How You Pick Your New Bike- Mtbr.com

Poll: How do you pick your bike?

X-Ray Guy

How You Pick Your New Bike

I need a new mountain bike this year and I've almost moved to a new city. Im still narrowing down want I want but also narrowing down what LBS I want to get it from. Was wondering how you guys pick your bikes. Just pick the bike you like best and buy it from the LBS has it or pick the best suited bike from your favourite LBS? Or just whoever gives you the best deal?

bi-winning
    As a seasonal LBS employee, I go for what my shop caries, which will typically be the best deal as well. I still ride a Giant though, because the original purchase was made before I was employed by a non Giant dealer.

Where ya moving to?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

X-Ray Guy
    Ive moved from hamilton to mississauga

GAME ON!
    if you want to buy new from the LBS, go to each one (or at least a few) and find the same type of bike (5" 29er, ss, etc.) from whatever brands they stock and try them. whichever one fits you best is yours. granted, i personally have never bought new from an LBS so i don't really know, but i suppose that is what i would do.

in the hammer, as you may know, there may not be a lot of different brands to choose from, but the GTA has probably everything you can imagine.

mtbr Decade+

Love at first sight.

With me, I see a bike and know I've got to have it.

Fortunately, my stable is large, so I don't need to panic. I've got other rides to keep me satisfied.

Therefore, I strategically wait patiently until I find my bike at a great deal. Then I pounce.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    The best deal my local shop carries?
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Other. I do not understand the concept of a new bike, I haven't bought a new bike since the last century.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    With me, I see a bike and know I've got to have it.

Fortunately, my stable is large, so I don't need to panic. I've got other rides to keep me satisfied.

Therefore, I strategically wait patiently until I find my bike at a great deal. Then I pounce.
    I'm exactly the same way, that's how I ended up with my last 2 bikes. I knew what I wanted (could afford) and it may have taken a year but finally the deals came around and I ended up getting them at a great bargain. They were both at my LBS so I was able to support the ONLY lbs in my area.

My road bike was bought used though. I'd love new but there are some used ones in such great shape for a fraction of the price.

Lemmy Rules!
    A bike is too big an investment not to buy the exact one I want (subject to budgetary and spousal constraints, of course)
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    I'm not sure I've ever bought two bikes the same way. I've run the gammut from an impulse buy at the Bike Show, to ordering a custom Ti frame, to stalking a "price" at a LBS.

There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer as long as you end up with a bike you love!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I'm not sure I've ever bought two bikes the same way. I've run the gammut from an impulse buy at the Bike Show, to ordering a custom Ti frame, to stalking a "price" at a LBS.

There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer as long as you end up with a bike you love!
    I'm about the same way. Here's the way I've acquired my bikes.

92' specialized hardrock. New. Went to a shop that had Specialized cause I wanted a specialized. Bike was way to big for me.
    94' Mongoose rockadile. New. Sold the hardrock, looking to upgrade, but had no money. Bought this in Florida on blow out cause it was cheap. Bike was way to big for me.
    98' Kona Lava Dome. New. Just looking for a bike, went to a shop I liked and bought something in my range/size. First properly fitting bike I owned.
    03' Giant VT. Used. Whatever I could find that was a reasonable price and had suspension for the East coast.
    06' Cannondale F600. Used. Just needed something more suited to Ontario riding/racing at a cheap price.
    07' Specialized Allez. New. Wanted a road bike, hit a few shops looking for something that fit and in the approximate price range.
    04' Epic. Bike show blow out. I keep looking, the salesman kept lowering the price till I couldn't help but buy it.
    98' Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. Used. Needed a commuter, this was cheap.
    99' Kona Kilua: Used. Bought the frame cheap and built up a Steel SS out of residual parts and couple orders.
    09' Kona Jake. Used. Needed a new commuter and a friend was looking to unload.
    09' Yeti ASR. New frame online. Built the rest with a combo of parts from online and local shops.
    09' Jamis Dragon Pro. Won it.
    10' Specialized Epic. Won it.
    11' Scott Team CX. Went to a shop I liked and found the CX bike I liked.

livin' large
    I find it's more of my bikes choosing me.
    it tied the room together man!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Being a dirtbag I pick the frame I want. 4 years ago it was the Chromag. Parts are accumulated from various sources. And do all the work myself.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Being a dirtbag I pick the frame I want. 4 years ago it was the Chromag. Parts are accumulated from various sources. And do all the work myself.
    +1, although i'm not sure i'm a dirtbag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Buy a Mtn Bike Buyers Guide

1. Know your riding style - XC, DH, DJ, Commuter, etc...
    2. Pick your frame type: FS, HT, Rigid
    3. Identify what's important to you: i.e. weight over strength, mid/hi end components,
    4. Look at preferred brands first then other brands based on a suitable design for how you ride
    5. Test ride - i always test ride at least 6 different bikes before buying one (unless i'm looking for a specific bike)
    6. Test ride again
    7. Select, pay, and ride, ride, ride.

X-Ray Guy
    Well i pulled the trigger today. Came down to a combination of what 2_WD posted and what Biggie said. Last couple weeks i did a large circuit radius reaching the edge of Mississauga/Etobicoke and back to my homelands in Hamilton to my usual shop. Got to see a lot of shops i never been to and well it helped. On one of my visits to a shop I've never been before i saw the Giant Trance X3. Didn't know it was an X3, thought it was an X2 but the bikes aren't really labelled with a clear marking of model. I really liked how it looked and it just stuck in my brain.

I had almost pulled the trigger on a Camber earlier in the week since i was a Specialized owner in the past and it felt like the thing to do.

Went to my local shop and talked to owner a bit and we worked out all the details and did a test ride on a X4 to test the size and all. Worked out a price and its on its way. Only 2 left in stock in Canada of my size.

Apparently sizes and colours are selling out fast this year. A lot of shops were telling me stock is low on the the mid/high end range.

I don't know if it was love at first site, just the best fit or secret mind control on rkj's part but I will now ride a Giant for 2011.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz
    Well i pulled the trigger today. Came down to a combination of what 2_WD posted and what Biggie said. Last couple weeks i did a large circuit radius reaching the edge of Mississauga/Etobicoke and back to my homelands in Hamilton to my usual shop. Got to see a lot of shops i never been to and well it helped. On one of my visits to a shop I've never been before i saw the Giant Trance X3. Didn't know it was an X3, thought it was an X2 but the bikes aren't really labelled with a clear marking of model. I really liked how it looked and it just stuck in my brain.

I had almost pulled the trigger on a Camber earlier in the week since i was a Specialized owner in the past and it felt like the thing to do.

Went to my local shop and talked to owner a bit and we worked out all the details and did a test ride on a X4 to test the size and all. Worked out a price and its on its way. Only 2 left in stock in Canada of my size.

Apparently sizes and colours are selling out fast this year. A lot of shops were telling me stock is low on the the mid/high end range.

I don't know if it was love at first site, just the best fit or secret mind control on rkj's part but I will now ride a Giant for 2011.
    Congrats dude Funny thing is when i was shopping for my new trail bike a couple of years back, I almost bought a Trance X3 instead of my XC (which is the Camber now). I think you would've made a good choice either way as they're very comparable bikes.

Now let's see some pics

Steady Creepin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    I think that's pretty common nowadays in the age of too-good-to-pass-up internet deals. It's exactly how my current bike came to be, and I have no regrets, got way more bike for the money than I would have otherwise. Although, I would also not consider myself a dirtbag, just bitter way beyond my years..

Evil Jr.
    Well done! I bet you're gonna love it (there's nothing quite like "new bike" smell) !
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

X-Ray Guy
    Well finally got it yesterday and of course its raining. Good experience with my new shop, staff was very knowledgeable and this was the first time ive ever been fitted for a mountain bike. It definately made the bike feel more balanced and comfortable.

Evil Jr.
    Interesting that you were fitted with such a short stem and the saddle 2/3 forward. What is that, a 90?

Looks sharp though (and fun)!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I decide exactly what kind of bike I want and build it from bits.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

namagomi
    Far too clean... looks like fun.

When I am looking for a new bicycle I'll often saunter over to it and quietly ask if they want to go for a spin.

And just in case this is a replacement - Don't your keep old bicycles around. Doing so leads to problems like you trying to work it out with them by purchasing them new bling and etc, since you feel bad they're just hanging around all the time and nobody is riding them!

X-Ray Guy
    Interesting that you were fitted with such a short stem and the saddle 2/3 forward. What is that, a 90?

Looks sharp though (and fun)!
    Yes the stem is either a 75 or a 90. The seat is pushed far forward because he was trying to move my center of mass more forward to distribute my weight more evenly between front and rear wheels. Ideally they recommended a straight post instead of the setback to get me even more forward but I think I will try this out for now and see how goes.

X-Ray Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    ]

And just in case this is a replacement - Don't your keep old bicycles around. Doing so leads to problems like you trying to work it out with them by purchasing them new bling and etc, since you feel bad they're just hanging around all the time and nobody is riding them!
    Not an issue this time I had sold my previous mountain bike about 9 months ago and was in need of something to go with my road and commuter bike. Next bike will be a cyclocross or a new commuter bike.

Evil Jr.
    Yes the stem is either a 75 or a 90. The seat is pushed far forward because he was trying to move my center of mass more forward to distribute my weight more evenly between front and rear wheels. Ideally they recommended a straight post instead of the setback to get me even more forward but I think I will try this out for now and see how goes.
    It does seem like some shops are fitting people are fitting people more "forward" at the moment which kind of counter-acts the laid-back set-up of most trail bikes. Did they check the weight distribution with you standing as well?

X-Ray Guy
    It does seem like some shops are fitting people are fitting people more "forward" at the moment which kind of counter-acts the laid-back set-up of most trail bikes. Did they check the weight distribution with you standing as well?

Yes I did feel kind of like they were applying a lot of principles of road bike fitting towards my mountain bike fit within a certain reason. I dont believe they did a standing weight distribution check but im not sure. They did a few measurements but mostly inseam and arm length. Alot of angles and relationships were measured with 3 oclock and 6 oclock pedal stroke positions. Watched my pedal stroke/leg movement for a few minutes of light spinning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The reason the Trance has a shorter stem is because it's more of an AM bike vs an XC bike (plus it's a medium frame) so you'll typically get a shorter stem with a longer travel fork...is that a 140 mm fork?

The majority of your weight distribution should be over your bottom bracket. By the looks of your setup, you prolly have a shorter leg stroke and/or are more torso than leg, or you're still growing and bought a bike to grow into for the next few years. I would have gone with the straight seat-post vs pushing the seat that far forward.

Either way, it's a great bike (was my #2 choice a couple of years back) but i just don't like the cable runs...imo. Other than that, you made a wise choice for a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! I have the same model and after a few rides ended up with similar setup as yours. Seat pushed forward even with the 90mm stem. The 27" bars were wide enough to make up for the shorter stem but not too wide as to make it uncomfortable on your wrists on longer rides. I did drop the handlebar height a bit to make it feel better on climbs. There's enough spacers on the steer tube to experiment to see what works for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's a 70mm stem. I have that same bike in same size, small. The fork is a 125mm travel.

Members who have read this thread: 0