Jenson & not shipping to Canada- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

Jenson & not shipping to Canada

Jenson on-line has product ( ie frames,shocks) that they will not ship to Canada, but will ship to USA address. So can I have stuff shipped to friends south of the border and in turn have them ship it to me without running into "snags"? I expect the goods should be labelled "gift"? Or alternately have them bring it with them when they visit? Anyone with experience(s) along this line?
    Some of the prices are just sooo attractive on discontinued or last year product.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Jenson on-line has product ( ie frames,shocks) that they will not ship to Canada, but will ship to USA address. So can I have stuff shipped to friends south of the border and in turn have them ship it to me without running into "snags"? I expect the goods should be labelled "gift"? Or alternately have them bring it with them when they visit? Anyone with experience(s) along this line?
    Some of the prices are just sooo attractive on discontinued or last year product.
    Answering the first part of the question, this is simply a "channel conflict" i.e. the manufacturer has regional and/or international distribution agreements set up and doesn't want to upset the apple cart by having those distributors and retailers cross over into each other's territories. Some manufacturers control this more tightly than others within the terms of their distribution agreements.

Canada Customs doesn't care though, so if your friends ship to you after the retailer ships to them the channel conflict goes away.

The other potential complexities of cross-border shipping are another topic altogether and can definitely have some snags if you don't know what you're doing. Taxes and duties may vary by product and place of manufacture, even within the context of bicycle related goods. Tagging something as a "gift" to avoid the full customs routine is kind of yesteryear. You could get lucky, but with the huge amount of e-transactions that now take place, customs agencies are typically a little more on the ball and calling it a gift won't necessarily get you a free pass. If they feel you are trying to do so to skirt taxes and duties they may take exception and make the clearance process more painful for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Do they charge extra's for zip ties?

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Do they charge extra's for zip ties?
    While I could look up the appropriate HS code and find the specific tariffs for zip ties, I will leave that to others since I only buy my zip ties (however unwillingly) from Canadian retailers and therefore am not a 1st party to the import process.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    If they feel you are trying to do so to skirt taxes and duties they may take exception and make the clearance process more painful for you.
    I don't object to paying taxes & duty if I know ahead of time how much those charges are and I can then decide if the charges are acceptable to me...before I commit.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Tagging something as a "gift" to avoid the full customs routine is kind of yesteryear.
    Yea I thought as much. So by not declaring anything Canada Customs just adds on duty and taxes?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't object to paying taxes & duty if I know ahead of time how much those charges are and I can then decide if the charges are acceptable to me...before I commit.
    I've never been charged duty on anything handled by Canada Post. I've had stuff come in from the US, China, Taiwan, multiple European countries and only ever get charged the taxes plus their $5 (maybe $7 now?) handling fee. Jenson, Cambriabike, Wiggle and CRC all label the package simply as bicycle parts, without any special tarriff codes. Even when all I order is socks and t-shirts from Cambria, it's still labelled bicycle parts.

In fact, the only time I have EVER seen someone get charged duty at the border was when importing a German built VW.

If you feel like a trip to niagara falls, you can ship it here and go pick it up. I've been using that place for over 10 years.

Muskoka
    Thanks for the info nickboers!
    Since I work for a multi-national with facilities also in Ohio, I could have it shipped there attn of a co-worker/contact. They could then ship it on to me company to comapny. Also lots of inter site trips so someone else or myself could bring it back.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    I've never been charged duty on anything handled by Canada Post. I've had stuff come in from the US, China, Taiwan, multiple European countries and only ever get charged the taxes plus their $5 (maybe $7 now?) handling fee. Jenson, Cambriabike, Wiggle and CRC all label the package simply as bicycle parts, without any special tarriff codes.
    Read the fine print. It's because "bicycle parts" have a 0% duty tariff rate. Try importing a fully built bicycle though and see what happens, unless you can show that it qualifies as made in a NAFTA zone (technically that means majority of components also, which is tough to accomplish). Fully assembled wheels not built from parts made in NAFTA zone are also subject to duty, also if the customs officer isn't sharp that can often be smoothed through as "bicycle parts" also.

Even when all I order is socks and t-shirts from Cambria, it's still labelled bicycle parts.
    Good bet, unless you happen to be one of the unlucky random quota searches where they decide to open the box and inspect.

In fact, the only time I have EVER seen someone get charged duty at the border was when importing a German built VW.
    Your experiences differ from mine. From what I've observed any clothing, shoes, etc. above small dollar amounts will usually get charged taxes plus duties, unless you're close to your exemption limits by duration of stay. Maybe for better treatment I need to make less snide comments at the border crossing about lazy ass customs agents?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As above, no problem (you are lucky to have someone in the US that you can ship to).
    One thing to note though, have your contact ship to you using USPS, not UPS, Fedex, etc.
    Chances are you won't get charged duty with USPS/Canada Post and if you do it will just be the duty. The private companies charge ridiculous "brokerage fees" on cross border parcels.

Muskoka

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

sock puppet
    Ship it to Ohio and then either pick it up or have someone deliver it to you when they come to Ontario.

Simplest and safest.. Cheapest too...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How about just supporting your LBS.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by hairdoo View Post
    I'm considering that option too.
    Prices on the complete 2011 build are coming down.
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 06-28-2011 at 03:17 PM.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member

You now know two: I was charged $30 duty on an old Ibis jersey I bought a few years ago.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Not sure if you meant the frame in your post, but looks like they will ship that one directly to Canada.

As for other stuff in general that can't be shipped to Canada, double-check the warranty first. It would be painful to have an American friend cross-ship you an expensive carbon frame, only to find out you are not eligible for warranty.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Not sure if you meant the frame in your post, but looks like they will ship that one directly to Canada.

As for other stuff in general that can't be shipped to Canada, double-check the warranty first. It would be painful to have an American friend cross-ship you an expensive carbon frame, only to find out you are not eligible for warranty.
    Good point!
    No, when I put it in my shopping cart and It checks my ship-to address, message comes up not shipped to Canada. Same for the fork.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

No. Just No.
    Yea I thought as much. So by not declaring anything Canada Customs just adds on duty and taxes?
    Sorry, just realized I didn't specifically respond to your question above. Customs will usually accept the value of the goods as being the same as the purchase receipts. However, in cases where there is no receipt, or else they have reason to believe that the documentation / receipt does not reflect the actual value of the goods, they can assess their own value and charge taxes and customs based on that value.

Keeping this in context I've never heard of that being applied for commercial goods on sale prices when a receipt is available e.g. sending a Rolex across the border and having a receipt saying you bought it for $1. That's just not going to fly if your package comes up as one of those they decide to inspect.

I'm not sure how that calculator you linked will be entirely useful, since it doesn't ask what type of goods and therefore will not be able to tell you what duty %, if any, is applicable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    You now know two: I was charged $30 duty on an old Ibis jersey I bought a few years ago.
    Duty, as in a % charged based on the country of origin, or the sales tax? I know many (or most) people get confused between the two. Gotta count on paying taxes on any amount over $50 or so, but duty, only seen it happen once.

wwg
    No Class
    I have ordered quite a variety of items (bike parts, books, clothes, etc.) and routinely get charged tax. I have only once been charged duty and it was for a wheelset.
    Q: Who's faster than me?
    A: Just about everybody, including your oldest living relative.

GAME ON!
    i ordered a yeti frame from jenson a year ago and had it shipped to a friend in texas. jenson said the warranty would still apply to the frame regardless of where the actual shipping or residential address was. also, as far as i know, parts and framesmade in canada should be exempt from any sort of duty. and that rocky mtn. frame is eligible to be shipped to canada.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Built bikes-roughly 13% duty
    wheel sets-roughly 6.1% duty
    Bike parts- No duty

The bike parts are supposed to be made in the USA. Buying Magura brakes does not qualify for duty free. The problem with Canada custums is they subcontract out the sorting and really no one cares. I have spent 1000's in the last 10 years ording from the states. No issues, None. I have also ordered from the UK and France. The only issue I have have had is a rear dereaileur was labled bike. I was charged 13%. The box was 8" square.

jenson is great to deal with. Shipping to Canada is fantastic. I ordered a stem part and it took less than 36 hours from California to my door.

Originally Posted by hairdoo
    I do(1000's). but lately maybe they should put some effort into supporting me. The tiresome line of saying "but we bought the stuff last fall when the dollar was lower " is getting thin. Lower your prices and I will shop at my LBS.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I have to agree with "mmmm" here.

I'll pay more (and sometimes much more) at my LBS to account for their expertise, and to get something right away, but I have my limit.

Take the example of M985 XTR Trail pedals that I recently bought. (Bear in mind that the MSRP is 249 USD.)

-LBS #1 - not stocked
    -LBS #2 - 299 CAD
    -Canadian online shop (that advertises on this site) - 289 CAD
    -US online shop (also an advertiser here) - 199 USD
    -German online shop - 83.95 EUR (123.30 CAD, via Mastercard's rip off rate)

Shipping, BTW, from Dresden Germany is 19.95 EUR, and was for 2 sets of pedals.

In this case buying from Germany is less than half the price, so I had to go for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jenson offers a guarantee now that you will not pay duty or any more taxes shipping to Canada. I guess they worked something out with UPS, but now you have to pay GST and PST on top of the shipping and total purchase, which kind of sucks, but most stuff is still cheaper than your local bike shop.

I was going to buy this frame: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Frame+11.aspx

For a friends bike build, but they do not ship to Canada.

I called around to almost every Rocky Mountain dealer in southern Ontario and they said they either can't get it, or it would cost me 2200 bucks! Long story short, local bke shops told rocky mountain to shove it when they called the LBS and asked them to sell it to me for 600 bucks Canadian (the MSRP for Canada as well) as it wasn't enough profit for them to do it.

meh..Living in LA the bike parts were way more cheaper than around here. Jenson won't ship here on certain items as the local area price gouging has to be protected, which sucks. You can definitely get around it by shipping to an American address and crossing the border yourself, out of the 10 times I have done this, 2 times I got dinged with extra taxes, the rest they just let me through.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    You apparently didn't bother checking with Bicyclette Du Hull in Gatineau, Quebec... they're the Nomade2000 seller on ebay canada. They're the largest Rocky Dealer in canada in terms of sales.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    You apparently didn't bother checking with Bicyclette Du Hull in Gatineau, Quebec... they're the Nomade2000 seller on ebay canada. They're the largest Rocky Dealer in canada in terms of sales.
    A: I said Southern Ontario

B: I emailed them and they don't have the frame in stock. In fact they hardly have any 2011 frames in stock. They are just selling off old RM frames on Ebay.

Easy way to tell the difference between older frames now, the tapered head tube. All of the frames Nomade2000 sells have the standard 1/1/8 tube which means they are older than 2010.

Thanks for helping out though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm View Post
    I do(1000's). but lately maybe they should put some effort into supporting me. The tiresome line of saying "but we bought the stuff last fall when the dollar was lower " is getting thin. Lower your prices and I will shop at my LBS.
    Exactly. Now that the exchange rate is even or above the us dollar, local bike shops will be losing big business because of their price gouging here. There are some nice people at the shops but even they admit their prices are way too high when you compare them to us dealers, even at wholesale because there is a monopoly in the distribution around Canada of only Norco and Lambert which keeps prices in canada way too high.

I lived in L.A for 3 years and a bike build with xt components with a rocky mountain frame would cost 1200 compared to if I built it here I would have to pay over 4 grand. That's not just a bit of a mark up to make a profit (understandable) that is ripping people off.

When I went into the Jenson store in California, they even said over 1/3rd of their sales were from Canada when I struck up a conversation, which given the monopolistic environment up here, it's no surprise at all.
    Last edited by BrokenAnimator; 07-04-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Does Rocky honor warranty for bikes/frames sold via EBAY? I know many manufacturers will not.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    Does Rocky honor warranty for bikes/frames sold via EBAY? I know many manufacturers will not.
    if they are an official dealer, then yes.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    Maybe, it's a grey area and depends on the individual rep making the warranty decision. 5 years I been building bikes I have warrantied maybe 3 frames. Each time, no matter what company it is, they will look for a reason not to warranty it, first ie: crash damage, sale of receipt and so on.

Buying off Ebay if the bike serial number does not match the original Rocky Mountain re seller then they will not warranty it. So depending on the receipt (if any) the ebay seller gives you and if they keep a record that RM can see as proof of purchase then you might get the warranty or not.

Bottomline, Ebay for me would be a very very last resort, as it gives RM a reason not to warranty the frame if they want to.