How is Boler Mtn. London?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

How is Boler Mtn. London?

Has anybody ridden on Boler mtn. lately? I would like to hit the trails this Friday. I'm assuming the trails are pretty good after such a dry week.

Ready to ride.

Mar 2005
    Did you go? and if so, how where they?

Heading up there myself this weekend

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by ol' Dirt McGert
    Did you go? and if so, how where they?

Heading up there myself this weekend

I didn't go to Boler. But I did go to Meadowlilly. It was very dry. Hardly any mud. I'm assuming Boler will be even better, seeing how it is at a higher elevation than Meadowlilly. Have fun if you go.

Aug 2004
    is boler open yet?
    meadowlily is looking nice, although next time i should take a saw and do something about that tree in the entrance. or let someone else do it. on second though, i'll leave it to keep everyone except me out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Where the heck is mtn bouler London?

Jos

Oct 2004
    Boler Mountain is a great venue. I raced there in the fall. Even with the trails on the slick side, it was still good riding. I was extremely impressed by the quality of ride.
    I'd go often, if i wasn't 200km away.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Where the heck is mtn bouler London?
    west london ontario

DaBomb Molotov rider
    I've never been to Boler yet, but what are the trails like? How do they compare to Fanshawe? I thought Fanshawe is a fairly decent XC trail, good variety, rocks, roots, flat singletrack, plus small ups and downs, though no jumps or anything wild. Is Boler similar or is it more aggressive?

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by londonlad
    I've never been to Boler yet, but what are the trails like? How do they compare to Fanshawe? I thought Fanshawe is a fairly decent XC trail, good variety, rocks, roots, flat singletrack, plus small ups and downs, though no jumps or anything wild. Is Boler similar or is it more aggressive?
    boler is physically more demanding than fanshawe, and it has a lot of altitude changes, mostly steep and short (hence the designation as 'mountain'), but it is technically easier and a lot shorter. there are also sections where it branches off into intermediate and expert trails, then they come back together after a bit, then split off again. boler also has lots of signs and is a lot better mainained than fanshawe. boler also has races every thursday evening (if you want to race plan to arrive at 6)

Jan 2004

Idea! Yes Boler is good

Hi, I was at boler last week
    There are races on Thursday nights, and it's open in may saturday/sunday and on thursday for the races. It formally is open during the week for riding in June. I would say Boler is a whole lot more technical than fanshawe. I live in london, and ride fanshawe every couple of weeks. Boler has a more steep climbs, and fast descents, it has some burmed corners, and a couple of rock gardens. I would say fanshawe has a great deal more flow, whereas boler has a few small jumps (not hire than a couple feet at max speed). Boler was expanded this season, and props to the trail designers, it's a huge improvement over last year. Give the thursday races a try, there are a ton of classes Beginner/Sport/Elite, and people aren't race crazy there, Enjoy!

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris009
    Give the thursday races a try, there are a ton of classes Beginner/Sport/Elite, and people aren't race crazy there, Enjoy!
    who else from mtbr goes to the thursday races at boler?

DaBomb Molotov rider

Weekday riding at Boler in May

Since they're only officially open weekends in May, how fussy are they about people going on the trails during the week? Is it just a liability issue, so if you go during the week you're on your own if something happens? Or are you guaranteed to get into big trouble regardless?

Aug 2004
    Since they're only officially open weekends in May, how fussy are they about people going on the trails during the week? Is it just a liability issue, so if you go during the week you're on your own if something happens? Or are you guaranteed to get into big trouble regardless?
    they explicitly say not to ride the trails when closed, but lots of people do. i wouldn't, just out of respect for the people who run the place and their rules (and because i'm hoping to attract some good karma). i don't think they'll do anything about it, but who knows.

DaBomb Molotov rider

Good job! XC racing at Boler Mtn

Two questions about Boler:

1. For the XC races on Thursdays, do they charge extra to participate? (above the regular $6 fee to use the trails)

2. What are some of the typical winning or competitor "times" in the different classes of the XC races? (ie, how long is a typical race?) And is it just one "lap"? And is it the same route every race?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 2004
    Two questions about Boler:

1. For the XC races on Thursdays, do they charge extra to participate? (above the regular $6 fee to use the trails)
    race fee is $10, unless you have a season pass, in which case it is $5, or if you have a racing pass its free

2. What are some of the typical winning or competitor "times" in the different classes of the XC races? (ie, how long is a typical race?) And is it just one "lap"? And is it the same route every race?

Thanks in advance!
    the route is always the same. assuming you know what i mean, beginner is 2 laps of the yellow course, sport is 2 laps of the white course, elite is 3 laps of the white course and the 4 lap open is (!) 4 laps of the white course. time for elite is about 1:10. times for sport vary, i race about a 53 min, the winning time is typically around 48 min (i think). the atmosphere is really casual and you will only know who won if you go asking around. they don't even tell you your time unless you go and find out. hope to see you around there sometime! (tomorrow?)

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    race fee is $10, unless you have a season pass, in which case it is $5, or if you have a racing pass its free
    Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated! Does the $10 include using the trails? Or do you have to pay $6 in addition to the $10 for the race?

Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    hope to see you around there sometime! (tomorrow?)
    Maybe some time soon, I've never ridden at Boler yet though - I'd probably want to try the trail a couple times first right? What kind of bike do you ride, so I can look out for ya if ever I do show up on a Thursday nite?

Aug 2004
    Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated! Does the $10 include using the trails? Or do you have to pay $6 in addition to the $10 for the race?
    you don't pay extra to use the trail
    Maybe some time soon, I've never ridden at Boler yet though - I'd probably want to try the trail a couple times first right? What kind of bike do you ride, so I can look out for ya if ever I do show up on a Thursday nite?
    yeah you'd want to get in a couple rides on the trail first. i'm sometimes there on wed and/or sat, and usually on thursdays too. im the young guy on a red and black trek hardtail (or possibly on a grey fully rigid ss)