Hardtail at Blue Mountain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Hardtail at Blue Mountain?

Has anyone done a day of downhill on their hardtail? If so, was it enjoyable?

I've been to Blue a few times. The first few I took my Kona Precept DL. I moderate travel trail bike with low end fork and shock. It did fine, but I didn't venture off the blue trails.

My last time there I rented a DH bike. I expected to be bombing down everything, but was actually slower because I spent a good amount of the day getting used to the bike.

Now I'm planning a trip for next week. I'm back and forth on if I take the Precept again, or if I take my new Kona Big Honzo DL. It's an aggressive geo hardtail, with a way nicer fork than the Precept has. Also, I get a bit of squish from the 27.5+ tires. The FS bike has pretty much sat unused since I got my fat bike and the Honzo, because the other too are more fun.

I think I'm a better rider than I was the last few years (this is my forth year of MTB), and I find myself hitting things I wouldn't before.

So, if you were choosing, would it be the super fun hardtail, or the full suspension? The plan would be to spend a good amount of time on the blue trails again, but to venture onto some of the black later in the day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Where do you normally ride?

Which bike has better brakes?

I'd always opt for the full suspension, but a hard tail will do fine as well. You might get tired quicker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks. Brakes are both just ok (low end Shimano vs SRAM level t). Iíve pretty much been riding hard tail exclusively since I got the fat bike a year and a half ago. Got the plus size hardtail this spring and itís now been my go to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've spent several days at Blue Mountain on my Kona Explosif and thought it was pretty fun, I didn't have any problems riding all the trails on the mountain.
    It should be noted that I have a lot of experience and not much good sense, take that for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've never been to Blue on a hardtail, but there were two guys racing the MEC enduro yesterday on hardtails and they were hauling on those things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    So on Monday I hit Blue on my Big Honzo. First run was down Minion and I was thinking I made a mistake on bike choice. It was somewhat jarring. I continued on and started picking lines better and it ended up being the best time Iíve had at Blue. There were very few times that I was wishing I had a big bike. I generally only use Strava for my own progress, to see how I do against my previous times but looking at my runs vs others from the same day I was hanging in there. Also, I got PRs on every trail I hit, but I think thatís more related to my skill improving than the bike choice.
    I got just under 4 hours of riding in. The lift line was non existent so I could finish a run and immediately head back to the top. Got 14 runs in, and tried showcase for the first time, which actually ended up being easier on the body than most of the blue rated trails as it wasnít as rutted. At the end of the 4 hours my legs were done though. I donít think I could have done more and the next couple days I was definitely feeling it.
    Iíd make the same bike choice again in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Good info! Did you do any other black or higher rated trails or just showcase?

How many mm of front travel does the Big Honzo have? and what tire pressures did you run?
    My MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I only did showcase for the black trails. Was going to try o chute but was told it was pretty rutted.

The Honzo has 120 mm revelation on it. The tires are 2.8Ē and I was running about 21 psi. I usually run around 16 for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Did you have to take a rider evaluation test before being able to ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Only for a couple of the trails. Haole and one other one that I canít think of right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    ^ H2O is the other freeride trail. I had fun riding down showcase with you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It was great! Iím glad I was talked into trying it on the lift because it was definitely one of the best trails I rode that day.

mtbr member
    So I took my Roscoe 8 to blue on Sunday, and it did great! did most of the blue trails and I tried Showcase as well! Overall it was great, but by the end of the day my arms and hands where toast!

mtbr member
    Here is the video of my ride at Blue Mountain on my hardtail!

https://youtu.be/hyeuY0zBYkE