Important trail access meeting in Halifax, Nov 13- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Important trail access meeting in Halifax, Nov 13

Hey all -- There isn't a lot of Maritime action on this forum, but I'll throw this out there for any Bluenosers in attendance --particularly those in Halifax.

--

Your voice and support is needed at a pubic meeting for a new formal singletrack system on the Halifax Mainland. If you think 25+km of singletrack sounds good (and who doesn't!), under a formal land agreement so the trails aren't bulldozed for a new development, you should come to this meeting!

I've attached a flyer with info and a map, but the nitty gritty is:

What: A Public Consultation meeting for a plan involving phased construction of single track trails in the Herring Cove Backlands betwen Spryfield and Herring Cove. The plan has been developed by the McIntosh Run Watershed Association and a professional trail planner. Bicycle Nova Scotia and Hike Nova Scotia are in support. At this point, we really need strong public support in order to obtain permission from Halifax Regional Municipality and DNR to use this public land.

The meeting is also an opportunity to make it clear that mtbers are important users (this will help leverage other trail projects in HRM and beyond) and to give feedback that shapes the plan. What kind of singletrack would you like to see, and where? You can also offer to be involved in planning and construction so they are _your_ trails.

Time and Place: Captain William Spry Community Center in Spryfield, Tuesday Nov 13, 7:30pm.

cheers
    Lawrence
    (Bicycle Nova Scotia AND MRWA)

PS. Many riders in Halifax will know of Fight Trail, which is an informal trail system on (mostly) private land on the northwest end of the proposed trail system. Fight Trail wouldn't be affected by the proposed trails other than there would be much more riding nearby. Being on private land held by developers, the Fight System is subject to serious development pressure in coming years.

----
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TwoWheelMan; 11-08-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: typo

humber river advocate
    bump, good cause. hope it works out.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

trail gnome
    There's some really good technical riding to be had in and around Halifax. Do a Google image or video search for "Whopper Dropper" to get an idea. Looks like fun!

My brother is from there, I'll pass this onto him. Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    There's some really good technical riding to be had in and around Halifax. Do a Google image or video search for "Whopper Dropper" to get an idea. Looks like fun!

My brother is from there, I'll pass this onto him. Best of luck!
    Thanks!

Whopper has some great trail ... and is one of Halifax's informal trail systems currently under development pressure as the adjoining business park expands. Trails and granite are turning into big box store :-(

The land for this proposed new system is incredible, from both a trails and scenery perspective.

More info and facebook event here!

https://www.facebook.com/McIntoshRun...hedAssociation

Members who have read this thread: 0