How is the riding near Fredricton? Places to live?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How is the riding near Fredricton? Places to live?

I currently live in Phoenix, AZ, but may have a job offer in Fredricton in the near future. I'm in my 30's with a 4 year old daughter. Basically I like to ride and was wondering how the trails are in that area. I have a preference to longer technical rides, but just love riding in general. My question is, if I had to work in Fredricton, where would be a good place to live nearby that would have people like me (as in I don't want to live in a retirement community) that has good schools and a good amount of nearby trails? Yeah I know it will be totally different than Phoenix, but I am actually originally from Grand Falls, wife from Clair. It's crazy to think that I may be back in that area. Thanks for any responses.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    I just moved to the Fredericton area 2 weeks ago. Of all the places in Atlantic Canada, it has the largest number of mountain bike destinations. There are about 6-7 trail sets in the greater Fredericton area, which given the population density is pretty darn good.

I'm pretty new to the area, but from what I'm seeing there are a bunch of keen people that are making sure it's a pretty good scene. If you are on facebook there is a good page called 'Mountain bike Fredericton' which can give you a sense of what is happening. River Valley Cycling club is also a good place to start for more information.

I unfortunately haven't got to do too much riding since landing here, but in general the riding in eastern canada is pretty technical. As for 'long' that might be different to differenct people. I don't get the sense that you won't go anywhere and do a 4-5 hour singletrack ride, but it seems like many places are good for 2 hours rides for an average biker.

Being a university town and the capital of NB it will be a bit more of a hub for a younger demographic. While I haven't met that many people yet, the one group outing I was involved with was mostly 30-40 year old professionals.

Can't really comment on where to live (strava global heat map is good for that), but the Marysville area seems to be centrally located to two of the larger trail sets. Can't say what it's like, I actually live 45 minutes outside Fredericton and know less about the actual nuances of the city than anything else.

And you'll need a fatbike if you move here. They groom the trails for it in the winter.

If you have any further questions, let me know not sure If I'll be able to help more, but I don't mind trying. If you end up down here, get a hold of me and I can show you around the Minto trails.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Yeah it would be a big change from Phoenix I'm sure. I also just want to live in a spot where my family won't be bored too.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Figured I would give this thread a quick bump, as things are progressing in the new potential job. Meanwhile, another 105 degree day here...
-Grant Petersen