Hardwood Hills - Beginner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Hardwood Hills - Beginner?

Hi everyone! I am brand new to mountain biking. So new I have only been once and that was earlier this week. I went for a ride on the Guelph Lake trails with a group of people and only hit a few trees I had so much fun and now I want to take a ride at Hardwood Hills in Barrie. I see that they have 2 green trails. Can anyone tell me if they would be okay for someone just starting out?

Thanks so much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joey24601 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am brand new to mountain biking. So new I have only been once and that was earlier this week. I went for a ride on the Guelph Lake trails with a group of people and only hit a few trees I had so much fun and now I want to take a ride at Hardwood Hills in Barrie. I see that they have 2 green trails. Can anyone tell me if they would be okay for someone just starting out?

Thanks so much.
    yes. I rode hardwood trails as beginner too. Hardwood hills has beginner trails. once you get accustomed to beginner, you can move directly to intermediate. all hardwood trails are easy because it isn't tough like Blue mountain or BC northshore trails.

More than a little slow
    Hardwood is the perfect place to try mountain biking as a beginner.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    If you can make a drive, and like Muskoka. Try Buckwallow by the Gravenhurst KOA right off Hwy 11. Flat. Yes some trails rocky or roots and some very advanced, most have bi passes or walk that sections. but the rating system and discription at the start of each single track section really help. Start with 1 or 2 deer hoof, or the double track ski trails for a few km all way around . Never know what u may see there to? My 3 year old now 14 started there and still rides now races it as do many many families.
    Last edited by washagorider; 05-25-2017 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Buckwallow trails are mostly advanced and challenging. it is not a place to test out your skills first time. you need to wear elbow pads, knee pads. there are lots of big rocks there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I totally disagree. You obviously didn't ride the Entire place and aimed only for the 5 hoof advanced trails where yes some riders do wear that! But there are many many trails , some double wide ski trails that are beginner, Either way if in the area give it a try. I am sure after the hill climbs and roots of Hardwood you'll be ready. Are you mixing up Porcupine Ridge in. Bracebridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hardwood Hills - Beginner?-img_0026.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I rode easy trails on Buckwallow too but the trails are too short compare to Durham forest. the whole area has large boulders. it is tougher than Durham forest.

mtbr member
    Buckwallow can be fun for a beginner, but it would hardly be the first place to go as a beginner. The challenging Canada Shield stuff is the reason to drive up there. Something you can't find at other places. It is one of my favorite destinations, but would not recommend first time out. Hardwood is a good place, Kelso, Durham Forest and Albion would all work nicely. Albion can have a lot of climbing. It is not technical, but may tax fitness. All these places have nicely groomed trails perfect for beginners with enough of other stuff to make it interesting as you progress.
    PS: I would add the Hydrocut and Puslinch as well if you are toward the west of Toronto. Lots to be had close by.
    Burnt Norton