I rode Albion tonight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I rode Albion tonight

Two loops, mostly black or gold (?) trails with just about every bit of singletrack we could find.

Albion is fine. The singletrack is challenging. If it seems too easy for you, disconnect your brakes and try again. If you currently roll over the few rocky drops, huck off them. If you roll over the humps, start gapping them. If you're spinning up the climbs in the granny, ride it SS like I did and get your butt up.

No, there are no skinnies to speak of. There was one truly challenging ride-over, the rest were irrelevant. No logs to ride. No big drops, there were a few 18"-24" drops made out of rocks. That being said, I was unable to close my eyes and snooze on the singletrack, so no complaints from me.

It isn't the Mohawk Agreement Forest. It isn't Dr. Quads. But then again, it isn't the Don River Trail either. I'm done with complaining about Albion. I don't feel the need to ride it every week, but it's hardly a poster child for dumbing trail systems down.

I'm not an expert, but the singletrack seemed to have more on the go than Glen Major and Walker's Woods over in Durham.

p.s. Came around a corner to find myself staring at a big deer standing on the trail. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Whoo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    I'm not an expert, but the singletrack seemed to have more on the go than Glen Major and Walker's Woods over in Durham.
    Question: Do you work for Albion or Chico?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    That's an insulting question. If I did, I would boast of it in my signatures and profile. To suggest otherwise is to insinuate that I'm dishonest. More importantly, if something I've said is untrue it can be disputed directly without resorting to Argumentum Ad Hominem.

If you don't like the place, say so. If you don't believe I enjoyed my ride there tonight, you can say that as well. To question my honesty while avoiding taking a position of your own is to engage in empty rhetoric.

All my faucets is Moen.
    If I knew how to increase your Rep Power I would do so.
    I love riding Albion as well. Its just a fun, fast track that's well maintained and well marked.

During my Solstice preride I kept seeing signs for other trails not in the race and thinking how much fun that trail is. After every lap I became a fan of a different section. Pinecombe Express is great, In Speed We Trust, IMBA, High Roller, heck I was even becoming a fan of Handle With Care.

Good times.

mtbr member
    p.s. Came around a corner to find myself staring at a big deer standing on the trail. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Whoo![/QUOTE]

We were there last night also
    great ride also saw a number of deer.
    they have no fear of the bikes. born and raised around them I guess.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    If I knew how to increase your Rep Power I would do so.
    Do you work for Chico or Albion?

You can mess with Rep Power (up or down) by clicking on that little thumbs up icon beneath the avatar.

Evil Jr.
    Although we rode in Hamilton, we saw quite a few deer last night too. In one spot, we came upon a doe with her two spotty fawns (so cute!) and we found another in a field almost in the center of town across from the Metro!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Workin for the weekend!
    I bumped into a group of 10 or so Deer in the Dundas Valley last week. They almost seemed tame, they weren't in any hurry to get away from me...

bi-winning
    I also enjoy riding Albion.

I also saw a deer on my MTB ride last night in St. Catharines.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    I bumped into a group of 10 or so Deer in the Dundas Valley last week. They almost seemed tame, they weren't in any hurry to get away from me...
    Typical of the deer in that area. They are perfectly content until you get really close to them.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I over-reacted, sorry for the lack of civility in my response!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a fun ride at Albion yesterday too & we saw a cute litte spotted fawn on Woo Wu.

Over the bars...
    I enjoy riding at Albion also. I also enjoy Hydrocut/Mansfield-Dufferin Forest/Hardwood/Chicopee/McLennan Park/Puslinch/Country roads/city streets etc... All for different reasons. I enjoy cycling and will continue to ride as long as I enjoy it. Sorry just a evening ramble. P.S. I did not see deer this week...

sock puppet

why do you need to work

for Albion or Chico in order to accept Albion Hills for what it is?

sock puppet

And when you find it

please post the damn link.

Otherwise you just don't understand the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    Agreed! Now we just need to find a big enough hill somewheres in Canada for BrokenAnimator to climb, and it's all kosher!!!!

sock puppet

evil clique

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    that is all I can say at this crucial moment...

sock puppet

this forum is unbelievable...

kiddie pool lovers?

it's all about deer...

on a positive note, Haydn designed a fantastic course for tonights race at Albion...

Two loops, mostly black or gold (?) trails with just about every bit of singletrack we could find.

Albion is fine. The singletrack is challenging. If it seems too easy for you, disconnect your brakes and try again. If you currently roll over the few rocky drops, huck off them. If you roll over the humps, start gapping them. If you're spinning up the climbs in the granny, ride it SS like I did and get your butt up.

No, there are no skinnies to speak of. There was one truly challenging ride-over, the rest were irrelevant. No logs to ride. No big drops, there were a few 18"-24" drops made out of rocks. That being said, I was unable to close my eyes and snooze on the singletrack, so no complaints from me.

It isn't the Mohawk Agreement Forest. It isn't Dr. Quads. But then again, it isn't the Don River Trail either. I'm done with complaining about Albion. I don't feel the need to ride it every week, but it's hardly a poster child for dumbing trail systems down.

p.s. Came around a corner to find myself staring at a big deer standing on the trail. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Whoo!

Eat me.
    Jun 2006
    I love Mansfield too - lucky to ride it on a couple of U-Cups, an O-Cup, and a just-for-fun preride last year.

BTW, I wonder who took my 6 rep points away? 8) (Not that it matters - I guess some people just take forums way too seriously!).

banned
    Jul 2011
    i think he does. who else would want people to waste 6.50 for admission to a kiddy pool. the trails are practically paved, might as well ride on the rode, same thing.

i asked for money back when i went there, and got it, they even know it sucks.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    kiddie pool lovers?

it's all about deer...

on a positive note, Haydn designed a fantastic course for tonights race at Albion...
    Yeah I don't get it. When someone posts a positive comment about something they love, Some folks just feel they have to rain on the parade. I

I too enjoy Albion.. Especcially when the raptors have wee ones in the nest and feel the need to dive bomb!

sock puppet
    I like going to Albion Hills. Purchased annual pass. Every Tuesday we have a big group of 150+ mountain bikers gathering for a fun night of racing... It is a blast.

My son is having fun every Thursday with his friends of the similar age with Esteem club...

Too bad you don't like it, but I am sure there are places in Ontario that you enjoy riding. I am glad you got your $6.50 back.

Thanks for your opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    I love Mansfield too - lucky to ride it on a couple of U-Cups, an O-Cup, and a just-for-fun preride last year.

BTW, I wonder who took my 6 rep points away? 8) (Not that it matters - I guess some people just take forums way too seriously!).
    Speaking of Mansfield, I rode it on Monday and some of the trails have become unrideable due to logging. If you know the area, there is a red arrow pointing to the right on a tree at a "T" intersection. If you follow the arrow then you will end up where the logging is going on. I hope to get there on Friday with a saw and clean up the trail.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    I don't get some of you guys. Some trails are built for gonzo balls-out riders and others are built to be rideable by families, most are somewhere in between. No trail can be all things to all people, why expect this of Albion?

Myself personally I am, relative to some of you regular racers, fat and slow. But, I can handle my bike reasonably well over technical stuff so I love Buckwallow (flat+technical=fun for me). While making Albion more challenging technically by simply riding it faster really isn't an option for guys like me in the short term, that's my fault not Albion Hills'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
    While making Albion more challenging technically by simply riding it faster really isn't an option for guys like me in the short term, that's my fault not Albion Hills'.
    In all seriousness, almost everyone can make singletrack more challenging. I suggest it's a question of semantics. If I say "ride it faster," my brain thinks about pedalling faster. If I say "brake less," my brain thinks about picking lines, engaging the tyres, and pressure control.

So if riding faster isn't an option, would braking less provide the challenge?

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    So if riding faster isn't an option, would braking less provide the challenge?
    True, laying off the brakes is an area that can be improved by just about every rider on every trail. I find King Trail is still useful for this exercise even though it is not technically challenging in any other way.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Albion's hosting of Hot August Nights is what prompted me to get into MTBing. It eased me into a level of biking that I was comfortable with when I needed it, and provided me with enough challenge to learn more about what I'm riding and how to navigate it.

Add in some night riding, and viola, hooked hard.

livin' large
    With this albion love in, I might have to give it another shot, I could use a little variety from the Blue/Hilton/Stewarts/Road rotation
    it tied the room together man!

Eat me.
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Albion's hosting of Hot August Nights is what prompted me to get into MTBing. It eased me into a level of biking that I was comfortable with when I needed it, and provided me with enough challenge to learn more about what I'm riding and how to navigate it.

Add in some night riding, and viola, hooked hard.
    Exactly my experience too when I was beginning. 24 hr Summer Solstice, and the night riding helped me level up in riding skills, leading me to try more difficult trails as I got better.

I keep Albion as my off-road option to either just give 'er and spin, or take a more relaxed ride with the lovely lady