Insularism and forum stakeholders...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    Insularism and forum stakeholders...

    The obsession of some, to come to the forum which they label unfriendly, and keep posting here, often complaining how bad and unfriendly it is - speaks about them as much as their posts...

    There is only a handful of these posters, but they all remind me of an idiot driving on a multilane highway in the opposite direction, listening to the radio highway report warning of a lunatic driver driving in the opposite direction on a multilane highway and saying to himself while dodging cars going in the right direction - not one lunatic, not one... hundreds...

    Funny enough, those same people conceal their identity, for fear of some direct consequences, yet, all they would get is a pity and more cool-aid.

    Calling everyone else, except the three or four of themselves, insular - yet constantly developing new division methods, now it is clipless vs platforms. It used to be technical vs non-technical. All mountain vs XC. Baggies vs spandex. All perceived and empirical only, as these divisions have nothing to do with anything else...

    And the rest of the forum bites every time, without exception. The most viewed and responded to threads are filled with animosity and arguments, instead of great pictures and good experiences... Are we more to blame than the "trolls"? Maybe...

    Do we want to change it, or do we maybe enjoy this constant confrontation and bantering? Charlie Sheen type of entertainment - gotta see the next episode. Wonder what he will say next...

    Maybe we will have more positive threads once the official riding season starts, but also maybe we can think of the ways to avoid all these BS threads and fruitless arguments.

    Just a thought - but would be interesting to hear more opinions...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    516
    In a time of war, do you give up hope?
    When things are down, do you not dream of a better place?

    The world is ugly, ppl still plant flowers.

    I like to ride my bike, I like to read about bikes, I like some of the info posted on this site.
    Canada East sometimes has useful info, thats about all I have to say about that.
    www.mtbiker.ca

    My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

  3. #3
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,106
    The pot calling the kettle black

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    220
    "All that evil needs for victory is for good men to stand aside and do nothing".

    Good men should never be afraid to come to the defence of truth.

    DG

  5. #5
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Some times I take advice from Lady Gaga and other times, Kanye West seems to have all the answers.

    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L7_jYl8A73g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  6. #6
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,968
    meh its an internet forum populated by some of the most tongue in cheek people to grace the planet. Nothing you can really do.

    Wait until I launch "the official 2011 OCup#1 thread" that'll fix err'thing.

    or maybe the 'Official Eastern Canada Malt Liquor' thread.

    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

  7. #7
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964

    watch out

    truth lives here
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831

  9. #9
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    The obsession of some, to come to the forum which they label unfriendly, and keep posting here, often complaining how bad and unfriendly it is - speaks about them as much as their posts...

    There is only a handful of these posters, but they all remind me of an idiot driving on a multilane highway in the opposite direction, listening to the radio highway report warning of a lunatic driver driving in the opposite direction on a multilane highway and saying to himself while dodging cars going in the right direction - not one lunatic, not one... hundreds...

    Funny enough, those same people conceal their identity, for fear of some direct consequences, yet, all they would get is a pity and more cool-aid.

    Calling everyone else, except the three or four of themselves, insular - yet constantly developing new division methods, now it is clipless vs platforms. It used to be technical vs non-technical. All mountain vs XC. Baggies vs spandex. All perceived and empirical only, as these divisions have nothing to do with anything else...

    And the rest of the forum bites every time, without exception. The most viewed and responded to threads are filled with animosity and arguments, instead of great pictures and good experiences... Are we more to blame than the "trolls"? Maybe...

    Do we want to change it, or do we maybe enjoy this constant confrontation and bantering? Charlie Sheen type of entertainment - gotta see the next episode. Wonder what he will say next...

    Maybe we will have more positive threads once the official riding season starts, but also maybe we can think of the ways to avoid all these BS threads and fruitless arguments.

    Just a thought - but would be interesting to hear more opinions...
    +1, well stated. we need some fair riding weather...and soon!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

  10. #10
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    I try to avoid wasting time trying to change the opinion of those who will not change their opinion.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  11. #11
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Seriously.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: langford's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    684
    I try and stay away, but sometimes I just can't help it!

    Maybe I'm secretly hoping my natural thread killing abilities might take hold and put an end to the foolishness - no luck so far....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I try to avoid wasting time trying to change the opinion of those who will not change their opinion.
    As was explained to me on another forum many years ago, when you're arguing on a message board you're not doing so to change the opinion of the person you're going up against, rather, it's to sway the opinion of spectators watching the Charlie Foxtrot in progress.

  14. #14
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Thankfully ideological censorship is not part of this community.

    Cheers Citizen!

  15. #15
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    Do we want to change it, or do we maybe enjoy this constant confrontation and bantering? Just a thought - but would be interesting to hear more opinions...
    But even just reading these threads makes me think. Even if I disagree strongly, I have to sit and think about why I disagree. I write replies to myself in my head arguing in favour of myself and just doing that either reinforces the validity of the way I am behaving or, if I can`t come up with a good enough argument, makes me question whether I might just need to sit down and rethink what I`m doing. `Course sometimes I just sit down and have a beer instead.
    My scotch collection is doing fine, in case you`re interested.
    Cheers, Dave

  16. #16
    I Wanna Be Sedated
    Reputation: Jouko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    761
    I like to leave my own opinion to myself most of the time, for it is important that not everyone knows the truth. I don't enjoy the confrontation, but do enjoy the diversity of opinion. Can you have one without the other? I don't know, but I'm going to go and pour myself another glass of wine, for I have no buttertarts to enjoy.
    Jouko

  17. #17
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    As usual Calvin and Hobbes explains this phenomenon.

    "A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."


    Or BoySetsFire's "Twelve Step Hammer Program"

    "consider yourself the punchline in my new gag
    thank you very much you've given us all a fantastic laugh
    bring it on
    nose to nose and toe to toe
    tell me everything you know
    or is everything for show
    tabloid garbage in your fangs
    sucker you'll be duped again
    i get the last laugh in the end"

  18. #18
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious
    The pot calling the kettle black
    I honestly expected more from an executive manager at a large hospital. I also understand the need to please the insignificant other, even using the same language...

    Thanks for posting your opinion and proving the point, though.

  19. #19
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,106
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I honestly expected more from an executive manager at a large hospital. I also understand the need to please the insignificant other, even using the same language...

    Thanks for posting your opinion and proving the point, though.
    Out of all the other comments added to this thread, you've chosen to reply to mine... guess I hit a nerve and typically there is a projection underlying hostility

    Glad you approve and agree

  20. #20
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    For the last three Wednesdays, I've been doing Business Communication seminars, specifically focusing on how to run effective meetings and these threads have given me some excellent fodder for my homework assignments!

    Remember, without respect, communication is compromised! Play nice!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  21. #21
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    glad to elaborate

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious
    Out of all the other comments added to this thread, you've chosen to reply to mine... guess I hit a nerve and typically there is a projection underlying hostility

    Glad you approve and agree
    all other comments are actual opinions, which i need not reply to - as they are other peoples' opinions on the subject, and they had substance to them. other people actually tried to contribute positively, unlike you (but as i said - i understand your position on this and i am sorry that you have to behave like that)

    if you call your comment an opinion with a substance - then it is pretty hostile to start with, yet you complain about hostility in my reply. is it not a bit of hypocrisy? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy)

    thank you for contributing to the thread, albeit negatively - and please don't let anyone else use your login and password to post comments - it would be against the rules of this site, as you know.

  22. #22
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  23. #23
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,106
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    all other comments are actual opinions, which i need not reply to - as they are other peoples' opinions on the subject, and they had substance to them. other people actually tried to contribute positively, unlike you (but as i said - i understand your position on this and i am sorry that you have to behave like that)

    if you call your comment an opinion with a substance - then it is pretty hostile to start with, yet you complain about hostility in my reply. is it not a bit of hypocrisy? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy)

    thank you for contributing to the thread, albeit negatively - and please don't let anyone else use your login and password to post comments - it would be against the rules of this site, as you know.
    It is not a comment, but a factual statement based of your past harassing behaviour and posts which continues to this date

  24. #24
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  25. #25
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    meh its an internet forum populated by some of the most tongue in cheek people to grace the planet. Nothing you can really do.

    Wait until I launch "the official 2011 OCup#1 thread" that'll fix err'thing.

    or maybe the 'Official Eastern Canada Malt Liquor' thread.

    Like It
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  26. #26
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Blame it on the groundhogs, they were wrong again. We don't like to be given hope of an early spring. Really ruins the mood.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  27. #27
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    oh I am so sorry that you feel that way...

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious
    It is not a comment, but a factual statement based of your past harassing behaviour and posts which continues to this date
    it surprises me that, though you feel you have been "harassed" (fact is a bit too a word - since it is just your "feeling" which you may call a "fact" if you really wish, but i woldn't) you are coming back voluntarily and potentially exposing yourself to more of this so called "harassment".

    If you are into sadomasochism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadomasochism), i am very sorry - i can not help you there.

    if i felt harassed, for example at the Leafs game (God knows it is getting close) - i would never go back there voluntarily and i would start cheering for Habs.

    if i felt harassed on this forum, for example by some ignorant posts or comments made by 3 members, i would just leave or in your case - alert moderators.

    but i would never respond to a person who i felt had "harassed" me in the past, particularly with a post that is begging to be responded to, like you did. Or did you?

    i am sure that you will, as an executive manager at a large hospital, seek and find resources to help you answer these important dilemmas.

    i also hope that you will not consider it a "harassment" on my part, if i ignore your further posts on this thread, in an effort to not derail it. Let's just let other people talk... Thank you.

    EDIT: actually - why don't you really try to debate the issue... tell us what you think ON TOPIC... forget the pot and kettle, insularism, stakeholders, sustainable, progressive, i pay more taxes than you, you dont ride trails that i do.... tell us what YOU think...


  28. #28
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    My scotch collection is doing fine, in case you`re interested.
    Just got hooked on the stuff myself. Which one's do you recommend for under $70. Not a big fan of the peaty stuff.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  29. #29
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Just got hooked on the stuff myself. Which one's do you recommend for under $70. Not a big fan of the peaty stuff.
    If you're not wild on peat, visit Speyside. McLelland's offers a lovely example that's easy on the wallet!

    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  30. #30
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Hmm.. you are all still whining??

  31. #31
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    If you're not wild on peat, visit Speyside. McLelland's offers a lovely example that's easy on the wallet!

    Nice!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    512
    Just passing the time here until the official thread kicks off, but you can't go wrong with Glenfidduch either on price or quality. I only tried it for the the first time quite recently.

  33. #33
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    For the last three Wednesdays, I've been doing Business Communication seminars, specifically focusing on how to run effective meetings and these threads have given me some excellent fodder for my homework assignments!

    Remember, without respect, communication is compromised! Play nice!
    Every meeting needs a couple arseholes in attendance.

  34. #34
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Every meeting needs a couple arseholes in attendance.
    I like to think of this forum as a kind of meeting, which seems to converge with your statement above.

  35. #35
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    I like to think of this forum as a kind of meeting, which seems to converge with your statement above.
    Having attended some Government staff meetings there is good reason. if there are not a couple in attendance a hour meeting can drag onto two or more hours.

  36. #36
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    Just passing the time here until the official thread kicks off, but you can't go wrong with Glenfidduch either on price or quality. I only tried it for the the first time quite recently.
    That's my go-to restaurant/bar Scotch. Every hole-in-the-wall seems to stock it. It cracks me up when I order it "neat" and all I get in response is "Huh?"
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  37. #37
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Hmm.. you are all still whining??
    Winning... we are still winning.

    BTW, given recent circumstances, I have a recipe for squirrel-melts that probably works great with groundhogs... in case your neighbourhood groundhog's number came up yesterday.

  38. #38
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964
    what is this thread about now?

  39. #39
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik

    BTW, given recent circumstances, I have a recipe for squirrel-melts that probably works great with groundhogs... in case your neighbourhood groundhog's number came up yesterday.

  40. #40
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    don't want to spoil the scotch party

    but i am mighty liking Chalfonte... Working on the bottle, serial # 179447...

    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    That's my go-to restaurant/bar Scotch. Every hole-in-the-wall seems to stock it. It cracks me up when I order it "neat" and all I get in response is "Huh?"

  41. #41
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Just got hooked on the stuff myself. Which one's do you recommend for under $70. Not a big fan of the peaty stuff.

    Try Auchentoshen, a nice smooth lowland which might be the best thing to have ever come out of Glasgow...
    Strava made me do it....

  42. #42
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    Try Auchentoshen, a nice smooth lowland which might be the best thing to have ever come out of Glasgow...
    Hmm ..

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhpunk~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    what is this thread about now?
    toll booths surrounding Caledon...picking off those who no not pay property taxes there...

  44. #44
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Just got hooked on the stuff myself. Which one's do you recommend for under $70. Not a big fan of the peaty stuff.
    I have bought and like this one.

    Macallan Fine Oak 10 years. Pricey though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  45. #45
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    A lot of the ones that are aged in sherry or port casks are a lot of fun too.

    And here's a handy tip, anything with a serial number is probably a little more than $70.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    A lot of the ones that are aged in sherry or port casks are a lot of fun too.

    And here's a handy tip, anything with a serial number is probably a little more than $70.
    Agreed on the casking! My "stock" whisky is the balvenie doublewood.. 10 years in oak, 2 years in old sherry casks.. it is smooth and flavorful
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  47. #47
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogen
    Agreed on the casking! My "stock" whisky is the balvenie doublewood.. 10 years in oak, 2 years in old sherry casks.. it is smooth and flavorful
    That's what my sister gave me for Xmas. She knows me so well!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  48. #48
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    I enjoy numerous summer Saturday nights after a BBQ with:

    A couple Cohiba Siglo V's and Glenfiddich 12 y/o or if I'm rich on that particular day Cohiba Esplendidos and Glenfiddich 18y/o are substituted.

  49. #49
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpunk~
    toll booths surrounding Caledon...picking off those who no not pay property taxes there...
    You wouldn't want to bring that up in a City of Brampton/Orangeville meeting... lol

  50. #50
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    Just a thought - but would be interesting to hear more opinions...

    Perhaps I will try to give you an answer you were hoping for.

    This sport that we love brings people from very diverse classes, occupations, and beliefs together to share a common bond. And it works. We all get along during those times we share together on the dirt or on the road, and after a good ride.

    The curse of this sport is that it brings people from very diverse classes, occupations, and beliefs together. And we think we should have more in common than we do. But, with a few exceptions, we are all still very different people here. And so it is…
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.