Jacket and shoe recommendation- Mtbr.com
    db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New question here. Jacket and shoe recommendation

Looking for some input, will be traveling with some camping etc - hopefully some extended riding as well. Looking for a breathable jacket for riding, but I could wear into town , also stowable would be great, so I could carry as well - brands / features

Shoes, currently ride low end spd's plastic soles (and old) - wanting to treat myself - input what to look for - obviously fit is personal but able to dry in a tent ( it never rains right ) heel hold down currently I have Velcro straps and they tend to not hold my heel in as well as I would like.
    Boa or ratchet - suggestions - opinions - sidi' worth the $, mec sells northwave, I've heard of them but don't know anyone who has a pair

Thank you

Evil Jr.
    I won't be much help with the jacket but I will say that of all the shoes I own, my Sidi Dominator 5s are my favourite. They seem to hit the sweet spot in the price vs. value range at Sidi.

Caveat: I am slightly flat footed. If you have narrow feet, you may want to look at something else.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    There are tons of jacket choices that are not limited to bike ones. Check out some of the running jackets out there.

I have tried a couple of mountain bike and road shoes over the years, and I really like SIDI. They wear great and most of all they fit me well. The fit is the most important thing. Don't worry about the brands, but find something that really works for you. I had a pair of shoes with the BOA system and they crapped out in the middle of the second season. I like ratchet and velcro.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I had a pair of shoes with the BOA system and they crapped out in the middle of the second season. I like ratchet and velcro.
    Mine lasted one season too. Yes, I know Specialized will send you a replacement... meh.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Endura... end jacket discussion.

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Endura... end jacket discussion.
    Any particular jacket from Endura? anyone local to gta carry Endura ( for fit)

Thx

I dd what you see there.
    As for a "jacket" - I've found for cooler temps, one of my golf "windshirts" seems to work really well. Keeps me warm, mostly sweat free.

Shoes - I'd imagine it's all about personal preference and price limits. But for posterity, my vote goes for Northwave Aerlites. Not the most comfortable shoes ever, but lots of airflow.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    Sugoi makes two jackets which may be good for you. The Helium and the other is called Hypervent or something like that. They're white and don't have hoods though, so they may not be appropriate for around town rain wear. They are very stow-able though.

I prefer Specialized shoes. I find their toe box wider than other cycling shoes, so they fit me a bit better than the European (narrower) fit shoes. I haven't had any problems in the five or more years I've owned them.

mtbr member
    Rapha Stowaway jacket has worked well for me. Fits into Jersey pocket.

Never used Sidi mountain bike shoes but they are next on my list as my Nike shoes have limited life left. Check xxcycle.com for prices. Just got a pair of $500 MRSP 2012 Sidi Ergo 3's for the road bike for 54% off ($270).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Jacket: Pearl Izumi Elite Series; fantastic for riding and great for around town, and very stowable.

Shoes: Specialized S-Works for Boa system; great for riding, terrible for walking, super vented for drying, or;
    Mavic Razors for velcro and ratchet. Very, very comfortable.

Lemmy Rules!
    +1 for Sidi Dominators. However, you mentioned buying the shoes at MEC. If so, be careful when looking at Sidi's as MEC only sell the Sidi DOminator Mega. Mega means it is intended for wider feet, so the ones at MEC may not work for you (unless you have a wide foot, of course).

Another shoe hint - bring some newspaper you can stuff into the shoes if they get wet - this will help them dry out faster, which you did note as a concern.

I am personally not a fan of the boa's - more expensive and more finicky. Ratchet and velcro FTW.
    Strava made me do it....

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Love to Sidi's have had the dragons and have had dominators. Really comfortable. I know a couple guys that have gone with the Giro's and are very happy with them (not nearly as expensive as the dragons).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have had 15 years (!) of use (around town, sailing, skiing, camping) out of my top of the line MEC shell. I haven't used it for cycling because I typically don't ride in the cold and wet, which is the only time I think I'd need something that hard core. It is now wearing around the cuffs but with proper laundering and occasional DWR treatments it still works well.

I have a pair of Mavic carbon-soled shoes and I think they're great. 2 velcro straps + a ratchet holds things together nicely. I got them on sale for $175 a year or so ago. As with any ratchet system it's a very good idea to buy a replacement ratchet kit for it and at least put one of the plastic straps in your bike pack.

Check out the Clothing & Protection forum for more advice.

S.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by db9 View Post
    Any particular jacket from Endura? anyone local to gta carry Endura ( for fit)

Thx
    Half the issue here is you pretty much need to be looking at 2. One for riding in and one for standing around camping in. Remember that sure it sounds great to wear fully waterproof stuff but then you are getting wet from the inside out. Plus increase your chances of overheating as that stuff really traps in the heat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Shoe comfort is very personal. I tried many sidis before and find them tight. I prefer the roomy specialized models. I ride the pro and the ones with boa are on my list as replacements.
    To each their own you just have to try them out. Jackets depends on the conditions really and
    where I am riding.
    I absolutely love my Icebreaker stuff, warm, and cool, breathes all day long, no stink and looks good at a restaurant. Shells, I use a couple PI that are years old and packable. Go waterproof vs resistant if at all possible for those just in case downpours.

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Re the shoes.. comments anyone riding Specialized Rime or Comps?

So far I have tried Spec Pro, Comp and Rime.. Rime fits the nicest (maybe the boa?) - but lack of toe cleat.. is this something I'll miss and verbam sole is more flexible (OK for hike a bike - which I don't really do much of - on purpose that is )

Pro - carbon sole - is nice but a bit pricy

Comp - fits like the Pro (plus mark) but long term with the sole give hot spots (like my current non-carbon shoe after a number of miles and decay) or have the plastic soles improved over the last 10 years or so?

mtbr member
    I have been using Sidi shoes for many years my last three have been Dragon and
    dragon2s, I don't find they last very well and they cost a lot. That said they are very comfortable, and the sole is very stiff. Last fall I was looking for something a bit warmer, my old Sidi winter shoes were getting tired. I came across a pair of Shimano MT91 that I thought might be good for cool weather I'm still wearing them my newest $300 Sidis sit in the closet.
    No shoe will do it all and these aren't Dragons, but for me these are just great, on and off the bike.

For a look

Shimano MT91 MTB SPD Boots | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Members who have read this thread: 0