Hot August Night- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Hot August Night

Less then a week away and I don't see a thread on Hot August Night, At the moment the weather is looking good that will be a nice change. Just did a 24 hr down in NH last weekend and the rain held off until 11 am on Sunday, That was a great event if anybody is down that way next August, Looking foward to next weekend but a sign that summer is coming to an end .
    Last edited by gmstrek8; 08-21-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Evil Jr.
    Camp Misfit will be loud and proud in its usual spot. PA, lights and a generator have been secured. The vuvuzela and cowbells are locked and loaded!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    I'll be there.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Camp Misfit will be loud and proud in its usual spot. PA, lights and a generator have been secured. The vuvuzela and cowbells are locked and loaded!
    No-one said anything to me about a vuvuzela. Is it too late to change teams?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Is this disco ball making another appearance?

If my knee feels better I may try to ride up and stop by to say hello.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I'll be there plodding around the course as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmstrek8 View Post
    Less then a week away and I don't see a thread on Hot August Night, At the moment the weather is looking good that will be a nice change. Just did a 24 hr down in NH last weekend and the rain held off until 11 am on Sunday, That was a great event if anybody is down that way next August, Looking foward to next weekend but a sign that summer is coming to an end .
    We'll be there and I'm hoping for no rain!

I'm surprised that no one is talking about this event with only a week away. Perhaps the 24 hour event is losing a bit of popularity?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wonder if the change in weekends has turned alot of people away. I think money has a big thing to do with it too. This may be my last 24 hr. Will take a good look at the future of racing after HAN. Hope to see everybody at the race.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Is this disco ball making another appearance?
    Heck yes it is! If Peter stops by, he can still take it to decorate his pad...

mtbr member
    I wonder if the change in weekends has turned alot of people away. I think money has a big thing to do with it too. This may be my last 24 hr. Will take a good look at the future of racing after HAN. Hope to see everybody at the race.
    I actually prefer the weekend change. Last weekend, I was able to do the MS ride in Niagara Same with the date change in June!

I did the race in the last 6 - 8 years, and the idea of the 24 hour race is getting a bit old

Chico does manage to put out more exciting routes with every race though, so there is something new to look forward to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I can't wait to contribute to the noise They don't call me Louda for nuthin

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Registered on a 5 man team, "Father Steve and the Choir Boys". I did not pick the team name.

bi-winning
    I did the Albion 24s for several years in a row, but then took a year or two off. They are expensive. However, after missing a few (which were mostly rainy anyways ) I will admit I was happy to do them again this year. I had a great time at Solstice this year, and am looking forward to this weekend.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    rode the course tonight
    way to much double track (fire road) for my liking.
    there will be plenty of sub 40 minute laps.

haven't signed up for this but will be there to cheer friends on

Evil Jr.
    There is a lot of yellow on this map:

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Was up there this weekend. LOTS of double track, no serious climbs, there will be very fast lap times.

bi-winning
    There is a lot of yellow on this map:
    But there is also "super-awesome trail."

lol

No major surprises with the course map. Seems like a pretty typical Chico 2011 course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    rode the course tonight

You have 8 minutes if you are still up. They held it over until midnight Monday night. Hurry hurry

mtbr member
    rode the course tonight

Maybe I'll dust-off my Pennyfarther.

mtbr member
    rode the course last night, and one trail i really liked is the switchbacks towards the start / finish, part of IMBA ally, but it's not on the course, shown on the map though...
    but hey, a fire, beer and bikes is all i need to have fun!!!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I do love how you can pick up speed on the downhill before "Pinecomb Express" then coast through the first 1/4 of the "super awesome trail". Fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There was a wedding on the weekend, so some of the full course wasn't featured this past weekend.

We are doing some final tweaking of the course.

Thanks,
    Adam

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by chicoracing View Post
    We are doing some final tweaking of the course.

Thanks,
    Adam
    More super fun singletrack please.

K, thanks, bye,
    Ryan

wanna be racer...settling

anxious...gooood :))

Oh yeah! Getting pumped for this as I have been the last couple of years! Really excited that misfit is going to be pumping tunes as well Will base future HANSOLO entries alllll based on this year's performance...you fast/strong solo guys under 40 stay away to keep me coming back
    That day has come :)

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbragdon View Post
    Oh yeah! Getting pumped for this as I have been the last couple of years! Really excited that misfit is going to be pumping tunes as well Will base future HANSOLO entries alllll based on this year's performance...you fast/strong solo guys under 40 stay away to keep me coming back
    So this is your first solo?

All solos get EXTRA cheering at Camp Misfit. Lots of us have "been there, done that" so empathy abounds.

sock puppet

based on his signature - not the first.

So this is your first solo?
    I think.

Hoping for the first one to have raced it instead of surviving it... cool... this is a good opportunity as the course will be solo friendly based on yesterdays prerace...

Rumor has it more singletrack will be added...

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Rumor has it more singletrack will be added...
    That would be super awesome!

How was the course last night? Fast as it looks on the map?

sock puppet

it was fast - no doubt...

times were in 45 min average, fastest guys sub 40 easily - with the start loop included.

I suspect "Hot August Nights" trail may be included - it is a classic. How can you have Hot August Nights race without it...

I like the zig-zag section just before the first road crossing. Are Misfits going to be there or by the sandy climb across the road?

The course was a hard work nonetheless, as there are a few sections where one can recover - this applies to ambitious racers only though...

That would be super awesome!

How was the course last night? Fast as it looks on the map?

Evil Jr.
    Are Misfits going to be there or by the sandy climb across the road?
    We'll be near the top of the sandy climb similarly set up as we've been the last two years.

Hot August Nights would be good but it does come very quickly after High Roller. Epic Ride would be good too.

I Strava Hamburgers
    God I have such a love hate relationship with that sand climb.

My first race ever was HAN last year. I remember suffering up that as a 300lb rider, but it having the best music every time I'd crawl through it. So every time I got to that section I was torn between hating it, and loving it for the metal that was playing.

I'm really looking forward to the race. Corp team this time though, I'm sure I can twist arms to get a couple more laps in then average

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    God I have such a love hate relationship with that sand climb.

My first race ever was HAN last year. I remember suffering up that as a 300lb rider, but it having the best music every time I'd crawl through it. So every time I got to that section I was torn between hating it, and loving it for the metal that was playing.

I'm really looking forward to the race. Corp team this time though, I'm sure I can twist arms to get a couple more laps in then average
    We were thinking Lawrence Welk medley this time. Seriously - if people want to hear specific music, ipod loans are accepted. We're trustworthy. Mostly.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Will be bringing some Primus for a night run then.

mtbr member
    Just got word that I've been called up to the big leagues and hopefully not slowing down a 6-10 person team (too much anyway).

I should really unpack my bike.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Will be bringing some Primus for a night run then.
    Not to worry 14Stone - I am bringing my ipod and I have you covered already. Would you prefer Frizzle Fry, Sailing the Seas of Cheese or Tales from the Punchbowl?

This gives me an idea for a new thread....
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I would also like to add that when I'm madly ringing a cowbell for your benefit, the humour value of "More cowbell!" disappears after the tenth person has said it. Really? More? I challenge you all to pant out "Just enough cowbell!" as you climb past Camp Misfit.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I would also like to add that when I'm madly ringing a cowbell for your benefit, the humour value of "More cowbell!" disappears after the tenth person has said it. Really? More? I challenge you all to pant out "Just enough cowbell!" as you climb past Camp Misfit.
    I'll add "Don't Fear the Reaper" to the playlist.
    Strava made me do it....

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Not to worry 14Stone - I am bringing my ipod and I have you covered already. Would you prefer Frizzle Fry, Sailing the Seas of Cheese or Tales from the Punchbowl?

This gives me an idea for a new thread....
    Its Pudding Time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    HAN experts - I did my first 24hr at the Solstice this year - I'm certainly no "racer" but I'm not the slowest guy on the course either (I was doing about an hour) - just wondering about expected etiquette being passed on the singletrack. I found myself pulling over and in a couple of occasions actually stopping (since I would have run into a tree) when being lapped because I didn't want to be that guy impeding someone's progress. I'm pretty sure it added almost 10 minutes to one of my laps...so, is it OK to just keep going along my way just as long as I make a conscious effort to stay over as much as possible/slow down a bit and leave it up to the person overtaking me to make the effort to get past?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by crudest View Post
    HAN experts - I did my first 24hr at the Solstice this year - I'm certainly no "racer" but I'm not the slowest guy on the course either (I was doing about an hour) - just wondering about expected etiquette being passed on the singletrack. I found myself pulling over and in a couple of occasions actually stopping (since I would have run into a tree) when being lapped because I didn't want to be that guy impeding someone's progress. I'm pretty sure it added almost 10 minutes to one of my laps...so, is it OK to just keep going along my way just as long as I make a conscious effort to stay over as much as possible/slow down a bit and leave it up to the person overtaking me to make the effort to get past?

I think I speak for most people when I say that I would certainly never expect a slower rider to actually stop and pull over to let me past. In fact, I would feel kind of bad about you having to stop.

My sense is that most people, presuming they are not complete d**chebads, would be OK with you keeping going and pulling over a little when you felt it was safe to do so..
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Yep - communication is the key. If you hear someone coming up fast behind you, ask if they want by. If it's a tight twisty bit, tell them you'll let them by as soon as it's safe. Then (with some warning) call out "Go left!" or "Go right". I usually thank them for their patience if it's been a bit. Having said that, it IS possible to execute safe passes in singletrack. If someone calls out a pass, just try to stay to one side (preferably not the side on which they say they're passing!) and keep a consistent line. It doesn't hurt to ease up a little to make the pass quicker, but stopping can actually be bad, especially if you have an awkward dismount. You're in a race too!

mtbr member
    Alot of double track !!
    Are we susposed to bring a date and hold hands while we ride ???
    More singletrack please , it's a Mt.bike race not road riding on dirt. !!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    but hey, a fire, beer and bikes is all i need to have fun!!!
    With your clothes on... I suspect.
    Signature

Ahhhhh...nope not first. Have done HANSOLO twice before...first time doesn't count as it became the 12 hr. Also have done the epic 8 series solo as well...never all three but usually 2 of 3 for last 3 years. Blew out my right AC joint this spring (3rd degree = no more ligaments now and got a slow start to this years events, and am really looking forward to this event as (won't curse it)....."things" are looking goood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash&bern View Post
    Alot of double track !!
    i think i know you

sock puppet
    i think i know you
    Good to see you barking at us trailtrash last night. I was too busy chasing that kid ahead of me and completely out of oxygen so couldn't bark back. Which doesn't happen often to me.
    Signature

mtbr member
    you passed me earlier on your preride
    i was on pinecomb express adding more stuff around "the rock" as you rode over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I believe Sean has added Albion Witch singletrack as that area needed some more. I will post on chicoracing.com and facebook tomorrow how the course has been updated.

Thanks,
    Adam

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    It doesn't hurt to ease up a little to make the pass quicker, but stopping can actually be bad, especially if you have an awkward dismount. You're in a race too!
    I can't speak for everyone out there but it actually makes me feel bad when people stop to let me by. Passing doesn't need to be dangerous and anyone going fast enough to make passes *should* both know the course well enough to know when it's safe and have the skill to do it quickly and cleanly.

Call your passes and thank the rider for letting you by when you go (and by all means, if you're the second rider in a train, don't just try to squeeze by - call that too, from behind. "Two on your right"). Common courtesy goes a long way.

sock puppet
    you passed me earlier on your preride
    i was on pinecomb express adding more stuff around "the rock" as you rode over.
    I was late for the race. Lined up straight from the car. Must have been someone else. I was sporting the red Hot August Nights jersey, unlike regular nights. Must have seen James who rode in the same usual sausage suit outfit.
    Signature

Evil Jr.
    We'll be near the top of the sandy climb similarly set up as we've been the last two years.
    In the spirit of announcing course changes, I have just found out that Camp Misfit will be located beside the beach parking lot this year (similar to a few years ago when we had the chesterfield). That means you'll be going around us rather than by us.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash&bern View Post
    Alot of double track !!
    Excessive x2track is needed when that singletrack looks too scary for the kiddies to rip.

bi-winning
    I'll add "Don't Fear the Reaper" to the playlist.
    I heard that playing during a race not that long ago. I really dug it, seemed to be a good fit.

Edit, request added to dance party thread.

mtbr member
    must admit it was just a red streak that went by. it was moving so fast i just assumed.

bi-winning
    Well, after hearing many rave reviews of pierogi as race fuel, I've finally added them to my menu. It's going to be another great two-four. Have fun everyone.

Evil Jr.
    Just unloaded the truck after a fantastic weekend! So much win (and I'm not just talking about my shiny gold medal, )!

Congratulations to all the riders and podium-sitters and thanks to my team for putting up with my slow a$$.

If this was in fact the last HAN, we saw it out in style. The hijinx at Camp Misfit went on nearly 'til dawn! Hopefully, you heard your request as you rode by and if not, at least it was something suitably loud.

Perfect weather, excellent course, great people and tons of beer: yep, living the dream!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Once again a great 24hrs weekend. Great to see so many of you and congrats to everybody that podium. Just one big disappointing moment...No Barbie girls on the opening lap:

mtbr member
    If this was in fact the last HAN, we saw it out in style. The hijinx at Camp Misfit went on nearly 'til dawn! Hopefully, you heard your request as you rode by and if not, at least it was something suitably loud.
    This may have been the last HAN?

sock puppet

congrats and thanks for the most

awesome entertainment and encouragement from the Camp Misfit. The Disco Ball was once again one of the highlights of the weekend, well, other than one of our own test riding his new downhill rig. Needless to say, he loved it, as it can be seen from the picture.

Many battles were fought between different teams, and our battle was as good as any. Congrats to Hardwood kids and Shorthills speedsters for finishing ahead. Podium beer was special.

Team speed didn't disappoint. Easily recognizable team kits and hot riders. Some of them were less hot than the others. Your call.

The course conditions were perfect, even during the night. Perfect weather for a great bike festival. Lots of familiar friendly faces. The riding etiquette on the course was impeccable.

Kudos to everyone for contributing to a great weekend of riding and socializing. Great job Chico.

Legendary LeHair rode the last leg on a spitting shiny carbon squishy. He was as fast on it as he was on his single speed. Competition - take notice.

Captain was on top of his game - after his not so secret training camp somewhere on the west coast. He stormed in with 5 seconds remaining on the race clock. Way to go Captain...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot August Night-img_1778.jpg  

Hot August Night-img_1786.jpg  

Hot August Night-img_1784.jpg  

Hot August Night-img_1822.jpg  

Hot August Night-img_1788.jpg  

Hot August Night-img_1797.jpg  

Hot August Night-img_1837.jpg  

Last edited by osokolo; 08-28-2011 at 06:48 PM.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I got some camp Misfit pics I'll put up later.

Was an excellent weekend of riding and racing for sure. That grass berm around the camp was a riot every time I went by.

PLAY MORE PRIMUS!!!

mtbr member
    What do you mean this maybe the last HAN? I thought it was suspicious that Chico didn't have the plank ride setup this year.

sock puppet
    it is just a rumour. let's let Chico comment on that...

Lemmy Rules!
    I've noticed this event getting smaller and smaller every year so I would not be surprised. I hope it is just a rumour because it is such a great way to end the summer.
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I've noticed this event getting smaller and smaller every year so I would not be surprised. I hope it is just a rumour because it is such a great way to end the summer.
    You could add the weather factor in as well lately. With all the storms lately some will also be wary of a repeat of the 12 Hours of Bog Trotting.

WHAT A TRIP!!! Could the weather have been any better?!?!?! Highlights of the event...hands down, the MISFIT camps tunes pumpin through speakers to the point of blowing...looked forward to that downhill section each lap. Did I see moustached columbian drug lords at one point??? A perfect point in the course for a little....motivation.

High moments: Albion witch and nice long "though provoking" stretch after water station before Pinecone Express.....

Low moments.....other than the occasional battle in my mind....NONE!!! Fantastic job to Chico, Misfits, Albion staff and my Pops (support crew)who helped me stand on podium this year

mtbr member
    maybe have an other 8 hour in its place

mtbr member
    This was my return to 24 hour racing after a couple years off. The highs and lows were just as I remember them! Thanks to mtbmeister and osokolo for hooking me up with a team.

As was mentioned, we had a tight category, notably the top 3. Great job to SHCC - Return of the Trombone, lead by JCR and RKJ who nicked us. Though we are still considering filing a protest with the UCI regarding receiving outside help on the course

I had a fun lap last lap (hot lap trying to get us in before 12:00 so we could send out Guy on his borrowed anti bike). The problem was, I had to run my fastest time to make it in. This was a lap of pain and suffering. First 2-3 km the legs were just revolting (not surprising since I didn't warm up). If any teammates had seen me come back through the start finish area, I would have given the 'cutting the throat signal' meaning I wasn't going to make it and I was easing up. Luckily no one was there cheering me on as osokolo probably would have broken my legs if I did make that sign. Just so I knew what not being able to pedal was really all about.

I made the decision to keep it reasonable on the false flat into, then the first climb in woo woo. After that point, hopefully the legs were stretched out and I could go. It worked, by the time I exited and started towards the misfit camp, things were picking up. Don't get me wrong, there were still many JV moments; 'shut up legs', but at least they had the pedal in them, pain was just a state of mind.

Rest of the lap was tunnel vision, trying to tell myself to be a little faster through this section than I had been before. Big thank you to all the riders on course, I wasn't held up once, for a moment. A well announced 'rider chasing 12:00 deadline, can I pass as soon as possible please' gave me a clear track, and lots of 'givers'

Then it all looked like it was going to end. Exiting momentum flow, I see medics on the trail telling me to slow. They had just loaded someone into the Chico truck (I hope whoever that was is OKAY). As I came up the truck, there wasn't much room to pass and it wasn't traveling quickly. I asked the medics in the back if I could pass, which they denied, understandably as they likely figured I would hold them up, or just cause an unsafe situation. When I quickly realized the 10 km/h they were doing was a wee bit slower than my intended speed, I asked again, this time saying I was chasing the 12:00 deadline. Whoever was driving (I think it was Sean), must of heard this and pulled over a bit, stopped and waved me by. Sweet, I really pushed it on that last open hammer fest towards the bridge 1) cause I needed to go fast, and 2) cause I didn't want to hold up the truck, which I never saw again, as they weren't likely approaching 40 km/h with someone in the back. Big thank you to the guy driving the chico truck and again, I hope whoever was in the back was okay. I didn't mean to put racing in front of someone's health but at the time I was pretty zoned into one thing (and it all happened so quick).

As I made the final road crossing to follow the gravel path along the river into the transition, I asked some people on the side of the trail how long I had: '3 minutes'. First thought was, I'm pulling a lap time I never imagined, relax, second realistic thought was, those people are wrong, 'shut up legs'.

When I arrived at that final, little rooty climb before the 'no pass zone', I came upon 4 people, all taking the right, smooth line. I also heard chico announcing 30 seconds. Oh crap, I'm not going to make it if I need to follow these people, lock out the fork and hammer the left, rooty line, got in front of everyone just before the no pass sign. Clear track into the finish, read the chip, hand off, 5 seconds left. Not sure how many, if any of those riders I passed made it in.

Then mtbmeister handed me a beer. Great race.

mtbr member
    DAMN! I noticed there were only 53 teams in the 6 -10 company category. Typically there are over a 100 teams.

Oh well, if this was the last HAN, hopefully something equally as fun pops up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    T
    When I arrived at that final, little rooty climb before the 'no pass zone', I came upon 4 people, all taking the right, smooth line. I also heard chico announcing 30 seconds. Oh crap, I'm not going to make it if I need to follow these people, lock out the fork and hammer the left, rooty line, got in front of everyone just before the no pass sign. Clear track into the finish, read the chip, hand off, 5 seconds left. Not sure how many, if any of those riders I passed made it in.

Then mtbmeister handed me a beer. Great race.
    You must have passed by me...I checked in at 11:59:59...there was nobody waiting at the finish for me though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbragdon View Post
    Low moments.....other than the occasional battle in my mind....NONE!!! Fantastic job to Chico, Misfits....:
    I loved the Doppler effect by the Misfit camp. Whatever song got stuck in my head passing by that area got me though the live & learn section...although I found that stupid little climb before the water station to be the worst on the whole course for some reason.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by macming View Post
    DAMN! I noticed there were only 53 teams in the 6 -10 company category. Typically there are over a 100 teams.

Oh well, if this was the last HAN, hopefully something equally as fun pops up.
    HAN was designed as a spill-over for people who couldn't get into Soltice. Now that the numbers have sort of "normalized" for both events, I would be cool with a Solstice-only Summer.

However, it does make planning the race season a little more complicated. Do I take a run at a Solo podium next year or do I just sit back and run Camp Misfit? Both are tempting...

On the upside, it looks like Crank the Shield is back for 2012. We were already working out ways to make it work for us on the way home!

mtbr member
    You must have passed by me...I checked in at 11:59:59...there was nobody waiting at the finish for me though...
    Glad you made it in, sucks no one took you up on your hard work though!

Also glad I was not even a fleeting memory, better than hearing 'some jackass was bouncing all over the place, cut us off, didn't call his pass and we missed out on the cut off'

sock puppet

or even a 12 hour event...

maybe have an other 8 hour in its place
    good idea...

Lemmy Rules!
    I loved the Doppler effect by the Misfit camp. Whatever song got stuck in my head passing by that area got me though the live & learn section...although I found that stupid little climb before the water station to be the worst on the whole course for some reason.
    My Ipod was playing at Camp Misfit for most of Saturday afternoon before Team Speed took over DJ duty (at which time the debauchery went up a notch). On my first lap, I got "Sin City" by AC/DC and "sang" (well, er... yelled) along with the lyrics as I came through. My team-mates were not pleased as they felt if I could do that I was not pushing it hard enough.

We went into Saturday night in first place in a category, only to have it all become unravelled (or perhaps unglued?) on my Sunday morning lap, where I flatted just past Pinecomb Express, only to find that my spare tube was not holding air. I rode on a flat front tire (this is the only thing I have ever had in common with Lance Armstrong) until High Roller, when my flat front tire came off the bead. To me, taking the front wheel off to put the tire back on the wheel so I could keep riding on a flat tire seemed just too pathetic to contemplate, so I ran the bike from High Roller to the finish. Thanks to everyone outside the chalet who cheered as I staggered in. It was exactly what I needed to hear after one of my all-time *****ty race experiences. We dropped to 5th position, but some superb riding by my team-mates allowed us to drag ourselves back into 3rd.

Thanks to all at Camp Misfit for a truly memorable way to finish off my summer mountainbiking (although there is some good stuff on tap for the fall - Paul's Dirty Enduro 100k, Anti-Race, Monstercross, and Singletrack Challenge).

Thanks to all at Chico Racing for putting on a great event, as always.

And most of all, thanks to Adrian, Jamie and Erica. I couldn't have asked for better team-mates. I hope I didn't slow you down too much.

And yes, I'm going tubeless for '12...
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Congrats to gmstrek8 for an awesome podium finish in the Solo Women's category! She looked peppy every time through Camp Misfit. Having gone through the solo thing, I know how much of an accomplishment that is on its own!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks Nerdgirl it was great to see you cheering everybody on. Strange not seeing you riding. I actually was feeling pretty good considering I had just done a 24 hr two weeks before. Ride my bike 3-4 times a season and then do the rest during the 24 hrs that is just silly. I'm paying for it today though. I hope they don't cancel HAN. Hope to see you on the trails next season Nerdgirl and thanks again.

Evil Jr.
    HAN Highlight #1: Watching in disbelief as four (BIG) wild turkeys crossed the trail ahead of me on my way to the big vista turn on Saturday evening.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I heard somethings in the woods late at night maybe that's what it was. Three years ago I had a deer run across the trail at about 2 am. I sure wasn't expecting that and I definitely wouldn't have expected to see wild turkeys.

Evil Jr.
    HAN (kinda) Highlight #2: The guy that stuffed it in the berm around Camp Misfit and broke his collar bone Sunday morning. I believe it was one of the Crankskins guys from New York. Ted did his usual seamless job in gathering up the pieces and getting him back to home base.

sock puppet

any inside info on the casualty

just after High Roller on the DT connecting it to HAN, on the INSIDE of the long fast sweeping left hander?

Like how did he end up in the bush inside of the corner, not outside (which makes way more sense)...

Hope it ended fine.

HAN (kinda) Highlight #2: The guy that stuffed it in the berm around Camp Misfit and broke his collar bone Sunday morning. I believe it was one of the Crankskins guys from New York. Ted did his usual seamless job in gathering up the pieces and getting him back to home base.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Enjoyed the race immensely with an 8-man team. Perfect team size for 3 almost-guaranteed laps and a laid-back approach.

I really hope this race continues for years to come.

Evil Jr.
    just after High Roller on the DT connecting it to HAN, on the INSIDE of the long fast sweeping left hander?

Like how did he end up in the bush inside of the corner, not outside (which makes way more sense)...

Hope it ended fine.
    I didn't hear about that guy but I did find a rider who was WAY off in the woods on the bermy downhill part of Handle With Care. He said he was fine (if winded) but I was still in awe at just how far down the hill he'd gone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hope it ended fine.
    I went by just as the truck was showing up to pick him up - he did not look good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Pretty sure I caught somebody cutting the course early on Saturday. He was under the tape with a mechanical at the start of woo wu and by the time I did that and the other downhill single track and up to the grass he was riding up to me and two other riders. Never caught the number I was trying to figure out where he came from.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I know for a fact (unless of course there were identical twins wearing identical clothes riding identical bikes) that I passed the same guy twice early Sunday morning. First in the earlier part of the lap on some single track and then again about 20minutes later I passed him on a climb.

I was kinda disgusted by it but I'm there for a good time and riding, not for conflict. Cheesy as ***** if he actually cut his lap though....... We had fun this weekend. That's all I care about.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Lemmy Rules!
    Pretty sure I caught somebody cutting the course early on Saturday. He was under the tape with a mechanical at the start of woo wu and by the time I did that and the other downhill single track and up to the grass he was riding up to me and two other riders. Never caught the number I was trying to figure out where he came from.
    Booooo. His loss, though. I never realized how good a trail running venue Albion is until Sunday morning....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wonder if some who were short cutting were taking a right instead of a left after the first climb, effectively cutting out the first part of the course. I didn't recall seeing anybody stationed at the start of IMBA until I did my third lap?

Evil Jr.
    I wonder if some who were short cutting were taking a right instead of a left after the first climb, effectively cutting out the first part of the course. I didn't recall seeing anybody stationed at the start of IMBA until I did my third lap?
    There were definitely people making that wrong turn. A Solo friend of mine even reported people coming downhill towards her AWAY from IMBA Alley. "Are we going the right way?" Um, no.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes the most important part of it is the fun. My year didn't start out very good and lost all my confidence on the bike. Only did five laps at SS as the heart wasn't in it and it was an accident waiting to happen. I did a 24 hr in NH two weeks ago and it actually made me start liking to ride again. HAN confirmed that I do still like to ride. That is why I like HAN it is a lot more relaxed then SS and you can have more fun. Let's hope it doesn't change.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There were definitely people making that wrong turn. A Solo friend of mine even reported people coming downhill towards her AWAY from IMBA Alley. "Are we going the right way?" Um, no.
    I heard some people wanted to do the usual right at the top of the hill and not the left. I was standing there and somebody asked me left or right. Arrow was right in front of him.
    The guy I saw was fixing his bike and I did woo wu and not sure what the other trail is maybe part of tea cup only we went right out to the grass and he came riding along.
    I can only assume that is what he was doing. There is no self satisfaction when you cheat so if that's what some have to do then knock yourself out.
    Even when I walk the trail I never even cut corner I follow the whole course.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    One of our guys came within inches of hitting a deer on his night ride this year. Would have been great footage for the GoPro. One guy I could have swore I passed twice was wearing a TMK Racing or Chainreaction jersey. I thought I was experiencing Deja Vu.

I Strava Hamburgers

Some Camp Misfit pics here.

mtbr member
    Hubby and I raced our first mixed tag and came in third. I did 7 laps which is a whole lot more than the three I usually do on our usual 5 person mixed team. It was a different kind of race, just getting it done instead of going for a fast lap.

Highlights

#1 - I almost hit a huge beaver (um... you know the animal) on my first night lap.

#2 - I saw some green eyes in the forest and had a deer cross the trail in front of me on my second night lap (that was a tough lap and seeing the deer made the lap worth it for me).

#3 - I saw a flat chipmunk right after the beautiful lookout Sunday am, poor bugger.

#4 - I loved hearing the music for the water station in the forest before coming up to it knowing I was halfway done the lap. I also loved the 1 km to go sign!

#5 - Great trails, Handle with Care was a lot of fun and High Roller was punishing at the end of the lap for sure.

#6 - Standing on stage getting a medal, some goodies and beer was awesome!

Great job Chico!
    Last edited by Big Hustler; 08-30-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    FAT since 09.
    Fatties are year round bikes!

namagomi
    Impressive... a berm! Sort of

I'm surprised there are not more broken bones(collar bones excluded - practice the tuck and roll!) considering rates of osteoponia among cycling endurance athletes. Any of you get a DXA scan? Also surprised nobody has been actually sprayed by a skunk or hit a porcupine... gonna happen one year.

for the guy in sleeveless cut off and addidas shoes.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    for the guy in sleeveless cut off and addidas shoes.
    That would be Tyler (aka TSpeed). He was soooo hurtin' on Sunday morning. An evening of belting out Johnny Cash will do that to you!

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Are there any pics posted anywhere other than Raceday? There seemed to be more people taking pics than usual this year. Anyone know?
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Team Speed Co-Founder
    Wow… What a weekend! My voice is still a little scratchy though it is coming back. This was only the second time since HAN 2007 that I have not done a tag team at one the 24 hour events and I’m beginning to think that the new toughest category is No nights while camping at camp misfit! I have never felt worse going out for a lap as I did at 7:30 am Sunday morning! I defiantly needed some alone time while out on the course. Thanks to everyone that made camp misfit the best camp site ever and for putting up with the debauchery that was Saturday Night. Also a special thanks to Molsons for providing the liquid courage! Some of my highlights were Arek rocking out to some Pantera while using the vuvuzela as an air guitar. Rock on!!! That guy… who kept request Primus…. We’ll sail the seas of cheese next time! And Hardwood Dad Dave how came by the site around 3:30 am after most (All but B-Speed) had gone to bed and help cheer on and polish off some more of the keg. Next stop Anti Race 2011!
    Thou Shalt Always Respect the Plight

No. Just No.
    I'm surprised there are not more broken bones(collar bones excluded - practice the tuck and roll!) considering rates of osteoponia among cycling endurance athletes. Any of you get a DXA scan?
    The study with the rates you are referring to are of cyclists who ride road only, correct? Talk around this study as it relates to mountain biking was that even a minor amount of physical loading (similar to bracing against the typical jolts and bumps on almost any mountain biking trail) would be enough to stave off that effect and maintain bone density. I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV though.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    The study with the rates you are referring to are of cyclists who ride road only, correct? Talk around this study as it relates to mountain biking was that even a minor amount of physical loading (similar to bracing against the typical jolts and bumps on almost any mountain biking trail) would be enough to stave off that effect and maintain bone density. I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV though.
    The original study was contentious... yes.

About the "bumps" I thought so also but apparently not, mountain bikers suffer the same problems... They have better upper-body bone density(due to loading from bumps) than roadies, but hip density was still far below the average for athletes like runners and something more akin to the average couch potato and descending. There isn't enough jarring force that way in relation to the aerobic efforts.

I forget her name... she was a 24hr rider who won a few events but had to retire at 32 due to osteoporosis. Hit the weights!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Plyometrics is your friend. You get the jarring loads required to maintain bone density and as a bonus, you develop the explosive power for demolishing other riders in sprints.

Or your could take up Muay Thai and go kick some trees.
    Jon Fitch kicks a banana tree down

OCD
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Plyometrics is your friend. You get the jarring loads required to maintain bone density and as a bonus, you develop the explosive power for demolishing other riders in sprints.

Or your could take up Muay Thai and go kick some trees.
    Jon Fitch kicks a banana tree down
    No joking, plyometrics are great. I started supplementing my training with kickboxing twice a week last fall, a good bit of plyo involved in that training. I can say that my fitness, strength, and endurance has never been better on the mountain bike. After 14 laps at HAN I was still lapping at just about 50 minutes (Tag Team) and felt I could continue doing the same for a good while yet.

Maybe it's the obsessive biking I do on non-kickboxing days too, but I do feel it has made a huge difference.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Evil Jr.
    I have got to stop talking to the photographer while on course.

Eye of the tiger!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Posing for the camera.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anymore truth to the rumour? I am starting to get the feeling it is true. That will be disappointing as I prefer HAN to SS .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    booo...

Evil Jr.
    Anymore truth to the rumour? I am starting to get the feeling it is true. That will be disappointing as I prefer HAN to SS .
    Officially official:

Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    Dear 24 Hour Team Participants,

Thanks for all of your support on our mountain bike events over the past 15 years.

Unfortunately the 24 Hours Hot August Nights has been canceled for 2012. Our marketing and time will be concentrated on producing the 15th Anniversary 24 Hours of Summer Solstice. The Hot August Nights was a very successful event with amazing support right up to 2011, and we are going to miss it dearly.

mtbr member
    Officially official:
    That's a shame

OCD
    I wonder if it will ever come back. I keep getting older but my goal was to someday take top step in the tag at the HAN. Three years so close, now it's shut down. 'Tis a sad day.

I Strava Hamburgers

HAN was my favorite event this year....

mtbr member
    Just got the email. That's too bad, I really enjoyed the HAN event. Who knows... maybe it will be back someday!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Officially official:
    Hmm.. so does this mean we will see the master of snooze... the ham fist of the 5mm... Circlip of Narcolepsy semi come out of retirement. To make a 3 man team with Uni Gear and the Spak?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Hmm.. so does this mean we will see the master of snooze... the ham fist of the 5mm... Circlip of Narcolepsy semi come out of retirement. To make a 3 man team with Uni Gear and the Spak?
    Could be tough, the Spak has just entered retirement, last I heard he was heading to mexico with the top down to start his life over again as a bullfighter.

New MTB XC Racer
    I love HAN and always do it Solo. SS I usually do as some form of team.
    I'm crushed as I was waiting to sign up already
    From what I understand its only being deleted for 2012 so they can concentrate on 15th Anniversary SS event....

Cheers,
    Paul

More than a little slow
    Officially official:
    I'm afraid it's my fault. I've missed the last two HANs. Please accept my apologies.
    I will call Chico and cry on the phone, maybe he'll change his mind.

What the hell am I going to do in August now if he doesn't ???? Any ideas?
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    Leadville is in August. That's my choice for next year.

Breck is in August too. That's Peter's choice (and could be mine too if I don't make the lottery for Leadville, since Leadville seems to have dropped the qualifying races for this year).

namagomi
    I'm afraid it's my fault. I've missed the last two HANs. Please accept my apologies.

The same thing you did the last two years?

edit: or are you being sarcastic...?
    Last edited by electrik; 11-04-2011 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member

I think there is a 24 hours of adrenaline in Quebec in August, and another 24 hour in New York state

humber river advocate
    The original study was contentious... yes.

About the "bumps" I thought so also but apparently not, mountain bikers suffer the same problems... They have better upper-body bone density(due to loading from bumps) than roadies, but hip density was still far below the average for athletes like runners and something more akin to the average couch potato and descending. There isn't enough jarring force that way in relation to the aerobic efforts.

I forget her name... she was a 24hr rider who won a few events but had to retire at 32 due to osteoporosis. Hit the weights!
    that's why i dh, trail build... it's like lifting weights.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    that's why i dh, trail build... it's like lifting weights.
    Yeah, strange things happen to your health when your only form of exercise is riding a bicycle. Ne quid nimis, we were warned!

More than a little slow
    The same thing you did the last two years?

edit: or are you being sarcastic...?
    Home renovations !!!
    Not smart enuf to be sarcastic.
    I actually was looking forward to HAN this coming August.
    (Just finished doing my short weight workout btw, TGUs etc.)
    Cheers, Dave

namagomi
    (Just finished doing my short weight workout btw, TGUs etc.)
    Picking these up and eating them is not a weight workout!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I hope it is only 2012. I like that race for the end of my season. It always seems a ittle laid back on the course. Plus by then I have managed to get some riding in. Usually the weather is crappy leading up to SS and I have very few rides. I have friends that can only do HAN so they will be very disappointed. Maybe they will have it opposite years to CTS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Also a 24 hr in New Hampshire mid August. Smaller then HAN but well run. I prefer Albion trails myself but may go back and do Great Glenn in 2012.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately not likely at this point. Numbers have been down despite what a great event this is.

End of your season at the end of August? There's two months of riding left after that and a few good races in there too! Time to extend the season!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Leadville is in August. That's my choice for next year.

Breck is in August too. That's Peter's choice (and could be mine too if I don't make the lottery for Leadville, since Leadville seems to have dropped the qualifying races for this year).
    I think I'm thinking of the CTR
    Cheers, Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0