Hardwood Hills opens Sat. April 30th - who's in?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hardwood Hills opens Sat. April 30th - who's in?

(NOT meant to advertise, just inform and inquire)

As the title says, Hardwood Hills opens this coming Saturday, April 30th.

Just wondering if anyone is going to be there? Maybe an opportunity to save a couple of bucks with a 6+ discount.

According to The Weather Network, the weather will be ...... ah, who the heck REALLY knows. Looks kinda-promising now.

So, who's in?

mtbr member
    wheres hardwood hillz?

mtbr member
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

rad to the power of sick
    I'd join ya...but thats also trout opener

g'luck
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

bi-winning
    I would like to, but unfortueately I won't be in the nation. Hope to get up there AT LEAST once this year. It is a bit far from Niagara Falls, so I shall have to see how things play out. There are so many places I have never been that i would like to check out too though. Albion, Fanshawe, Kelso...
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

pass on H/H. been there, done that

I don't want to jump to the trail so fast. The area is still wet muddy at H/H.Besides I visit that place many times. It's getting boring to me. I need a challenge in long ride where no bikers have gone before.I want to try Durham forest. It bigger than H/H.

banned
    Mar 2005
    pay???...you have to pay?

whats wrong with all of the free trails that are up here?...Collingwood and vicinity have some of the best trails around...climbs, drops, and some incredible scenery...try 3 stage, kolapore (don't sue if you fall in a hole), laury forest, and others and they are always open...been having fun in the snow the last few weeks, this week they will be perfect

mtbr member
    I used to enjoy HH however their prices have gone up and I find the trail system rarely changes. Their 'Extreme' trail was only so in terms of fitness, not terrain & challenges. They are a great family ride place but I'm not into that yet.

In fact I've become more of a Blue Mountain fan then anything else. I'm also planning on trying out 3 stages & Kolapore as I think the terrain will offer more challenges.

Clem

Apr 2005
    looks like a nice trail. Just a lil far for me and for the price. I think ill just stick with Hilton Falls, Erindale Park, and kelso.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. go to Durham forest ????

Quote Originally Posted by GinoLicious
    looks like a nice trail. Just a lil far for me and for the price. I think ill just stick with Hilton Falls, Erindale Park, and kelso.

Hey Gino, do you want to go to Durham forest ?????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    pay???...you have to pay?

whats wrong with all of the free trails that are up here?...
    There's nothing wrong with the free trails up here. The problem, if you wanna call it that, would be with ME. I don't know about these places and i'm just finding out now (read the sig for reference).

Right now I really don't care where I go or how much it costs, I just want some DIRT! The local stuff around here is pittiful (meaning in my immideate vicinity). HH is all but a distant memory to me, hence the post. Call it "newbie enthusiasm and "newness"". I've got some new toys to try out and I want to get on my bike and ride for a day, play around with settings and positions and such..... and i'm generally not a patient person.

Durham, Collingwood, Kelso (sounds nice, been there, but haven't riden it) - whatever. Couple that with the convenience and mutuality of meeting some fellow MTBR members.

I'm hungry - I need diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirt. NOW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job! PM me if you guys want to go to Durham !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    There's nothing wrong with the free trails up here. The problem, if you wanna call it that, would be with ME. I don't know about these places and i'm just finding out now (read the sig for reference).

Right now I really don't care where I go or how much it costs, I just want some DIRT! The local stuff around here is pittiful (meaning in my immideate vicinity). HH is all but a distant memory to me, hence the post. Call it "newbie enthusiasm and "newness"". I've got some new toys to try out and I want to get on my bike and ride for a day, play around with settings and positions and such..... and i'm generally not a patient person.

Durham, Collingwood, Kelso (sounds nice, been there, but haven't riden it) - whatever. Couple that with the convenience and mutuality of meeting some fellow MTBR members.

I'm hungry - I need diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirt. NOW!

ahay, Sir! Is there anything else you want sir ? Do you want to ride this Sat at Durham? I can go to durham. PM me if you want to go .

mtbr member
    HAHAHA! SORRY!!! Did I get any on ya? Oops.

P.M. sent. Um, sending P.M. Ah, you know what I mean.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Hey AndrewTO...welcome to my world

HH is great but as with any for-profit facility, the have RULES, and not a lot of opportunity to explore new trails. If you have transport to get to HH, let me share a few alternatives that may suit and are closer:

head up Airport Road, just north of 89 is Mansfield Outdoor Centre, yes, a for-profit facility, but if it suits, go no further, advantage here is that you wander a bit and head towards Creemore through some back trails

But keep going north to Collingwood and try Laury Forest (free) located by Georgian Peaks or Kolapore (free), great trails through Blue Mountain terrain, then do the Bruce Trail (free)...lots of access points (like 3 Stage), my favorite is to go up Scenic Caves Road, go to the end of Swiss Meadows, and start at the look-out...this takes you across the top of the ski hills, into the woods (tough singletrack)...you can XC all the way to Tobermorey...also try Pretty River and Orenda Prov. Parks...each have many trails to choose from, don't get lost

Not much in Wasaga, but they do have the Ganaraska Trail...sort of follows the Nottawasaga River and then heads inland...take care as i have learned why sandpaper is made with sand

Locations and maps are on the web...MNR has some

more dirt to challenge any level of ability

cheers

mtbr member
    (dives into map book)

COOL! Thanks! I never knew those places existed. I'll definetly have to check them out through this summer.

About HH - I always liked it there, but I can certainly agree that it would get repitituous. Ride it enough times and you know what's around the corner. I'm the same way with Humber Trail, having ridden it my whole life. Good for exercise, but there better be some GOOD scenery. Thank god for Lakeshore.

Like it's been mentioned before, the idea of a group ride is interesting to me. I've never done it before. I've almost always been on solo rides and the company and such would certainly make for an interesting change.

I can picture it now.....

Hey guys, wait for meeeeeeee. (panting furiously)

Picard and I are going to hit Durham this Saturday (April 30th), weather permitting. If anyone else is there then that's cool to.

Everyone be sure to post when you're doing something if you want company.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ...don't know how much time you have, but another option is Buckwallow. It's about an hour north of Hardwood-different riding completely. It's all rocks and teachie stuff. I like it better than HH.

I was up to Buckwallow last week and the sign said they were opening on May 1st but I suspect poor old Mike (the owner) just didn't realize that the 1st of May landed on a sunday. We can't wait until then so we're heading over there Saturday and plan to beg him to let us out

mtbr member
    I think I shall go to HH tomorrow. If nothing else, I get to demo all kinds of nice bikes. How can one go wrong with that? Warning: it might snow up there in the morning!

Personally I find HH to be plenty challeging for XC riding. The Gnarly and Radical loops are very tough, especially if you go against time and do a couple of laps. The Serious loop is fantastic for fast riding, and I hear that they will reopen the Simcoe single track!

I find HH to be plenty of challenge and variety for any intermediate. Or maybe I just suck compared to others.

To give you an idea, I normally do Albion Hills, 2 loops taking all the black runs for a total of 19.8 km for each loop. It takes me about 3:00 hours and I don't screw around.

At HH I do 4 loops of the Serious run or 2 loops of the Gnarly run. Sometimes I combine these. After a few hours of riding against the clock, I am spent. I am 43 years old, but I am in decent shape and I train regularly. I am also training for a 25km trail run at Kelso (on July 30).

What kind of riding do you guys do?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

weather is bad this weekend

Weather is bad this weekend. Andrew and I cancel the ride. Next week will be better I hope.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    too bad y'all have bad weather. I can ski in the morning and ride in the afternoon.
    I made the move to the best place in the world....Whistler
    but i stil like to check in on the Ontario happenings

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    too bad y'all have bad weather. I can ski in the morning and ride in the afternoon.
    I made the move to the best place in the world....Whistler
    but i stil like to check in on the Ontario happenings
    when'd you moved. i'm jealous

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

... and if we just ... move back to ontario pronto !

yeah man, When did you moved without informing us ?? We now have bike envy. You desert us for those northshore hippies heh !
    How can you do this to us ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    it was easy...sell everything and hop on a plane......

go skiing in the morning and biking in the afternoon.

the bike park opens here tomorrow and that means from midstation down the bike park wil be open. Rode up to midstation and then down through some narly singletrack unlike anything Ontario has....
    Sold off the trek and replaced it with a KONA Dawg Primo out here

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    it was easy...sell everything and hop on a plane......

go skiing in the morning and biking in the afternoon.

the bike park opens here tomorrow and that means from midstation down the bike park wil be open. Rode up to midstation and then down through some narly singletrack unlike anything Ontario has....
    Sold off the trek and replaced it with a KONA Dawg Primo out here
    Arr, a trek HT to a kona Dawg Primo, can picture what kind to riding you got out there in the west. Enjoy more on both your bike and your skis.

mtbr member
    Thanks skihillguy for reminding us of what we are missing.

Nevertheless I have 47 days of skiing this season, so I do get my share. But the season is certainly over and now I move on to my summer obsession. Speaking of obsession, it seems that there will be no rain at HH, so I am definitely going. I will let everyone know how it was.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quick report on Hordwood Hills:

I was there yesterday (April 30) for the demo day. There was some light intermitent rain, but nothing that would prevent one from having fun. The trails (especially the single track) were in good shape considering all the rain we have been getting in Toronto.

I managed to demo 8 bikes. We were allowed 20 minutes per bike, which is plenty of time to form an opinion. I even took out a KHS single speed with a rigid fork and soft tail. Makes one appreciate suspension and gears, but fun nevertheless. It was all free. Even the HH pass was free with a Web cupon.

Best trail bikes:

Marin Mount Vision. Yum.
    Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0. More bike than I could ever use.

Best XC bikes:

Marin Indian Fire Trail (HT). This was a full XTR setup on a 23 lbs XC race bike.
    Trek Top Fuel 98. I own this bike (2004 model) and I wanted to see how the new shock (Fox RP3) handles. Everyone was impressed with this bike, but the $4400 is hard to digest.

Biggest disappointment:

Specialized FSR Comp 120. For an XC bike, this one had way too much bob. Several people remarked this, so I was not alone with this opinion. The Fox Septune shock is supposed to have a ProPedal setup, but it did not help (or it did not work). Frankly, I am amazed that they would let people demo a bike that is guaranteed to disappoint.

Best eye opener.

KHS Solo One Single Speed. The ratio is 33T to 16T, so many steep climbs will get you out of the saddle. Frankly I don't have what it takes to handle this bike on trails where I normally go. Many of the climbs would simply kill me.

I hope some of you made out to HH. It really was fun.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Good stuff, Serious! Glad to hear it was worth your while.

Hmmm, thermometer outside the kitchen window shows 19*C, it's clear.... I have some obligations today that i'm going to try to get out of - and some grooves that i'm going to try to get into.

WOOOHOOOO!

banned
    Mar 2005
    I'm 55 and do about 400 km/wk, year round

i match your XC times mostly in forest trails around collingwood, can do 20km on trails around blue mountain in about 60-90 minutes on FS and HT's, depending on the climbs...you must really fly!

i also do some asphalt on a vintage road bike or flat hybrid, my favorite run is from collingwood to creemore on fairgrounds road (return trip is about 70 km), has three good climbs going up the niagara escarpment, takes about 3 hours

every birthday i bike from south etobicoke to collingwood on a big frame comfort hybrid, about 145 km, last year it took 7.5 hours because of a NW wind...looking forward to beating this time in a few weeks

My kid thinks i'm weird

I already rode that
    Prob because all the time along the road wouldve been better off offroad

banned
    Mar 2005
    think you're right, she just got a Trek Liquid and still has her Trek 7000zx (anniversary model) with Manitou forks

mtbr member

hardwood not worth it

Hardwood Hills is over priced. The admission cost is frankly too expensive. Why should I dish out hard earned money when I can go ride at places like Erindale Park, Don Valley and others for free!!

Hardwood really should try and bring their prices down!!

CRANK YOUR PEDALS!
    LATER!

banned
    Mar 2005
    Have you tried Mansfield Outdoor Centre (MOC) on airport road, about 20km north of 89 (almost across the road from Mansfield Ski Club)?...unlike HH, this is not a winter-use facility and is set up for bikes. open week-ends (i don't think that anyone is there during the week so access may be free for now)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My cousin is the owner of hardwood hills, so next time i see her i could always ask her about building some more stuff like shore stunts, drops and such. the only thing is HH isnt really on a hill so its hard to make DH stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    Have you tried Mansfield Outdoor Centre (MOC) on airport road, about 20km north of 89 (almost across the road from Mansfield Ski Club)?...unlike HH, this is not a winter-use facility and is set up for bikes. open week-ends (i don't think that anyone is there during the week so access may be free for now)
    Have you ever even been to MOC?

It's a xc ski place in the winter and it's an outdoor education facility. It is also closed during the week to bikes so I guess it's free just not legal.

http://www.mansfieldoutdoorcentre.ca/

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    (dives into map book)

COOL! Thanks! I never knew those places existed. I'll definetly have to check them out through this summer.

About HH - I always liked it there, but I can certainly agree that it would get repitituous. Ride it enough times and you know what's around the corner. I'm the same way with Humber Trail, having ridden it my whole life. Good for exercise, but there better be some GOOD scenery. Thank god for Lakeshore.

Like it's been mentioned before, the idea of a group ride is interesting to me. I've never done it before. I've almost always been on solo rides and the company and such would certainly make for an interesting change.

I can picture it now.....

Hey guys, wait for meeeeeeee. (panting furiously)

Picard and I are going to hit Durham this Saturday (April 30th), weather permitting. If anyone else is there then that's cool to.

Everyone be sure to post when you're doing something if you want company.

thanks BRAIDS...i was looking for this, and only $40 for the season...they didn't look open this winter, do they still ski there?

http://www.mansfieldoutdoorcentre.ca/
    Last edited by JM01; 05-05-2005 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaTT_133
    My cousin is the owner of hardwood hills, so next time i see her i could always ask her about building some more stuff like shore stunts, drops and such. the only thing is HH isnt really on a hill so its hard to make DH stuff.
    you don't need massive elevation for this sort of stuff, it could easily be added to the terrain at HH.

Imagine an Extreme trail that includes many skinnies, drops, teeter, jumps, etc ... if they made it long and flowy they would definitely see an increase in traffic by riders looking for this sort of stuff. So what if there are uphill sections, if the downhill is fun enough most riders on big bikes will suffer through the uphill for it.

I think the main issue into why HH won't add this stuff is safety and of course Liability.

If you mention it to her you should post her answer, I'm curious to hear her point of view.

Clem