How can I find other volunteers to help build trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

How can I find other volunteers to help build trails?

So I have contacted my local Conservation Authority about adding some Singletrack to a local conservation area. They are interested in the idea and are going to be presenting the idea at a planning meeting. We already have MacCauley Mtn in our region (Quinte), so I made the suggestion that our Conservation Authority could try to aim our areas at mtb/hiking trails, possibly giving mtb enthusiasts a place to travel to explore a number of different cycling centers in a reasonable distance from each other. The latter is a pipe dream, but the immediate opportunity that I may be able to add trails to my local riding spot makes me wonder how to find other people willing to help. I tried posting on Kijiji and had only one reply in a month. Any suggestions or volunteers? The place I'm looking at is Vanderwater Conservation Area. Thx

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by puds View Post
    Any suggestions or volunteers? The place I'm looking at is Vanderwater Conservation Area. Thx
    Aside from what you are already doing with social media (this forum, free classifieds, etc.) maybe consider reaching out to local riding clubs and bike shops? They will benefit also, and therefore it's reasonable to assume you could pick up a few more motivated people from these. Will the conservation authority itself post up any information for you on their own web site?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well I haven't gotten the green light, but I'd like to have some things sorted out if I do get it sometime soon. Ideally I would like to build them in the fall for next riding season just to avoid the heat and bugs! I will ask about the website thing if it does happen soon though, thx for the tip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I seem to recall the guy at the bloomfield bike shop did some work and trail maintenance in MaCauley conservation. Not sure that he would help, as Vanderwater is quite far from there but it may be a point to Network from.

Head over to Doug's Bicycle maybe another networking point or see if they have a group ride.....meet some people.....or ask the guys in the shop, who is riding and where.

Does trenton have a bike shop?
    I recall many moons ago that Batawa use to do some xc races......there has to be more mtb'ers in the neighbourhood.

I would love to see you building trails in Vanderwater.....I frequent belleville several times a year.....but not enough to be of any use.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ya Bloomfield Bicycle Club put the trails in at MacCauley as far as I know, a bit far from there though. I was at Doug's today and forgot to ask, however I have taught two of the four employees there and it seems like the people that frequent that store tend to be either roadies or BMX types, doesn't hurt to ask though. I'm new to the sport, started up after leaving ATV MX, my buddies stayed at the mx track so I literally ride by myself. If I knew local mtb enthusiasts I am sure it would be easier to recruit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Do the group rmtb ride with the bloomfield guy.....he will probably know the local mountain bike guys or call him up.

He seemed like a pretty cool guy when I met him.

He might know some guys that are located in Belleville that would be willing to help.

My brother still has lots of friends in the area, I will ask if he knows anyone.

Once you network with a bunch of people and make some connections it should start to roll.

bottom line I think at some point or another any local mtb'er will have to roll through one of the local shop for parts or service.

Dougs bike, doesn't want to climb on board the project in some capacity? trails = bike sales?

humber river advocate
    i would contact the local orv clubs. they are always looking for projects like this to improve their image.

Napanee ATV CLUB

So I have contacted my local Conservation Authority about adding some Singletrack to a local conservation area. They are interested in the idea and are going to be presenting the idea at a planning meeting. We already have MacCauley Mtn in our region (Quinte), so I made the suggestion that our Conservation Authority could try to aim our areas at mtb/hiking trails, possibly giving mtb enthusiasts a place to travel to explore a number of different cycling centers in a reasonable distance from each other. The latter is a pipe dream, but the immediate opportunity that I may be able to add trails to my local riding spot makes me wonder how to find other people willing to help. I tried posting on Kijiji and had only one reply in a month. Any suggestions or volunteers? The place I'm looking at is Vanderwater Conservation Area. Thx
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    What about the roadie club?

Chaingang Bicycle club, there is bound to be some mountain bikers in the group?

chaingang (at) lanroc (dot) com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Ya Bloomfield Bicycle Club put the trails in at MacCauley as far as I know, a bit far from there though. I was at Doug's today and forgot to ask, however I have taught two of the four employees there and it seems like the people that frequent that store tend to be either roadies or BMX types, doesn't hurt to ask though. I'm new to the sport, started up after leaving ATV MX, my buddies stayed at the mx track so I literally ride by myself. If I knew local mtb enthusiasts I am sure it would be easier to recruit.
    Only other groups on public land near you is Endo and Nitro, The Nitro are DJ and Ontario Freeride oriented though.

endo.newpublishing.com - mountain biking in and around Brockville, Ontario

Unfortunately the situation in Eastern Ontario is different then Southern.. largely because of populaton. And the reality that there isn't the level of threat of trail access lost as in Southern Ontario. It seems the majority of Conservation authorities allow it. But I think it simply a by product of the rider numbers are incredibily low compared to areas around Toronto and Hamilton.

And in some cases like Brockville and Kingston the public areas are on private land. But this situation will start changing as landowwners age and so on.

Though this isn't a good sitiation as it breeds I guess I kind of apathy as nothing is really threatened out here. But the reality is that will change as I mentioned before. Like in Kingston Collins Bay trail system for example. The farmer who owned all the land and turned a blind eye to it as long as no one messed with his fields. About 4 months he died and his kids don't want to have anything to do with it. So it will be developed. This scenario is going to play out morte often then people think out here. But sadly no one seems to care. Just take it for granted.

Evil Jr.
    I don't know how it will work for you out east but I can tell you how we got rolling down in Hamilton.

About three years ago, langford started a thread just like this right here and a bunch of us banded together and had a couple of "town hall" meetings at local pubs.

A core group of about eight guys formed and after a lot of meeting and greeting, we finally got the green light from our CA to start digging.

Now, we have a regular (albeit rotating) group of about 10 guys that get out almost weekly to build.

Reach out to Igor at IMBA Canada and he might already have a list of keeners right in your area.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Lots of great advice guys, I'll try reaching out to some clubs for help.

No. Just No.
    Lots of great advice guys, I'll try reaching out to some clubs for help.
    Even if you find some clubs that aren't interested in participating officially as a club initiative, if they are at least willing to distribute the information to their members you can probably pick up a few other motivated individuals one at a time. Word of mouth spreads, then as Garage Monster described eventually you may have a core group that is willing to put in the sweat equity to move it forward from a labour perspective.

Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0