I Hate Skiis & Bikes- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 107 of 107
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543

    I Hate Skiis & Bikes

    i just drove from burlington to collingwood (over 2 hrs) to pick up my bike only to find out they are closed on tuesdays. WTF? what kind store closes on a FVCKING TUESDAY?! WHAT THE FVCKING FVCK?!!!

  2. #2
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Okay, take a deep breath.

    Did you call to confirm they where open?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    no. i assumed they would be open on tuesdays like every other store in the friggin world. once i pick my bike up im never going to step foot in that store again. im so mad. over 4 hours of driving for nothing

  4. #4
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Alrightty then.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  5. #5
    Hardtail Freak
    Reputation: brodie_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    196
    lol.
    2018 Stanton Slackline 853
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1
    Gone - 2000 Marin Indian Fire Trail
    Gone - 2001 Brodie Holeshot

  6. #6
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    845
    I guess you were right, rather than pleasantly surprised.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    i made the mistake of optimistically thinking that it would be open. i honestly just want to break something right now

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    845
    Sorry about the last one Norcoshore, I couldn't resist.

    I'd be mad too in your situation, although mostly at myself. Stores in the bike business sometimes pick unusual days to close. (RIDE DAY).

  10. #10
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    While we are on the topic of hating things, I hate dancing, and American Idol.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    845
    I hate hate.




    And American Idol.


    I still laugh when I think of the typo in our school code of conduct one year. 20 day suspension for hat related violence.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    you = fail

    http://www.skiisandbiikes.com/contact.htm

    In big bold red letters it says closed Tuesdays.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    yes, because before i go to any store i always look on the website to verify its open when every other friggin in the store in the friggin country is open. before i go to walmart i always check on the website to make sure its open on weekdays during the day

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    yes, because before i go to any store i always look on the website to verify its open when every other friggin in the store in the friggin country is open. before i go to walmart i always check on the website to make sure its open on weekdays during the day
    Have you been to S&B's on a Tuesday before?

    If I've never been to a store on a certain day I double check the hours. Especially in this day in age of funky hours. If shops are open Sundays you know they make up for somewhere else either Monday or Tuesday. Collingwood ain't that busy a place during the week.

  15. #15
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailtrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    . before i go to walmart i always check on the website to make sure its open on weekdays during the day
    a double fail for shopping at wal-mart

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Have you been to S&B's on a Tuesday before?

    If I've never been to a store on a certain day I double check the hours. Especially in this day in age of funky hours. If shops are open Sundays you know they make up for somewhere else either Monday or Tuesday. Collingwood ain't that busy a place during the week.
    ive only ever been there on weekends before as i have a place there i stay when i bike/board. this is the first time ive been there on a weekday and it just happens to be when its closed. i needed to get my bike back in burlington before the weekend so i could bring it to my LBS, get a fork put on it (they charge $10 instead of $30 at S&B), and ride at kelso. now i have to wait until next week and no riding for me. very unlucky

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    151
    I know!!!!

    I went to that same store last Friday night at 2am and they were closed then too!

    Outrageous. I'm so mad, I mean even Shoppers Mart is open then. McDonalds drive thru also.

    I'm never going there again!

  19. #19
    Out there
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,298
    S&B in Collingwood is a horrible store.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    ive only ever been there on weekends before as i have a place there i stay when i bike/board. this is the first time ive been there on a weekday and it just happens to be when its closed. i needed to get my bike back in burlington before the weekend so i could bring it to my LBS, get a fork put on it (they charge $10 instead of $30 at S&B), and ride at kelso. now i have to wait until next week and no riding for me. very unlucky
    Why was your bike there? Seems you prefer the service for your local shop.

    Just sounds like a whole lot of poor planning.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker
    I know!!!!

    I went to that same store last Friday night at 2am and they were closed then too!

    Outrageous. I'm so mad, I mean even Shoppers Mart is open then. McDonalds drive thru also.

    I'm never going there again!
    good for you. that is blasphemy!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    Why was your bike there? Seems you prefer the service for your local shop.

    Just sounds like a whole lot of poor planning.
    i got my bike for a deal from them when they were selling off their rental bikes. i needed new shifter cables and wheel bearings and because i bought the bike from them, they did all the work for free.

  23. #23
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964
    if i had to drive 2 hours to a specific destination, i'd make sure that said destination was open. and if they were not, i'd never go there again because it's stupid that they weren't open when i assumed they would be. my LBS is closed on mondays, so i do not go there on mondays. although, i have and i felt like a grade A moron.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    if i had to drive 2 hours to a specific destination, i'd make sure that said destination was open. and if they were not, i'd never go there again because it's stupid that they weren't open when i assumed they would be. my LBS is closed on mondays, so i do not go there on mondays. although, i have and i felt like a grade A moron.
    Um yeah...Some responsibility has to be taken here. Any drive of that nature should be have details verified ahead of time. Not the store's fault. Not like they closed early because it wasn't busy today.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    519
    Is there not one in Missisauga??
    www.mtbiker.ca

    My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

  26. #26
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Um yeah...Some responsibility has to be taken here. Any drive of that nature should be have details verified ahead of time. Not the store's fault. Not like they closed early because it wasn't busy today.

    It was a failure to follow the rule of the 7 P's.

  27. #27
    Steady Creepin'
    Reputation: LuMach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    486
    I shop online

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    788
    I think this may be my favourite thread ever. As much as I agree with everybody who said the OP shoulda checked, I can't help but sympathize with him because really, who closes on Tuesday?

  29. #29
    Is it winter yet?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    254
    I know Paul, the owner. I will cuss him out for you next I see him.

    Just so I can accurately channel your rage, would you say you're more pissed, or steamed?

    I can see your point, but I probably would have checked before driving for 2 hours. On the plus side, look at the pretty scenery.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    274
    The same thing happened to me with Impala a few yrs ago. Mind you I only drove 45 min. I never thought a store would be closed on a Tues either. You would think that because it is prime business time for biking that they would be open. I could see maybe if it was off season although it is skiis and bikes so they don;t really have an off season. really who would think a Tues?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Is there not one in Missisauga??
    the one in cwood is literally a minute or two drive from my family's place there so figured i would drop it off one weekend, and get it the next when i went up. now it turns out i will be unable to go up there for the next few weeks so i wanted to bring my bike back so i could wouldnt have to go without a ride for 3-4 weeks and it just so happens that the only day it is convienent for me to get up there, they are closed

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,033
    I sympathize with him. I hate that store (mostly directed to Mississauga location). Every location sucks. I arrived at 6:57pm the other night. As I opened the door a super rude employee came out "closed".

    Me: "already...its not even 7"
    Him: "we close at 7"

    I'm thinking here is a bike shop on a weekday, and people work during the day. Being open past 7 doesn't seem like a tall demand...

    Me: "geez, it is no wonder people shop online"
    Him: "well maybe that's why we can't afford to stay open past 7"

    UGH I hate that store too.

  33. #33
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    I could see myself getting caught out on this one just like the OP. If I didn't have prior knowledge of the shop's operating hours, I would probably check prior to going if it were past 6pm on a weekday, any time prior to noon, or a Sunday perhaps, but for anywhere in the range of noon-6pm Mon-Fri I would have considered it a safe assumption that the shop would be open. It's sort of like the lottery slogan of "you have to play to win" in that a shop has to be be open for business, to do any business.

    Maybe I have had a sheltered life in thinking (incorrectly) that every shop motivated to grow their business will find a way to not only be open all normal hours, but have extended hours also.

    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    I think this may be my favourite thread ever. As much as I agree with everybody who said the OP shoulda checked, I can't help but sympathize with him because really, who closes on Tuesday?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    40
    It's perfectly normal for any business in a small town/resort area to be closed on one, if not two weekdays. Tuesday is always the most popular choice, followed by Monday. If the bulk of your business is on the weekend and you have a limited staff, folks have to have days off sometime. I guess it's unusual if you haven't lived in the sticks before. It seems reasonable to me.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    dude, collingwood is one of the fastest growing cities in ontario or maybe even canada. its not such a small town anymore

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    collingwood ...cities
    That is your problem right there, it's not a city. It's a resort town.

  37. #37
    mostbrokenestscaphoidever
    Reputation: Mysty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil


    Gosh I love the Double Face Palm...

    I happen to be one of those peoples that looks up store hours even when I might be sure ...

    Still sucks that you had to drive all that ways...
    misfit diSSent 29er SS
    niner One9 SS

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    That is your problem right there, it's not a city. It's a resort town.
    not entirely true. the downtown area is growing alot, blue mtn is on the outskirts

  39. #39
    Loving Life
    Reputation: Trev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    354
    shoulda went to Kamikazee great group of guys. Headed out there with the gf at the end of lastsummerand they took me out to their evening and early morning rides befroe the store opened to ride 3 stage with the. For guys who drink and smoke a ton man can they ever fly on their bikes.

    Im headed up there early september again this year for 3 nigths instead of 2. The main reason because those guys are great to ride with. Except this timeillbe bringingthe road bikesas well, a ton of climbing to be done up there

  40. #40
    mtbr Decade+
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,545
    Norco Shore, did you bring your bike there to install the fork I sold you? That seems like a big drive for a 30 minute install....
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    no way. i went there because i want to bring my bike back from collingwood and get it put on a cyclepath in oakville. S&B charges $30 and cyclepath told me its approx $10-15. i cant wait to get it on and ride. its driving me crazy
    Last edited by Norcoshore1; 06-02-2010 at 03:42 PM.

  42. #42
    Gears, beers and slices..
    Reputation: Pizza_Royale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    dude, collingwood is one of the fastest growing cities in ontario or maybe even canada. its not such a small town anymore
    You're kidding right? Collingwood is a small town with no economy other than weekend tourist revenue in the winters. There is no tax base, and even the bargain shop relies on visiters from Stayner to stay open. The stores are supported completely by tourist dollars. Except for Wal-mart of course...they're always open - you should have brought your bike to them! (that comment was as stupid as this thread itself)

    Don't confuse Collingwood's growing collection of winter chalets (2nd houses) that belong to rich Toronto residents for actual residents.

    Next you're going to call Wasaga a city too, since it is in fact the fastest growing town in Canada. Too bad it's a drug infested collection of draft dodgers, and like Collingwood, has no economy or tax base.

    Norcoshore1 - your ignorance makes me laugh. Let me guess...you're 16?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    growth is growth. it doesnt matter what a certain house is being used for, the fact is that there are now tons of subdivisions sprouting up everywhere taking up vacant land and using it for residential purposes. if that isnt growth i dont know what is. even if there is a bunch of people using the area as a second home there is now more availible living space there than there ever has been. but that isnt growth, right? regardless of whether or not population size is increasing, the city is becoming more and more busy and is attracting people from all over the province. with that being said, it isnt so dumb to assume that a store would be open during the week in a city that is accumulating more and more tourist traffic year after year. just because the population the city is small does not mean that there are not alot of people who can be in town. your statement that tourist revenue is only generated in the winter is completely stupid. there is in fact, much more to do there in the summer than there is in the winter, and when there is more to do, you attract more tourists. you've also neglected that the elvis festival bring people from all over the country and brings more tourist revenue than any other event during year and it takes place in the SUMMER.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    205
    man someone needs to take a basic economics course! what you are describing as growth is only statistically growth in 1 dimension. While more housing (weekend warrior) does increase the tax base, that's all it doe. it does not grow the local economiy in a meaningfull way. If your town doubled in population on the weekend, yes that's growth, but it still would not provide a reason to increase your staff or businss hours during the work week! besides it's a privately run business if the owner wants to close on tuesdays, that's their perogative! YOU drove 2+ hours without checking! you have no one to blame but yourself, escpecially since it was important to you to get your ride back asap!

    Why does no one take responsibiltiy for their actions these days!! next thing you kjnow he'll be complaining that he wied out because the tail ma wasn't exact enough!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    i ve never taken a economics course. my specialty is hustlenomics.

  46. #46
    Steady Creepin'
    Reputation: LuMach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    next thing you kjnow he'll be complaining that he wied out because the tail ma wasn't exact enough!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    i think he said "next thing you know he'll be complaining that he wiped out because the trail map wasn't exact enough!"

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    i think he said "next thing you know he'll be complaining that he wiped out because the trail map wasn't exact enough!"
    my bad, typing too fast on a crappy Lenovo keyboard!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailtrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    i think he said "next thing you know he'll be complaining that he wiped out because the trail map wasn't exact enough!"
    I must be getting old, I couldn't figure it out either

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    my bad, typing too fast on a crappy Lenovo keyboard!
    Now who's not taking responsibility! Blaming the keyboard when it's your fat fingers that screwed it up.

    I'd be pissed too man...If I was showing up to any business in the early afternoon on a Tuesday I wouldn't check to see if they were open. I'm sure this has happened MANY times before with this store.

  51. #51
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    no way. i went there because i want to bring my bike back from collingwood and get it put on a cyclepath in oakville. S&B charges $30 and cyclepath told me its approx $10-15. i cant wait to get it on and ride. its driving me crazy

    So you drove 4 hours round trip and burned thru a tank of gas to save $20 on a fork install??????

    Even if the store had been open, this would still have been a double facepalm....
    Strava made me do it....

  52. #52
    Gears, beers and slices..
    Reputation: Pizza_Royale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    growth is growth. the fact is that there are now tons of subdivisions sprouting up everywhere taking up vacant land and using it for residential purposes. if that isnt growth i dont know what is. even if there is a bunch of people using the area as a second home there is now more availible living space there than there ever has been. but that isnt growth, right? regardless of whether or not population size is increasing, the city is becoming more and more busy and is attracting people from all over the province. with that being said, it isnt so dumb to assume that a store would be open during the week in a city that is accumulating more and more tourist traffic year after year. just because the population the city is small does not mean that there are not alot of people who can be in town. your statement that tourist revenue is only generated in the winter is completely stupid. there is in fact, much more to do there in the summer than there is in the winter, and when there is more to do, you attract more tourists. you've also neglected that the elvis festival bring people from all over the country and brings more tourist revenue than any other event during year and it takes place in the SUMMER.
    Those aren't residences...they're vacation homes. They belong to people who pay $15,000 to ski ar private ski clubs. Many of the homes you actually speak of are on plots of land owned by the ski clubs. All of the money these people spend goes back to the ski club - there is very little being put back into the economy from the weekend residents.

    Measure growth by the amount of new schools being built to accommodate real residents that live in the community and raise children. That is the sign of a population that is growing. Don't be fooled by winter homes to the rich that sit vacant 9 months of the year, or the thousands of SUV's clogging the roads on the weekends. Look at the amount of businesses that can't afford to stay open full hours in the summer when the tourists are gone. Look at the amount of businesses in the village that open and close in the same year. The fact is that Collingwood is a very, very poor town and the economic gap between the tourists and the locals is getting larger each year.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    So you drove 4 hours round trip and burned thru a tank of gas to save $20 on a fork install??????

    Even if the store had been open, this would still have been a double facepalm....
    Reading comprehension FAIL!

    If you had read anything NS1 said as opposed to just those slagging him, he needed to get relatively major warranty work done there anyway, and would have had to get the bike one way or another.

    Still my favourite thread. I think it has 4 page potential.

  54. #54
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    Reading comprehension FAIL!

    If you had read anything NS1 said as opposed to just those slagging him, he needed to get relatively major warranty work done there anyway, and would have had to get the bike one way or another.

    Still my favourite thread. I think it has 4 page potential.

    Yeah, you're right. I skimmed over some of the whining...

    (just trying to stretch it out to that next page)
    Strava made me do it....

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    Those aren't residences...they're vacation homes. They belong to people who pay $15,000 to ski ar private ski clubs. Many of the homes you actually speak of are on plots of land owned by the ski clubs. All of the money these people spend goes back to the ski club - there is very little being put back into the economy from the weekend residents.

    Measure growth by the amount of new schools being built to accommodate real residents that live in the community and raise children. That is the sign of a population that is growing. Don't be fooled by winter homes to the rich that sit vacant 9 months of the year, or the thousands of SUV's clogging the roads on the weekends. Look at the amount of businesses that can't afford to stay open full hours in the summer when the tourists are gone. Look at the amount of businesses in the village that open and close in the same year. The fact is that Collingwood is a very, very poor town and the economic gap between the tourists and the locals is getting larger each year.
    well is the shipyards, which is one of the most major developments in decades, owned by a ski resort? no.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    (just trying to stretch it out to that next page)
    To acheive such a noble goal we all have to do our part. Does anybody care to jump down the OP's throat for claiming his "specialty is hustlenomics"?

    Personally I will not touch that subject as:
    -I don't know what hustlenomics is, but it seems like it may be dangerous.
    -As I alluded before, I kind of agree with the OP that a normal retail location of any sort should probably be open on a Tues. afternoon.
    -His creative 'u' for 'v' substitution in the original post was a most creative way of getting around the automated censor. Nothing was left to the imagination.

  57. #57
    Keep pedaling...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    281
    Skiis and Biikes put on a pretty good show at Kelso this weekend. They raised $2600 for some charity and gave out tons of prizes. I think everyone who was around for the draw at the end got something small.

    I like Skiis and Biikes. They're a great place to buy ski boots and just generally talk about skiing and biking with. I've always found them to be really nice people, more so than other stores.

    So while they may not be open on Tuesdays, maybe it's because they are busy on the weekend doing other things for the biking community?

  58. #58
    Keep pedaling...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    To acheive such a noble goal we all have to do our part. Does anybody care to jump down the OP's throat for claiming his "specialty is hustlenomics"?

    Personally I will not touch that subject as:
    -I don't know what hustlenomics is, but it seems like it may be dangerous.
    -As I alluded before, I kind of agree with the OP that a normal retail location of any sort should probably be open on a Tues. afternoon.
    -His creative 'u' for 'v' substitution in the original post was a most creative way of getting around the automated censor. Nothing was left to the imagination.
    Here you go:

    hustlenomics
    hustle by any means.
    -yung jocs album released aug. 28 2007
    let me show you how to hustle, work the hustlenomics


    Discuss...

  59. #59
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    Still my favourite thread. I think it has 4 page potential.
    4 pages would need some additional catalyst such as having a few random, <cough> unaffiliated <cough> people to chime in about how great their new shop in the Mississauga / Oakville area is;

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=603245

    I guess I just gave the cycle of destruction a few more pedal strokes. Oopsie.

  60. #60
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964
    can't knock the hustle

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,639
    There. Thread closer to a 4th page, post count +1.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by akura
    Now who's not taking responsibility! Blaming the keyboard when it's your fat fingers that screwed it up.

    I'd be pissed too man...If I was showing up to any business in the early afternoon on a Tuesday I wouldn't check to see if they were open. I'm sure this has happened MANY times before with this store.

    lol no it's more of a function of the "P" key broke off and I'm waiting for lenovo to send the replacement keyboard!!!

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailtrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll
    There. Thread closer to a 4th page, post count +1.
    you're a weasel

  64. #64
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash
    you're a weasel
    You're going to get this thread locked - just like most other threads here which exceed 100 posts.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scoutcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,987
    being closed on a tuesday is super lame and i would not think to check if a store was open on tues. sunday or monday - yeah, but tuesday is f-in stoopid.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailtrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    You're going to get this thread locked - just like most other threads here which exceed 100 posts.
    I apoligize, I should of waited until we got to pg 4

  67. #67
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash
    you're a weasel
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    You're going to get this thread locked - just like most other threads here which exceed 100 posts.
    Are you a weasel hater? Intolerance of this sort is not permitted around here. The weasel is a noble beast that parlays limited physical attributes into a remarkable ability for survival, not to mention being the originators of the famed "weasel war dance" without which our world would be a lesser place.

    Trailtrash could very well have been giving a compliment based on these revelations.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,639
    Actually, I am a Weasel lover... more like a Gerbil lover.

  69. #69
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Are you a weasel hater?
    No. In an earlier post I listed things I hate, and weasels did not make the list.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  70. #70
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll
    Actually, I am a Weasel lover... more like a Gerbil lover.
    Hopefully you know where to draw a sensible line with respect to practical applications of loving your gerbils.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    i think weasels are responsible for closing the store on tuesday

  72. #72
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    i think weasels are responsible for closing the store on tuesday
    lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Hate Skiis &amp; Bikes-long_tailed_weasel.jpg  

    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  73. #73
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    No. In an earlier post I listed things I hate, and weasels did not make the list.
    Does Trek make good weasels?

    Personal & thread post counts both +1 (hastening my perlious but inevitable descent toward 3786 posts)

  74. #74
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Does Trek make good weasels?
    I dunno. Ask Lance, or one of the other guys from The Shack. They might know.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailtrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Are you a weasel hater? Intolerance of this sort is not permitted around here. The weasel is a noble beast that parlays limited physical attributes into a remarkable ability for survival, not to mention being the originators of the famed "weasel war dance" without which our world would be a lesser place.

    Trailtrash could very well have been giving a compliment based on these revelations.
    I've got nothing against weasels.
    I just know "thatshowiroll" and he really does look like a weasel.
    thought i'd let everyone else know

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,837
    Weak sauce this is still only 2 pages.

    I once drove from Alliston to Barrie to get something from Bikeland and they were closed. The next time I called ahead. I showed them, ha I arrived before closing time.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    no more skiis and bikes for me. i am now loyal to kamikaze and cyclepath

  78. #78
    Keep pedaling...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    no more skiis and bikes for me. i am now loyal to kamikaze and cyclepath
    What are their hours?

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7
    Sure hope when you do get a chance to go and get your bike, that they don't charge you for storage. That would suck.

  80. #80
    Gears, beers and slices..
    Reputation: Pizza_Royale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    well is the shipyards, which is one of the most major developments in decades, owned by a ski resort? no.
    Actually, yes those developments are linked as well to the private ski clubs, even though they're not at the base. The clubs buy large lots of land, then lease or sell to their members. Don't be fooled by housing. Most of those developments are for the skiers. (even large ones like all phases of Cranberry)

    You see, there are huge problems finding winter houses in Collingwood for those who are members of the private clubs. Many own houses, mostly on lands owned by the clubs, but most actually rent houses through land management associated with the clubs. You'd be shocked, but think of it this way. Let's say Craigleith, Osler Bluff, Alpine and Georgian Peaks all have 3500 families - a good average (Craigleith and Osler are larger, Peaks and Alpine are smaller). That's 14,000 families that are looking for winter residences. Sadly, there is not much noticible money moving into the non-tourist economy from they - some revenue to ski shops and restaurants, but very little to anywhere else. Mostly, they ski, eat and party at the private clubs. Most of what you see in Collingwood in terms of tourist revenue (hotels, restaurants) is from the Blue Mountain crowd. Sadly, that revenue stream is only available in noticable amounts from Christmas until March Break. I hope that answered your question about Cwood economics. It's not the boom town you think it is. It's really an artificual, weather driven seasonal economy. Much like any other tourist town, the economy is rather bad and the income level low.

  81. #81
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,441
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    What are their hours?
    LOL!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

  82. #82
    Out there
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,298
    Your numbers are way, way, way off. The clubs don't have anything like 3500 families each. Most members use big family cottages, mostly NOT on the ski club lots. For the most part they wouldn't be seen dead in a Cranberry condo or one of the new subdivisions.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

  83. #83
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    i just drove from burlington to collingwood (over 2 hrs) to pick up my bike only to find out they are closed on tuesdays. WTF? what kind store closes on a FVCKING TUESDAY?! WHAT THE FVCKING FVCK?!!!


    But given the tag line on your post, you must have been expecting them to be closed on a Tuesday when you left home...right?
    Strava made me do it....

  84. #84
    Steady Creepin'
    Reputation: LuMach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    486
    so the dude f'ed up, let him vent a little..

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    But given the tag line on your post, you must have been expecting them to be closed on a Tuesday when you left home...right?
    This post is A+ material but unfortunately must take a significant deduction for late submission.

    Gotta hustle, baby.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    ok, here is another reason i dont like skiis and bikes. so again, i went to pick up my bike. this time it was open. the mechanic gives me my bike and tells me that it turns out there was nothing wrong with the shifters and cables at all. skeptically, i take the bike out the front door and ride it around in the parking lot to make sure it was working properly. i puch in the left thimb shifter and it doesnt pop back out, it just sticks there and the cahin keeps grinding up against the derailler and not changing. so i brought my bike back in and told the mechanic that nothing has been fixed at all and that the original reason i took it in for has not been resolved. his response: " ohhhhh, i thought i had to fix the shifter on the other side of the handlebar". i went in and CLEARLY told them what had to be fixed and they still managed to mess things up. so the mechanic takes a proper look at the shifter and finally realizes, two weeks later, that i need a replacement part from shimano. now i cant ride my bike for at least another week while those idiots there sort out my bike issues

  87. #87
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Giving you the benefit of a doubt so that we can assume your version is accurate and complete on all counts, I would have to admit this is somewhat pathetic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    ok, here is another reason i dont like skiis and bikes. so again, i went to pick up my bike. this time it was open. the mechanic gives me my bike and tells me that it turns out there was nothing wrong with the shifters and cables at all. skeptically, i take the bike out the front door and ride it around in the parking lot to make sure it was working properly. i puch in the left thimb shifter and it doesnt pop back out, it just sticks there and the cahin keeps grinding up against the derailler and not changing. so i brought my bike back in and told the mechanic that nothing has been fixed at all and that the original reason i took it in for has not been resolved. his response: " ohhhhh, i thought i had to fix the shifter on the other side of the handlebar". i went in and CLEARLY told them what had to be fixed and they still managed to mess things up. so the mechanic takes a proper look at the shifter and finally realizes, two weeks later, that i need a replacement part from shimano. now i cant ride my bike for at least another week while those idiots there sort out my bike issues

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    47
    The guy at the bike shop has probably read this thread. It will be several weeks before you get your bike back.

  89. #89
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    This post is A+ material but unfortunately must take a significant deduction for late submission.

    Gotta hustle, baby.

    I just noticed the tag line. But I claim a B
    Strava made me do it....

  90. #90
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Giving you the benefit of a doubt so that we can assume your version is accurate and complete on all counts, I would have to admit this is somewhat pathetic.

    I agree with Circlip. Why didn't you just take the bike then and there and take it someplace local to you. Hopefully a store that is not two hours away and not closed on Tuesdays...
    Strava made me do it....

  91. #91
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    I agree with Circlip. Why didn't you just take the bike then and there and take it someplace local to you. Hopefully a store that is not two hours away and not closed on Tuesdays...
    More to the point. Shifters just aren't that expensive unless bleeding edge with XTR, XO or similar. Anything mid-range and up from SRAM or Shimano (depending on which brand's drivetrain you run) will work great, almost as well as the top end stuff, if adjusted properly.

    OP will probably spend more in gas on the next round trip to the shop, lose all the time on the road, and time in between that he could have beeen riding for the cost of a complete new shifter, or set of shifters if you can't buy one side only. Sometimes one has to know when to cut their losses.

    I would have taken the bike with me and waved goodbye, gone somewhere else to get the new shifter(s), installed it (see Park Tools web site if OP doesn't know how already) or else taken it to another shop to do so. IMHO this is a classic case of someone using lot of energy and resources beating their head against a proverbial wall, but that's their prerogative I suppose.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    i see what your saying but as i said before, i have a cottage in collingwood that i use on most weekends so whether or not i need to pick up a bike, i will still go up there quite frequently

  93. #93
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    i see what your saying but as i said before, i have a cottage in collingwood that i use on most weekends so whether or not i need to pick up a bike, i will still go up there quite frequently
    But, you said you hate Skis and Bikes, and pledged your loyalty to other shops. You also complained about being without your bike for another week or two.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    no more skiis and bikes for me. i am now loyal to kamikaze and cyclepath
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    now i cant ride my bike for at least another week while those idiots there sort out my bike issues


    .
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  94. #94
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1
    i see what your saying but as i said before, i have a cottage in collingwood that i use on most weekends so whether or not i need to pick up a bike, i will still go up there quite frequently
    So you were complaining about all the time driving back and forth in your original post, but now you're not complaining about the time spent driving? Has to be one or the other.

    Ignoring all else, as rkj said it's the time off the bike for another week or two. If that's worth $50 to you then you could solve the problem easily yourself buying a new shifter and installing it yourself (not a difficult mechanical task and easily learned from Park Tools web site plus documentation with new shifter). While I do try my best not to make $50 mistakes with riding expenses, the truth is that I've made $50 errors (or worse) of one type or another more times than I care to count whether it's beeen related to foul-ups on equipment (including crash damage), gas, race entries, etc. that somehow went wrong. Just part of the cost of "doing business" when it comes to enjoying your riding.

  95. #95
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964
    alright, let's lock this one up.

  96. #96
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    alright, let's lock this one up.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    So you were complaining about all the time driving back and forth in your original post, but now you're not complaining about the time spent driving? Has to be one or the other.

    Ignoring all else, as rkj said it's the time off the bike for another week or two. If that's worth $50 to you then you could solve the problem easily yourself buying a new shifter and installing it yourself (not a difficult mechanical task and easily learned from Park Tools web site plus documentation with new shifter). While I do try my best not to make $50 mistakes with riding expenses, the truth is that I've made $50 errors (or worse) of one type or another more times than I care to count whether it's beeen related to foul-ups on equipment (including crash damage), gas, race entries, etc. that somehow went wrong. Just part of the cost of "doing business" when it comes to enjoying your riding.
    i dont mind the drive if im staying up for a few days but when it has to be done in one day it is very frustrating

  98. #98
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    No. In an earlier post I listed things I hate, and weasels did not make the list.
    Could we get a clarification of a Weasel please. Because when I hear the term Weasel I think of ,

    300 people who do the impossible.




  99. #99
    Bored
    Reputation: bigwheelboy_490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,982
    Best thread I've read in ages.

  100. #100
    Misfit Psycles
    Reputation: nogearshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,772
    hold on.

    this bike has gears?

    what was closed - the thread or the store?

    collingwood?
    that's a town?
    i thought that was a classified ad for porn stars...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

  101. #101
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    collingwood?

    i thought that was a classified ad for porn stars...
    hahaahaha

    (100th reply to thread!)
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  102. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,639
    So... Did ya get your bike back?

  103. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Overkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    479
    Funny thread.

    The bike shop in my town is also closed on tuesdays!! Even more annoying, is that the coffee shop is closed tuesdays too. That one hurts when you're looking forward to a nice cup of coffee (rushing to work of course) and you're denied with an empty parking lot.

  104. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1
    I'm very late to jump in on this, but a friend is letting me use his mtbr account. I'm Paul, the owner of Skiis&Biikes. Norcoshore1, I am sorry that you were not informed by the staff that we are closed Tues. CW is a small town and dead on weekdays so in order to give my limited staff a break we have closed Tuesdays for about 3 years in the summer only as the winters are busy all week. If you had called the store on the Wed after you drove to CW, we could have made arrangements to get you bike brought down to the Mississauga store so it would be easier for you to pick up. I am sorry about the miss-communications. If anyone has a problem with any of my stores please email me directly at [email protected] - if I don't know about it, I can't fix it.

  105. #105
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,104

    Nice touch Paul

    way to earn customers' respect and business. For the record, I have had nothing but excellent experience with your staff - particularly in Mississauga store. I hope you build the biking side of the business as strong as the ski side - which is top notch.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jan.Kowalski
    I'm very late to jump in on this, but a friend is letting me use his mtbr account. I'm Paul, the owner of Skiis&Biikes. Norcoshore1, I am sorry that you were not informed by the staff that we are closed Tues. CW is a small town and dead on weekdays so in order to give my limited staff a break we have closed Tuesdays for about 3 years in the summer only as the winters are busy all week. If you had called the store on the Wed after you drove to CW, we could have made arrangements to get you bike brought down to the Mississauga store so it would be easier for you to pick up. I am sorry about the miss-communications. If anyone has a problem with any of my stores please email me directly at [email protected] - if I don't know about it, I can't fix it.

  106. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8
    this post reminds me of an episode (or any episode for that matter) of Seinfeld

    ABOUT NOTHING

    If you have to drive 2+ hrs anywhere and it is important - call first

    Oh well, lesson learned grasshopper

  107. #107
    Muskoka
    Reputation: BlackCanoeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,441
    Quote Originally Posted by messenger666
    this post reminds me of an episode (or any episode for that matter) of Seinfeld

    ABOUT NOTHING

    If you have to drive 2+ hrs anywhere and it is important - call first

    Oh well, lesson learned grasshopper
    Well if you liked this, search for the fascinating 4 or 5 page thread about purchasing zipties!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.