Hell of the North (and Heck of the North) 2012- Mtbr.com
    veldrijder

Hell of the North (and Heck of the North) 2012

mtbr member
    Allright. Will sign up for the full distance.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    About 90% sure I will do it.

That's a lot of KM, but good motivation to get some long rides in March.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Have never heard of this race. Looks kinda cool.

mtbr member
    Paris - Roubaix ?????

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    For those who have done it before, how much of it is on technical single track ?

My only point to point experience was the Tour of King last fall, and it was 50k and I found it pretty grueling on my cross bike. I do rides of over 100k quite often but nothing of the length with a lot of technical sections.

I think I would be fine if wasn't long distances of super technical trail.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I am rather interested in this as well, but would rather not completely destroy myself a week before Paris-Ancaster. If any previous participants could offer insight, it would be most appreciated...
    Jouko

mtbr member
    The reason I do this is because it's a week before Paris-Ancaster.

It was supposed to be "training".

Quote Originally Posted by stuart_d View Post
    For those who have done it before, how much of it is on technical single track ?
    Zero.

There were a lot of guys on road bikes with road tires in 2010. There were a few muddy tractor lanes that we mostly just ran anyways. The only other events were crossing a flooded section of rail-trail that was over the axles and a gravelly descent at the end.

But the course has been altered this year, so there may be a *bit* more dirt.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Can anyone help with finding results from last year for this race? I've looked on the real deal racing webpage and the OCA (it's not sanctioned, I suppose) and haven't found anything. Google only brings me to results for the top 10 men.

Just trying to make an educated guess on how long it might take me. I know 30k has been added this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was curious about this as well. I found this :

canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=21418

(not allowed to post proper links yet)

But it only the time for the top folks. I was curious what some of the later folks had got times for.

I guess I am struggling with finding any info on whether this is something that is appropriate for a variety of skill levels. Like if it takes someone 4-5 hours are the somewhat abandoned out on the course ? Is there an expectation of being able to complete it a certain time frame ?

I am in pretty good shape and can sustain pretty good speeds off and on road on my cross bike, but I have watched some of the folks on the list of results in cross races and they are riding machines.

Evil Jr.
    The last time I did it, I ended up about lower mid-pack and IIRC, I didn't get an official time, just my placement. Then again, we didn't have race numbers either.

This can be a tough, lonely event and with the added distance, it's going to be that much harder. The Heck option is nice if you're somewhat unsure of the longer one.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    The last time I did it, I ended up about lower mid-pack and IIRC, I didn't get an official time, just my placement. Then again, we didn't have race numbers either.

This can be a tough, lonely event and with the added distance, it's going to be that much harder. The Heck option is nice if you're somewhat unsure of the longer one.
    Thanks garage monster. This is helpful. So it's not really a race-race, more like a ride-race. I'm just going so I have an excuse to visit friends that live nearby, to check out some new-to-me roads and for a little early season adventure so this jives well with what I'm looking for.

Still can't decide between the two options. I want the fun technical stuff but man, you sure have to earn it with 125km.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Ugh right in my back yard... and a week before P2A.

Hrm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    Thanks garage monster. This is helpful. So it's not really a race-race, more like a ride-race. I'm just going so I have an excuse to visit friends that live nearby, to check out some new-to-me roads and for a little early season adventure so this jives well with what I'm looking for.

Still can't decide between the two options. I want the fun technical stuff but man, you sure have to earn it with 125km.
    I'm really torn about this one as well. A 70 km road ride (it's posted as suitable for a road bike), doesn't seem worth it, even a drive from Hamilton, but throw some dirt roads and other crap in the mix, and that seems like an adventure, but 125 km, yup, that's a solid early april ride. It's that last 25 km that has me worried.

Trying to rope a friend in to keep me company (for a while at least)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Perhaps we could form a bush leagu.. er more amateur contingent that will take up the rear for the 125k distance.

I was thinking the same as CptSydor a 70k road ride, I could do anywhere, but what I really wanted was trail and road, and it sounds like you lose all the trail at that distance.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I'm really torn about this one as well. A 70 km road ride (it's posted as suitable for a road bike), doesn't seem worth it, even a drive from Hamilton, but throw some dirt roads and other crap in the mix, and that seems like an adventure, but 125 km, yup, that's a solid early april ride. It's that last 25 km that has me worried.

Trying to rope a friend in to keep me company (for a while at least)
    Good point, it's definitely too far to drive for a road ride that doesn't involve buttertarts. Enough wish-washing, I'm doing the 125k.

What is the worst that can happen?

(no one answer that, please)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_d
    Perhaps we could form a bush leagu.. er more amateur contingent that will take up the rear for the 125k distance.
    I'm happy to be part of the MTBR Eastern Canada Spring Classics Bush League. We might want a snappier name though.
    Last edited by VVagabond; 03-07-2012 at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Good point, it's definitely too far to drive for a road ride that doesn't involve buttertarts. Enough wish-washing, I'm doing the 125k.

What is the worst that can happen?

(no one answer that, please)

I'm happy to be part of the MTBR Eastern Canada Spring Classics Bush League. We might want a snappier name though.

I was just out for a lunch time stroll, enjoying the nice weather, thinking, yeah, 125 km in this would be enjoyable.

Then I was thinking what a big difference 1.5-2.5 versus 4-5 hours is on days not like.........well, I won't say anymore.

If I just register, I have no choice.

Alright, I'm in.

(Will buttertarts hold up in a jersey pocket?)

Evil Jr.
    Every few days, I think, hey, maybe I'll enter and then I remind myself that it's on Easter Sunday and I'm already double-booked family-wise for the remainder of the weekend after I tear down the barriers on Good Friday.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Jesus and the Easter Bunny would want your to ride.

Lemmy Rules!
    It's too bad I can't swing both this and the Paris to Ancaster. As I can only do one, it really has to be the P2A. I have unfinished business with that race after last year...
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Them, I can handle. It's my Sister and Mom that are the ones that would kill me!

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I really want to be a part of the MTBRECSCBL. However, I somehow forgot to check the calendar and apparently I have family visiting from Finalnd that weekend. I wonder if they would find spectating an enjoyable part of the visit?
    Jouko

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    They also would want you to do the 125. Demanding, aren't they.

I think my ride fuel will be a flask of maple syrup and a chocolate easter bunny.

Unglued, jouko and garage monster... too bad you can't come. Would be more fun to have you there.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    No butter tarts.. no beer tent.. Naw to early in the year for this level of self abuse.

Lemmy Rules!

I think my ride fuel will be a flask of maple syrup and a chocolate easter bunny.

Unglued, jouko and garage monster... too bad you can't come. Would be more fun to have you there.
    Thanks...I'd love to do this one, but with p2a the following weekend and the first ocup the weekend after that, I will be doing a lot of early season riding as it is.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Thanks...I'd love to do this one, but with p2a the following weekend and the first ocup the weekend after that, I will be doing a lot of early season riding as it is.
    First OCUP is two weekends after P2A. Excuse error 404.

veldrijder
    I am really looking forward to the Hell of the North. I still need to hack together my HotN/P-A bike. That is mainly a matter of swapping some cranks and gluing tires. Still a few weeks to go

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Do we need a license for this ride ? When I attempted to sign up, it asked for one. I am getting one but I am still waiting for it to be processed by the OCA.

veldrijder
    You either need to have a license or to purchase a one day ($12). If yours is currently being processed, just wait until you get it. I don't think there's a risk of it selling out before then, but for anyone else who may not yet have applied for their license I wouldn't put it off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

VV, are you still planning on doing this? I am game day decision, as i will be doing the Good Friday Road Race first so depending on how the legs feel. But I may be more encouraged if I have some company!

Was just trying to find previous results to see if there have been any other women out??

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    VV, are you still planning on doing this? I am game day decision, as i will be doing the Good Friday Road Race first so depending on how the legs feel. But I may be more encouraged if I have some company!

Was just trying to find previous results to see if there have been any other women out??
    There have been women there (I think Lori Koffman was there last time I did it and a few others) but not many. You and Ms. Vagabond would do just fine.

veldrijder
    Two women I know will be in attendance this year are Lyne Bessette and Leigh Hobson. I am not sure if that makes you feel better or worse, but they will be there

That's not a W
    Jul 2008

As I said in the email I just sent, I'm still in and you should be too!

Now Louda we must convince the monsters that they do not need to see family on easter, but need to come to Hell instead. I was looking at a calendar the other day and it might not be until June until I see a monster and that made me sad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Two women I know will be in attendance this year are Lyne Bessette and Leigh Hobson. I am not sure if that makes you feel better or worse, but they will be there
    Good to know who will be putting the hurt on in the women's field!

Will there be day of registration? What time does it start?

Evil Jr.
    I was looking at a calendar the other day and it might not be until June until I see a monster and that made me sad.
    You'll just have to get by on pics until then!

veldrijder
    Good to know who will be putting the hurt on in the women's field!

Will there be day of registration? What time does it start?
    Day of will be available as long as the cap of 200 participants is not reached. Hell starts at 8:30 sharp, so get there early.

mtbr member
    Moote, feed station question: Is anything provided as per P2A, or is it just a place we can pre-drop our own stuff. If it turns into a warm day 4 hours is approaching my water-carrying load limit.

Some improvement in for the forecast. I'm not sure if HOTN is subject to the same weatherman trollery as P2A.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Moote, feed station question: Is anything provided as per P2A, or is it just a place we can pre-drop our own stuff. If it turns into a warm day 4 hours is approaching my water-carrying load limit.

Some improvement in for the forecast. I'm not sure if HOTN is subject to the same weatherman trollery as P2A.
    This post on the Realdeal website says there is a neutral feedzone.

Real Deal Racing – HELL Start time is 9am – HECK is 9:30am

Looking to be a great day of riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What tires are folks running for this ? I am going to use my 31mm panaracer cross blasters mostly because I don't have anything narrower that isn't a road tire.

What are people aiming for time wise ? I am hoping for five hours.

mtbr member
    Half-worn-out Vittoria XN clinchers, with tubes. Unlike P2A, I'm gonna be up past the pressures where tubeless is a good idea.

So neutral feed means... they have water...?

mtbr member
    What tires are folks running for this ? I am going to use my 31mm panaracer cross blasters mostly because I don't have anything narrower that isn't a road tire.

What are people aiming for time wise ? I am hoping for five hours.
    Using my 35mm Rocket Rons, cause that is what I got on my cross bike. At 65-70 PSI, they roll pretty good.

Time wise, I am not sure what the ratio of hard to soft surface is, but sounds like large portions of road, dirt road and rail trail. I imagine the top guys should be averaging speeds around 35 km/hr if the mix is anything like P2A or better.

Not sure what I am planning for time. I am not treating this like a race, but a training ride with Chilli afterwards. VVagabond has graciously offered to pull me the entire way, so whatever her time is, if I can keep up.

As for time, whatever gets me to the table afterwards before all the food is gone. But with a descent pack working together, I think under 4.5 should be doable.

mtbr member
    I'm figuring double your P2A time for an estimate.

More than twice as far, but also way more pavement.

mtbr member
    Half-worn-out Vittoria XN clinchers, with tubes. Unlike P2A, I'm gonna be up past the pressures where tubeless is a good idea.

So neutral feed means... they have water...?

I hope so. if not, I'll be knocking on some doors looking for refreshments.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Darn, I would really like to do this race, but Easter Sunday family dinner (with the kids back home for the weekend) foils my Sunday options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Does anybody know if the one day license can be purchased the day of or is it only offered online?

Second question is when does the online registration end? (edit, April 7th )

veldrijder
    I will try to answer all questions to the best of my ability:

There is a neutral feed, but I have no idea what it entails. I can only assume water as a bare minimum. I don't plan to stop, and might have "alternate" arrangements for a feed

For tires, definitely not road tires but it's less off-roadish than P-A. 32 mm with a light diamond tread is appropriate. Since I am lazy, I'll be running the file tread tubulars I have ready to go with a bit of sealant inside. Don't go too high on pressure or you'll be running a lot negating any advantage of having the cross bike/tires in the first place.

One day licenses are available at registration either online or day-of. Online registration ends Saturday at noon and day-of is $10 more.

For finish times, what people have said is pretty accurate. In terms of group dynamics it differs a bit from P-A in the sense that it is smaller and not a continuous string of riders for the first 10+ km so "making the group" will be more important. On the other hand, it is more like a road race where you'll be able to sit in for some sections, with selections being made on critical sectors off road as well as anytime guys decide to light it up at the front. I assume it'll be something like a small break/lead group of 15 or less, a main pack and then various smaller groups collecting as people get dropped.

veldrijder
    Time wise, I am not sure what the ratio of hard to soft surface is, but sounds like large portions of road, dirt road and rail trail. I imagine the top guys should be averaging speeds around 35 km/hr if the mix is anything like P2A or better.
    I think much higher ratio of hard to soft surface. As for the speed at the pointy end of the race, there are some pretty big names on the start list. It's going to be FAST

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    VVagabond has graciously offered to pull me the entire way, so whatever her time is, if I can keep up.
    What can I say, I am one generous lady.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Another important question, will there be vegetarian chili ?

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Another important question, will there be vegetarian chili ?
    I just heard from a friend that there has been veggie chili in the past. I'll probably bring something just in case but I think we'll be okay.

I also heard interesting stories about the trench. Sounds like a very tough section if it's wet. Maybe we'll be lucky and it will be dry with the extra warm spring we've had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just heard from a friend that there has been veggie chili in the past. I'll probably bring something just in case but I think we'll be okay.

I also heard interesting stories about the trench. Sounds like a very tough section if it's wet. Maybe we'll be lucky and it will be dry with the extra warm spring we've had.
    Excellent, perhaps we can form a vegetarian peloton.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Excellent, perhaps we can form a vegetarian peloton.
    Ha, good idea. I'll be in a green Tall Tree Cycles kit at the back.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I raced this the first year they had it and the trench was completely dry. It was also an especially wet year in 2009, 2012 not so much so it should be fine.

Not sure if the course is the same but the first off road section is the worst. It was about 1500m of nearly unrideable snow/mud/8" water as seen @1:14 of the video linked. The trench is shown @1:52.

Anyway good luck to everyone racing and remember, when you’re at km 120, riding alone, exhausted and cramping with a strong head wind in your face….you actually paid to do this.
    HELL OF THE NORTH - LaBicisquadra/RealDeal Racing - 2009 - YouTube

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    I raced this the first year they had it and the trench was completely dry. It was also an especially wet year in 2009, 2012 not so much so it should be fine.

Not sure if the course is the same but the first off road section is the worst. It was about 1500m of nearly unrideable snow/mud/8" water as seen @1:14 of the video linked. The trench is shown @1:52.

Anyway good luck to everyone racing and remember, when you’re at km 120, riding alone, exhausted and cramping with a strong head wind in your face….you actually paid to do this.
    Thanks for the tips and the video, thedumbopinion. Very helpful. That swamp looks unappealing.

The last line pretty much sums up how I figure it will turn out for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Long mtb ride on Sat and Easter brunch followed by egg hunt prevails so I'm out! Have fun and looking forward to hearing race recaps!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post

HELL OF THE NORTH - LaBicisquadra/RealDeal Racing - 2009 - YouTube

That looks like fun. Next year....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Still on the fence about doing Heck. I just can't decide

Does anybody know how many people have registered?

mtbr member
    Thanks to Moote for the internet-kick-in-the-ass to get me to do this and Ed and the boys for putting the whole thing together.

I got dropped like a silent vowel in the trench, but pulled it together afterwards and finished better than expected.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I definitely ended up finishing near the very back, I think there was only a few others behind me. I ended up doing it 5 hours and 20 minutes.

VVagabond, I think I was behind you for maybe the first 1 and a bit of the race, but in the first few off roads I lost the group. I did like 90% of the race solo which was punishing.

Near the end I was getting wavered by some pretty strong cross winds.

I also hate gravel and 2nd concession road and the hills that live on it.

mtbr member
    Stuart_d, what clothing were you wearing, just curious?

Race report.

Hell, check

North (at least from Hamilton), check.

That is all. Okay, I don't shut up that easy.

Big kudos to everyone who went out and rode. This was not an easy day on the bike. I'm sure both the top finishers and those riding in at the end felt it equally, some just went faster.

Also big Kudos to VVagabond. Very impressed, extremely strong rider overall, not to mention showed every rider around her how to handle a cross bike off-road, with slick 32mm touring tires. She did have to dip into that suitcase of courage near the end, then again, we all did.

It was all tough, but one thing I'll remember regarding the epic 'rail trail section' (which was no where close to being as smooth as what we have around here).

Me: This rail trail is really killing our average speed.
    VVagabond: This rail trail is killing my soul.

That about sums of the day, character building.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was in an orange Lapdogs jersey. This was me before the race, all full of optimism :

mtbr member
    I was in an orange Lapdogs jersey. This was me before the race, all full of optimism :
    Definitely recognize you. I was in the Red/White/Blue Hamilton Cycling Club kit trying to stay ahead of VVagabond.

Sucks you had to ride solo for most of the race, that is, well lets say character building.

and don't feel bad, VVagabond dropped all the boys in the trails

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    She did have to dip into that suitcase of courage near the end, then again, we all did.
    This is CptSydor's polite way of saying I cracked and wanted to die with about 30 hilly k's to go.

What a ride. Very tough day in the saddle. Super course. Really impressive organization. Volunteers were driving by often handing out water and power aid. Great spread of food at the end, although for the record - no veggie chili. I couldn't have eaten it anyway.. It was a few hours before I could take in solid calories.

stuart - too bad we couldn't have all stayed together longer. We had pretty good group going for a short while. You should have at least said hello

In summary, Hell of the North kicked my butt properly and big thanks to the Cpt; I shudder even imagining how much longer, harder and less fun my day would have been on my own.

Evil Jr.
    Glad to hear all went well, if maybe a little soul-destroying. We were watching the wind coming back from up North (and rain around Parry Sound, ) hoping that things weren't too miserable out there.

Here's hoping for a non-Easter Sunday date for next year!

mtbr member

No. Just No.
    Top 20 Results and Pics
    Hey, you finished in front of a former national road champ. That's not all bad. From your account of losing a sprint for places to someone on a mountain bike, you didn't give it much upside!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Hey, you finished in front of a former national road champ.
    And another guy who's represented Canada at Marathon Worlds...

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    And another guy who's represented Canada at Marathon Worlds...
    So many clues! I want to try and guess who ghettocruiser is now. So he's at least 13th. Did he beat MTBREC's resident World Cup XC phenom?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hmmmm....I know who he is!
    He finished a few places behind a former multitime Ontario CX champ, who also happens to be a former co-worker.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Hmmmm....I know who he is!
    He finished a few places behind a former multitime Ontario CX champ, who also happens to be a former co-worker.
    Darn, I don't know the big cx names unfortunately. Did he beat last year's HotN winner?

Sure hope ghettocruiser doesn't mind this game. You'd think I'd learned my lesson after revealing swabag without his consent. Speaking of swabag - did he beat him?

mtbr member
    Darn, I don't know the big cx names unfortunately. Did he beat last year's HotN winner?

Sure hope ghettocruiser doesn't mind this game. You'd think I'd learned my lesson after revealing swabag without his consent. Speaking of swabag - did he beat him?
    Remember he said he got beat in a sprint.

mtbr member
    Not to mention, at the awards ceremony they mentioned when the first MTB came in.

Not sure how I was conscious for that.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Not to mention, at the awards ceremony they mentioned when the first MTB came in.

Not sure how I was conscious for that.
    These are good hints. I didn't hear when the first mtb came in but I am guessing he was in the third sprint because I think a mtb coming in the top 5 would have been asking a bit much.

Great result ghettocrusier and sorry if you wanted to be a secret around here but I am going to defer any blame to Circlip, he started it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I forgive, im sure no one was paying attention anyway.

I have my guess but ill keep it to myself

there are at least 2 possibly 3 multiple provincials cx champs in the top ten so that didnt narrow it down much.

mtbr member
    Busted, my enigmatic username has fooled no one.

Of course, I also have a link in my sig file to a strava page with my name on it.

Best race in 6 years for me, although some of those guys must have been having their worst race in 6 years to end up behind me. I'm wondering how many flat tires Garrigan must have had.

We'll see if any of these delusions of early-season form transfer over to P2A, or if I get ejected off the back on that first hill again.

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Of course, I also have a link in my sig file to a strava page with my name on it.
    Good thing I didn't notice this, it would have totally wrecked the game.

mtbr member
    Speaking of swabag - did he beat him?
    (I just ID'd swabag from gc)

No. Of course not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    As an interested observer of you on Strava (as an aside, please stop taking my KOMs), I suggest that you will be doing very well in P2A. Your form is very good for so early in the year.

Wish I could have been out for Hell of the North (and the coming P2A). Next year....

We'll see if any of these delusions of early-season form transfer over to P2A, or if I get ejected off the back on that first hill again.

No. Just No.
    If this past weekend is anything to go by, all you have to do is hold Anton V's wheel and you should be OK! Geez, nice weekend double from him. Hammond or no Hammond, it seems reasonable to say that he looks to be ready to do some damage at P2A, assuming he is racing.

veldrijder
    Anton is racing at the Battenkill Pro RR, and will not be at Paris-Ancaster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    As an interested observer of you on Strava (as an aside, please stop taking my KOMs),
    Once the summer gets here, I suspect many of those segments will quickly revert to their original owner.

Have to replace the KOMs that veteran_youth so effortlessly relieved me of. Most of which I thought were quite secure.

Thanks for the confident words for P2A... Must not crack on the loose gravel hill.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Anton is racing at the Battenkill Pro RR, and will not be at Paris-Ancaster.
    Good for him. Go-go (former?) mountain biker dude.

Evil Jr.
    Busted, my enigmatic username has fooled no one.

Best race in 6 years for me, although some of those guys must have been having their worst race in 6 years to end up behind me. I'm wondering how many flat tires Garrigan must have had.

Oh my, so much modesty!

Members who have read this thread: 0