Homage to Ice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Homage to Ice

mtbr member

Homage to Ice

Does anyone have any updates on the race? conditions out in Mansfield area?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would guess it's pretty snowy right now....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    Does anyone have any updates on the race? conditions out in Mansfield area?
    I drove past here last weekend and not including the dump yesterday, there was little to no snow on the ground there. The ground thawed out a little, so I wouldn't expect this snow to be around long if we get a couple of warm days.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Solo, here is the race info http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_do...al%20Guide.pdf

There could be snow, ice, hard packed dirt, soft mud or general spring conditions.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag
    Solo, here is the race info http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_do...al%20Guide.pdf

There could be snow, ice, hard packed dirt, soft mud or general spring conditions.
    hmm, sounds like your typical season opener. i wish it was the ice breaker, but homage to ice will certainly do it... need to register asap...

Loving Life
    Im looking forward to this one. Last year was great with completely dry conditions and mildly cool. This year im sure will be a little dfferent but should still be a great race

mtbr member
    What SS gear do folks recommend for Homage?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald
    What SS gear do folks recommend for Homage?
    I've done all my racing at Mansfield on a 29er at 32:18 but there are one or two climbs (like Oxygen Debt) that I hafta run sometimes.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Poster Boy says let's do it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homage to Ice-poster_b_2.jpg  

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    Poster Boy says let's do it!
    Awesome.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

sock puppet
    i like the "long socks classic"... ganny....

long socks for me - for sure...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Awesome.
    I second that!!
    High on Life

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I second that!!
    My photo was in a pamphlet for a hockey tournament one year. I felt pretty special.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Evil Jr.
    I second that!!
    Dan showed me those at the Bike Show. He was like "Do you think Jeff will mind?"

Me: "Did he sign a model release? I hear his rates are quite high!"

Dan: "It's all in the fine print..."
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hope to unleash my new ride at the Homage!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda
    Hope to unleash my new ride at the Homage!
    Picture!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Picture!!!
    Still waiting on a few parts, but will be borrowing some from the MF Empire to get her going for the race!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homage to Ice-scarlett.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm in for the 50 kms if I can get one of my bikes in race shape, and if the weather isn't too nasty.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Alittle unsure how this event is going to get pulled off. I was into Dufferin yesterday, and at best most trails are still under 20cm of now pretty hard snow. The kind that +5 degree days do nothing to melt. hardwood sections are obviously better than the pine treed sections. My thoughts, by next weekend there will be very little rideable in dufferin. The snowmobile trail is real good riding right now, but there actually has been snowmobiles on it this weekend.

I remember three years ago, the snow coverage hung on in Dufferin until almost end of April.

Time will tell

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes
    Alittle unsure how this event is going to get pulled off. I was into Dufferin yesterday, and at best most trails are still under 20cm of now pretty hard snow. The kind that +5 degree days do nothing to melt. hardwood sections are obviously better than the pine treed sections. My thoughts, by next weekend there will be very little rideable in dufferin. The snowmobile trail is real good riding right now, but there actually has been snowmobiles on it this weekend.

I remember three years ago, the snow coverage hung on in Dufferin until almost end of April.

Time will tell
    Interesting. The race is coming up fast. Good luck with that folks....

mtbr member
    Conditions sound great.I will be there on my Fatback.
    should be a fun afternoon of riding and bbq(anyone know if there will be a veggie option?)
    FAT since 09.
    Fatties are year round bikes!

rad to the power of sick
    im still too fat to be racing.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Still waiting on a few parts, but will be borrowing some from the MF Empire to get her going for the race!
    White rims! I told you where to save those 60grams!
    I'm sure it will look great.

Evil Jr.
    I think I see Hive cranks too. Interesting...

mtbr member
    A few minutes ago the postman dropped off my new 32t crank. Looks like I'm all out of excuses, so I will be there riding 32-16...

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to opt for Tour of Pelham on Sunday instead, will be good to get some km's on the CX bike prior to P2A.

Hope the conditions are nice up in Mansfield.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Any further updates about trail conditions for this race?

While I would rather do the Homage to Ice, I can't imagine that the trails are going to be rideable if they are like the WCC trails right now.

I may also hit up the Tour of Pelham instead. Have never raced on my cyclo-cross bike yet!

There is also the added bonus of hitting up some wineries on the way home. Mmmmmm, wine.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hey I was out hiking at dufferin county forest main tract, which is just up the road from mansfield....which is 15mins from my house. still 2-3" of snow on the ground ON the previously groomed snowmobile trials, off trail still over 6" in the forest. Ice underneath everything. It's still in the negatives in the evenings and according to the forecast there's some more snow coming this weekend..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeame
    hey I was out hiking at dufferin county forest main tract, which is just up the road from mansfield....which is 15mins from my house. still 2-3" of snow on the ground ON the previously groomed snowmobile trials, off trail still over 6" in the forest. Ice underneath everything. It's still in the negatives in the evenings and according to the forecast there's some more snow coming this weekend..
    Thanks for the info.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    While I would rather do the Homage to Ice, I can't imagine that the trails are going to be rideable
    My understanding is that this race goes whether there is rain, snow, sleet, or sunny wam temperatures with dry conditions. It is, after all, the "Homage to Ice." I figure that if I can race Cyclocross, I can race this. After all, I have freakin'-huge 2.1" Small Block 8s, and if things look bad I can put on the 2.35" Nevegals. These are like three cyclocross tyres side by side!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My understanding is that this race goes whether there is rain, snow, sleet, or sunny wam temperatures with dry conditions. It is, after all, the "Homage to Ice." I figure that if I can race Cyclocross, I can race this. After all, I have freakin'-huge 2.1" Small Block 8s, and if things look bad I can put on the 2.35" Nevegals. These are like three cyclocross tyres side by side!
    I do LOVE my Nevegal tires. I was just thinking that if the snow is too deep and/or soft, I just don't see myself having the energy to plow through it for 50kms no matter what tires I have on
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    awesomeame is correct, any trails up here are easily two weeks from being enjoyable. Thats not the news anyone wants but it reality. Snow coverage is about the same as copeland right now, and people are reporting they were snow shoeing in there on the weekend. You have to remember that outside of the snowmobile and ski trails in the forest there is very little winter use. The Single track has not been packed through out the winter like places people are reporting riding.
    awesomeame, look me up through the HBCC website. Think you were looking for someone awhile back to show you some local trails. ( I dont know how PM's work on here ) .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hbcc?

edit: n/m i found the site
    Last edited by awesomeame; 03-28-2011 at 07:27 PM.

max_29
    i went to Albion HIlls this weekend. A singletrack is a mixture of snow 2-10" deep on north facing slopes and slippery mud on those facing south. same with dbltracks.

i guess a same situation (with probably more snow on a ground) is on Mansfield trails.

mtbr member
    It will be a game day call for me, Im craving trails right now but may find myself riding the big paved ones instead.

mtbr member
    Maybe substance projects could chime in to let us know?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    White rims! I told you where to save those 60grams!
    I'm sure it will look great.
    I went for aesthetics vs weight... but I'll be saving 3grams once I take the stickers off!

mtbr member
    Y'all are nutz!!!!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll
    Y'all are nutz!!!!
    I dunno, I think white rims look pretty sweet but I do question that cassette thingy back there...

mtbr member
    White rims definitely look sweet! I just had a problem paying $10 more per rim for an extra 30g per rim. The question is, will Linda go rigid, or put a squishy fork on it.

Evil Jr.
    Last I heard, there was supposed to be a Niner fork on there but who can tell with a teaser shot like that...

All my faucets is Moen.
    Yeah, I'd like to know what the course plans are. All double track, hill repeats only?
    We've had great success with shoveling trails this winter.
    Looks like fat bike is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Last I heard, there was supposed to be a Niner fork on there but who can tell with a teaser shot like that...
    I've got a Vana White Niner on back order and putting on C's nude one till it comes Would like a squish option for epic riding, ie Lumberjack, but we'll see! I'm just hoping she'll be ready to roll come race day!

GM, are you hommaging?? I'm secretly hoping the Hilton Falls challenge will be postponed for next weekend so I can do both!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Throw these on too white shadow.

Evil Jr.
    GM, are you hommaging?? I'm secretly hoping the Hilton Falls challenge will be postponed for next weekend so I can do both!
    I really want to but if there's ONE person on here that I trust (absolutely) with snow conditions, it's Scott and if he's saying it's going to be a sloppy mess, I'll admit I'm having second thoughts.

(PS, I'm also up to my ears in flagging tape right now and I was keeping this weekend kinda open... )

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

that would look pretty badass but they don't come in 29... still waiting on black TL Rons so mite have to throw on some borrowed tires too

Evil Jr.
    Ashley Barson was running a pair of those badboys for part of last season on her Scott. They look kinda silly but they're definitely eye-catching.

Loving Life
    Ashley Barson was running a pair of those badboys for part of last season on her Scott. They look kinda silly but they're definitely eye-catching.
    I'm riding that bike now and got it from her sans white tires. They're not to bad for a girl racer, but I could't do it. I don't mind throwing white on a bike everywhere else but the tires need to stay black. At least when they're mtb tires, cx and road a a little more subtle due to the smaller size

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I really want to but if there's ONE person on here that I trust (absolutely) with snow conditions, it's Scott and if he's saying it's going to be a sloppy mess, I'll admit I'm having second thoughts.

(PS, I'm also up to my ears in flagging tape right now and I was keeping this weekend kinda open... )

If it's a gongshow, wanna do that 100 superhilly route you were telling me about??

Evil Jr.
    If it's a gongshow, wanna do that 100 superhilly route you were telling me about??
    If it's a total disaster, we were actually considering taking the rail trail from our house, to the Grand river (Brantford? Paris? Beyond?) and back.

(Saturday, we'll likely be riding out and about in Elmira after we stuff our faces at the Maple Syrup Festival! )

mtbr member
    that would look pretty badass but they don't come in 29... still waiting on black TL Rons so mite have to throw on some borrowed tires too
    Solutions has 29x2.25 Tubeless Ready Rons in stock, for anybody lookin'.

mtbr member
    Flipping a coin on Sunday morning is where I'm at at this point.

Loving Life
    I'll probably be there regardless, at least it's supposed to be warm

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

(Saturday, we'll likely be riding out and about in Elmira after we stuff our faces at the Maple Syrup Festival! )
    Had a brew at a pub here. Brewed with Maple Syrup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev
    I'll probably be there regardless, at least it's supposed to be warm
    I have registered and will be there. When I registered, it was called the "Homage to Ice." I'm only going to complain if it's all mud, no snow. I'm no macho man, but when I'm telling my grandchildren about how badass we all were back in the day, I plan to tell them how we rode the Homage to Ice no matter what the conditions.

Also, skipping this race on account of snow, slush, or other foul conditions pretty much disqualifies me from ever looking down my nose at SoCal riders and telling them how tough we Yorkshire--I mean Ontario--riders have it...

Evil Jr.
    I'm no macho man, but when I'm telling my grandchildren about how badass we all were back in the day, I plan to tell them how we rode the Homage to Ice no matter what the conditions.
    Been there, trudged that! I've got nothing left to prove.

I just found out that I have a date with a GPS on Sunday so I think I'm out but I'm sure the rest of you will have a good time. Dan does good work. He'll make things fun, no doubt!

mtbr member
    Been there, trudged that! I've got nothing left to prove.
    I thought I had nothing left to prove, but I've been told that MTB is not CX. It seems I have to learn to ride everything now. Smoothly dismounting, shouldering the bike, and running up a hill is dishonorable even if you can run the climb faster than everybody else sitting down in the spin cycle.

Also, there's this weird self-reliance thing. It seems you can't simply trade a broken bike in at the pits for another, you have to fix your own problems.

So... Although I've ridden in really bad conditions, it seems that there are challenges remaining for me, and I should not take it for granted that I can ride the Homage to Ice in good style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    Flipping a coin on Sunday morning is where I'm at at this point.
    solo, I just asked my 8 ball what you should do, "my reply is no" but that's the 8 ball, you know where I stand.

Evil Jr.
    Bah, let "people" think what they may. Do it for yourself!

I will say, as an avid CX mid-packer, the MAJOR difference between a brutal 'cross race and a brutal half-marathon is that the suffering can go on for 3+ hours as opposed to just one. Eat well and keep those spirits up!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Yeah, I'm bummed about the crappy conditions but I'm registered so I guess I'll go.

If the double track is packed and rideable there is certainly enough of that to make it a fun race. Maybe he can get a good 12.5k going and we can do 4 laps. Being that I helped organize a few winter races I understand that you don't know what you'll get until race day. Fingers crossed!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Being that I helped organize a few winter races I understand that you don't know what you'll get until race day. Fingers crossed!
    Too true. Could be perfect!
    G'luck all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had a few hrs to kill so I went for a quick 1hr in and out hike up at dufferin. took some pics of what things look like

previously groomed trails:

http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1525.jpg
    http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1530.jpg
    http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1538.jpg

ungroomed trails look like so:

http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1557.jpg

and of course some beautiful views i got to see along the way

http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1542.jpg
    http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1558.jpg
    http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1601.jpg

It's pretty slussy/slippery, but I'd imagine the snow will be near gone by sunday and it'll all be MUD

Matt

mtbr member
    sorry, duplicate post
    Last edited by raganwald; 03-31-2011 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    It's pretty slussy/slippery, but I'd imagine the snow will be near gone by sunday and it'll all be MUD
    Perfect! This could be a great antidote to all the thoughts of boring race courses with wide ails and skinny-tire friendly smooth surfaces. Thanks for sharing the pix!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a few hrs to kill so I went for a quick 1hr in and out hike up at dufferin. took some pics of what things look like

previously groomed trails:

http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1525.jpg
    http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1530.jpg
    http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1538.jpg

ungroomed trails look like so:

http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10331-1557.jpg

and of course some beautiful views i got to see along the way

Matt

Thanks for the pics.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Y'all are nutz!!!!
    your just a pansie (that wears sausage suits)
    unfortunately I've got prior commitments or i'd be joining friends for this one.

anybody heading north on airport give me a honk when you pass the fire hall at hwy #9

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash
    your just a pansie (that wears sausage suits)
    unfortunately I've got prior commitments or i'd be joining friends for this one.

anybody heading north on airport give me a honk when you pass the fire hall at hwy #9
    is it ok to drop by for a brew after the race???

mtbr member

Matt
    is that garbage at the dufferin forest parking lot off airport/

sock puppet

you gotta speak with your

Quote Originally Posted by swabag
    solo, I just asked my 8 ball what you should do, "my reply is no" but that's the 8 ball, you know where I stand.
    second ball.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash
    is that garbage at the dufferin forest parking lot off airport/
    if you went to the dufferin main tract, (yes on airport) and took the main trail north to 20th sideroad, it was all along that route. and that's not even all of it. around the parking lot area there's all kinds of trash. much easier to drive it into the bush than drop it at the curb....??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    is it ok to drop by for a brew after the race???
    no beer at the hall. they're very strict about that.
    i'd say drop in for a coffee but we should be out of there by then.

mtbr member
    I think I might pass on this race. I am ready fitness wise, but I get no pleasure out of riding in that kind of mud for 50km.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    That some fine scouting there. Those pictures do tell a story!

mtbr member
    Someone join me at the Tour of Pelham!

sock puppet

ok, talk to me...

is this race better suited or cross bike or mountain bike???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    is [The Tour of Pelham] better suited or cross bike or mountain bike???
    7 km paved roads
    2 km farm lanes
    12 km seasonal roads
    7 km single track
    7 km gravel/dirt roads

By my eye, you could probably do it on a road bike. But it's April 3rd... Unless you're really hungry for podiums, you'll have fun no matter what you pick.

All my faucets is Moen.
    After complaints regarding trail damage in the past, the organizer has removed most of the single track in the race for this year. There is just one small section because there is really no other option.

So its more like 1km single track. But I think the seasonal roads keep the road bike from being an option. I recommend a cross bike with higher pressure (50-60 psi).

Just an update on the Tour of Pelham course. We will be beginning at the bottom of Hydro Hill (make sure you warm up!) and headin across the top to Merritville Highway along Decew and out towards Sulphur Springs.

All singletrack has been taken out except a short piece back to Brock (2-Bridge Trail) which we will be doing some trail work on with OPG. There is no safe alternative to return to the start, that's why it is in.

This doesn't mean that the course will not have some challenging sections like McSherry's Lane and the Mathias farm, plus a few more surprises.

Remember all proceeds will be donated to the Cdn Red Cross Japan/Tsunami relief fund, so lets get out for a great cause and a tough day on the bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you have space for me and my bike I'd take you up on this if you're driving.

Over the bars...
    Danged, I just came out of MTB hibernation and realised this was this weekend. I was up there last weekend and on-call this weekend. So would have swapped...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hot off the press taken not even two hours ago

http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10402-1952.jpg
    http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10402-1953.jpg
    http://www.execulink.com/~wscholtes/...10402-1954.jpg

markers are up, & snow is all off the trails for the most part, now the remaining about 2" of ice is left. it's hard, icy, and slippery now in the evening, it'll be a slussy mess with tomorrow's 11*C! good luck

mtbr member
    markers are up, & snow is all off the trails for the most part, now the remaining about 2" of ice is left. it's hard, icy, and slippery now in the evening, it'll be a slussy mess with tomorrow's 11*C! good luck
    Thanks. It is the Homage to Ice. Like me, I'm sure everyone who would even think about doing a race the first weekend of April is looking forward to the struggle and the triumph. That's the whole spirit of the Spring Classics on the road in Europe, it's the spirit of Paris-Roubaix, and it will be the spirit of the Homage to Ice tomorrow.

Everyone going up tomorrow, I look forward to seeing you there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks. It is the Homage to Ice. !
    yep, it's got the proper name for sure!!

does anyone use studs on bicycles? is such a thing even available? (just wondering) i studded my tires when i rode motocross events in poorer weather years ago, and living wayyy up North everyone's cars had them as well

mtbr member
    Studded tires are NOT allowed at this event!
    FAT since 09.

All my faucets is Moen.
    does anyone use studs on bicycles? is such a thing even available? (just wondering)
    Yes they do exist. Many of our club members use them all winter long.
    http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...d_tires/spikes

mtbr member
    Yes they do exist. Many of our club members use them all winter long.
    Where do you ride? Studded tyres kill tree roots, so they're discouraged or outright prohibited in many locations, including the Mohawk Agreement Forest, this event, and so on.

mtbr member
    Thanks again awesomeame for the pictures. I think I made the right decision to skip this race.

Yeah, I know, I should HTFU.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Thanks again awesomeame for the pictures. I think I made the right decision to skip this race.

Yeah, I know, I should HTFU.
    Too bad, too bad. Good temperatures, fun crowd. No, it wasn't hard and fast dirt, but then again it's April 3rd. I'd say everyone ought to do it once, it's not like you are going to get hypothermia or anything, you just ride what you can ride and run or walk what you can't ride.

In the middle of the thing I was cursing myself for poor tyre selection, but then I reminded myself that this is not an Olympic Team selection event, nobody cares if I could ride it faster on a bike with gears or on low pressure tubeless 2.35s instead of medium pressure 2.1s with tubes and sealant.

After I took the pressure off myself, I relaxed and enjoyed it a lot more. No, it isn't what most people think of when you say "XC Race," but it was a unique experience.

One fellow was riding what looked like a Pugsley. Good tyre choice for the snowy bits :-)

bi-winning
    One fellow was riding what looked like a Pugsley. Good tyre choice for the snowy bits :-)
    That was probably BigHustler on his Fatback.

sock puppet
    Anyone else survived?

mtbr member
    That was probably BigHustler on his Fatback.
    I think you're right! He was up with the lead pack as they attacked the first hill, and I saw him again making the turn after the first of two laps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I had a great time and glad the first race is out of the way. It was well organized but you just can't control the weather. Started with a slushy first climb that you had to run most of it. Soon after that some singletrack, "Devil something" and a new singletrack section that Dan made yesterday that was alot of fun. Alot of long fast icy double track and some crazy suicidal slushy steep doubletrack descent. It was as good as an April race could get and I think most people had tons of fun. Great BBQ, awards and draw prizes. I am glad I went and spent a great day with great people (with a bit of suffering in between)

All my faucets is Moen.
    I echo jcr1's sentiments. Such a fun day. Sure some suffering hike a bike but it was good times.
    I only had about 8 OTB's. One was a superman slide down a slushy hill.

And yes it was Big Hustler. We went back and forth for literally the entire race, always staying within a few hundred meters. On the sections you could ride I would catch up and on the slushy areas he would pull away. In the end he beat me by about 20 seconds. Finally the fat tire had an advantage in a race.

mtbr member
    This was my first time at one of Dans races.He did a great job with the trails,riding that section of brand new section single track after the big long climb was a great treat for the day.
    Snow condition were only getting tougher as temp soared to 15* .
    Even with the fatbike sugary granular snow is impossible to ride at times.
    i also had to do a lot of running/pushing(especially the second lap)
    The BBQ at the end was great and they even had veggie burgers,and pasta salad.
    I even won a nice SS Norco travel mug that i will use for my morning tea.
    FAT since 09.

Evil Jr.
    I was thinking about you guys while I was out tromping through my own snowy/icy/mucky mess (so many pine needles down my shorts! ). Glad to hear it was still fun!
    Last edited by garage monster; 04-04-2011 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Some race pictures on flickr: The 25k and the 50k.

namagomi
    ... i studded my tires when i rode motocross events in poorer weather years ago, and living wayyy up North everyone's cars had them as well
    Schwable is one, but Nokian makes really nice ones - including a 2.35" set which is really only for DH! Also don't worry about the various rumors about you actually killing trees, the worst that might happen is you scrap a tree root. It's more about stakeholder infighting(if you're into that stuff). BTW i hope the course didn't get too eroded or somebody owes maintenance time!

bi-winning
    Umm, yeah, I can't resist. Despite not being there, and being about half as fast...

I gotta call out Trev for taking the DNF. No mechanical failure, no physical ailment, just a decision to stop riding....

I've got my eye on you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    don't worry about the various rumors about you actually killing trees, the worst that might happen is you scrap a tree root.
    Let's stick to the actual subject of this thread, that subject is the Homage to Ice in Mansfield. The rules were clear: No spikes or studs were allowed, period. If you want to discuss conservation, we should do so in a separate thread.

Loving Life
    C'mon not Ryan, I think the people who made a call not to show up based on pictures are a little higher up on the chirping ladder, at least i showed up and did a run of the course....although it was probably smart to not show up as the pictures were pretty correct of what the conditions were.

My season this year is a lot more focused on specific races and one that takes place a month before the official start of the season just doesn't justify me going to run a whole nother lap. I got what I needed from the first lap of the race, I'm hoping that Tour of Bronte is mud/rain and not snow

mtbr member
    I got what I needed from the first lap of the race
    I entered and finished the short course race, which was one lap and thus we rode exactly the same thing. Mind you, I could carp that I got up earlier than you did and you could carp that the course might have been a little colder and therefore firmer when I rode it

Either way, good on you (and me!) for showing up and riding.

Evil Jr.
    C'mon not Ryan, I think the people who made a call not to show up based on pictures are a little higher up on the chirping ladder, at least i showed up and did a run of the course....although it was probably smart to not show up as the pictures were pretty correct of what the conditions were.
    I'm just glad to hear it wasn't another Gatorade mechanical! Talk about a sticky situation!

bi-winning
    My season this year is a lot more focused on specific races and one that takes place a month before the official start of the season just doesn't justify me going to run a whole nother lap. I got what I needed from the first lap of the race, I'm hoping that Tour of Bronte is mud/rain and not snow
    Everybody races for different reasons. You have set some goals for yourself, and set a plan to help you achieve them.

I approach bicycles / racing with a much different mentality, and sometimes find it hard to understand the mentality of others. Don't mind me.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Everybody races for different reasons. You have set some goals for yourself, and set a plan to help you achieve them.

I approach bicycles / racing with a much different mentality, and sometimes find it hard to understand the mentality of others. Don't mind me.
    Yep. We race for fun. Elites race for GOALS. It's a different race when you care about winning.

Gotta say, though, Trev, glad to hear you didn't suffer last year's mechanical mayhem!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl
    Yep. We race for fun.
    Being old and past your prime has its advantages!

Loving Life
    Yah that mechanical last year was hilarious, just not at the time. Definitely something that won't happen again!

And yes everyone races/rides for various reasons, to each their own, I was just keeping my goals in mind

mtbr member
    Yep. We race for fun. Elites race for GOALS. It's a different race when you care about winning.
    There are all sorts of goals. One of mine is to clean every trail in the province, stunts, jumps, everything. I typically go on group rides, so I need to be able to keep up with the grou's pace, and then lower my heart rate when I reach a stunt so that I can ride it smoothly. That requires a certain amount of aerobic fitness, so entering some early season races forces me off the couch and onto the trails.

It's all very similar, it's just the words that change. One person might talk about watts and zones, another might talk about zap taps and pedal kicks...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Tour de Pelham was good fun!! I didn't miss mushy, slushy single track one bit.
    Last edited by racergurl; 04-05-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    High on Life

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    There are all sorts of goals.

One person might talk about watts and zones, another might talk about zap taps and pedal kicks...
    What's a zap tap?

And of course, you're right - there are all sorts of goals. Mine are typically in the "be fit enough to have fun," "don't miss the cut-off and get pulled" and "be back in plenty of time for food" variety.

Evil Jr.
    What's a zap tap?
    Sounds like it might have something to do with "dance pants" and "rockstar kicks".

mtbr member
    What's a zap tap?
    You're probably doing them right now without using that name. It's for mounting an obstacle like a log or a bridge that doesn't have a ramp onto it. Roll towards the bridge, lift the front wheel onto the bridge, then hop the rear wheel onto the top of the bridge without striking the edge.

I know I'm doing the rear wheel lift right when there's a little bunny hop effect and both wheels go into the air and land on top of the bridge together.

And of course, you're right - there are all sorts of goals. Mine are typically in the "be fit enough to have fun," "don't miss the cut-off and get pulled" and "be back in plenty of time for food" variety.
    The "back in plenty of time for food" is critical when there is a small BBQ and lots of hungry riders. You do not want to be "off the back" of the lineup for burgers...

Evil Jr.
    Yep, just different terminology. 'Round our house, that move is called a "quarter punch".

mtbr member
    'Round our house, that move is called a "quarter punch".
    Ok, I'll start the Garage-Leech dictionary. "Punch" is a term I've heard (and seen in videos) being used to describe what you're doing with the pedals. So a Quarter Punch would be a short, sharp action of the pedals, and you could use a Quarter Punch to get the rear wheel up onto the obstacle as seen above, or use it to "Punch Off" a ledge as seen below.

But whatever you call it, these words aren't bicycling, they're just ways we have of talking about bicycling :-)

mtbr member
    Zap Tap? I call it "going over something".

mtbr member
    Zap Tap? I call it "going over something".
    Well, there are a lot of different ways to go over something, so some people like to be more specific from time to time. For example, it's quite easy to hop both wheels onto a low object either using a level lift or a bunny hop. That's different from putting the front wheel up first.

It's also possible to hop to the front wheel such that the front goes on first but the rear is in the air when it lands, so you never have one wheel on the object and the other on the ground. That's another thing again. Or you could do what most of the people I've seen with full suspension do: The front goes up onto the object and the rear strikes the side of the object and rolls up and onto the top over the edge.

And there are even more ways. Sometimes it can be helpful to have a name for something if only so your mind can recognise the difference between a Zap Tap and a Bunny Hop.

But yeah, it's all going over stuff :-)

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Worry less about terminology and ride more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Worry less about terminology and ride more.
    Beware of the False Dilemma... It's perfectly possible to take an analytical approach to bicycle skills AND to get out and ride more

mtbr member
    Pics!

Members who have read this thread: 0