Hamilton Recognized With Bicycle Friendly Community Award- Mtbr.com
    Evil Jr.

Hamilton Recognized With Bicycle Friendly Community Award

The Hamilton Cycling Committee is please to announce that we (...and the City) just won an award!

(If you're thinking about moving here, I highly suggest you jump on it while houses are still cheap. Prices are only going to go up once they get the GO line extended through town. )

Ottawa, Ontario – August 23rd, 2011 – The Share the Road Cycling Coalition, (SRCC) an Ontario-based non-profit organization which promotes bicycling as a mode of transportation, recreation and fitness through provincial advocacy, announced today the latest Ontario Bicycle Friendly Communities Awards.

The announcement was made at the Association of Municipalities (AMO) of Ontario annual meeting in London, Ontario by Share the Road Cycling Coalition CEO Eleanor McMahon and Janet O’Connell, Executive Director of the Bicycle Trade Association of Canada. AMO is a non-profit organization representing almost all of Ontario’s 444 municipal governments. More than 1,600 participants from hundreds of municipalities across Ontario are participating in this year’s conference.

The Bicycle Friendly Communities (BFC) Program, an initiative of the Washington-based League of American Bicyclists, provides incentives, hands-on assistance, and award recognition for communities that actively support bicycling. The League is the largest bicycling advocacy organization in the U.S. and represents the interests of the nation's 57 million cyclists. With a membership of 300,000 affiliated cyclists the League works to bring better bicycling to communities across the U.S.

The program was launched by the Share the Road Cycling Coalition in Canada in August 2010 at the Association of Municipalities of Ontario annual meeting in partnership with the Washington-based League. The Bicycle Friendly Communities program requires that municipalities complete a thorough application. They are then judged in five categories often referred to as the Five “ Es.” These are Engineering, Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, and Evaluation & Planning.

A community must demonstrate achievements in each of the five categories in order to be considered for an award. Communities with more significant achievements in these areas receive superior awards. Applications are assessed by a team of experts who receive input from local officials. The Award categories are: Honorable Mention, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum.

The following communities were awarded Bicycle Friendly status: Hamilton – Silver; London – Bronze; Oshawa – Bronze and Town of the Blue Mountains – Bronze.

“Share the Road is proud to announce these four award-winning communities. They join the cities of Ottawa (Silver), Waterloo (Silver), Ajax (Bronze) and Windsor (Bronze) as communities whose investments in making their communities more bicycle friendly were recognized by our panel of experts as worthy of this Award,” said Share the Road Cycling Coalition CEO Eleanor McMahon.

McMahon noted the importance of highlighting the growing number of communities who are investing time as well as financial and human resources, in the interest of becoming more “bicycle friendly”: “What we are seeing in our discussions with municipalities across Ontario – and indeed here at AMO – is that there is a burgeoning interest on the part of municipalities who want to learn how to become more bicycle friendly. This program provides them with not only with recognition for their efforts, but an evaluation of their progress, and advice on how to improve. Indeed we encourage municipalities to apply because the application process itself promotes discussion and provides the impetus for improvements.”

“It is important that we recognize their accomplishments, while at the same time, provide municipalities with the kind of feedback that will take them to the next level of achievement. In the context of this positive, constructive discussion, we are seeing a healthy competitive dynamic emerge as municipalities celebrate their successes thus far and begin to think how they can leverage this award to have a conversation locally about how they can, working with community stakeholders, build on their success. This civic pride dynamic begins to change the conversation from one of perpetual conflict – the “motorists vs. cyclists” dynamic, to one where, communities are recognized and rewarded for embracing the positive benefits of cycling,” McMahon added.

McMahon also noted that the awards process has provided a snapshot of the burgeoning interest in bicycling in Ontario: “When I meet with Ontario’s municipal leaders to discuss how to enhance cycling in their communities, some clear themes emerge. Many are struggling to retrofit their infrastructure and accommodate cyclists in cities and towns that particularly in the last half a century, were built primarily for moving motorized vehicles – not people. Many are concerned about the lack of education for motorists and cyclists alike. Municipal leaders recognize that their citizens want to ride their bicycles, and walk more often – for reasons related to improved physical health and well being, a desire to lower their impact on the environment and because of rising fuel costs.”

“An equally important emerging dynamic is the growing interest in bicycle tourism as a mechanism for increased economic development. Ontario’s municipalities want to leverage their natural assets to attract bicycle tourists to their area. In short, they want to encourage bicycling and it is our hope that this program will provide them with the advice they need to leverage the numerous benefits bicycling provides,” McMahon noted.

“We are very encouraged by recent announcements from the Ontario Medical Association recommending that the province enhance their investment in municipal infrastructure. Further, the NDP ($60 M) and the Ontario Green Party ($200 M) have both announced support for municipal infrastructure in their platforms. We look forward to, through our Active Communities Pledge initiative, keeping healthy and active communities on the provincial election agenda, in support of communities across Ontario,” McMahon added
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I'd think house rices jumped today with the announcement of the award! Bikes are cheaper here too! A $50 bike is still a $50 bike in the Hammer. In the Tdot they want $150 for a $50 bike, and then somebody steals it!

Nice that the hard work of the Hamilton Cycling Committee and City staff is being recognized!

bi-winning
    Congratulations Hamilton. I'll be riding your trails and roadways again soon!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    (If you're thinking about moving here, I highly suggest you jump on it while houses are still cheap. Prices are only going to go up once they get the GO line extended through town. )
    I know I was chatting with you about that at the bike show this year, and I assure you I have probably looked at every MLS listing posted since then.....you think the window of opportunity is closing? Or was this comment directed specifically at me?

Seriously though, it looks like Hamilton is positioning itself as an 'anti-Toronto' which may make it very appealing to certain demographics during the Rob Ford-years.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    After consulting with my lawyer I was advised to only say...

Congrats.

sock puppet

My lawyer is better than yours

He suggested he could successfully defend the use of:

Congratulations Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    After consulting with my lawyer I was advised to only say...

Congrats.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    He suggested he could successfully defend the use of:

Congratulations Hamilton.

Something about keeping dark evil thoughts in check in the last week and a half was mentioned.

sock puppet

every man

has to go through the process of soul searching...

some go to Whistler and ride their brains out.
    some (censored)
    some endorse alcohol and cigars
    some get time out

in the end, the result is the same...

but not to derail the thread - i don't understand what Rob Ford has to do with Hamilton being anti-Toronto etc...

I don't think that building bike lanes should be done at the expense of drivers (Jarvis) as it is counter productive. Dumb move on part of previous mayor. Jarvis is too busy as is.

I don't think Ford is anti-cyclist. Just my opinion. Hopefully he delivers what he promised. Alternative is not very good looking at all.

Something about keeping dark evil thoughts in check in the last week and a half was mentioned.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

but not to derail the thread - i don't understand what Rob Ford has to do with Hamilton being anti-Toronto etc...

I don't think that building bike lanes should be done at the expense of drivers (Jarvis) as it is counter productive. Dumb move on part of previous mayor. Jarvis is too busy as is.

I don't think Ford is anti-cyclist. Just my opinion. Hopefully he delivers what he promised. Alternative is not very good looking at all.
    Okay.. I'll bite on the Rob Ford thing.

Simple really. People like the comfort of the status quo. So all the cycling activists foaming at the mouth about Rob Ford are upset that things are not clicking along to their agenda. hence the whole "War on Bikes" like this is something new.

While I congratulate Hamilton I can't ignore the reality. That being since November 2002 till now there has been more carnage in this province with cyclists being killed by drivers. Yet in 30 years of BC riding never have I seen this willingness to mow down anyone not in a car in such large numbers. It's like the crazy relative that keeps getting invited to the big family gatherings and no one wants to deal with it.

So now.. let's all blame Rob Ford for every evil that occurs to cyclists. Stop blaming who ever is the figure head. Blame ourselves who accept the status quo in silence. You know.. in some countries- Europe there would have at least been one big protest and riot by now.

*And no I'm not jumping on the "I hate Rob Ford" bandwagon.

Sorry... but after getting hit by a car for the 5th time in 8 years makes one a little bitter about the whole "Share The Road" concept.

mtbr member
    Wasn't even necessarily just talking about bike lanes, or Ford policy in general. I am talking about optics and marketing.

Toronto News: Scorn in Toronto, acclaim in Hamilton - thestar.com

Shameless publicity stunt? Probably, but timely. Declining industrial base and cheap real estate means a lot of 'pinkos' could migrate and own at a premium cost of 3k/yr GO pass when renting in Kensigton in a Fordian Toronto ceases to be affordable or appealing. Just sayin.

*historical side note: a few years back rode the Tottenham excursion train. Same line as Terra Cotta/Palgrave rail trail and still active (busy!) Georgetown/Milton/Hamilton. A guide explained to us that the line was built Barrie-Hamilton at the time (19th century) to hedge a bet against Hamilton becoming the dominant city in Ontario. We know which way that went, but with a little work to drop its stigma I think Hamilton can at least give some other GTA suburbs/cities a run for their money.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Wasn't even necessarily just talking about bike lanes, or Ford policy in general. I am talking about optics and marketing.

Shameless publicity stunt? Probably, but timely. Declining industrial base and cheap real estate means a lot of 'pinkos' could migrate and own at a premium cost of 3k/yr GO pass when renting in Kensigton in a Fordian Toronto ceases to be affordable or appealing. Just sayin.

The national pastime...Hating Toronto.

Evil Jr.
    I know I was chatting with you about that at the bike show this year, and I assure you I have probably looked at every MLS listing posted since then.....you think the window of opportunity is closing? Or was this comment directed specifically at me?
    Not directed strictly at you but you were in the back of my mind. Without fail, after each of these group rides we have, we get asked "So what do houses go for around here anyway?"

I don't want to downplay the award but I'm also part of a working group in Hamilton called Transportation for Livable Communities and they might not have given the City the same high marks.

The Cycling Committee's reaction was more positive. They view the Silver as a missed Gold.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet

Shameless publicity stunt? Probably, but timely.
    Margaret Atwood:

“You start with tossing off latte drinkers, gay pride and bicycle riders and me, what’s the message? The message is: ‘We don’t want you people here,’” Atwood said. “I’m sure Hamilton or Burlington or Oshawa would be very happy if some of those festivals and conventions moved there.”

Wow. Never heard her name before all this public library outcry - associated with Toronto. Public stunt? Understatement.

But regardless of these stunts, Hamilton should rank higher than it is right now - due to it's geo-political position as well as it's surroundings... With conscious environmental policies - the stigma of the "dirty city" should have been removed a long time ago...

Not to mention the lack of metrosexual snobbism and other plagues that have been poisoning Toronto for a while now...

If they only get an NHL team - the sky is a limit...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey I didn't know Neil Peart was originally from Hamilton. Three people I've worked with in Toronto are at McMaster now and much of what I hear about Hamilton these days seems to indicate a renaissance of sorts is in the offing. Congrats on the award!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Star
    Literary icon Margaret Atwood has accepted an invitation from Hamilton Mayor Bob Bratina to tour the city’s newly renovated central library.
    The new Central Library is awesome, BTW. They renovated it in conjunction with the Farmer's Market and the two are really excellently integrated now. The juvenille fiction reading area actually overhangs the Market now (divided by a glass curtain wall).

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Wow. Never heard her name before all this public library outcry - associated with Toronto. Public stunt? Understatement.
    Atwood supported Toronto Public Libraries, using Twitter to ask people to support an online petition and subsequently snubbing the Ford brothers. Doug Ford shot back that "I don’t even know her. If she walked by me, I wouldn’t have a clue who she is." (thus showing how ineffective public education is).

Toronto Star article

fwiw, I think the library systems in Toronto and Hamilton are both excellent. I grew up in Toronto and love it, but don't regret moving to Hamilton. Other than high taxes and possibly some corruption (sound familiar?) it's awesome.

Evil Jr.
    Completely unrelated Atwood story: A few years ago, I gave my Mom a copy of The Blind Assassin for Xmas (I give everyone books at Xmas) and about a month later, she called me up and exclaimed "I didn't realise you'd given me an autographed copy!" Neither had I - I have no idea how the (generic) inscription got in there!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    But regardless of these stunts, Hamilton should rank higher than it is right now - due to it's geo-political position as well as it's surroundings... With conscious environmental policies - the stigma of the "dirty city" should have been removed a long time ago...
    The best image I ever had of Hamilton was 20 years ago in the rear view mirror. And the stench of manuure still reeks around there.

Evil Jr.
    And the stench of manuure still reeks around there.
    That's just the politicians (and maybe the odd dairy farm).

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    The best image I ever had of Hamilton was 20 years ago in the rear view mirror. And the stench of manuure still reeks around there.
    That tears it. You're not welcome back for the Dundas Monstercross ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Pretty much all you see is steel mill from the QEW when passing by, and that can't help the image. I actually spend time at Dofasco a dozen times a year or more, and recently have been taking an ex Hamilton resident with me for training purposes. He's directed me to his favourite places to eat downtown, and I must say that just from the little extra exposure to the city that he's given me, I'm surprised, impressed, and a little envious of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    Pretty much all you see is steel mill from the QEW when passing by, and that can't help the image. I actually spend time at Dofasco a dozen times a year or more, and recently have been taking an ex Hamilton resident with me for training purposes. He's directed me to his favourite places to eat downtown, and I must say that just from the little extra exposure to the city that he's given me, I'm surprised, impressed, and a little envious of it.
    Hamilton gets a really bad rap, as 99% of people only see the Steel Mills from the QEW, but there are some truly amazing neighborhoods throughout the city.

As GM and NG will attest, Dundas / Westdale is a great spot to live, notably for cyclists. From my current place, when I role out of the driveway, I can coast to the rail trail. From there, it's less that 2-3 minutes to stretch of single track that will give me close to 1/2 hour of riding. And that's just the start, see Lukey's trail map thread.

For people that enjoy riding bikes on any surface, West Hamilton is hard to beat. I've in the past (and even currently) looked at relocating for work purposes, but for a person that prefers to ride out their door (Road, XC, Mixed surface/CX, touring, etc) I cannot think of an urban environment that is better suited.

Hell if you follow my endurance rides, you'll see we ride technical singletrack right through the heart of the city!

Evil Jr.
    We moved here from Toronto (Shuter and Sherbourne) around 8 years ago for work. At first, we were like "Uh, Hamilton?" We made a day trip into town after looking at some MLS listings.

We drove in along York Road, parked across from Dundas City Hall. Our jaws dropped and we knew we'd found home.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    That tears it. You're not welcome back for the Dundas Monstercross ride.
    It's far deeper then that Kim,

Google Robert Land Academy and read the various links.

It's amazing how one institution can make one view the whole area as nothing positive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    We moved here from Toronto (Shuter and Sherbourne) around 8 years ago for work. At first, we were like "Uh, Hamilton?" We made a day trip into town after looking at some MLS listings.

We drove in along York Road, parked across from Dundas City Hall. Our jaws dropped and we knew we'd found home.
    Shhh you guys||||||||||||||| Keep up that talk and the trails will get plugged up with people from Tarana and Kingston and we won't have them all to ourselves anymore!!!

BTW, I'm in the east end of Hamilton, I just ride across one 4 lane road to get to a good 2 hours worth of mostly singletrack.

Even tho the Hammer is a great place to bike, there were growing pains here too. I think it was about 10 years ago, city staffers came out with an agressive bike lane plan that cut car traffic lanes in some busy areas. A couple of days later the plan got trimmed and more car lanes got reinstated.