Hilton Falls today @ 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hilton Falls today @ 3

Anyone been lately...mosqitos a problem yet?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

no, but

I've wondered what hilton falls is like though, as I've never been.

So far (being a newb) I've only been to Mansfield and Albion. What I like about Albion (the singletrack) is it's fairly dry, quite a few twists and turns, some climbs and decents but non too technical, and the track itself is nice and hardpack with only a few roots/rocks.

How does Hilton compare (non the bent rim of course)?

mtbr member

Lots of fun

Cant compare to Albion or Mansfield yet....

As for HF, the main trail is all gravel other than some nice scenery at the falls not much to it. The orange trail (farthest from the parking lot) is a mix of fire road with some single track trails. Lots of roots and rocks, but very ridable (is that a word?) I have heard a few people say..if you havent got lost, you have not found all the trails. As for myself, evrytime I go I find something new to ride. The bent rim trail is also a lot of fun and challenging (to me!!) I have only done the long (eastern) section) My first time I think I walked more than anything...but now..Im getting a lot farther into the trail without stopping...now that I can bunny hop a little better.

Gotta check it out.....

How is Mansfield?

Cheers..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    How is Mansfield?
    Mansfield is dry, sandy, hilly and not very technical. There are a few manufactured stunts that are optional but nothining technical. I like it because the hill climbs are fun and it's easy to get a long ride in there. You can get lost if you don't have someone who knows the trails.

I finally got directions to the good stuff at Hilton Falls and I may check it out this weekend.

I've been told Albion Hills is a lot like Durham Forest. Descriptions of the riding there also tend to reinforce this perception. I like riding at Durham and I don't think Albion would offer a different experience so why bother paying for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I rode Hilton last night

The Hilton trails are a technical riders dream.....if you can find those trails. You will find off-shoots off the main trail everywhere. Just pick one and go for it! Get a map which shows many of the trails. Plus it is handy to have if you get lost.

I was at Hilton last night and the rocks were very slick from the rain the night before. They should be okay today or tomorrow.

Have fun!

Oh and about the mosquitos....they were pretty bad when you stop riding...just keep moving and put on the repellent!
    Last edited by sperky; 06-11-2004 at 08:22 AM. Reason: mosquito update

Apr 2004

Listen! Hilton Falls each time different ride.

I am going to Hilton Falls atleast 2 times a month and each time I'm there I find new conditions. This spring I was there when the snow was melting some of the trails were full of water, one just runed into a river and so much melting snow around.Did I say mud everywhere? . I was glad when in May where not that many muddy sections. Perhaps some of you like mud but I prefer clean fast ride. The last time I was there it was last sunday around 5pm. Park was almost EMPTY, I just seen 1 rider on trails.And this time I found more new trails that I haven't discovered before. I bet most of you know the technical trail just accross the FALLS. ( when you at the falls, move 50meters north the river you will see the bridge. The trail starts just accross that bridge.) I fell there twice on the rocks with my shoes still clipped in that hurst until today,lots of focks, and slippery, curly trail some water and swamp crossing. Well I never got there before so I found out it very interesting trail ( it was marked orange). I approached it from the north. I never used Hilton Falls maps. I have compas and have to make sure to leave the areas before it's dark. There were so many mosquitos but what (sperky) said when you move they won't catch you. I might go there tonight ( friday ) around 7:00pm to check the trails out . See ya there.
    Jacek

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Technical...

Still haven't road HF, but I checked out Terra Cotta this weekend (close to my house) and due to the large # of roots/rocks on the non-gravel trails, I guess it's technical (meaning my hardtail was bounced around a lot).

I find it interesting that people use the term "technical" when there is lot's of bumpy terain to drive over, but a "smooth" dirt xcountry trail filled with steeps (ups and downs) as well as switchbacks isn't quite technical. I guess one is a matter of balance and the other endurance...I don't know?

My vote is for non-technical, as I think the bike will hold up longer and I get a better workout...either way though it's better than hanging out with my wifes family (had to, it was a long "family" day yesterday).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    hey noonie.....if you come up to collingwood and wanna check out some areas with another newbie then give me a shout.
    got cleared to return to work at least for a coiuple of weeks,,,,and wanna ride alot in case the dr trys to ruin july for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

may do that

Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    hey noonie.....if you come up to collingwood and wanna check out some areas with another newbie then give me a shout.
    got cleared to return to work at least for a coiuple of weeks,,,,and wanna ride alot in case the dr trys to ruin july for me.
    Thanks Skihillguy...I'm doubting I will have the bike with me though (not enough room in the car), but I will probably go up there in August for biking, so I will send you a message or post somewhere here if I do.

Cheers.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Have you tried Forks of the credit

Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Still haven't road HF, but I checked out Terra Cotta this weekend (close to my house) and due to the large # of roots/rocks on the non-gravel trails, I guess it's technical (meaning my hardtail was bounced around a lot).

I find it interesting that people use the term "technical" when there is lot's of bumpy terain to drive over, but a "smooth" dirt xcountry trail filled with steeps (ups and downs) as well as switchbacks isn't quite technical. I guess one is a matter of balance and the other endurance...I don't know?

My vote is for non-technical, as I think the bike will hold up longer and I get a better workout...either way though it's better than hanging out with my wifes family (had to, it was a long "family" day yesterday).
    Loved the hills at terra cotta....went to Forks of the credit prov. park a couple weeks ago...some really nice hills there to, with some nice up and down, fast single track.
    Take the east side of Kettle lake trail then west past the trans canada to a really nice downhill with a couple jumps only been there once but will be back...same day hit the cataract rail trail, my buddy I was riding with took a nasty spill so he wanted to take it easy...nice endurance ride though...made it to Belwood lake then turned around.

Cheers..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

not yet

I've only hiked around the forks with my wife...from what I recall I didn't think there was good singletrack, but maybe I'm thinking of different trails. I may go ahead and try it one night this week.

Obviously won't be at Albion this weekend (24 hours race)...I may try Hilton or go to Mansfield (for the 2nd time).

mtbr member

This weekend

Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    I've only hiked around the forks with my wife...from what I recall I didn't think there was good singletrack, but maybe I'm thinking of different trails. I may go ahead and try it one night this week.

Obviously won't be at Albion this weekend (24 hours race)...I may try Hilton or go to Mansfield (for the 2nd time).
    Hilton Falls this weekend maybe a little busy....

TBN(www.tbn.on.ca) is organizing a group ride there, Im not sure waht kind of numbers they get out but also WOW (wowmtb.com) is putting on a "Roots and Rocks" clinic (Min25people)

I signed up for it, I'll let you know how it is. My girlfriend did the all womens intro course last weekend and had a blast. She is more of a rail trail, leisure rider but now she has some confidence to do some more riding with me (pros and cons I guess)

But just thought Id mention Hilton may be busy...If youre like me, one of the main attractions to the world of mountainbiking is the solitude 'one with nature, young grasshopper....

Anyhow

Cheers

mtbr member

If you don`t like rocks...

and roots, stay clear of Hilton Falls. But if you`re feeling like developing your technical prowess take the fireroad at the main entrance to the falls, then just north of there you`ll find singletrack that crosses the river. Stay to your right and be prepared to give your bones a good rattlin`. A full suspension bike should do well there. I have a HT.

It`s fun as hell and worth a visit even if you have to walk some of it. Ask other bikers on the trail for the location of " Five Bridges " - that should challenge your skills!

BTW... you WILL get lost - it`s a huge forest - but that`s half the fun.

mtbr member
    A couple of us rode Hilton Falls after a day of heavy rain after work tonight. The rain stopped around 1:00 or so this afternoon, the trails were in surprisingly good shape. A couple of "light" muddy spots and some water holes, but came out of an hour long ride with just some minor spacklings of mud. The roots and rocks were really slippery though, had to go slow in the rocky spots and did a little walking in some of the more intense rock gardens. Was glad we went, got a good ride in on a day I thought we wouldn't be able to. Was really impressed with how there were no real boggy sections even though we got a lot of rain today. Very few other riders out tonight, too.