How was Blue Mountain?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

How was Blue Mountain?

Line ups? Good times? Damaged paint jobs from the shuttle trailers? Hucks and bails? How many runs in a day? Gimme the deets...
    G

mtbr member
    it was pretty good.

I was there on Sunday and had 6 runs in by noon, probably topped out around 10-12 or so.
    Once the crowds started appearing (1-2pm) things quickly overwhelmed the shuttle situation and lineups got to be at least 15-20mins. They were running two trailers (the third had spun a bearing on Saturday and was out) with a pick up truck. Pretty lame situation for those arriving at lunch time since you would be getting roughly 1-2 runs in per hour, might get one more IF you luck out on a trailer or always do the runs by the lift.

Saw one girl with a bum ankle being helped by the medics, had some close calls with hikers on the dh trails (a collision is going to happen if this continues) and was not at my most skillfull on the Highway drop (landed it but felt pretty awkward), guess I need to get up there more often.

Shot Glass was open but is in a very early stage, grass poking up through the dirt and virtually no berms or jumps on it yet. Not as much flow on it though, certainly no Showcase or Autobahn.

Clem

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was in the area last week for vacation (no bike though ) and scoped out the scene. As a beginner and xc rider, I can't say I will be riding Blue anytime soon. As a ski hill it's not intimidating at all, but riding a bike down there scares me; I'm not a thrill seeker looking for a broken neck. I'm sure with a good FS/downhill bike and some armour I would be better prepared, but not this year.

So to the newb's out there planning to try DH, plan a short trip there 1st and check it out and make sure it's for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    I was in the area last week for vacation (no bike though ) and scoped out the scene. As a beginner and xc rider, I can't say I will be riding Blue anytime soon. As a ski hill it's not intimidating at all, but riding a bike down there scares me; I'm not a thrill seeker looking for a broken neck. I'm sure with a good FS/downhill bike and some armour I would be better prepared, but not this year.

So to the newb's out there planning to try DH, plan a short trip there 1st and check it out and make sure it's for you.
    Keep in mind that the trails to the South are not as steep as those near the gondola and are designed more for beginners.
    As I've said before, with a little common sense even a newb could negotiate a few trails there and learn a lot in the process.

Clem

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    remember also that there are supposed to be some xc trails across the top of the mtn. According to info from Blue mtn you can hook up to 3 stages or to across the top of the mtn and across Craigleith ski club and hook up with Loree forest.

I've watched these guys bomb down the mtn and man do they have guts to do that. I've just gotten dr's approval to begin buildiung up the things i'd do regularly so I'm hoping to begin some singletrack riding within the next few weeks.
    So much to make up for that i haven't been able to do the last couple of months.... I think the dr gave me approval cause he just wants someone to go riding with