Horseshoe Marathon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Horseshoe Marathon

Any one else (other than Zandstra) doing this thing??

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am. Keep an eye out for me at the back of the pack!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
    I am. Keep an eye out for me at the back of the pack!
    Good! That's where I'll be!

mtbr member
    I am on the fence only because of another obligation. That being said, I just road the course this morning to assist with mapping and it's a super fun layout. Lots of the Horseshoe Canada Cup course and some great stuff across the road in Copeland Forest. It really is worth checking out if you haven't been to the venue(s) before.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Ah, how things have changed since the first very small marathon race angered all Copeland types...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Ah, how things have changed since the first very small marathon race angered all Copeland types...
    Funny you should mention that as most of it over on that side is on Horseshoe property with some bits of Copeland. That marathon you speak of has hindered the ability to use much more of it due to reasons likely mentioned in many other threads. I will leave it at that...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    mtbmeister, how long do you figure laps are going to be for the average rider?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Funny you should mention that as most of it over on that side is on Horseshoe property with some bits of Copeland. That marathon you speak of has hindered the ability to use much more of it due to reasons likely mentioned in many other threads. I will leave it at that...
    I don't know what you mean. I guess that was before my time.

mtbmeister I saw the pic on twitter of you and Sean....I was out there riding the (unmarked as that time) trails last weekend....hoping I have the right gearing....some of those Copeland climbs were extreme...

mtbr member
    The laps with the start loop are around 30km. There's lots of climbing too with just over 700m per lap. I can post a refreshed map when it's complete. Although Superfly will likely make some edits to it a little bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So the race is under 60km? I thought it was supposed to be 75.

That's a decent amount of climbing, not sure if I should go 32 or 34 up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a 32 up front on a 11-40 10speed cassette....and I struggled on a couple of very steep climbs, but I don't know if those climbs are in the race for sure.

mtbr member
    I will skip this race, but would have liked to at least ride it for fun. Unfortunately I am not quite ready. I still have a lot of pain (ribs) from my 2 crashes at the provincials. Deep breathing is very painful and I am even reconsidering my Ride for Karen (charity ride) this Sunday. I signed up for the 160km, but might do 100km only. 😁

And 700m per lap is A LOT of climbing. Wow, good luck guys, ride safely.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I will skip this race, but would have liked to at least ride it for fun. Unfortunately I am not quite ready. I still have a lot of pain (ribs) from my 2 crashes at the provincials. Deep breathing is very painful and I am even reconsidering my Ride for Karen (charity ride) this Sunday. I signed up for the 160km, but might do 100km only. 😁

And 700m per lap is A LOT of climbing. Wow, good luck guys, ride safely.
    Rest up, and get well sir. We have the 8hr ahead!

mtbr member
    I was up there on the weekend for a wedding on Saturday thinking to myself that I'd rather be riding.
    then sunday woke up to the sound of a steady rain (and a slight buzzing in my head).
    from our vantage point at breakfast I saw some attempt the big grassy hill across from the resort finally dealing with the reality of the situation and pushing their bikes up.
    now I was happy not to be riding.
    congrats to all that came out in those miserable conditions to fight through it
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It was a mess...there were some incredibly fast racers out there, especially given the conditions...me, I was happy to just finish...full race report to follow...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oh man what a disaster, although I did have fun. However, I never want to see that section of off camber trails in copeland ever again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oh man what a disaster, although I did have fun. However, I never want to see that section of off camber trails in copeland ever again!
    technically the off camber stuff wasn't copeland, it was the classic heights of horseshoe trail that sean and glenn hunted out and reopened.

p.s. picked up a couple pockets full of gel and bar wrappers while riding some of the course sections yesterday, I know some would have been accidentally dropped. But wasn't great to see after a race does get access to some sweet Copeland trail and that's the outcome. Hopefully the copeland "gardeners" didn't see to much impact and events can continue to use the trails occasionally.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    p.s. picked up a couple pockets full of gel and bar wrappers while riding some of the course sections yesterday, I know some would have been accidentally dropped. But wasn't great to see after a race does get access to some sweet Copeland trail and that's the outcome. Hopefully the copeland "gardeners" didn't see to much impact and events can continue to use the trails occasionally.
    Sounds like you are saying more numerous than could reasonably be expected from accidental drops. If that's correct, very frustrating that some people refuse to understand how to help their own cause.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Sounds like you are saying more numerous than could reasonably be expected from accidental drops. If that's correct, very frustrating that some people refuse to understand how to help their own cause.
    two handfuls from only 80 racers is more than accidental droppage I think.

It was a great event, the north side of HVR was awesome I loved every meter of it. The south side(resort side) was wall after wall and a huge challenge to just get through. Lots of potential in those heights trails for great events, its private property and the terrain is amazing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    technically the off camber stuff wasn't copeland, it was the classic heights of horseshoe trail that sean and glenn hunted out and reopened.
    Wherever it was, it was a bit of a nightmare for me to get through because a)greasy wet, b) fast rolling tires for dry hardpack and lastly and most important c) no skill

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wherever it was, it was a bit of a nightmare for me to get through because a)greasy wet, b) fast rolling tires for dry hardpack and lastly and most important c) no skill
    Describes me to a tee....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just read your race recap Riot, I think you covered it pretty well.

I noticed you're doing the 8 hour, I plan on doing it as well but I am waiting until Wednesday at midnight to register, been keeping an eye on the weather, if it doesn't say 0% for P.O.P i'm not registering, i'm not risking another rainy race, just don't have it in me after this years crank and the marathon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just read your race recap Riot, I think you covered it pretty well.

I noticed you're doing the 8 hour, I plan on doing it as well but I am waiting until Wednesday at midnight to register, been keeping an eye on the weather, if it doesn't say 0% for P.O.P i'm not registering, i'm not risking another rainy race, just don't have it in me after this years crank and the marathon.
    I understand that 100% robbby. Many times during this race I thought..."Just like Crank!!"....and cursed SuperflySean...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    I LOL'd at the selfie and racer shots.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    The irony of this is I see far more garbage left on trails during non races than after races. But you and I both know some people like to complain about another group no matter what. So considering the amount of crap that gets left on Ontario trails and trail heads by riders I have seen. Races are much better than the average. Funny how no one posts up complaining about all the Nestle type bottles found at just about every trail around.

Reminds me of something earlier in the year. Heard people sniveling about the garbage students leave in their part of town. Yet if you look around those sniveling are just as bad as those they blame.