Hardwood Hills today [o]- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

Hardwood Hills today [o]

What... you expected biking? (-; I'm sure some of you will enjoy pics of Hardwood Hills in winter trim. Two weeks to the day after my last trail ride and we are on
    the skinny skis (-8. Would have been even sooner, but something called work got in the way. I grabbed the P&S camera, and of course later wished I had taken the DSLR.
    Maybe I don't get out enough but I could not help notice the many fit young females in ski tights on the trails today, often in groups (sorry-no pics of that).
    Take up xc-skiing you guys!! I understand now why it's called Hardwood Hills!! But I digress....

Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-22-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Singlespeed Mysty
    once these puppies are old enough, I will definately love to try that!

I've never been... is it hard?
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    once these puppies are old enough, I will definately love to try that!

I've never been... is it hard?
    There is a substantial learning curve to becoming a skilled xc skier. More so if you have never ever skied. I started skiing as a child, half a century ago An old saying was "if you can walk, then you can xc ski" which in truth should be "if you can walk, then you can walk on xc skis". And you do see lots of shufflers - people that are really doing nothing much more than walking on skis. They would be better of on snow shoes. But learning can be a fun experience.The best advice I could give is to take some lessons, and also to buy good equipment.The secret to skiing of any kind is learning to balance on one (moving) ski, and then weight transfer from ski to ski.
    Nordic ski equipment has progressed so much in the past decade, and then you have the option of classic and skate techniques. I love xc skiing, and initially took up mountain biking just to maintain a fitness base in the off season. For me nothing really tops a sunny blue sky day, pristine snow landscapes, somewhere -2 to -10 deg C, beautifully groomed trails and a fast pair of skis
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-26-2008 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet pics! I skied there today as well!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmytro
    Sweet pics! I skied there today as well!
    What a great day!! We skied classic technique, since Bonnie doesn't skate. I always melt a layer of soft paraffin on my skate skis and the the tips & tails of my classic skis before putting them away at the end of the season. In the past I have cleaned the grip zone and put down a layer of basebinder and they are then prepped to go, but this spring I got lazy. I did the tips and tails but just left whatever grip wax we finished the season with on the classic skis. So early this morning all I had to do was scrape & brush the tips and tails since soft parrafin is a good glide wax for todays temps. But of course I could no longer remember what the grip wax was from our last ski on March 29th at Horseshoe. Should I take the extra time to clean it up and start anew, or just take a gamble that I'm close to the right grip wax? If I'm way off then I have to fix that out on the trails, which I hate doing. But when the sun is out on a day like today I just want to get going! The wax felt to be about the right hardness, so I took the gamble. The wax turned out to be just perfect, not even a touchup required!
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-22-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Looking for Adventure
    Yup....it was a nice day wasn't it. Glad to see I wasn't the only one classic skiing at Hardwood today. I felt like I was being passed all of the time with all the ski teams around me training on their skate skis. Not that I am slow......but they were crazy fast!

Haven't see Hardwood like that in November.......seemed like an early Feb day.

Great to be on skis again!!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Yup....it was a nice day wasn't it. Glad to see I wasn't the only one classic skiing at Hardwood today. I felt like I was being passed all of the time with all the ski teams around me training on their skate skis. Not that I am slow......but they were crazy fast!

Haven't see Hardwood like that in November.......seemed like an early Feb day.

Great to be on skis again!!
    What did you think of the name changes to the trails? I thought they were rather lame and unimaginative...Nagano, Lillehammer, Salt Lake City, etc. Come on..wonder if in summer they will rename the trail beside the landfill site "Beijing"?? lol. Not that I really care but they could tear a page out of Buckwallow's book and put some thought into it, ie Bad Pitt, Frankly my Deer, I'll be Buck, Showtime, Toadtwister, BearBluff, LoamRider, West D'Nile etc etc.
    The facility upgrades look good even though not complete. I do miss the 2 benches that were always just inside the front door-a good spot to switch boots. The main thing of course is the quality of the grooming, and I'm sure it will continue to be excellent.
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-23-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    What did you think of the name changes to the trails? I thought they were rather lame and unimaginative...Nagano, Lillehammer, Salt Lake City, etc. Come on..wonder if in summer they will rename the trail beside the landfill site "Beijing"?? lol. Not that I really care but they could tear a page out of Buckwallow's book and put some thought into it, ie Bad Pitt, Frankly my Deer, I'll be Buck, Showtime, Toadtwister, BearBluff, LoamRider, West D'Nile etc etc.
    The facility upgrades look good even though not complete. I do miss the 2 benches that were always just inside the front door-a good spot to switch boots. The main thing of course is the quality of the grooming, and I'm sure it will continue to be excellent.
    What's in a name.......
    I am glad they rearranged the trails into a more logical grouping. I usually made up my own routes, but those unfamiliar with the trails would be stuck doing a steep hill and fussing and blocking others from going through.

I know of 2 investment owners (Hardwood is now owned by a group of investors), and there is BIG plans for the place. I am not sure if they can generate the revenues they are dreaming of. They would have to turn Hardwood into a vacation destination, and that would mean the whole sheebang of a full service resort with something scenic other than the "dump". Renovating the inside of those crappy buildings would not be enough.
    But for sure the place will be better than before, and that will be great (except for the price tag).

mtbr member
    Awesome stuff! I am totally aching to hit the ski trails, but we don't have quite enough snow here yet. Getting 15cm more by tomorrow which should do the trick. I managed to make it down to Arrowhead to ski last year, and had a blast. The conditions were perfect and great trails. I'm planning on getting a pair of skate skis to try this year, as well. Are you listening Santa?

mtbr member
    Wow, those are beautiful pictures. Makes me want to take up x-county skiing. Almost.

Last weekend we raced our bikes a the WOW (although it was on snow) and this weekend the ski slopes opened. I skied today (Mount St Louis-Moonstone) since this weekend I was in Quebec City for a wedding. Amazingly Quebec City has no snow whatsoever!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Awesome pics, I have something great to think about at work now.

However, I can't help but think; under all that snow is that ugly sand that chews my drive-train. F#%$ how I hate sand. I am a fan of snow, snow and bikes are a great mix.

Are any of the trails open in there for snow riding?
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipes
    Are any of the trails open in there for snow riding?
    Not in Hardwood, but around here I take my chances on the snowmobile trails. I would recommend riding without headphones and on weekends especially listen for sleds. Some sled operators do not like sharing trails, Multiuse or not.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Wow, those are beautiful pictures. Makes me want to take up x-county skiing. Almost.
    Oh, it's a beautiful thing! I can't promise you'll love it but I'd be surprised if you didn't.

I can hardly wait to get out this year, I only have a couple of months to get ready for the Canadian Ski Marathon!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Having grown up in Finland, I was propped up on a pair of XC skis as soon as I could walk as a young lad. I spent my childhood winters on trails in the woods, often in temperatures well below -20C. At some point, in my teenage years, I rebelled and decided that I'd had enough and focused on downhill skiing.

Fast forward almost 30 years....I've decide it is time for me to get "back" into XC skiing to give me something other than indoor training for the winter months. I'm hoping that within the next week to ten days I will be fully equipped to get back on the wintery trails and try to re-learn the sport. Bring on the pain - I can't wait!!!
    Jouko

Space for rent...
    You Finns certainly like your xc skiing. I was in Finland last year, and my colleagues told me about an indoor 1km ski tunnel in a town called usikawpunki (sp?). Apparently it is open year round, so you can get your fix anytime...
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    tapsa: Having grown up in Finland ...

I actually skied (downhill) in Finland at the Levi resort in Lapland. I was on a business trip (we provided e-payment applications for a large financial institution - you might know which one) and they flew us to Lapland and treated us to all kinds of activities, including skiing. It was a great experience, especially for an avid skier like me.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

I Wanna Be Sedated
    During my 2nd round of living in Finland (1991-2000) we would usually spend a week or so at Levi with the guys in the winter where my buddy had a nice log home about 800m from the base of the ski hills. I mostly remember a lot of drinking and other related misbehaviour, although I think the skiing may have been good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I actually skied (downhill) in Finland at the Levi resort in Lapland. I was on a business trip (we provided e-payment applications for a large financial institution - you might know which one) and they flew us to Lapland and treated us to all kinds of activities, including skiing. It was a great experience, especially for an avid skier like me.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Hey tapsa I agree about the drinking. I don't drink much, but many of the Finish guys were simply amazing. They drank all day, all night and it did not seem to affect them much. Puts the British to shame. And they used to joke that it is the Russian influence from across the border.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member

durham forest conditions?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but does anybody know how Durham forest looks for XC skiing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    And where is a gd place to buy skis?
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    Best place in town, bar none, is Velotique.

Take the time to go in and look at all the skis and get them properly fitted. You won't regret it!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Looking for Adventure
    If the prices are a bit too high at Velotique, then try MEC.
    Hardwood Hills is also good, but comparable to Velotique.
    Silent Sports is O.K. for finding older, cheaper stuff...with limited selection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was wondering about MEC...
    Are the staff knowlegeable enuf to get u the right skis?

How much maintenance is it to get skis that need waxing?
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:

Evil Jr.

When it comes to classic skis, the most important thing is getting a matched pair of skis that has a grip zone that suits your weight and style. The few people I know that bought their skis at MEC didn't have great luck in this department and that can lead to a generally sucky time on the trails.

Wax skis need to be waxed every time you go skiing and sometimes even more often than that. Velotique used to offer a free waxing clinic that was great to attend to help you understand what you were getting into.

Skate skis are an entirely different animal and I'm completely unqualified to comment on them. Anyone else care to chime in?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    When it comes to classic skis, the most important thing is getting a matched pair of skis that has a grip zone that suits your weight and style. The few people I know that bought their skis at MEC didn't have great luck in this department and that can lead to a generally sucky time on the trails.

Wax skis need to be waxed every time you go skiing and sometimes even more often than that. Velotique used to offer a free waxing clinic that was great to attend to help you understand what you were getting into.

Skate skis are an entirely different animal and I'm completely unqualified to comment on them. Anyone else care to chime in?
    I agree totally that properly fitted skis based on your weight is very important to a satisfying experience. Nowax skis still need to be glide waxed on the tips & tails if you expect good gliding. Nowax refers to the grip zone only. Glide wax can be either hotwax and scrape/brush for best performance and to be long lasting. There are quick and easy rub on glide waxes that perform reasonably well but last only 1 or 2 outings. I disagree that waxing must be done every outing. The range of glide wax is wider than grip wax so unless temperatures change significantly you can go for many skis on a hot wax before performance drops. I only hot waxed our skis 2 - 3 times/season and we ski 2 -3 times per week. Even grip wax does not have to be redone each outing if temp is the same or close to previous.Last winter temps were so consistant that we used the same waxes almost the whole time!!! If temps are milder than previous, you can just crayon and cork over the old, colder wax. Applying colder over warmer works less well, only if temps are close. If temps are more than one wax apart, you do need to scrape and clean to the base and rewax. Skate skis are glide waxed only, preferably hot wax same as downhill skis and tips/tails on classic skis.
    The top brands all now make high end nowax skis that work well but are pricey (probably $5-600), same as high end wax skis. Waxing clinics and ski lessons are definitely the way to go or you could flounder around for a long time and not enjoy it.... this is a "technical" sport for sure and that's part of the attraction imo
    A properly waxed classic ski will glide very fast yet let you ascend quite steep grades with classic striding and not having to 'herringbone" it
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-26-2008 at 05:21 PM.

mtbr member
    As for waxing classic skis, I recommend Start Grip Tape:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1227795901616
    http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bi...asp?NewsID=524

I found the grip to be good over a very wide range of temperatures and snow conditions. I love the fact that I can just grab my skis and go...no more messing around with removing sticky kick wax! And it lasts over 200km...mine still looked good at the end of the season.

Looking for Adventure

MEC's staff are not as knowledgeable, which is reflected in the price. However, if you just want to get into skiing, blaze your own trails, and not too concerned about speed, sticking with lower end skis is good enough. However, the skis need to be within a tight length, width, and camber range to work properly for you. If you can't find a knowledgeable buddy to shop with you, and your budget is tight, here are a few guidelines.

- Buy skis that have some sidecut, and are NOT the skinniest (the width of the front, middle, and tail should be labelled on any good ski). Avoid the skis that have perfectly parallel and straight sides.

- To find the right ski size. Pull out a nice, crisp $20 bill. Then find a perfectly flat and level hard floor surface about 7 feet long. To determine your right ski size, put both ski pairs on the floor, hip distance apart. Stand with one foot on each ski, with your toes at the marked ski middle. Put your weight evenly on both skis. Have someone slide that crisp $20 under the skis under your feet. If they can slide it under each ski, and back and forth about 1-2 feet......that is good.
    Then put all your weight on one ski, with the $20 under your foot. If the $20 is stuck......that is good. If both are good, you got the right size skis!

I recommend starting with classic skis. Waxable skis need much more higher maintenance and waxing knowledge than waxless skis. Waxless skis are slower, but if your goal is just to get out there.....go waxless. Fischer makes great waxless skis, but cost more. Karhu skis are O.K., and come in at a much lower price point.

Skate skiing is the holy grail goal of any XC skier, but takes an awful lot of skill, fitness, waxing skill, and pricey equipment. If you do go the skate ski route, only high end stuff will do to make it enjoyable.

Like downhill skiing, XC skiing needs instruction. Do invest in a few lessons before heading out on the trails.

Like most cyclists, you will probably start buying several sets of skis as you would bikes for your different needs.

**** Just checked MEC's website

Fischer Superlight Crown classic ski $265 (one of the best waxless skis around)
    Fischer Summit Crown classic ski $118 (one of the best waxless ski bargains right now)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thx for all the info.
    and sorry to derail the thread.
    I searched for xc ski foureum last month but didnt find anything good.
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel
    As for waxing classic skis, I recommend Start Grip Tape:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1227795901616
    http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bi...asp?NewsID=524

I found the grip to be good over a very wide range of temperatures and snow conditions. I love the fact that I can just grab my skis and go...no more messing around with removing sticky kick wax! And it lasts over 200km...mine still looked good at the end of the season.
    Wankel. do you notice any drop off in glide quality with the Grip Tape vs Grip Wax? I have been tempted to try this product for a few years, especially as winter temps now often hover around 0 deg and grip waxing for classic can be very hit or miss.

Muskoka
    Thx for all the info.
    and sorry to derail the thread.
    I searched for xc ski foureum last month but didnt find anything good.
    here's one...
    http://www.xcskiforum.com/

It's a pretty dead forum though... nothing at all like Mtbr-Eastern Canada (-8
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-29-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Muskoka

this morning...

Bonnie preferred to sleep in...so I thought it a good morning to get out early and onto the skate skis. Temperture profile for the day also makes skating a good choice. I was out
    on the trails by 8:45 with -3 C temps. By 10:30 as I was wrapping it up it was already +3. btw, saw Sean from Chico Racing just coming onto the trails as I was going off!
    Nice to see mtbikers who also enjoy the skinny skis

Looking for Adventure
    Ooooohhhh.......that second photo is a keeper. Nice shot!!

NormalNorm

+2 on the second photo.

Awesome......

man, I hate the GTA winters....slush and crap weather. I need some real winter weather.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Lest anyone be put off by all the tech blabla, earlier this week I went and bought a pair of reasonably cheap skis (Salomon Snowscape 7s) and some boots. Never having been on a pair of skis of any description before, I found it ridiculously easy to get going. The first outing I fell over a few times, the second much less, and today no problems.

I've been skiing the trails on my own farm, about 5k of them. I watched a few instruction vids on the web, and did a few of the drills, and that really helped.

The things that surprised me about it were:

1. How much faster I was than on snowshoes, even my first time out
    2. It wasn't as exhausting as I expected
    3. How much floatation I had (we have 2' of soft snow) even on 5.9cm skis
    4. How far I could get into the back woods... basically I could do everything I could do on snowshoes.

Now I have cut some grooves on the trails they are getting faster, which definitely needs more technique. But we have a big dump tonight so I will probably be breaking trail again next week.

I already like it almost as much as MTBing.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Muskoka
    Thanks Ricksom! I needed a rest and taking the picture was my excuse Had just skated the climb in the shot, beyond the crest of which had been another long gradual climb, and then coming up was a short descent and then right into "Staircase to Heaven". First skate of the season about one hour in at that point and I was "hurtin"

humber river advocate
    darn, thought this post would have mountain bikes in it...

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    Lest anyone be put off by all the tech blabla, earlier this week I went and bought a pair of reasonably cheap skis (Salomon Snowscape 7s) and some boots. Never having been on a pair of skis of any description before, I found it ridiculously easy to get going. The first outing I fell over a few times, the second much less, and today no problems.
    Yes!! I have been XC skiing for over 30 years (started at age 14), and classic skiing is really not that difficult when you just want to get out there and blaze a trail. Good you resisted investing too much money. I personally prefer going on rugged trail for some XC ski fun.

When you want to crank up the burn.....that is when you go skate skiing on rolling hill trails. Then you will be panting and your heart rate will go anaerobic.
    It is no surprise that many pro mountain bikers these days came from XC (skate) ski racing backgrounds.

mtbr member
    Wankel. do you notice any drop off in glide quality with the Grip Tape vs Grip Wax? I have been tempted to try this product for a few years, especially as winter temps now often hover around 0 deg and grip waxing for classic can be very hit or miss.
    I didn't really notice any loss of glide, but I'm no racer. Because the tape is a little thicker, you have to shorten your kick zone. Start recommends between 30-50cm.

Last year I also tried Toko Universal Spray grip wax (0 to -20 degrees) and had pretty good luck with it. A lot more convenient than hard wax. In fact I went out last friday with hard wax (Swix blue, I think), it was around -2, and I had zero grip. So, I pulled out the spray and applied it over top of the hard wax and life was instantly much better!

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Yes!! I have been XC skiing for over 30 years (started at age 14), and classic skiing is really not that difficult when you just want to get out there and blaze a trail. Good you resisted investing too much money. I personally prefer going on rugged trail for some XC ski fun.
    I still can't get over how much terrain I could get through in them. I was deep in the woods, climbing over fallen trees, huge drifts... basically no problem.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel
    I didn't really notice any loss of glide, but I'm no racer. Because the tape is a little thicker, you have to shorten your kick zone. Start recommends between 30-50cm.

Last year I also tried Toko Universal Spray grip wax (0 to -20 degrees) and had pretty good luck with it. A lot more convenient than hard wax. In fact I went out last friday with hard wax (Swix blue, I think), it was around -2, and I had zero grip. So, I pulled out the spray and applied it over top of the hard wax and life was instantly much better!
    Swix Blue is not an appropriate choice at -2 degC, so understandable you would get zero grip. Violet ( 0 deg) should be perfect in a groomed track, I would even go with a 0 to +2 wax if humidiy was high. Rule of thumb for groomed tracks ( ie transformed snow ) is to go one temperature range warmer for grip wax.

mtbr member
    Swix Blue is not an appropriate choice at -2 degC, so understandable you would get zero grip. Violet ( 0 deg) should be perfect in a groomed track, I would even go with a 0 to +2 wax if humidiy was high. Rule of thumb for groomed tracks ( ie transformed snow ) is to go one temperature range warmer for grip wax.
    The snow was new and the tracks hadn't been groomed again, just slightly packed from other skiers. I knew I needed something between my red/silver and blue waxes, but didn't have it, so opted for the harder wax. That way I could add warmer wax on top. Anyways, I'm back to trying the tape again. I might try tape on one ski and wax on the other, to compare in the same conditions.

Evil Jr.
    Waxing is a dark art. I've tried tons of different things with varying degrees of success. Sometimes, if you're looking for just the right wax between two that you have, you can crayon-on a little bit of both and cork them together to get what you want.

Feel free to experiment, there are all sorts of strange things you can do to deal with odd conditions. I've even waxed over klister (don't ask why) with reasonable success!

Singlespeed Mysty
    There is a substantial learning curve to becoming a skilled xc skier. More so if you have never ever skied. I started skiing as a child, half a century ago An old saying was "if you can walk, then you can xc ski" which in truth should be "if you can walk, then you can walk on xc skis". And you do see lots of shufflers - people that are really doing nothing much more than walking on skis. They would be better of on snow shoes. But learning can be a fun experience.The best advice I could give is to take some lessons, and also to buy good equipment.The secret to skiing of any kind is learning to balance on one (moving) ski, and then weight transfer from ski to ski.
    Nordic ski equipment has progressed so much in the past decade, and then you have the option of classic and skate techniques. I love xc skiing, and initially took up mountain biking just to maintain a fitness base in the off season. For me nothing really tops a sunny blue sky day, pristine snow landscapes, somewhere -2 to -10 deg C, beautifully groomed trails and a fast pair of skis

well, before I go out and spend a chunk of money on skiis, I think I will rent some gear first. I just want something new to enjoy...

although when I get some spare cashflow, I do want some snowshoes so I can go to Ravenshoe or Albion with the doggies
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Having moved to the area in April I've been totally spoiled with all that Barrie has to offer. I was really happy with the great road riding despite moving from Peterborough which has an amazing road scene. I now understand the appeal of winter around here, it comes on fast and hard getting around 130cm of snow in the last month. I live 10min from Hardwood (Ski and Bike ) and work as a mechanic in the shop so I've had amazing resources available to me when it came to finally slapping on a pair of skis. Hell the first time I shuffled out of the chalet it was with $1500 worth of gear haha, sooo not worthy. Just today I worked up the courage to actually ski on a weekend when you are bound to encounter other skiers on the trail. As I look at my training program for the next couple weeks I'm happy to see that it includes skiing in some form 6 out of 7 days of the week. So if you're up at Hardwood and you see me then say hi. I'll be the one in full cycling kit snowplowing down Terminator.

Evil Jr.
    So, I skied Hardwood for the first time this year yesterday. I did Salt Lake City before lunch and then Vancouver to round out the day.

I have to say, I really like the way they've laid out the new loops. It looks like it will really even-out traffic since it seems like the routes make it easier to draw some of the more timid skiers away from the Pine loop and onto some of the more gentle stuff on the Olympic loop.

Vancouver had me guessing the whole time where I was going and it's a great way to breathe new life into trails you've skied hundreds of times before.

I will say that I miss the trail name signs that they've removed. No more Snake, Waterfall or Raspberry Run! At least they kept "The Barn?"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    So, I skied Hardwood for the first time this year yesterday. I did Salt Lake City before lunch and then Vancouver to round out the day.

I have to say, I really like the way they've laid out the new loops. It looks like it will really even-out traffic since it seems like the routes make it easier to draw some of the more timid skiers away from the Pine loop and onto some of the more gentle stuff on the Olympic loop.

Vancouver had me guessing the whole time where I was going and it's a great way to breathe new life into trails you've skied hundreds of times before.

I will say that I miss the trail name signs that they've removed. No more Snake, Waterfall or Raspberry Run! At least they kept "The Barn?"
    I used to daydream about owning "The Barn" property and fixing up the old house a bit. And having Hardwood trails right there. That was years ago when there was still a real barn so there was no questionmark needed on the sign. And of course prior to Oro Township opening that Landfill Site!!
    That property is up ahead where the light is streaming through...not sure if I see the house in the clearing, and the barn foundation is just off to the left...
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 12-15-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0