How many people are riding with dropper posts?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Are you riding with a dropper post?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

How many people are riding with dropper posts?

Particularly in the Don. They're a fairly substantial cost so I'm wondering how many of you are using one.
    2015 Brodie Romax
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Depends on the type of riding you do. If you like trying/riding all the wooden features or ride a lot of descents then it is definitely worth it. I use mine for riding skinnys and those really long log bridges without breaking the flow of the ride (e.g. stopping to lower the post).

mtbr member
    Even if you aren't a weight weenie, most dropper posts add a lot of weight. If you've got a heavier trail bike it won't make much of a difference but if you've got a rigid or hardtail or perhaps even a XC full suspension bike, you notice the increased weight.

Oh and they are one of the most unreliable features you can have/add on a bike.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'm surprised to see its close to 50/50. I only know one person who rides with one. Of course I live in the land of the flat where the highest elev change on a climb is 100m.

mtbr member
    I too am surprised to see so many riding on one. It's really nice to have. I live in the GTA and have no use for one. Also on a 27lb bike I'd notice the extra weight immediately.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    I am on my 3rd season of the Reverb on my Carbon Tallboy. I honestly did not notice an appreciable weight difference. It is listed at 535 grams. I hardly notice it. It is not something I use all the time, and is is great for skinnies and those rooty and really tricky steep descents. I also use it on some of the really rocky trails like the Bent Rim and sections of the Agreement Forest. It is nice in a lot of these situations to have some extra room to maneuver around. For me it is a matter of giving myself the most options out on the trail. I go out to have fun and am not concerned about an extra pound here or there. I don't want to pass up a really technical log ride or have to stop to adjust my seat height. I have had no issues with my post. It is quick to react and I can adjust my seat height to suit conditions in a instant and that is worth more to me than any weight savings.
    Last edited by secret agent; 07-02-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Also on a 27lb bike I'd notice the extra weight immediately.
    You might notice the weight when you pick up your bike to "feel how light it is", but you can't notice that much weight when riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dropper post? Whats that?

Type of riding I do here in the GTA (mostly XC) no one in my group has one.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm with Secret Agent. I run a dropper post everywhere. I remember back when guys thought suspension was too heavy and disc brakes were too heavy LOL.
    All part of evolution. Don't knock it till you try it(and learn to use it efficiently)
    And BTW I am a big weight weenie..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Dropper post? Whats that?

Type of riding I do here in the GTA (mostly XC) no one in my group has one.
    Same. I don't do anything gnarly anyway.

mtbr member
    I found that on the 29er, it was more of a necessity than on the 26er. I still have my 26" hardtail, but it is now set up sort of Street/Joyride. It does not see much trail time. It honestly can make some pretty sketchy stuff more doable, which may seem like cheating, but I have also done stuff I would not have done with the seat up. I have seen riders do some pretty hairy stuff with the seat post way up there and I am always impressed, but I don't have to. Like Silverstick said, I think they will be far more common in the future and will be standard equipment on many rides in the future. I think even the 650B bikes would benefit nicely from having them. I don't think it would be much of a benefit in the Don. I have only ridden there a handful of times and never used it.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    I was lucky to get a 9point8 demo for a trip last summer where I rode all sorts of varied terrain. While it was nice to have, I never felt I needed it and most of the time forgot it was there (this included riding the Mont St. Anne World Cup XCO course which had a couple gnarly steeper sections).

I don't find I'm limited by my seat placement on my bikes for the terrain that I generally ride. I find other attributes like stem length, head tube angle, etc have a larger contribution, and certainly if my bike was set up more 'relaxed' and I was consistently riding terrain that demanded a lower seat it would be a major benefit and much more noticeable.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    It took me almost a full season to remember I had mine and to use it. You certainly do not need one. As a racer, you are probably well used to a very aggressive seat and head angle position and are used to riding this way. I am on a slacker bike and old and probably less flexible(can you hear me creaking) so I find it helps. I can probably do 95% of what I do without it, but feel way more comfortable and less risk using it when i need it. It's just another tool, and I don't see anyone getting one on a race rig.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Most normal seat post weigh 250-300 grams? A reverb is 535. I wounder how many people can feel the difference when their water bottle is full to empty?

mtbr member
    I use one on my xc, tbh I thought I'd use it 'more' but it does come in handy at least once per ride. Didn't notice the weight but I'm already a heffer and usually roll with a back back full of water, tools, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have one, but I can't say I truly need it unless I'm doing trials or riding the black trails at Blue Mountain or something of the equivalent difficulty. For everything else I can ride with the seat up and have no issues, however, it's often more fun to drop the seat down so I have the space to really move around and attack the trail. I've started calling it the "fun button" for downhill sections and anything with jumps or drops.

humber river advocate

Good job!

i run a lev ks. once you get the hang of it and learn where to adjust the heights on your particular bike in relation to the trail/features, it becomes a real advantage. i want one on every bike i own.

How many people are riding with dropper posts?-dsc05364.jpg
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Lemmy Rules!
    Have never really seen the need for one for the sort of riding I do, even in the Don. It may be because I have a 22lb carbon 29er hardtail, though
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    That set up screams fast aggressive set up. It would be almost a crime to put one on a bike like that. I bet that set up is closer to my road bike than my MTB's. Hurts my back just thinking about it.
    Burnt Norton

Lemmy Rules!
    Actually no, it's designed with a bit of give in the back triangle and has a Save seat post which also has some built in lateral flex. I thought it was marketing crap at first but I can actually notice it, in a good way. Thread hijack over.
    Strava made me do it....

Muskoka
    I also have the Reverb on my RM Altitude, have had zero issues with it in 3 seasons. That said, I rarely use it on my home trails..Buckwallow. Got a great deal on it off eBay, the LBS price was ridiculous. I thought it would help up my game somewhat for the tech trails but that hasn't happened. I probably should have invested in some bigger balls instead!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Yes...I try to ride over stuff that being able to get the saddle and post out of the way decreases negative consequences.

looks like bunny hop to me.

i recommend improving skills. that would negate the need for dropper post.

Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Yes...I try to ride over stuff that being able to get the saddle and post out of the way decreases negative consequences.

Lemmy Rules!
    Oggie, are you running a dropper post on your Dogma?
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Oggie, are you running a dropper post on your Dogma?
    yep. road version of lev ks. once you try it, you never look back.
    Signature

humber river advocate
    old school top tube padding...

How many people are riding with dropper posts?-83-mini-burner-red.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    other part purchase priorities is the only reason I keep putting off buying one. Riding mostly in Waterdown, with lots of short steep ups and downs, it would be fun to have one. Not a requirement though

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Oh and they are one of the most unreliable features you can have/add on a bike.
    That isn't very true. My friends and I have been using dropper posts for a few years without issue. Apart from cleaning and adding some grease under the seal, I have not had to service mine nor has it not functioned correctly. I use a KS Drop Zone (not sure of the exact model off hand..).

I don't even find that the main advantage is dropping it all the way down. It is dropping it just a fraction that I find helps the most. It takes that sketchy feeling away while you are going over big roots, rocks and whatever else on steep or off camber bits of trail. The action of lowering it is almost like shifting to me now, I just do it. I don't really think about it.

I will also not go back to not using one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    That isn't very true. My friends and I have been using dropper posts for a few years without issue. Apart from cleaning and adding some grease under the seal, I have not had to service mine nor has it not functioned correctly. I use a KS Drop Zone (not sure of the exact model off hand..).
    I don't know if your experience is typical. I read about a lot of failures. And if the dropper isn't the most unreliable part, than what would be?

I don't even find that the main advantage is dropping it all the way down. It is dropping it just a fraction that I find helps the most. It takes that sketchy feeling away while you are going over big roots, rocks and whatever else on steep or off camber bits of trail.

That's true for me as well. My seat is usually at full extension or maybe 2 inches down. With the seat too low you can't use it to press your leg on for stability, so I only drop it all the way if I'm going to try something really scary and I want to get my body as low as possible.