charged with a driving offence. Lovell got financial compensation so he could live the next 32-plus-years in relative comfort for someone that had his mobility destroyed, and his profession stolen from him.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

poser Administrator
    Wow, I grew up in canada and recall marinoni and lovell bikes under my cycling peers but never knew the story of Jocelyn Lovell. Thanks for sharing and sad that he is gone.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons