Hello Again- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hello Again

Looking for Adventure

Hello Again

Hello to everyone after being absent for some time. Lots of new faces, and I see a lot of old timers too. This forum is one of the few places left in the world where intelligent conversation continues with grounded “normal” people having a passion they wish to share. The last decade was a crazy time for me dealing with both parent deaths and one of my best friend. And to make matters worse, I was being lured into the world of roadie “posers”, under a lot of pressure to buy that $10,000+ road bike to become a member of “the club”. But somehow I kept my wits about me and never forgot where my roots lay, to mountain bike on awesome single-track in pristine woods with great people.

I have since joined Durham Mountain Biking Association, an amazing club doing an amazing job keeping our trails alive and mountain biking relevant. The next big project they are undertaking this summer is rebuilding those awesome Dagmar trails from days gone by. Yeh, you heard me, Dagmar is being resurrected like a phoenix from the ashes! Those same trails that Chico Racing cut their teeth on to become a major force in our mountain biking world. Apparently Sean is beside himself and is still pinching himself.

I see we have a new grading system called “reputation”, and mine looks rather sad. I’ve actually been a member since 1998, before mtbr.com moved to a new server and website. So, I guess I have a lot of work ahead of me. Be kind. I have 4 mountain bikes and 2 cyclocross bikes as my dedication to the sport. One of my bikes is still a vintage Rocky Vertex with all original parts. Still love that thing.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Welcome back and welcome to the DMBA. Long time DMBA member here as well. We are all stoked to be getting back into Dagmar after all these years. The plan is to put in about 12km of new mountain bike specific singletrack geared to intermidiate/advanced riders.
    On the one hand I can't wait for the snow to melt away so we can get at it but on the other hand I don't want the snow to go anytime soon so I can continue to have a blast on the Altai Hok skis. Not to mention fat-biking on the singletrack in Durham.
    Anyway looking forward to meeting you Ricksom either in Dagmar building new trail or riding in Durham or EDH.

Mike

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    Welcome back and welcome to the DMBA. Long time DMBA member here as well. We are all stoked to be getting back into Dagmar after all these years. The plan is to put in about 12km of new mountain bike specific singletrack geared to intermidiate/advanced riders.
    On the one hand I can't wait for the snow to melt away so we can get at it but on the other hand I don't want the snow to go anytime soon so I can continue to have a blast on the Altai Hok skis. Not to mention fat-biking on the singletrack in Durham.
    Anyway looking forward to meeting you Ricksom either in Dagmar building new trail or riding in Durham or EDH.

Mike
    Oh yeh, helping to build those Dagmar trails will be putting a very big smile on my face! I had a very dear attachment to those trails and all the races and enduros that made mountain biking a life for me.

Muskoka

Welcome back...

it's been awhile!

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Looking for Adventure
    Did you develop a bum fetish (2nd photo)?

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    Oh yeh, helping to build those Dagmar trails will be putting a very big smile on my face! I had a very dear attachment to those trails and all the races and enduros that made mountain biking a life for me.
    Welcome back, +rep for the old-timer, and +1 re: Dagmar.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr Decade+
    Welcome back. How long since you've been around?
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    it's been awhile!
    That's me, from what feels like a lifetime ago.

Muskoka

Oops!

Got my peeps mixed up! It HAS been awhile lol
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Looking for Adventure
    This is me, going down Boneshaker unexpectedly during an OCup. With shocked face look
    Note bar ends and Marz Bomber shocks for the time.
    Still a newbie with pic posting controls...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello Again-20150304_162140.jpg  

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Welcome back. How long since you've been around?
    Don't really know. You can search my history.

mtbr Decade+
    No need. LoL - you aren't being investigated!

You still rocking 22" handlebars?
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    No need. LoL - you aren't being investigated!

You still rocking 22" handlebars?
    You bet!

You will know me when you see me riding with 26" wheels on a hardtail with an 80mm front shock and a straight longish stem with straight bar. I cut my teeth on a 1999 style mountain bike and still do best on that design fit. I did upgrade to a Scott Scale 10 in the last few years with exactly the same configuration.

One year, I did an impressive lap at the Summer Solstice, and showed my group the machine I rode. 1999 Rocky Vertex with 67mm Marz Bomber shock, Avid Ultimate V brakes, original Race Face cranks, and Syncros stem and post (all original parts). Lots of dangling jaws with deer in headlights eyes....
    It was priceless.

Lemmy Rules!
    Sorry to hear about your losses, and welcome back!

Love the vintage RM's...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Welcome back. Great to hear about Dagmar coming back to life can't wait to hear more about it!
    "By Your Command"

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Oh hai!
    I still occasionally post, but my amount of biking has declined dramatically since having a baby three years ago. Won't be racing anytime soon, but the boy did his first proper pedal strokes by himself a couple of weeks ago, so I'm optimistic. Plus we're out weekly in the summer building trail at Christie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    not sure who you know and what not, but since you stated you been away for a while i'll post this. Dagmar has a bunch of trails build, and maintained by gentleman named Billy and his friends. I'd recommend checking with him as I believe they have an understanding with the land manager, he can be found on riding feels good under username BillGraham

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    not sure who you know and what not, but since you stated you been away for a while i'll post this. Dagmar has a bunch of trails build, and maintained by gentleman named Billy and his friends. I'd recommend checking with him as I believe they have an understanding with the land manager, he can be found on riding feels good under username BillGraham
    Great! Good to know.

Members who have read this thread: 0