Jenson USA - New Canadian Shipper- Mtbr.com
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌

Jenson USA - New Canadian Shipper

FYI - Jenson would typically ship - even free shipping - via UPS, and I'd usually get the stuff next day. They've recently changed shipping partners to "Asendia", which I'm told ultimately sends it via post, to be delivered to us via Canada Post.

I think they've lost one of their competitive advantages. For example, if I want to wait 1-2 weeks for postal delivery, I can go to Chain Reaction Cycles, which often has an even better price, depending on the component. In addition, a nice side effect of post is that sometimes we don't pay taxes. (I'm not sure of the magic formula for this, but I'm sure we've all benefited from time to time.)

So, not only is Jenson shipping at the same speed as Chain Reaction now, they are still collecting taxes up front as they've done in the past. So, shipping time is identical, but now you have a 100% chance of paying taxes with Jenson.

I'm not sure if they understand the nuances here.

Just FYI.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I'm guessing free shipping via UPS was just costing them too much. I also just placed an order 2 days ago and was not pleased to see it didn't go via the usual UPS. The Asendia tracking doesn't seem terribly useful either... hoping they provide a bit more detail as it progresses towards the destination.

mtbr member
    Huh, I didn't even know Jenson did free shipping to Canada, so I'm actually glad to hear this (even if it sounds like asendia isn't the greatest).

CRC's selection actually seems kind of crappy lately, so the more options the better.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I ordered a bottom bracket that shipped eight days ago and it hasn't crossed the border yet. Still needs to change hands to Canada Post, hang out in customs for a bit and then snail mail to the local post office.

If they had to change shipping companies they should have used USPS like everyone else. Assendia seems slower and their tracking is one step above pointless. Black Friday and the Christmas rush are coming up, things won't be getting faster.

This will be my last Jenson order.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post

This will be my last Jenson order.
    You should give them that feedback directly. I did.

They think everyone loves the Asendia service - seriously.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i never had free shipping for jenson, always been charged no matter the order size

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, I'd actually swear that it's brand new. I've got $200 worth of brakes in my basket, and two weeks ago shipping was going to be something like $40? Today it's $0.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I wonder if it varies by zone within Canada?

I've made 5 orders so far in 2015 (earliest was 4/17). All of which are at least $150, usually because I pad the order with jerseys & stuff to make sure I hit the $150 free shipping threshold. First 4 had free shipping via UPS, which was amazing as it arrived next day.

5th order is still en route via Asendia, no tracking/ETA unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Weird. I'm in Alberta, if that matters.

But for me the brakes were definitely showing shipping, because a few weeks ago ebay was a much better deal than Jenson.

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    You should give them that feedback directly. I did.

They think everyone loves the Asendia service - seriously.
    I've provided my feed back to Jenson also. I've spend over $1300 with them in the last 6 months, primarily because of the fast free shipping. Likely more of my orders will be going to CRC and Merlin now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This sucks. I've used Jenson a lot lately, partly because of prices (and their to your door price), but also because of their phenomenal shipping. Last few times I've ordered something at lunchtime or later, and received it the next day (and I'm in the middle of the prairies).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Jenson has had free Canada shipping for a while. I just checked and I ordered in May with free shipping. Seems to me it fluctuates between minimum $150 and $200.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I had a brief email conversation with their IT Director (who apparently covers logistics too?) and I suggested that if they stick with Asendia they should stop collecting taxes up front.

He replied that they were proud of their "no surprises shipping policy" where you pay nothing else upon delivery.

I explained that their policy was great for couriers, given that DHL, FedEx, etc. all charge ridiculous processing fees, and indeed those were surprises. However with postal delivery, the import fee is always the same, and inexpensive, thus there are no surprises.

If anything Jenson has removed a nice surprise: they ensure you pay tax every time. At least with CRC we have a chance of a tax-free purchase.

I also asked him about a tiered free shipping model. Sure, OK, if I spend the minimum 150 USD I get free postal service. What if I spend $500? Would that qualify me for free UPS?

Workin for the weekend!
    I also asked him about a tiered free shipping model. Sure, OK, if I spend the minimum 150 USD I get free postal service. What if I spend $500? Would that qualify me for free UPS?
    Yes. This is the exact reason I would use Jenson, for the UPS no nonsense & fast shipping. I'd pile up a number of items and pull the trigger when it accumulated with enough "value".

Now if they can just sort out the vendor agreements that keep so many parts off their available to ship to Canada list. Ibis wheels & Fox parts are all monopolized by the sh!tty Canadian distributors outright.
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I spent $500 a couple of days ago. I saw, as I was checking out, that the estimated delivery time was a couple of weeks. I thought, Nah, and continued. Then I received the tracking info and saw the Asendia logo and a distinct downgrade in information. I used to use CRC, but have more often gone with Jenson in the last while because of the predictable shipping -- usually 2-3 days to my office on Vancouver Island. Pretty sure I'll now go back to CRC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    12 days and it hasn't even left the US. Eff this. Seems like a bait and switch sometime past July 2015 where UPS was 'free' for a while.

Bummer. There was a definite advantage there.

mtbr member
    2 1/2 weeks to get mine. Although that included a week screwing around in Idaho for some reason, and then Canada Post wandering around for another week.

So okay, ascendia kindof sucks.

I did an experiment though, and ordered from Jenson and CRC on the same day (CRC using the Post option, because I wanted to avoid DHL), and the CRC one still hasn't arrived.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    My first Ascendia order took about 2 weeks, and a CRC order after was also 2 weeks.

However the CRC shipment for $125 didn't get dinged for taxes while Jenson collects taxes on everything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wow - I got 2 packages from Merlin two weeks ago, both free shipping and both arrived in 6 days, fastest I think I've ever got a UK package. Maybe the Xmas rush has started.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Just to be fair to CRC though, I qualified for the next shipping level up, but opted for regular post in the hopes of bypassing taxes, and I got lucky. It could have been faster and still free shipping.

I feel lucky this past week, as I also ordered from ProBikeKit.ca (had never used them before), but they shipped from the UK. I also paid no duty/taxes on that either.

I should go to Vegas now.

mtbr member
    Just to be fair to CRC though, I qualified for the next shipping level up, but opted for regular post in the hopes of bypassing taxes, and I got lucky. It could have been faster and still free shipping.
    But one level up at crc is dhl now, and they always collect for something. I did the untracked option just because I hate dhl (although they are fast).

For a long time crc had their free, tracked option with parcel force, which was faster than the post office, and less shady than dhl.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    But one level up at crc is dhl now, and they always collect for something. I did the untracked option just because I hate dhl (although they are fast).

For a long time crc had their free, tracked option with parcel force, which was faster than the post office, and less shady than dhl.
    They still seem to have that although it might be order size/weight that determines it. My order with CRC last week, I picked the un-tracked postal option and the item actually shipped out by ParcelForce.

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, but I think parcelforce tried harder when it was tracked instead of untracked. For me then, I guess the options are:

Jenson: 2+ weeks, definitely tax
    CRC: 2++ weeks, maybe tax
    CRC DHL: less than a week, but with the "DHL tax"

(also wiggle, merlin, etc. But Jenson really does have the best selection, followed by CRC)

^ yeah, but I think parcelforce tried harder when it was tracked instead of untracked. For me then, I guess the options are:

Jenson: 2+ weeks, definitely tax
    CRC: 2++ weeks, maybe tax
    CRC DHL: less than a week, but with the "DHL tax"

(also wiggle, merlin, etc. But Jenson really does have the best selection, followed by CRC)
    Parcelforce is and has always been tracked. What I meant was CRC seems to still choose to use untracked Royal Mail vs. tracked Parcelforce even when you pick the untracked shipping option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Parcelforce is and has always been tracked. What I meant was CRC seems to still choose to use untracked Royal Mail vs. tracked Parcelforce even when you pick the untracked shipping option.
    Ya I had that happen too. I could get DHL but opted for untracked and got royal mail which really is untracked and slow. What happened to parcelforce damn it!

mtbr member
    So my untracked CRC parcel finally got here, after 3 weeks and a couple of days.

Has anyone else noticed that Canada Post has gotten a lot worse recently?

I have one final parcel, and it cleared customs in Burnaby on friday. It sat there for a few days, and showed up in Winnipeg late last night. And if I'm lucky it will make it's way back to Alberta by Friday. My Jenson/Ascendia order did the same thing except in reverse.

It used to be that after something cleared customs it would be out for delivery within two days at most. But now it seems to consistently be taking a week or more.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Time of year may play a role. I have one last outstanding parcel from CRC (via Royal Mail/Canada Post), and it is taking a loooong time. I suspect the volume of holiday shipping may be a factor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    An order I put in with Jenson 10 days ago has now made it to Pennsylvania. The box started out in L.A., 1500 miles due south of me, and has now moved diagonally across the continent at a slow pace. I get that it's moving through the most efficient postal channels, but at this rate the box will take three weeks to arrive. I think Jenson should have alerted people, during the checkout process, that new shipping systems could mean significantly longer shipping times. That way, I would at least have had the choice of paying more for expedited shipping. I will almost certainly go back to CRC after this.

mtbr member
    I'm unimpressed with the new Asendia shipping service from Jenson.

I ordered May 4th in the AM.

I was given a delivery date of May 16-17....It's May 18 today and according to Canada Post it's "out for delivery" after spending a week in Iowa.

Yes it's free (for orders over $150), but I used to love receiving stuff quickly from Jenson even if I had to pay for it.

By contrast, I also made an order from Bike Nashbar on May 12th which is arriving today via USPS/Can Post...yes it cost $24.99 and I realize there may be duties....
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

Workin for the weekend!
    Cost cutting is the biggest tool in the accountants toolbox these days... Every idiot with an MBA applies this little tidbit of customer dis-service in search of a fatter bottom line.

Jenson was a holdout for quite some time...

Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Cost cutting is the biggest tool in the accountants toolbox these days... Every idiot with an MBA applies this little tidbit of customer dis-service in search of a fatter bottom line.

Jenson was a holdout for quite some time...
    I think cost cutting when you are potentially losing money on every order due to high courier charges is understandable. I certainly want Jenson to still be in business for the future. The main issue I had was the lack of transparency when they decided to change shipping methods all of a sudden and an order that used to come next day instead took 1-2 weeks.

mtbr member
    My order from Jenson shipped May 2nd. May 18th, still not here. (GTA)

When I order from CRC overseas, it never takes more than 7 days to get to my door.

Jenson has become a joke.

Workin for the weekend!
    I think cost cutting when you are potentially losing money on every order due to high courier charges is understandable. I certainly want Jenson to still be in business for the future. The main issue I had was the lack of transparency when they decided to change shipping methods all of a sudden and an order that used to come next day instead took 1-2 weeks.
    I dunno. The idea to save a few points here on the bottom line, when the net reaction felt at the top line a few months later is silly. We're all in here talking about it, word of mouth in the cycling community travels fast.

Cost cutting puts the strain on the sales leg of the organization - wait for it...

I dunno. The idea to save a few points here on the bottom line, when the net reaction felt at the top line a few months later is silly. We're all in here talking about it, word of mouth in the cycling community travels fast.

Cost cutting puts the strain on the sales leg of the organization - wait for it...
    True, but if you're actually losing money on the sale that's a dangerous business model too. Jenson was my go to place when I needed something fast... if I wanted cheap it was places like CRC. None of the US retailers were offering free shipping to Canada at that time. When Jenson started offering free shipping to Canada that changed the equation, but I'm OK with going back to the old model if it keeps Jenson from going bankrupt. You can still get it shipped for free, you just need to be patient, or pay for the fast next day shipping.

Workin for the weekend!
    The great service at first then ok service to follow seems to be the strategy. Bit by bit that $150 will climb to $200, etc. It's the same thing for anything these days. Anything.

The end game is having a company like Amazon handle all of it and Jenson only facilitates the sale in their webspace, Amazon handles fulfillment.

Shipments to Canada will all originate in Canada...

The end game is having a company like Amazon handle all of it and Jenson only facilitates the sale in their webspace, Amazon handles fulfillment.

Shipments to Canada will all originate in Canada...
    I don't see that ever happening unfortunately... the Canadian distributor system with their stranglehold on product being sold in Canada would kill any price advantages we currently see buying from Jenson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    My order from Jenson shipped May 2nd. May 18th, still not here. (GTA)

When I order from CRC overseas, it never takes more than 7 days to get to my door.

Jenson has become a joke.
    Jenson is still fine....the issue is with the free Asendia shipping service.

I know next time if it's a rush, I'll pay extra for the UPS option (their old way).
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    I hear ya. I usually pay for the extra shipping, this time I forgot.
    My problem with Jenson, is that I got a "received your order" notice and only 4 days later did they send it out. I'm assuming paying for shipping would have expedited that process.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    Jenson is still fine....the issue is with the free Asendia shipping service.

I know next time if it's a rush, I'll pay extra for the UPS option (their old way).

mtbr member
    Asendia: "Asendia package late."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Asendia: "Asendia package late."
    At least they are honest about it...

mtbr member
    Update: Package crossed the border into Fort Eerie, Ontario on May 12. Today, it's May27... it's been in Ontario for 15 effin' days and still no package.

mtbr member
    Honestly, unless it's for stuff that you can't get anywhere else, I don't know why anyone would bother with Jenson anymore.
    All the new BS with shipping, waiting for weeks for your stuff, while prices are not that attractive anymore due to current exchange AND prepaying for all possible charges up front. All that while UK sites like CRC, Wiggle, Merlin, Ribble... all have way better prices for us Canadians, shipping in most cases is free and ships with Royal Mail/Canada Post and have averaged for me around 7-8 days. And in vast majority of cases, I end up paying nothing more and the package is in the mailbox.
    Just my opinion though, whatever works for people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    Honestly, unless it's for stuff that you can't get anywhere else, I don't know why anyone would bother with Jenson anymore.
    All the new BS with shipping, waiting for weeks for your stuff, while prices are not that attractive anymore due to current exchange AND prepaying for all possible charges up front. All that while UK sites like CRC, Wiggle, Merlin, Ribble... all have way better prices for us Canadians, shipping in most cases is free and ships with Royal Mail/Canada Post and have averaged for me around 7-8 days. And in vast majority of cases, I end up paying nothing more and the package is in the mailbox.
    Just my opinion though, whatever works for people.
    Again, nothing wrong with Jenson, just the Asendia service.

You can pay to get UPS like they used to have as standard.

The price match system Jenson has is still great and they have way more stock, and better prices on many items than the UK retailers (who have their own shipping issues with DHL).

To each their own
    Last edited by Swerny; 06-07-2016 at 06:06 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Probably won't use Jensen again until they improve shipping. Not their fault I suppose, just these Asendia guys. Ordered a dropper seat post worth about $250 couple weeks back.

My item stopped tracking once it hit the Canadian Border. The tracking doens't work with Canada post (not recognizable). Unless there is a tracking code conversion I'm suppose to do?

If it's not here in a couple of days guess I'll have to contact Jensen. As at that point it will be past their shipping estimate.

Pain in butt...

Again, nothing wrong with Jenson, just the Asendia service.

You can pay to get UPS like they used to have as standard.

The price match system Jenson has is till great and they have way more stock, and better prices n many items than the UK retailers (who have their own shipping issues with DHL).

To each their own

mtbr member
    My story exactly.
    Contacted Canada Post and they do not have the package yet. It is still with Asendia. Disappeared as soon as it crossed the border.
    I sent Jenson a message today, we'll see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by castlefield View Post
    Probably won't use Jensen again until they improve shipping. Not their fault I suppose, just these Asendia guys. Ordered a dropper seat post worth about $250 couple weeks back.

My item stopped tracking once it hit the Canadian Border. The tracking doens't work with Canada post (not recognizable). Unless there is a tracking code conversion I'm suppose to do?

If it's not here in a couple of days guess I'll have to contact Jensen. As at that point it will be past their shipping estimate.

Pain in butt...

mtbr member
    The two posts above are exactly what I was referring to in my previous post (#42)... I didn't reply to Swerny as there's no point arguing - as we both said, to each their own.

However, facts are facts. I get stuff shipped from all UK sites that I mentioned via Royal Mail ONLY, I make it clear when placing the order and have asked for assurance on a number of occasions that they in fact will ship using Royal Mail. No surprises with DHL - that probably refers to CRC before they let you choose Royal Mail shipping, they would ship using DHL at their discretion. Which, by the way, wouldn't be much different than dealing with Jenson - where you accept the fact you will pay everything possible up front, like duty, brokerage/handling fee and taxes. With Royal Mail /Canada Post there's always a big chance there will be nothing extra to pay. It's a lottery, really, although it has worked out 8 times out of 10 for me.

And as for pricing - unless we're really looking at different niches of stuff, most everything is cheaper from UK, too. Tires, clothing, brake pads, cockpit parts... And Shimano pricing.. blows Jenson out of the water. I got a complete front and back set of M9000 XTR brakes shipped and dropped of in my mail box for about CAD $350 this spring. Jenson has a single brake for $250 US dollars.

But yes, to each their own.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by castlefield View Post

Pain in butt...
    On my last Jenson order I used UPS. Got my shipping notice at 8pm, it was delivered by 2pm the next day. Waterloo Ontario area, no surprises and no disappointments. I've given up on Asendia.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I also used UPS shipping on an order of XTR brake pads from Jenson last week. For 4 sets, it still worked out cheaper than anywhere else. Fast and transparent in terms of cost. 5 min effort to compare prices, and I can still easily order from the UK or from Jenson, as appropriate. Not having useable free shipping sucks, but depending on the items, UPS is still viable.

mtbr member
    Jenson just sent out my order again, this time with UPS.
    Kudos to Jenson, suck it Asendia.

mtbr member
    The two posts above are exactly what I was referring to in my previous post (#42)... I didn't reply to Swerny as there's no point arguing - as we both said, to each their own.

However, facts are facts. I get stuff shipped from all UK sites that I mentioned via Royal Mail ONLY, I make it clear when placing the order and have asked for assurance on a number of occasions that they in fact will ship using Royal Mail. No surprises with DHL - that probably refers to CRC before they let you choose Royal Mail shipping, they would ship using DHL at their discretion. Which, by the way, wouldn't be much different than dealing with Jenson - where you accept the fact you will pay everything possible up front, like duty, brokerage/handling fee and taxes. With Royal Mail /Canada Post there's always a big chance there will be nothing extra to pay. It's a lottery, really, although it has worked out 8 times out of 10 for me.

And as for pricing - unless we're really looking at different niches of stuff, most everything is cheaper from UK, too. Tires, clothing, brake pads, cockpit parts... And Shimano pricing.. blows Jenson out of the water. I got a complete front and back set of M9000 XTR brakes shipped and dropped of in my mail box for about CAD $350 this spring. Jenson has a single brake for $250 US dollars.

But yes, to each their own.
    first off, I order from multiple places on both sides of the pond (Jenson, Bike Nashbar, CRC, Wiggle, On One etc). both.

For Shimano etc. then yes the UK is the way to go.

For clothing, SRAM stuff, helmets, gloves etc...it's way cheaper from Jenson in my experience. Rockshox and Fox are cheaper here.

Plus they have the easiest/best price match system out there.

Also, The UK has very limited selection of fat bike related stuff.

In general, I tend to order most of my road bike stuff from the UK and mountain from the US
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Here's a Jenson 15% off code.
    AXVNKFH2YGS7

mtbr member
    I ordered a helmet a few weeks ago and it arrived 12 business days later via Asendia.

I also ordered a complete bike and although my color was backordered for 2 weeks and although I paid an oversize surcharge, I noticed that it shipped out today via UPS Worldwide Saver. I'll believe it when I see it in the UPS system but I believe that's a next business day service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken View Post
    I also ordered a complete bike and although my color was backordered for 2 weeks and although I paid an oversize surcharge, I noticed that it shipped out today via UPS Worldwide Saver. I'll believe it when I see it in the UPS system but I believe that's a next business day service.
    Just out of curiosity, what customs fee's did they pre-charge you? I've always heard there is 13% duty on complete bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what customs fee's did they pre-charge you? I've always heard there is 13% duty on complete bikes.
    For Ontario they charge 13%, but that's sales tax (HST) not duty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For Ontario they charge 13%, but that's sales tax (HST) not duty.
    No, it's 13% duty plus taxes on complete bicycles.

The BikeBike Blog: Tariffs on Bicycles Imported to Canada

No, it's 13% duty plus taxes on complete bicycles.

The BikeBike Blog: Tariffs on Bicycles Imported to Canada
    I was answering your original question as to if they charge duties or not. Jenson is only charging HST, regardless of what the Tariffs might say.

mtbr member
    I currently reside in AB so they charged me 5% GST only. No duties.

Plus a $70 oversize shipping surcharge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was answering your original question as to if they charge duties or not. Jenson is only charging HST, regardless of what the Tariffs might say.
    Sorry, misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken View Post
    I currently reside in AB so they charged me 5% GST only. No duties.
    Plus a $70 oversize shipping surcharge.
    Wow, that's great.

New New Canadian Shipper

Just got shipping notice of my most recent order from Jenson and this time the free shipping is using a different carrier... UPS i-Parcel.

Will be interested to see how this compares... hopefully they don't use Canada Post for the final leg given the impending postal strike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just got shipping notice of my most recent order from Jenson and this time the free shipping is using a different carrier... UPS i-Parcel.

Will be interested to see how this compares... hopefully they don't use Canada Post for the final leg given the impending postal strike.
    Did you get your stuff yet? I made an order last night and noticed that it was being sent via UPS i-Parcel as well.

Mine is just showing hitting Canadian customs yesterday... they provide the UPS tracking number that will be used once it gets released. Faster so far than the previous method.

I received my package yesterday, delivered by UPS... not sure if this is the new method or just something they did for my order because the package was rather large (included a handlebar).

Order placed evening of July 4 and shipped on July 5. Delivered July 14 which is way better than Ascendia service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Nice. Good to know.

mtbr member
    TBS bikes in Canada (Kelowna, B.C) is the only online parts distributor I deal with now and there's zero costs for customs. They're pricing is very competative with CRC, and Jensen's. Cut out the customs B.S. and check them out - https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/
    After a night of chicken wings and beer, I like being out front sharing the exhaust!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by twodragunns View Post
    TBS bikes in Canada (Kelowna, B.C) is the only online parts distributor I deal with now and there's zero costs for customs. They're pricing is very competative with CRC, and Jensen's. Cut out the customs B.S. and check them out - https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/
    A quick browse does seem to confirm their pricing is pretty damn good. (Same price as Jenson for XT M8000 brakes). Thanks man! Been looking for a good Canadian online retailer.

mtbr member
    No worries, yw ....... I've been able to purchase Shimano Saint brakes for my enduro bike for a paltry $199 a side from this Canadian online bike parts retailer!
    Also picked up a Deity Mowhawk D31 bar for my fat bike for a cheaper price than both CRC and Jensen's. No need to order parts from over the pond or south of our border any longer, because 3 good Canadian riders decided Canadians need a better alternative for all their mtb parts needs and opened TBS bike parts.
    After a night of chicken wings and beer, I like being out front sharing the exhaust!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've had issues with Ascendia's tracking in the past. With them the tracking works until it hits the border and once it is in Canada it switched over to Canada Post. My problem is that it doesn't always switch over making it impossible to track. I contacted Jenson about this issue and they contacted Ascendia for me and got it straightened out.

I just recently order some Schwalbe tires from Jenson and the tracking was with UPS and not Ascendia so maybe they have switched again. Either way it is still going to take at least a week to get anything if it has to cross the border. This is where stuff gets held up.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Fun to see this thread still going - haven't bought from Jenson since I started it.

Quote Originally Posted by thebrown View Post

I just recently order some Schwalbe tires from Jenson and the tracking was with UPS and not Ascendia so maybe they have switched again ...
    FYI, for Schwalbe, it's cheaper to buy closer to Germany:

Thunder Burt, 29", 2.25", Pacestar, Snakeskin, TL Easy

Jenson --> $93 CAD (1.33 rate to USD, claimed 24% off, BTW)
    bike24.de ---> $49 CAD (1.45 rate to EUR)

...before taxes and shipping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I got a set of Schwalbe-Hans Dampf-27.5" Folding Tires--Snakeskin-Trail-Star-Tl-Ready for $20 a piece and with shipping it was under $60. I seriously doubt there is a better deal than that anywhere.

mtbr member
    My last 3 orders from Jenson I paid for shipping, usually between $20-$30, package arrives on my doorstep in a few days and is easily tracked. The most recent order shipped Monday and is due to arrive Wednesday morning, well worth the extra $$ for piece of mind, plus I'm impatient :-)
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not impressed with Jenson this time. With all the stuff on sale, bought enough to get the free shipping. They sent the email telling me it was shipped Dec 6 with a tracking number. A week later UPS is still only showing the electronic shipping form was submitted. Send Jenson an email, not answered. Finally UPS actually receives the package Dec 16, 10 days later. I assume I should get it soon.
    I've been finding a lot of places are doing this, sending a shipment email when they do up the shipping forms but it doesn't actually leave the warehouse until days later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Jenson charges a huge shipping fee. UPS even charge more money when package arrive here.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Jenson charges a huge shipping fee. UPS even charge more money when package arrive here.
    That shouldn't happen: "To your doorstep price. You will not be responsible for brokerage, duties, or taxes upon delivery."

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Jenson shipping is usually expensive plus you have to pay taxes but it is all inclusive - no additional charges at the door.
    I bought enough that I got free shipping.

mtbr member
    actually they don't, and there are no extra fees.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

No. Just No.
    To be fair to all below, Picard's statement was correct - a few years ago - and if someone has stayed clear of Jenson since that time for this exact reason, they wouldn't be aware of Jenson's current format for handling of Canadian orders.

That shouldn't happen: "To your doorstep price. You will not be responsible for brokerage, duties, or taxes upon delivery."
    Jenson shipping is usually expensive plus you have to pay taxes but it is all inclusive - no additional charges at the door.
    I bought enough that I got free shipping.
    actually they don't, and there are no extra fees.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    The great thing with Jenson is there are no surprise fees at the door, everything is shown upfront unlike some other sources. If you don't like the shipping fees just opt for the slower cheaper free shipping.
    As far as shipping fees if you sit down and think about all the steps involved in getting that package across the country and on your doorstep in just a few days, it's pretty cheap IMO. It cost more in fuel to drive to the LBS in most cases.
    I've ordered several times from Jenson and never had a problem.
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    The great thing with Jenson is there are no surprise fees at the door, everything is shown upfront unlike some other sources. If you don't like the shipping fees just opt for the slower cheaper free shipping.
    As far as shipping fees if you sit down and think about all the steps involved in getting that package across the country and on your doorstep in just a few days, it's pretty cheap IMO. It cost more in fuel to drive to the LBS in most cases.
    I've ordered several times from Jenson and never had a problem.
    The original point of the thread is that free shipping used to be (effectively) next day from UPS, then they downgraded it to slow post.

While I get that from a cost perspective, it is disappointing when you're spending, say >$500 in some instances. You'd think they'd retain a threshold where free UPS was still included.

Even worse, if I am not pressed for time, I'll go elsewhere. Why? Jenson continues to pre-collect taxes, even on free shipping, postal orders. Meanwhile, some others - such as CRC - don't. So while both packages probably arrive in 2-3 weeks, with Jenson I've paid taxes for sure, and with CRC there's at least a chance they won't collect.

mtbr member
    Jenson continues to pre-collect taxes, even on free shipping, postal orders. Meanwhile, some others - such as CRC - don't. So while both packages probably arrive in 2-3 weeks, with Jenson I've paid taxes for sure, and with CRC there's at least a chance they won't collect.
    and with CRC. there's an equal chance you will get hit with additional duty and/or brokerage charges whereas with Jenson you have cost certainty.

To each their own and I order from both

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    To be fair to all below, Picard's statement was correct - a few years ago - and if someone has stayed clear of Jenson since that time for this exact reason, they wouldn't be aware of Jenson's current format for handling of Canadian orders.
    right, but Picard's statement was from a week ago...making it incorrect...as we have all pointed out.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Thought I'd share a recent example for the KMC X11SL chain:

Jenson - 163.74 CAD (based on their FX), 12.97 shipping, 21.29 taxes collected, total 198 CAD.
    Chain Reaction - 115.99 CAD (based on their FX), free shipping, no taxes collected up front, total 115.99 CAD.
    bike24.de - 61.26 EUR (88.82 CAD based on market FX), 19.95 EUR (28.92 CAD) shipping, no taxes collected up front, total 117.74 CAD.

Jenson won't price match on this item, but even if they matched either competitor's price, their combination of tax collection and shipping fees still make German and Northern Ireland purchases competitive, especially if you don't get dinged for duties in Canada. This shouldn't be possible.

(In this case, CR was out of stock, I bought from bike24, and paid no taxes nor duties.)

mtbr member
    You paid $117.74, for a chain? WTF is the world coming to?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for I suck at brake control. Heres a free tip: get better."

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    You paid $117.74, for a chain? WTF is the world coming to?
    It predicts the future, and makes me breakfast.

Workin for the weekend!

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Different one.

In any event, point was that the pre-tax collection puts Jenson at a disadvantage, and when that's coupled with shipping times that are close enough to CR or other vendors, it makes it tough to buy there.

mtbr member
    Different one.

In any event, point was that the pre-tax collection puts Jenson at a disadvantage, and when that's coupled with shipping times that are close enough to CR or other vendors, it makes it tough to buy there.
    For that 1 item...maybe.

I have bought tons of stuff from Jenson i couldn't even get from CRC and their price match system is great.

I bought a Bluto fork they advertised for $600. Got it price matched for $475 against a site having a promo.

I still got free shipping and it arrived within 2 weeks with no additional charges other than 13% HST.

CRC didn't even offer the item at any cost
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

●●●●●●●●◌◌

I have bought tons of stuff from Jenson i couldn't even get from CRC and their price match system is great.
    There are many products that other vendors sell that aren't available from Jenson, and vice versa.

My price match request wasn't accepted, so not so great in my case. I believe they have a blanket policy to not match CRC, but I may be mistaken. (?)

I bought a Bluto fork they advertised for $600. Got it price matched for $475 against a site having a promo.
    Arguably they should have price matched it for $420.35, depending on your risk aversion.

I still got free shipping and it arrived within 2 weeks with no additional charges other than 13% HST.

It used to be 2 or even next-day free shipping. For the amount I used to spend at Jenson, and your decent Bluto order, it is surely a step back to wait 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    There are many products that other vendors sell that aren't available from Jenson, and vice versa.

My price match request wasn't accepted, so not so great in my case. I believe they have a blanket policy to not match CRC, but I may be mistaken. (?)

Arguably they should have price matched it for $420.35, depending on your risk aversion.

It used to be 2 or even next-day free shipping. For the amount I used to spend at Jenson, and your decent Bluto order, it is surely a step back to wait 2 weeks.
    not sure what you're talking about in regards to the price I paid. Jenson doesn't give you an additional 10% off the lowest competitor's price.

No they don't price match UK pricing.

The old UPS shipping used to be cheap, but I don't recall it being free. Others in this thread seem to agree.

The current slow service (Ascendia) is free, UPS is still an option but not free.

Anyway, from my experience, i buy Shimano stuff and most of my road bike stuff from the UK.

SRAM, clothing and MTB stuff mostly from the US (jenson & Nashbar)

Funny, i need some road parts and i checked the CRC website...they don't have a single SRAM or Shimano 10 speed road chain in stock.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    ^crc stopped carrying sram maybe 6 months or a year ago. Or it's possible they carry it, but won't let north americans order it. Something like that, anyway.

^crc stopped carrying sram maybe 6 months or a year ago. Or it's possible they carry it, but won't let north americans order it. Something like that, anyway.
    Correct, CRC still carries SRAM, but their website hides certain brands from you based on your ship to country.

mtbr member
    Funny, i need some road parts and i checked the CRC website...they don't have a single SRAM or Shimano 10 speed road chain in stock.
    Check again. They have a few 10-speed chains in stock. I just received an Ultegra 6701 10-speed chain from them yesterday.

●●●●●●●●◌◌

not sure what you're talking about in regards to the price I paid. Jenson doesn't give you an additional 10% off the lowest competitor's price.

I meant that their pre-collection of tax is something you have to account for in the final price you pay. $420.35 + 13% HST is the same as $475 without taxes collected.

While I agree duties and brokerage fees are a crapshoot, my last several orders from European bike shops came via regular post, with nothing extra charged.

mtbr member
    Check again. They have a few 10-speed chains in stock. I just received an Ultegra 6701 10-speed chain from them yesterday.
    weird, when i search by "road/10 speed" chains it doesn't show up...but it does when i searched Ultegra.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Looks like Jenson has upgraded their free shipping to Canada, FedEx I believe.
    Free shipping is quoted as only a day or two longer than paid, 5 days or so. I just placed an order so we shall see...

Edit: Fed Ex was mentioned in their shipping info for international shipping but package shipped with UPS.
    Last edited by Fat-in-Fundy; 11-21-2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Update:
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Interesting, please let us know how it goes, thx.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure that is the case. I paced and order using free shipping and it shipped with UPS I-parcel. That was November 9 and still waiting. Tracking info is virtually useless and speed is very slow. ETA when I ordered was about 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky View Post
    Not sure that is the case. I paced and order using free shipping and it shipped with UPS I-parcel. That was November 9 and still waiting. Tracking info is virtually useless and speed is very slow. ETA when I ordered was about 2 weeks.
    Last week when I looked it was still the old 2 to 3 week delay, yesterday it switched to the following; (see below)

I'll follow up when I see some tracking info next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jenson USA - New Canadian Shipper-jenson.jpg  

'18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Interesting, please let us know how it goes, thx.
    Ordered Saturday, shipped UPS for free on Monday, scheduled to arrive on Thursday.
    From what I can see they're shipping all Canadian orders over $150 for free now with UPS, less than $150 it looks like they still are using UPS but with the shipping charge (I no longer see an option for free shipping on the smaller orders).
    Looks like they may have heard all the complaints about the slow shipping. If it doesn't show up Thursday as scheduled I'll report back but so far the tracking is right on schedule.
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    FYI - It seems that Jenson is no longer shipping SRAM to Canada?
    I just tried to order some new rotors and a shifter, no longer shipping to Canada message popped up.
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    I just tried to order some new rotors and a shifter, no longer shipping to Canada message popped up.
    Didn't knew about that but had good luck recently with canadabicycleparts.com with a complete Gx drivetrain. They are based in Mtl, their prices are fair and shipping was fast...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo spring '19...

mtbr member
    This is really unfortunate.

mtbr member
    same here for a cassette. It worked fine 2 weeks ago.

Damn
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    same here for a cassette. It worked fine 2 weeks ago.

Damn
    Checked today and the restriction seems to have been removed, placed an order for 2 SRAM rotors and just received confirmation that they shipped.
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Checked today and the restriction seems to have been removed, placed an order for 2 SRAM rotors and just received confirmation that they shipped.
    Im still getting the restriction. Tried a couple different SRAM / Rock Shox products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Im still getting the restriction. Tried a couple different SRAM / Rock Shox products
    I'm not sure what's going on with them, sent an email inquiry but haven't gotten a response. I checked this morning and it was showing the restriction message again. Tried again this afternoon and is not showing anymore.
    My order shipped complete with two SRAM products, looks to be on it's way with no problems so far. Strange for sure.
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hope I'm wrong.. This is seems to be a change in Sram/RockShox policy - this follows what Fox has been doing for a number of years. Geo restricting what countries mail order houses are allow to ship - what product and to where.
    This is to "protect" the regional distributors and LBS
    You will start to find as well that via the web, certain websites will only display certain results depending upon where your located by determining the IP address of your computer. Ritchey Logic for example, I talked to them last week looking for small parts - all I wanted was the SKU so I could order and the website directs you to the local retailer - if you look at the US website all the info is there. (you need to have a US IP address to see it) Talking directly with their support people they provided me with the information I was looking for.
    So in my case I always have issues with the LBS response to getting small parts - either 30$ for a 10$ part anywhere else or the part is "unavailable" and in some cases I have been directly told that it's not worth the effort - in the case of Hope brakes service parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I'm about to place a $450 order with Jenson to Canada but am curious about duties etc. I found a page that says duties are covered ahead of time and they ship with UPS but I can't actually find a link to that page within their site! Anyone know if this still holds true? https://www.jensonusa.com/our-cultur.../international

mtbr member
    The shipping has to be expressly listed as "Duty Paid".

Otherwise, it's open season for the shipper to basically charge whatever they want.

I got a crash replacement on a rear rim directly from a US manufacturer last month. It was $200, and FedEx managed to add about $70 to their $65 shipping cost, in addition to the HST, using a bunch of fees that sounded like they made them up on the spot.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by linner View Post
    I'm about to place a $450 order with Jenson to Canada but am curious about duties etc. I found a page that says duties are covered ahead of time and they ship with UPS but I can't actually find a link to that page within their site! Anyone know if this still holds true? https://www.jensonusa.com/our-cultur.../international
    I received a shipment with ~$200 worth of parts from Jenson just two weeks ago, delivered with UPS quickly, shipping was free and there were no extra fees. IIRC when checking out it specifically stated there would be no added duties or charges, and that was the case.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Jenson ships duty paid, you won't get hit with any added fees. I have ordered from them dozens of times over the years.
    Last edited by Swerny; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:35 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    I received a shipment with ~$200 worth of parts from Jenson just two weeks ago, delivered with UPS quickly, shipping was free and there were no extra fees. IIRC when checking out it specifically stated there would be no added duties or charges, and that was the case.
    Thanks for confirming. I started this thread almost 4 years ago when Jenson moved to Ascendia for cost-cutting reasons.

I went from a frequent, decent-spending customer, to just 1 purchase over that timeframe.

Given they have reversed their decision, I may return more frequently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    i just did my first order will the 70$ on my card be in US$ i am in quebec, i will save either way

mtbr member
    I just ordered again last week and they are back to using UPS. My order arrived in 2 days from California with no added fees.

Shipping was also free as I bought more than $150 USD worth of stuff.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6