Hmm.. This is interesting...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hmm.. This is interesting...

I suspect that we'll be seeing a lot of large bellies and decline in technical abilities amongst world cup dh racers soon if that trend keeps up.

The End of Flat Pedals at World Cup Downhills? - Pinkbike

On unrelated subject, here are some fine examples of wild fungi I saw last weekend at Hilton Falls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hmm..  This is interesting...-img-20120929-00283.jpg  

Hmm..  This is interesting...-img-20120929-00285.jpg  

Lemmy Rules!
    "You must spread some more rep around before giving it to Arek"

Those are some nice mushrooms, though
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    I suspect that we'll be seeing a lot of large bellies and decline in technical abilities amongst world cup dh racers soon if that trend keeps up.
    It was only a matter of time until dhers wanted what I have.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Clearly, it's because world cup DH courses are being sanitized to resemble that place which certain people cry about all the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was going to post that here.

If you listen to the Pinkbike interview with Smith from Interbike he talks about how he gave up on flats and finally saw the light.

Evil Jr.
    There was a great episode of Nature of Things last week where they talked about the secret lives of plants. The interesting relationship between mushrooms and trees figured in the later part of the show.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I was going to post that here.

If you listen to the Pinkbike interview with Smith from Interbike he talks about how he gave up on flats and finally saw the light.
    Wouldn't say he saw the light. Just like alpine ski racing at certain points there are equipment changes that occur that are needed to get an advantage once everyone is pretty much going as fast as they can.

In the end those who see the greatest benefit of clips will be WC racers. The rest of us not so much as we won't get the true benefit of them. It's like me installing race plates under joe averages bindings for the masters slalom at Blue. They won't get the full benefit but they are sure to look cool.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Wouldn't say he saw the light. Just like alpine ski racing at certain points there are equipment changes that occur that are needed to get an advantage once everyone is pretty much going as fast as they can.
    I could see how bindings (vs. just standing on the skis and hoping for the best) would have made a huge difference back in the day!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I dd what you see there.
    brb - putting bindings on my skateboard. will post pictures w/ results.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

In the end those who see the greatest benefit of clips will be WC racers. The rest of us not so much as we won't get the true benefit of them. It's like me installing race plates under joe averages bindings for the masters slalom at Blue. They won't get the full benefit but they are sure to look cool.
    If Joe average is actually racing the masters slalom at Blue race plate are going to up his game. With race plates it's physics. Higher off the ski, earlier angulation means faster turn in and more precision.

Listen to Stevie talk about being able to skim over the top of rock gardens vs plowing through them. Personally I don't ride big plow bikes, I ride short travel AM bikes and hardtails. The ability to stay light on my feet and centred on the bike is a better position. Trying to plow on smaller bikes just beats you up.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    If Joe average is actually racing the masters slalom at Blue race plate are going to up his game. With race plates it's physics. Higher off the ski, earlier angulation means faster turn in and more precision.
    Some what. It's more they won't get the true advantage of say the Ess Var binding with plates as say someone like Jordan Williams or Katrina Tichy. Who know how to get the most out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I could see how bindings (vs. just standing on the skis and hoping for the best) would have made a huge difference back in the day!
    Well, back then we exceeded the equipment it seemed at times.

Lemmy Rules!
    Arek, I warned you about poking the sleeping bear....
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Arek, I warned you about poking the sleeping bear....
    Thank you Buzz Killington.

No. Just No.
    Buzz Killington Part II ;

For 99.9% of riders out there, I think the status quo isn't going to change in the foreseeable future i.e. ride whatever pedal type you want, when you want. Or ride both at different times if it makes you happy.

However, the article is an interesting snapshot of the current climate in top tier DH racing.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    B

However, the article is an interesting snapshot of the current climate in top tier DH racing.
    And considering how young DH mtb racing really is as a discipline that will be other innovations in the future. Maybe not in 20 years but we will see it in equipment and so on. Will we see WC racers start using WC DH only clip pedals that use extra strength springs so the riders don't pop out due to the torque they put on them like they do in FIS WC bindings?

And Garage Monster the greatest equipment change in ski racing occurred before the plates.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YkZ2m-O2ftU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No. Just No.
    the greatest equipment change in ski racing occurred before the plates.
    Day-glo ski colours.

What do I win?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Day-glo ski colours.

What do I win?
    Nope.. it was the Rapid Gate which replaced the Nancy Greene era bamboo pole gate. Which created a huge technique change and a rush to master it. Girardelli was one of the first to master it. Until then it was bamboo or the occasional Brackendale Break a Way.

I think the next big change in MTB dH will be the UCI seeing the light and allowing racers to use skin suits again.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 10-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.

humber river advocate

haters going to hate

world cup dh competitors use spd's and this is news... lol by richard cunningham
    mountain bike action all the way...

i agree with enduramil here 100%... all this has played out in sking before...

people ride what ever they want. street bmx, dirt jumpers, trials, freeriders, commuters, kids, uni-cycling, artistic cycling, etc ... so i agree with circlip about riding diversity. i would also throw in my two cents and say it is also about trail diversity...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

GAME ON!
    i'm usually the only one in the group on flats. but i get an extra 72 cool points so who really wins in the end? me.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    i'm usually the only one in the group on flats. but i get an extra 72 cool points so who really wins in the end? me.
    With your extra 72 cool points you are nigh invincible, so I'll take this opportunity to close the thread.

Thanks for posting up the original link Arek (+rep sent). Anyone interested in reviewing hundreds of historical posts in the Eastern Canada forum on this topic can search the post archives, or else expand your options to thousands of posts if you search the entire site.

Members who have read this thread: 0