how about some ontario mtbr member rides- Mtbr.com
    the wrench

how about some ontario mtbr member rides

well the title speakes for itself. all the guys on here from the us do it. so why dont us canadian folk should have mtbr member group rides. any one from any skill level can come. mabye even have it be a weekly or a bi-weekly thing. is its bi-weekly and its reall crappy one one of the days the other day it should be better.

as for places for group rides i would have to suggest durham forest or its nextdoor naighbour 3-rox/glen major/walker woods, because its in relative close proximity to toronto and makes for good 20-30km rides.

so what do you guys think? it would be great if everyone came up with their idea a good times to have a bi-weekly ride that way i can be sot to e convienent for more people.

p.s i not only approve of it but i also highly encourage you to play hookie and leave work early from work to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Check out my site TheRide.ca. We post weekly rides in and around the GTA.

I think we'll post rides that others are planning next year in addition to my "organized" rides every Sunday.
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

want to ride ?

Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    Check out my site TheRide.ca. We post weekly rides in and around the GTA.

I think we'll post rides that others are planning next year in addition to my "organized" rides every Sunday.

When will you organize rides this april ? I live in TO. I want to ride in groups. I am only intermediate rider. My muscles have weaken over the winter. Is there way I can contact you guys for ride????

Jul 2004
    I will be down for sure come the end of april once things dry up. I will be at durham/glen major a lot this summer.

Just post the time, and place.

livin' large
    I'll come out, I've never riden there and it would be nice to have a tour guide, although I doubt I can make a weekly thing. I'd be happy to play tour guide on my local trails round Georgetown, Milton, Erin way
    it tied the room together man!

the wrench
    i would have to say may first atthe soonest, as the trails had about 6-8 inches of wet sonw on them. sunday may 1st to me sounds posible. i will update with ride times sooner to date as we may get another april storm. the only problem with sunday rides is that they would most likely have to start late(5ish) as i work.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Durham forest first ?

Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    i would have to say may first atthe soonest, as the trails had about 6-8 inches of wet sonw on them. sunday may 1st to me sounds posible. i will update with ride times sooner to date as we may get another april storm. the only problem with sunday rides is that they would most likely have to start late(5ish) as i work.

I guess we can wait for mid april better weather. The ground is too wet there. Can we start with Durham forest as first ride this spring. I never been to durham forest. I went to Dagmar but that place is having financial difficulties thus it closed down the biking trails.

Apr 2005
    I would be well up for this.. If we are talking Ontario here. Keep me posted.

the wrench
    yeah it would be most likley durham forest ride. mabye even some 3/rox if theres enough left in the winter legs.

and yes it is ontario ginolocious
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

banned
    Feb 2005
    The Great garboui!!!!!!!
    Well done bud, Mark and Lora from IMBA would love to ride with the tribe.
    I think you have the makings of something very helpfull to Ontario MTBers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

wait for warmer weather this spring

I think we should wait for warmer weather at the end of april. Durham forest still has frozen snow. I don't want to wear winter clothing to ride on such nice setting.

I already rode that
    I'm always up for a ride as long as its not through mud. Unfortunately lack of a gasguzzler makes me sleep in the passenger seats So I'm usually booting through the Don.

mtbr member
    Great idea! I'm up for it when I get my Cane Creek's. My Noleen's are shot, i'm not particularly fond of bouncing around on just springs.

I can sympathise with limitations. My usual rides were the small stuff off the beaten path of the Humber River trail. Yeah, i've got the same stuff in my backyard!

Keep this thread updated!!!

the wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    I think we should wait for warmer weather at the end of april. Durham forest still has frozen snow. I don't want to wear winter clothing to ride on such nice setting.
    so far sunday may 1st is the tentative date for an 5:00 ride(late enough for people who work but still leaves a good 2.5 hours of rideable light). allthough this is canada so depending on trail conditions it may change. because of the soil type if the weather stays nice it should be all good by may. i will keep posted with updates.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Apr 2005
    Well i would be up for this, if i could find out where this place is and how to get there, and other than that, i would be up for it. Of course if you want a beginner tagging along.. who is lost in confusion on biking lol.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Hey GinoLicious you joined the same day as Picard 04/04/2005 .
    I mixed up your posts in my mind with Picards, I though I had read a quote from you in the Womens Louge, I was wrong, sorry.
    I have to run now but I will be back later if you would like to CHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 2005
    Now im totally confused.. What should happeend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Idea! buy: "Mountain bike Guide to Ontario" book

Quote Originally Posted by GinoLicious
    Now im totally confused.. What should happeend?

hey Gino, If you want to know all the sweet riding spots in Ontario, You must buy the book called "mountain bke guide to Ontario" by Ruder Mel's. It is sold at many biking store and also at MEC store. You have to go to the store to get it

It has driving map to all trail locations. It listed trail condition base on level difficulty. I found this book to be very useful when choosing a trail. The book cost only $19.95 Cdn
    Come to Durham forest. I will be glad to have new riders joinning me for long ride.
    Last edited by Picard; 04-06-2005 at 07:59 PM. Reason: fix typo error

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    hey Gino, If you want to know all the sweet riding spots in Ontario, You must buy the book called "mountain bke guide to Ontario" by Ruder Mel's. It is sold at many biking store and also at MEC store. You have to go to the store to get it

It has driving map to all trail locations. It listed trail condition base on level difficulty. I found this book to be very useful when choosing a trail. The book cost only $19.95 Cdn
    Come to Durham forest. I will be glad to have new riders joinning me for long ride.
    I actually like the book "Mountain Bike Here: Ontario And Central & Western New York" by Sue Lebrecht better even though I lost my copy sometime last year. I haven't seen the book for sale anywhere in a while but if I do I plan on picking up another copy. It was published in 1999 so some of the trails may be closed currently. I know Dagmar is and I believe Santa's Village is in there too.

rad to the power of sick
    For any of the west side boys (Mississauga, Oakville, burlingtonm, hamilton)...Im totally up for a group ride. Let's see how peoples schedu;es work and maybe we can do weekly trips to Kelso, hiltonfalls, waterdown etc..

Followed by a cold brewski of course.

Cheers
    Aaron
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! PM me to schedule bike ride end of april

You guys can PM me if you want to go on group ride. we can decide on location later.

They say I have a problem
    How can it be a group ride if he PM's you??
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    we can arrange with each other. PM allows everyone to get each other phone number to schedule ride

They say I have a problem
    Oh....In the old days we'd just say...Let's meet at such and such time at such and such place and said come one, come all...We actually got some pretty big groups together that way...
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Apr 2005
    Well i am located in Oakville. Do not have my Norco yet, but i hopefully obtain it very soon.

rad to the power of sick
    Hey dude..

It doesnt have to be that complicated....Just put a time and place and I can assure you that you will get a big group. .

Cheers
    Aaron

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    yea, Durham is great for the east crew, but us on the better side (west side ) would be kinda SOL, I know going to ravenshoe after work, with taking the 407 still put me there at around 6:20 (that's leaving work at 5)
    think we should set up some rides at albion, hilton, some night rides at kelso
    etc for us on the greener side
    I Ride, I Know

Jul 2004
    So are people still interested in doing this? Yeah I know the weather has turned on us, but it is may 1st next Sunday.

Anyone interested in a ride at Durham/Glen major May 1st or the following weekend?

rad to the power of sick
    As soon as it dries I'm going to be riding at waterdown/kelso/hilton a couple times a week. Ill post in advance and maybe we'll get something going.

Cheers
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Durham forest weather gets better !!

Ok, I am waiting for better weather too. I can go to durham forest, waterdown, kelso, Hilton. Hold off on dagmar. We don'tknow if it is closed permanently ! I have to check with Dagmar.

I haven't visit durham forest at all. I would like to go very much if you guys don't mind !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by capun_canuck
    So are people still interested in doing this? Yeah I know the weather has turned on us, but it is may 1st next Sunday.

Anyone interested in a ride at Durham/Glen major May 1st or the following weekend?
    I'll be in the GTA next weekend & can make it for a 3 PM start (I work till 2:30). We could meet @ the Durham Forest parking lot on the west side. Hopefully the weather will be better.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Mar 2005
    Well if the weather improves by next week I'd like to ride... the catch is that I needa kind soul to take pitty on me and help with transportation. If anyone is willing please email me, money for gas, transportation, misc costs will be glady provided (no strippers my wife won't approve).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crash&Burn
    (no strippers my wife won't approve).
    Hey, you never heard the old saying, "What goes on the road, stays on the road"?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good job! Orono Ride

Hi Chad I didn't see your PM until a few minutes ago. Do the low spots that are muddy now dry up in the summer? I put on just over 7 & a half miles in about an hour & a half. Couple of other guys riding as well.

The sunglasses were a pain when I was riding in the cedars along the creek. Pretty dark

I got back to the parking lot & meet up w/ 2 guys from work. One was just heading in on his bike & the other was just passing by when he saw my truck.

Other than the mud a nice day to go riding.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

sock puppet

i'd go anywhere west as well... or

Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    yea, Durham is great for the east crew, but us on the better side (west side ) would be kinda SOL, I know going to ravenshoe after work, with taking the 407 still put me there at around 6:20 (that's leaving work at 5)
    think we should set up some rides at albion, hilton, some night rides at kelso
    etc for us on the greener side
    we can alternate every other weekend east - west...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    The sunglasses were a pain when I was riding in the cedars along the creek. Pretty dark
    Other than the mud a nice day to go riding.
    They dry up nicely, which is why I'm trying to resist tearing them up. What trails did you take?
    The north end and creak trails are very soggy for another week or two at least.

Did you ride south of the Rail line? Was there still pools of standing water on the trail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Oh....In the old days we'd just say...Let's meet at such and such time at such and such place and said come one, come all...We actually got some pretty big groups together that way...
    Old fart.

JUST kidding Rich!

I finally got a bike. A Trek donated to me by a Cleveland Spokejunkie.

I'm ready to take it on some trails this weekend if the RAIN ever lets up! I'm gonna have to get my body out of winter hibernation as well. *groan*

This Saturday i might hit the Don trails as it's close to home and then when the weather starts to get less soggy.. I wanna hit Glen Major and Durham Forest. Hill climbs are the best way to get in shape roight?

I already rode that
    I'd work on building endurance up. Hill climbs can come later but thats just me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad-WL
    Did you ride south of the Rail line? Was there still pools of standing water on the trail?
    Yes I did. I would say about a quarter of the trail along the creek south of the railbed was the worst. The south 1/2 was good except for the ditch beside the road.

This Saturday i might hit the Don trails
    Let us know if you go how it was. Mind you the forecast doesn't look good. I want to do some riding up there, but night shift coming up sort of makes for a short day.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Jul 2004
    Well the weather this weekend looks terrible. However the following weekend looks promising, sun for the upcoming week along with nicer temps. I suggest a Sunday Durham/glen major ride then (may something)? I will repost closer to the date.

Depending on the weather/trail conditions I might check out Durham on Sunday. I am the short 20 something dude with a Kona Dawg Matic if anyone sees me out there.

alex