• 01-01-2012
    14Stone
    Help me Misfit Dissent riders.
    I'm only asking here because I know a good bunch of you SS riders ride Dissents, otherwise my next stop is the 29er / SS forums.

I was at Joyride on Friday for a while and met up with a few Dissent riders. We got to talking about the Dissent frame and I was offered a quick 10 min ride on a medium Dissent.

I seriously enjoyed the frame and the way it felt. It eliminated the perched feeling I've felt on other frames so its super appealing to me that way. I would obviously get a frame thats the right size for me but I noticed that every once in a while in a turn I would actually end up striking my foot with the front tire.

Has anyone run into the toe striking issue or is it a frame size thing.

Anyone else ride another 29er and experience the same perched feeling only to have it removed by moving to a Dissent?

Would love some feedback.

Thanks!
  • 01-01-2012
    rockyuphill
    How tall are you? Toe overlap is a common 29er frame size issue if you're riding too small a frame

Were you riding flat pedals at the time and do you know where your foot was on the pedal? (ball of the foot over the spindle or arch of the foot?)
  • 01-01-2012
    14Stone
    6'3"

My foot was pretty much the same as any time I was in clips, possibly 1cm forward then normal.
  • 01-01-2012
    rockyuphill
    A medium is likely two sizes too small for you at 6'-3" you'd likely be looking for an XL, so it would have a much longer wheelbase.
  • 01-01-2012
    Biggie
    I'm 5'11" and ride a large DiSSent. No toe overlap. That's a good way to start a new year with a little bling for yourself...
  • 01-01-2012
    trufflepig
    I'm just shy of 6' and I'm on a L DiSSent and clipped in. Never had an issue toe overlap. I agree with Rocky & Biggie Get yourself a XL DiSSent and look forward to a great new year of riding
  • 01-01-2012
    Nerdgirl
    Yep - flat pedals + too-small frame = toe overlap. You should be fine with a L or XL frame - and you won't lose that in-the-frame feeling.

Check out the mtbr reviews and the Misfit thread for more info. You won't regret it.
  • 01-01-2012
    garage monster
    I'm 5'10" and ride medium diSSents. No overlap on the aluminum frames but I do have a slight toe-buzz on the Fe (Hugh did admit to tweaking the geometry slightly to better match the handmade True North fork that came with the bike, :eek:). :thumbsup:

Compared to any other bike I own (26ers included), nothing gives me the sense of sitting "in" (as opposed to "on") the bike like a diSSent. Welcome to the dark side. ;)
  • 01-01-2012
    tommy
    I'm just under 6'2" and ride a large AL no toe overlap. Love the ride.
  • 01-02-2012
    trufflepig
    [QUOTE=garage monster;8869898]I'm 5'10" and ride medium diSSents. No overlap on the aluminum frames but I do have a slight toe-buzz on the Fe (Hugh did admit to tweaking the geometry slightly to better match the handmade True North fork that came with the bike, :eek:). :thumbsup:

I'm on a L Fe and like I said earlier, I'm just shy of 6' (5'11 3/4"} and haven't cleaned my shoes with a tire yet. Now I'm curious how close I really am
  • 01-02-2012
    14Stone
    Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated. I was really hoping it was just the medium frame and not anything else :)

Now to go see a man about a frame.

Edit: And gals :P
  • 01-02-2012
    Louda
    I'm 5'2 and a half and had tons of people tell me that I would be too small for a 29er. I bought the small ALC last winter and love it! Fits perfectly... being on a big wheeled bike I never felt that I was on a big bike or felt like I was 'perched'. The transition from a 26er to the Misfit was really easy too, ie. cornering and the handling of the bike felt the same.

I'm now on a belt drive ALC and love it! It's a really smooth ride, low maintenance, and it's light! Had some issues with skipping at first but it's all sorted now with the right belt tension.

You'll love your new Misfit!
  • 01-02-2012
    bomber495
    I ride an XL dissent at 6'3. I have never had that issue with mine at all.
  • 01-02-2012
    Unglued
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    I'm 5'2 and a half and had tons of people tell me that I would be too small for a 29er. I bought the small ALC last winter and love it! Fits perfectly... being on a big wheeled bike I never felt that I was on a big bike or felt like I was 'perched'. The transition from a 26er to the Misfit was really easy too, ie. cornering and the handling of the bike felt the same.

I'm now on a belt drive ALC and love it! It's a really smooth ride, low maintenance, and it's light! Had some issues with skipping at first but it's all sorted now with the right belt tension.

You'll love your new Misfit!

FYI Louda is actually 4'11" :D
  • 01-03-2012
    Arek
    6'4" - XL frame. Rode a L demo frame for abouth 2 months first, but I really needed a longer cockpit.
    If you plan on trying an FU bar or any other kind of large back-sweep "alt" bar, I would definitely recommend an XL frame. In fact, after riding with an FU bar for a while (and a 120mm stem), I decided that although I loved the ergonomics for my wrists and hands, I had to ditch it for something a bit straighter (17deg) just so I can get more extension. For the upcoming season, I made another change and now use a practically straight, 9deg. bar (although, I did shorten the stem a bit).
  • 01-03-2012
    14Stone
    I have a CB Iodine bar and a 65mm stem. I haven't tried a sweep back bar yet but i hear good things. I kinda like the setup and don't want to vary much there.

Need to get the wife on board. Currently we're debating if I should sleep on the couch, or possibly in the unheated garage.
  • 01-03-2012
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Need to get the wife on board. Currently we're debating if I should sleep on the couch, or possibly in the unheated garage.

Here's what always works for me: promise to get her one too. ;)
  • 01-03-2012
    Arek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    I have a CB Iodine bar and a 65mm stem. I haven't tried a sweep back bar yet but i hear good things. I kinda like the setup and don't want to vary much there.

With such a short stem and a "normal", straight-ish bar I would def. say go XL. If you have long arms, it should result in a pretty upright position, but there will always be room to stretch out should your preferences change or you'd want to try a bit more "racey" feel.
  • 01-03-2012
    Nerdgirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Here's what always works for me: promise to get her one too. ;)

Yes. This. She'll love it.
  • 01-03-2012
    Slash5
    FYI, I see a large Misfit Dissent on the Toronto Kijiji
    Sounds like good parts but out of my price range - $1600.
  • 01-03-2012
    14Stone
    I have short legs, long torso and gorilla length arms. It obnoxious.

Once MiniStone 2 Shows up, i'm totally building up a Dissent for her!

Brilliant!