Hello all, and a look back- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Hello all, and a look back

If anyone stills remember me, I'm back after an almost 2 months long family reunion in Toronto. My mom, uncles, aunts, cousins came from Hong Kong and US for visit and we had a blast. Already missing them . Anyway, a look back on my first season in mtbiking was awful, tried hard but without much progress. Kinda feel kind Iíve waste a whole season without learning anything. Fortunately, except a bad endo in front of some kids and a few scratches on my leg not much damage was made.
    Couple of questions, do most trails close in mid-October? Also do people here bike 'on trails' in winter, if so, where? (saw those west coast guys on TV still do it in winter).
    Well, and what do you guys in winter?

mtbr member

never a bad time to ride

Hey,

With our wonderful weather...last year I was riding Hilton Falls up to the first big snowfall in Jan. IMO this is the best time to ride(fall to winter) Im not sure of other trails, but Hilton is always open, but once the snow hits it time for the XC skiers to take over the trails>

Cheers

They say I have a problem
    My wife and I ride until the first major snowfall hits. We stick to the Dundas Valley trails, which are close to home for us. As smiley says, the fall and winter is great riding. The temps are perfect and as long as it doesn't get to far below zero it's not too bad. Once you get into the sub-zero stuff you have to be better prepared to deal with it. You will also need a good set of lights to take care of weeknight rides, if you work during the day.

Really, around here you can ride almost 9-10 months out of the year without much trouble. The last 2-3 months is what separates the men from the boys....Me being the boy, I hit the gym once the real winter weather arrives.

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Apr 2004

january/february

you've still got october, november and december to ride. january and february are usually a right off but you can be back on your bike in march.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ski all winter.....and perform volunteer race crew work at one of the private ski clubs.

We're always looking for more volunteers. If you can ski, and enjoy being outdoors setting up race courses and tearing them down at the end of the day and having alot of laughs and making new friends. Well come on out and join us. Oh yes you also get to ski free.....all season long. Only 5 weekends required to fulfill your responsibility

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    I ski all winter.....and perform volunteer race crew work at one of the private ski clubs.

We're always looking for more volunteers. If you can ski, and enjoy being outdoors setting up race courses and tearing them down at the end of the day and having alot of laughs and making new friends. Well come on out and join us. Oh yes you also get to ski free.....all season long. Only 5 weekends required to fulfill your responsibility
    YES! this is the key to enjoying winter in ontario. i patrol at mansfield, it makes the winter fly by and keeps me in pretty good shape. i totally recommend getting on a race crew, patrolling or becomming an instructor.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy

Sounds like fun, what level of a skier are you guys looking for to be a volunteer, and which club (resort)?

T.Dot Represent
    i feel ur pain bro...

i had a much better season last year in my opinion, cuz the weather was better... i barely got out to ride 5 times cuz of the crapy weather and u cant progress at all in 5 rides...im not sayin i didnt have a good time or anythin...

the way i see it is that i worked all summer and i have a very well built u norco now and i have cash to buy a new fork to replace my paperweight DJ3 soo i consider this season as the break in period for next season. in the 05 season im not gunna have a job in the summer soo my entire summer will be dedicated to mtb!!!!!!!

ps i ski in the winter too...screw patrolling though...those kids are annoying lol! id rather ski for pleasure not money
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    i feel ur pain bro...
    ps i ski in the winter too...screw patrolling though...those kids are annoying lol! id rather ski for pleasure not money
    the majority of patrollers don't get paid. get your facts straight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I couldn't agree more.... the kids you work with today could be medalists at the 2010 olympics.

Maybe its time for Finchy to learn that it always good to give back to the community.
    By hius standards working with the worlds best skiers is a pain in the ass. I couldn't disagree more. I find myself to be very lucky to work skiers of all levels from little kids right up to the best in the world on the World cup circuit.

So i think Finchy you ought to look at how you view the world you live in

Members who have read this thread: 0