Hamilton Endurance Ride - v2011- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hamilton Endurance Ride - v2011

So Verndog and I were talking and decided it was time to nail down a 2011 Hamilton Endurance ride date. Seems like Sunday July 17th is the best day with the current OCA schedule.

Giving plenty of notice so people from around the world can schedule their lives around this date.

Check out the links below for what to expect, but in general, 100 km of riding, from gnarly single track to beach front paths with great views!

Disclaimer: While this is a social ride and we won't leave anyone stranded (or without good directions home), 100 km mixed surface is nothing to take lightly. Riders should be confident with riding 2.5-3.5 hours without breaks and self-supported (water and food).

For those looking for something special, I'm sure a couple hill climbs and sprint jersey's will be locally sponsored.

As usual, there will be a BBQ and drinks post ride.

UPDATE

Departure Time: 9:00 am

Departure Location: Metro Parking Lot at the Corner of Upper Gage and Fennel Avenue in Hamilton. Keep it consistent to years past.

Post Ride BBQ: Just around the corner. I will supply the eating supplies (chips, pre-made salads and burger/sausages). Unless you have a special dietary restriction. Bring a cooler with a couple cold beers or your beverage of choice.

July 2010
    https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...lton+endurance

July 2009

July 2008

May 2008

Typical ride photos

100% riding, no hike-a-bike

Couple twists, that will straighten out

Where is this 'ridable' trial

Get me food

Done

Anymore beer?
    Last edited by CptSydor; 05-25-2011 at 10:33 AM.

bi-winning
    Hmm, I had Kingston OMC 2 penciled in on my calendar. This may change my plans. You've gIven me plenty of time to think about it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

GAME ON!
    hmm, can't say i'll give it a go this year.

Evil Jr.
    Penciled-in!

I assume it's OK if Mrs. Monster joins us later for the BBQ?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    We might have to have a singlespeed category?

Yeah, Mrs Monster is welcome to join us at the BBQ.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Hmm, I had Kingston OMC 2 penciled in on my calendar. This may change my plans. You've gIven me plenty of time to think about it.
    I was thinking about doing the Kingston race as well. However, its much better to ride with a group of friends then to suffer alone at a race. Price is right too.

Pencil me in pending lightening storm.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Welcome to the world of Free events.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I will have a look at the family calendar tonight and hopefully this day is clear. This annual classic is always lot's of fun with the craziest weather and unpredictable events usually involving Moote (the classic Moote climb). Also RKJ and I spraining ankle and the group riding thrue crazy rain starting at Fruitland road...Always a good time!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion
    I was thinking about doing the Kingston race as well. However, its much better to ride with a group of friends then to suffer alone at a race. Price is right too.

Pencil me in pending lightening storm.
    Though I heard great things about the Kingston race last year, it's undeniable that H.E.R. provides much better value. It's really no contest at all. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll be in Hamilton for the ride.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member

Kingston is great indeed...

That trail system is one of a kind I think.

Almost no climbing at all but an amazing mixture of everything. Last year I did the half and my only complaint was the shortness of the course. It was less than 27k so it was short.

That race is one of my must do race of the season for sure.

Never rode more than 50k on one day so 100k would be too much for me anyway...

Sounds like a huge bag of fun and suffering at the same time.

Though I heard great things about the Kingston race last year, it's undeniable that H.E.R. provides much better value. It's really no contest at all. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll be in Hamilton for the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was going to ask my wife tonight if it was OK to do this ride however when I looked at the calendar I remembered that her birthday is July 17th . I am lucky that she have no interest in mtb forum because this would cost me.

GAME ON!
    the kingston marathon sounds fun. if this ride was more like 50-60k i'd be interested, but when i did 80+ last year, it wasn't fun by the end. also, i ended up slowing everyone else down.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    the kingston marathon sounds fun. if this ride was more like 50-60k i'd be interested, but when i did 80+ last year, it wasn't fun by the end. also, i ended up slowing everyone else down.
    The HED is also very close to my Wife's birthday so I may have to realisticallty not expect to do it due to my projected hangover. However, if I go we can battle for the red lantern...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

GAME ON!
    i'd likely have to build up a more suitable bike. a 5"/6" fully may not be the most efficient ride.

veldrijder
    Interested! I guess I should ride my mtb at some point this year

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    Interested! I guess I should ride my mtb at some point this year
    Although you would kick butt down by the lake on your TT bike!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    We might have to have a singlespeed category?

Yeah, Mrs Monster is welcome to join us at the BBQ.

I think you will have a SS category of at least 2, as I have just put this in the calendar. If Biggie is not too hung over, we can have a category of 3.

As I am amongst the uninitiated for this ride, can someone pm me with when, where and what to bring. Thanks in advance.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    I think you will have a SS category of at least 2, as I have just put this in the calendar. If Biggie is not too hung over, we can have a category of 3.

As I am amongst the uninitiated for this ride, can someone pm me with when, where and what to bring. Thanks in advance.
    It could be a SS category of 3! Seeing as I'm the only one having completed every version, a new challenge might be in order! I'll probably chicken out however.

I'll post the exact details in the future. We've met at 9:00 am for all the other versions of the ride and that won't change. I'm still ironing out a start location to best serve the BBQ needs. That will all be posted a week in advance.

As for what to bring, it's just like a self supported long ride. We are likely to hit a water fountain at 2 hours, 3.5 hours, then a convenience store at 5.5 hours (or some combination of that). Ride is likely to last 7 hours assuming jmoote doesn't cause too many delays! Best bet is to carry enough water to last 3 hours minimum and enough food for the day (1500 - 2500 calories).

Oh and a cooler with a couple cold beers doesn't hurt!

mtbr member
    UPDATE

Departure Time: 9:00 am

Departure Location: Metro Parking Lot at the Corner of Upper Gage and Fennel Avenue in Hamilton. Keep it consistent to years past.

Post Ride BBQ: Just around the corner. I will supply the eating supplies (chips, pre-made salads and burger/sausages). Unless you have a special dietary restriction. Bring a cooler with a couple cold beers or your beverage of choice.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post

Did a training ride yesterday, will certainly attempt to be in your party of three. GM better not berate me when the Old Fat Bastahd(OFB) starts to self destruct!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Did a training ride yesterday, will certainly attempt to be in your party of three. GM better not berate me when the Old Fat Bastahd(OFB) starts to self destruct!
    Please don't call me an OFB...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I am in fo sho if I am in town..... but I probably won't be in town that weekend.....

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    I'll just taunt you with a bag of onion rings and ketchup Doritos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Hot damn! Onion rings and ketchup [email protected]#[email protected] I think Superfly Craig and I are in!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I was thinking more of a big bowl to mix Onion Rings and Ketchup with Late Night Cheeseburger for the Dundas Monstercross Carbo Loading.

mtbr Decade+
    SS training began today. One hour intense ride followed by two quickly chugged Sleeman followed by kids' soccer...

It felt nice getting out on my Dissent Fe...

mtbr member
    I would love to do this again. I missed out last year. Add another SS to the list.

mtbr member
    UPDATE:

Ride is still on. However I've been waiting on a closing date, so I am going to move the start point of the ride (since I no longer live in that area)

We are now departing from the Cafe Domestique parking lot (public, free parking Sundays). 9:00 am departure still (that's a departure, not arrival!)

http://www.cafedomestique.com/

King St West and Millers Lane in Dundas.

Our last section of ride will be a descent now!

Also, unfortunately my current living situation prevents me from hosting a post ride BBQ. However, we'll be in close vicinity of a couple great pubs with outdoor patios. Bring a change of cloths, loads of axe and we'll head for a pint/grub apres ride.

Evil Jr.
    If it's ending at Domestique, we could easily host the BBQ at our house. We're only 2 minutes (uphill) from there and we have a huge grill.

mtbr member
    If it's ending at Domestique, we could easily host the BBQ at our house. We're only 2 minutes (uphill) from there and we have a huge grill.
    If you are prepared to host, I will provide the BBQables, sides, some plates and a cooler full of beer.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    If you are prepared to host, I will provide the BBQables, sides, some plates and a cooler full of beer.
    Sounds awesome. Then I get some of the fun too!

veldrijder
    I will plan on being there well in advance of the 9 am departure for some pre-ride hot beverages at Domestique (can one of you locals confirm they are open early enough? 8 am?)

This sounds excellent. Thanks for offering to host the post ride festivities, monsters.

mtbr member
    The facebook page says 9:00 am on Sat/Sun. However, every time I've met there for a weekend ride at 9:00 am, they have been open already. But I cannot say anything 100%

And Jeff, got a working MTB? Will it survive?

Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    I will plan on being there well in advance of the 9 am departure for some pre-ride hot beverages at Domestique (can one of you locals confirm they are open early enough? 8 am?)

This sounds excellent. Thanks for offering to host the post ride festivities, monsters.

veldrijder
    And Jeff, got a working MTB? Will it survive?
    Yes and maybe, respectively. I'll be doing what I can to ensure the latter!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Sounds awesome. Then I get some of the fun too!
    And the best part too...food and (ginger) ale.

Judging by the count it looks like we'll have an SS cat. of about 7-8 deep including myself.

I'm sure Mr. Moote's bike will be fine [read:lets not jinx it]

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    And the best part too...food and (ginger) ale.
    Or [root] beer!

Tonic and tonic is surprisingly refreshing!

mtb wipeout king
    this is why i really hate being a shift worker, I get to miss out on all the fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Have fun guys! I really wish I could be there but I will be driving back from our vacation in La Belle Province. Looking forward to read about Moote's Hamilton adventure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I may be able to talk Krys into an 8am opening if enough people are interested!

cheers

phil
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Lemmy Rules!
    Sadly, at this point, my attendance is iffy. If I'm not there for 9, you guys should not wait for me because it probably means I am not coming. Fair?
    Strava made me do it....

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep View Post
    I may be able to talk Krys into an 8am opening if enough people are interested!

cheers

phil
    I like this idea.

Evil Jr.
    I like this idea.
    +1! Krys is the best!

mtbr member
    I'd be in for a beverage and a pre-ride cookie if it's open.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    on it... he said no problem.

consider it done!

8am meet time @ Domestique for pre-ride caffeination
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep View Post
    on it... he said no problem.
    Sa-weeet! I love to start my rides of with a pot of coffee.
    Gets me amp'd

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Count me in :-)))

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hello,

Is this open to anyone? A guy told me this was a great time so I am just making sure all is cool.

Thanks,
    Ian.

mtbr member
    Yep, open to everyone, just a bunch of people out for a ride, maybe following me. Most are friendly

Just make sure you have looked at the description, previous threads and are ready/prepared/thought about what kinda mess you could be getting yourself into (and I'm talking about the roadies crashing into you!).

Quote Originally Posted by eongt5 View Post
    Hello,

Is this open to anyone? A guy told me this was a great time so I am just making sure all is cool.

Thanks,
    Ian.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey, thanks. Found it on facebook so I will take it from there. See you Sunday, looking forward to it!

E..

veldrijder
    (and I'm talking about the roadies crashing into you!).
    If it makes anyone feel better, I'm doing the HCC TT the morning prior and spending Saturday night at a reunion of sorts with my university friends so I anticipate having to ride a little more laid back than my usual self which is probably a good thing for this ride.

mtbr member
    Proposed Route

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/41189332/

The map is not accurate for distance however, most of the 'off road' doesn't portray the contours we'll be following. If we ride this entire route, it will be closer to 120 km.

As with last year, we'll head east to start the ride. We'll be hitting much of the 'inner' city Hamilton singletrack this year. A large portion I've never included before and the other stuff most people have ridden the other way.

This also guarantees that we ride the bruce trail out to Dewitt road (something that was left out 2 years ago, but is some of the best riding in the area) This also means a couple extra escarpment ascents

We'll then have a nice leisurely paceline along the water front before ascending up King Rd into Waterdown (This would be a hard category 4 or easy cat 3 climb, based on the stats, for those Tour followers).

After Waterdown, we'll be about 80 km into the ride. At this point we'll be very close to the cars for those wishing to call it quits, but the strong men and women will continue on into the Valley for a bit more climbing, including the headwaters trail, up the steep way.

Finishing will be through some stellar ridging running singletrack.

If people are interested, there will be a King of Mountains category. (No green jersey, that's a little too difficult I found last time)

1st climb will be a little teaser. Mt Albion road starting underneath the Red Hill Parkway. (5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points awarded)

2nd climb will be King Rd from the North Service Red light
    (10, 8, 6, 4, 2 points awarded)

3rd Climb will be Headwaters trail starting from the beginning of Gravel Pit road.
    (10, 8, 6, 4, 2 points awarded)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Two more from London!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
    Two more from London!
    Giddy up, might be more people from the London area then Hamilton!

Evil Jr.
    The more, the merrier. By my count, there's still lots of room on the grill.

mtbr member
    After taking off my socks and consulting the various social and main stream media outlets, I've concluded that the ride should be approaching, if not exceeding 20 people.

That number is large enough that if we leave, loose or abandon anyone, I feel in a court of law or to family/friends/police I could comfortably plead ignorance. Sorry Nerdgirl, I didn't know GarageMonster came along! Can we start the BBQ anyway?

Seriously though, I'll have to play serious, unofficial organizer and have a good chat before leaving about group riding etiquette and making sure people make turns. We might even need a unofficial, official sweep.

Evil Jr.
    I'm confident I could find my way home no matter where you drop me.

There will be plenty of people along that know the area well enough to sweep. I'd do it but last time I did, it wasn't very popular with one of the riders.

mtbr member
    I'm confident I could find my way home no matter where you drop me.

There will be plenty of people along that know the area well enough to sweep. I'd do it but last time I did, it wasn't very popular with one of the riders.

This is a no drop ride, but if it's too inconvenient to drag the body out to the road....

And is this kinda like having the government/monarchy all on the same flight? If this ride goes sour, we might be loosing the largest brain trust of local trail knowledge.

I also take pride however and hope that there are a few people, such as yourself I might show a new piece of trail to. I did it with Lukey, that was an accomplishment. (edit: And I know I will be shown or advised of a couple better options as well)

veldrijder
    We can't see it unless we are "friends" with you on mapmyride.

mtbr member
    We can't see it unless we are "friends" with you on mapmyride.
    Made it 'public', hope it works now.

veldrijder
    I think it worked, but now that we are friends I can't say for sure if the others can see it.

The nice thing about the route starting/ending where it does and the direction of travel is I think we cover some of the easier but more fun trail at the end, if I understand correctly. The last really tough stuff should be in Waterdown, yes?

Evil Jr.
    The nice thing about the route starting/ending where it does and the direction of travel is I think we cover some of the easier but more fun trail at the end, if I understand correctly. The last really tough stuff should be in Waterdown, yes?
    There's some pretty physical riding throughout the ride but other than running up through the Chedoke golf course, we have it pretty easy for a while at the start.

veldrijder
    All downhill from the last KOM to the finish too, more or less.

mtbr member
    The easy part is going to be riding along the waterfront! Everywhere else has unique challenges.

I did the first section ( up to km 12) on Saturday with a guy that races at the World Cups. It wasn't race pace for me (and certainly not for him), but I would classify it as very brisk, especially for group ride standards and we took approaching an hour. There are some great sections of trail right through the heart of the Central/East end that are very 'escarpment' in nature. They are definitely new to this ride.

From km 13 to 19, I've 'time trailed' this and that is approaching an hour at a good clip.

We are looking at 2.5 hours minimum (guessing closer to 3) to km 19 with some solid trail.

The climb up King rd is going to be a pain. From there, the steep pitches of Waterdown will kick in. After Waterdown, there will be some more 'escarpment' riding. Once in the valley, technically things will get simpler and at this point, it's a pretty easy out if people need to. The last little bit is some nice singletrack, which will hurt after the long day.

And if we are really frisky, a final ascent up the escarpment and a Filman road descent could be thrown in to test your rocky, descending abilities under exhausted conditions!

mtbr member
    All downhill from the last KOM to the finish too, more or less.
    More or less, but still a fair bit of riding. There will be up and down singletrack, and a partial climb back up the escarpment. Funny enough, even though we are finishing in Dundas, we'll actually have a little pain of climb right at the end. Just a little one though.

Evil Jr.
    Funny enough, even though we are finishing in Dundas, we'll actually have a little pain of climb right at the end. Just a little one though.
    Pfft, you have a bunch of stacked tough climbs in the last 5km alone!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I did the first section ( up to km 12) on Saturday with a guy that races at the World Cups. It wasn't race pace for me (and certainly not for him), but I would classify it as very brisk, especially for group ride standards and we took approaching an hour.
    Am I mistaken in thinking that the first part of the ride is on the rail trail? I was playing with the idea of tagging along for the first 30-60 minutes, depending on what you have planned.

mtbr member
    Am I mistaken in thinking that the first part of the ride is on the rail trail? I was playing with the idea of tagging along for the first 30-60 minutes, depending on what you have planned.
    Yeah, a little mistaken, you could follow us on the rail trail, spying us through the trees for the first 12 km.

We'll cross over the 403, climb up to the Clubhouse, head East, but one past the falls (before Dundurn) head into the trail. Follow the trail, under the stairs, around the new Condo Development, up to Beckett drive. Ascend to W5, but then come immediately back down to St. Joe's along side the Claremont/W5 access. Down Charlton, back onto the paved rail trail, but once across Wentworth st, we'll dive back into the singletrack and follow that until the singletrack ends and meets the paved trail again to get across the Kennilworth Access. Follow the paved paved to the Kennilworth Stairs, where we'll then follow more singletrack all the way into King's forest. Once into Kings Forest, we'll ascent back up to Scenic Drive on trail, then around Albion Falls, and back into the other Side of Kings forest.

Does that even make sense? But yeah, we'll be skirting in and out of trail once we hit the Clubhouse.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    yeah, we'll be skirting in and out of trail once we hit the Clubhouse.
    Hmm. I'm actually a little more intrigued by singletrack than rail trail, but on my SS, I suspect it'll take me at least half an hour to get to the clubhouse. Perhaps a nice ride in the Valley is on my sched. Or gardening. I'll just make Mr. Monster take me on the new bits on our own time!

mtbr member
    Just a friendly reminder, though I am not organizing or leading this ride , given the current forecast of 33 and sunny, be well prepared on the water front.

I would say 2.5 L minimum carrying capacity if that forecast is met.

Some form of electrolyte supplement, in the form of drink or tablets to ward off the cramping (well maybe not all of it, but the lying on the ground squealing cramping).

1200-1500 calories of easily digestible food as well, plus a some extra dollars for stops.

Saturday I think I will deliver some emergency water supplies to a couple more remote locations.

Evil Jr.
    I would say 2.5 L minimum carrying capacity if that forecast is met.
    I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I heard the forecast. Great big Camelback for me (as much as I hate riding with one, I hate cramping and hallucinating more).

mtbr member
    I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I heard the forecast. Great big Camelback for me (as much as I hate riding with one, I hate cramping and hallucinating more).
    Yep, don't like them either and rarely ride with one, but I'll be trucking a 2.5L bladder and 1.5 L in bottles, sherpa style.

veldrijder
    I can realistically carry 2 L in 3 bottles. I'd prefer more frequent stops to refill than carrying more (if the route allows) and of course these should be kept brief and only to fill water, not stop and eat a bar or socialize as we might at the other planned stops.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    If it was 25-27, I'd be all over 3 bottles as well, but at 33, I won't be able to afford to ration the water as I'll be sweating like a...insert your favorite analogy, I won't offend anyone. 33 is about as hot as we see around here we have few opportunities to ride 100+ km enduros in that weather.

The current route will have us at no possibility for water until we exit at Dewitt Rd. Like I mentioned previously, that is likely going to be in the 3 hr range.

We'll be able to top up just before we climb King Rd, but once in Waterdown, we'll have a bit of time till we stop at a Country Market at the top of Sydenham. From there, we'll be able to fill water once more in Dundas, but no food.

I'm going to selectively place some water Saturday. My goal is not to rely on this, cause if it is 33, I suspect we'll be running out. We've had that issue in previous rides that required sharing, and it's never been close to that hot.

Ultimately it's your call, you can judge better yourself, but for me, even though I don't like the hydration pack, like Garage Monster said, it's better than cramping and hallucinating. You never know when someone is going to taco a wheel and your are stuck baking in the sun for 1hr while we fix it

veldrijder
    Hydration packs do not exist in my world. I should add that I pretty much hate riding my bike during July and August, but do it anyway for some reason.

I am going to go with ~2L capacity and downing an entire bottle at each stop to (hopefully) offset the demand while riding the next leg. Not the best plan, but it'll have to do.

sock puppet
    didn't you run out of non-broken bikes?

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    didn't you run out of non-broken bikes?
    Not yet! The Superfly is still in one piece, just needs some tweaking after the last ride to dial in the shifting.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Hydration packs do not exist in my world.
    You're such a roadie! Got aero bars on that Superfly?

veldrijder
    You're such a roadie! Got aero bars on that Superfly?
    I completely agree with your first statement.

The aerobar comment reminded me of the guy I saw at P-A a couple years ago on a Trek Top Fuel with aerobars AND aero helmet grinding up the finish hill well into the 200s. Some people should really look at the big picture when considering these choices. If you're smart about drafting in that race there's no need to see much wind and therefore no benefit to the aero setup anyway.

Evil Jr.
    Riding along the lake on Sunday, I predict we'll see at least three MTBs with aero bars. Anyone wanna take me up on an over/under?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Riding along the lake on Sunday, I predict we'll see at least three MTBs with aero bars. Anyone wanna take me up on an over/under?
    Depends; do 26 inch hybrids count as mtb's?

mtbr member
    The aerobar comment reminded me of the guy I saw at P-A a couple years ago on a Trek Top Fuel with aerobars AND aero helmet grinding up the finish hill well into the 200s.
    Your 2002 P2A overall winner.

Hence, I haven`t pointed and laughed at those guys in 9 years.

Although I have wanted to.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

veldrijder
    That's my point! If you are in contention for the win you probably have to show your face to the wind at some point (the last 2 years Mike Garrigan has solo'd in from way out) so it makes at least (some) sense.

If you are going to be racing for 250th or 1034th you're doing something wrong if you have a use for the aerobars.

mtbr member
    If you are going to be racing for 250th or 1034th you're doing something wrong if you have a use for the aerobars.
    Haha, in '10 there was an absolutely massive break in the groups in the 40th place range and I somehow got caught in the middle of it... I solo'd for about the middle 30+km of the race with no one in sight ahead or behind before I got caught at Mineral Springs Rd. Just plain idiotic race tactics on my part.

Almost on topic: I will be in Grimsby Sunday, but the most riding I might get in is a few road bike grinds up McNeilly Road. Pity, I'd like to ride with you characters some time.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

veldrijder
    Actually getting back on topic: my friend Jon lives in Burlington almost on the route and has offered to stock up on some supplies (i.e. bananas, maybe some other stuff) / to provide us a place to fill our bottles rather than relying on a store/bottled water. Confirmed with CptSydor, we will be detouring only very slightly up Maple to Plains Rd and then over to King Rd in order to hit this stop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hello,

I am seeing a 9 am start time here and an 8:30 start on FB. Can you confirm the right time for me please. Thanks..

Cheers.
    Ian..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Okay, I am seeing 9 am on FB more than 8:30. See you at 8:40... Coming from near London so I have a bit of a drive..

Answered my own question..

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Your 2002 P2A overall winner.

Hence, I haven`t pointed and laughed at those guys in 9 years.

Although I have wanted to.
    I can hear the UCI luddites teeth grinding all the way from Europe when they see stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Christi Lake trail?

would we riding by this new trail system? seen another thread on here "pinecones & preserverence thread". as for singlespeeding, not sure, I've done this ride on a big hit bike a few years ago, and the last few times on a steel frame hardtail, with gears.
    Verndog

Evil Jr.
    Christie would be a bit of a detour from where we're going and we only have about 500m actually open at this point. If you want to come back in the fall, we'll be going there for sure on the Dundas Monstercross ride.

Looks like there will be a handful of single-speeders to keep the pace in check. A nice light XC bike (SS or otherwise) will be the best weapon for the day I think.

bi-winning
    Looks like there will be a handful of single-speeders to keep the pace in check. A nice light XC bike (SS or otherwise) will be the best weapon for the day I think.
    Something like this would be nice. 21.6 lbs of awesome.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Your next bike?

bi-winning
    Your next bike?
    Not likely.

Evil Jr.
    Not likely.
    Should be. I could see you on that for sure. This latest batch of carbon 29er HTs is ridiculous, each weighs as much as (or less than) my blinged-out rigid SS!

All my faucets is Moen.
    It doesn't matter how light it is, you know you'll add a 7lb bike bag under the seat and strap a pump to the down tube.

Evil Jr.
    I forgot to mention that there's a very good chance that we'll have celebrity guests at the BBQ: everyone's favourite IMBA Trail Care Crew, Chad and Deanne. They'll be off-duty though (and probably pretty pooped from working the Kelso festival all weekend) so don't spend all your time peppering them with questions about trail building!

veldrijder
    Confirmed for our Burlington rest stop:
    • gatorade
    • coke
    • bananas
    • chocolate chip cookies

I would not base your entire nutrition strategy on this, but I think it will be a very welcome anti-bonk measure near the halfway point.

mtbr member
    Confirmed for our Burlington rest stop:
    • gatorade
    • coke
    • bananas
    • chocolate chip cookies

I would not base your entire nutrition strategy on this, but I think it will be a very welcome anti-bonk measure near the halfway point.
    And what are we bringing in return besides a bunch of sweating, stinky people?

I'm about to head out shopping for the BBQ, and I'm still going to place a couple jugs of water at 'halfway' to nowhere spots. Just in case, hopefully only need it top up.

mtbr member
    Well, shopping is done.

Just a simple collection of burgers, hot dogs, sausages, a couple pre-made salads and cookies. Nothing fancy, but then again, after a ride like this, people tend to eat like ducks, no chewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWoOJ5_nZ8

Most importantly however, I have a wide and vast array of Dorritos. I don't think I'm a connoisseur like some around here, so I just bought whatever I saw. As with past rides, I expect a bag to last no more than 30 seconds. So we have about 3 minutes worth of chips.

Oh, and I obtained a very eclectic mix of beer/beverages. There are some classic german beer, some new wave canadian stuff, things that have green apple, or tea flavoring, a raddler and everything offered by Creemore.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Awesome! Who wouldn't want to go on this ride?
    Too bad the corn isn't ready yet!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Well, shopping is done.

Just a simple collection of burgers, hot dogs, sausages, a couple pre-made salads and cookies. Nothing fancy, but then again, after a ride like this, people tend to eat like ducks, no chewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWoOJ5_nZ8

Most importantly however, I have a wide and vast array of Dorritos. I don't think I'm a connoisseur like some around here, so I just bought whatever I saw. As with past rides, I expect a bag to last no more than 30 seconds. So we have about 3 minutes worth of chips.

Oh, and I obtained a very eclectic mix of beer/beverages. There are some classic german beer, some new wave canadian stuff, things that have green apple, or tea flavoring, a raddler and everything offered by Creemore.
    Well done Jeffrey, well done.
    See you all on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Who wouldn't want to go on this ride?
    Too bad the corn isn't ready yet!
    Yeah that would be awesome.

I bought 3 L of cherries at the farmers market, but those are all mine.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Problem

Hydration packs do not exist in my world. I should add that I pretty much hate riding my bike during July and August, but do it anyway for some reason.

I am going to go with ~2L capacity and downing an entire bottle at each stop to (hopefully) offset the demand while riding the next leg. Not the best plan, but it'll have to do.
    Solution,

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/844591/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post

that is SO HIDEOUS!!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    that is SO HIDEOUS!!

- No one specified it had to look good.

-If it's stupid and ugly yet works. Then it is not stupid and ugly.

- If one is worried about how it looks. Then yuo are in the wrong sport. Might I suggest Goffe instead?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    - No one specified it had to look good.

-If it's stupid and ugly yet works. Then it is not stupid and ugly.

- If one is worried about how it looks. Then yuo are in the wrong sport. Might I suggest Goffe instead?

If it isn't stupid and ugly, why have I not seen anyone with one before? A water bottle and actual hydration packs work just fine. That thing is just stupid and ugly. And of course looks matter.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If it isn't stupid and ugly, why have I not seen anyone with one before? A water bottle and actual hydration packs work just fine. That thing is just stupid and ugly.
    LOL

Hydration packs are not aero enough.

It's a radical idea. And since it is radical no one in cycling would create it or use it. I know of tri types who will use it. But those will be the tri geeks who think that a 1.5k swim 40k bike and 10k run is just a warm up.

Though I see one potential use. That would be in winter for obvious reasons.

And of course looks matter.
    Sorry Linda.. I'm not a OCA do my socks match type. I'm the old school tri nerd, MTB, and Alpine type. More worried about being fast and having fun.

Besides at NOTL every Sept it was fun stomping people on their good looking bikes while they where wearing good looking kit.

mtbr member
    Well, if the goal was to annihilate a group of riders, that was successful (well, I would say the heat did the majority of it).

Here are some highlights.

1) We started with 21 riders and quickly picked up 22.

2) The first 3 flats (within the first 3 hours) were all Garage Monster. Two after that.

3) Two snapped derailleur hangers (same guy, who had a spare). The SS conversion didn't work well and he was the first casualty to limp home on the road.

4) There was one bent derailleur hanger, that caused someone to limp home halfway through.

5) Someone tore the sole off their shoe.

6) I never actually put in the emergency water, and it was needed. I shared my camelback (as did others) with half the ride.

7) The first section of escarpment trail (essentially from Downtown to dewitt road) was killer, and a portion new to everyone but me and Lukey.

8) Convenience Stores are air conditioned.

9) Crazy ladies with dogs on the waterfront don't like it not matter how slow you ride past their unleashed dogs.

10) Jon who provided the halfway retreat is awesome. Never seen a group of adults play with hose so much.

11) King road, 2:30 pm, is like liquid tarmac. Ever try climbing when your tires are sticking to the pavement?

12) Waterdown claimed one more rider who had to bail halfway through.

13) thedumbopinion had the best superman imitation. His helmet survived a battle with a tree and overpass today.

14) Beer is tasty.

Overall, I think we ended up with about 75 km of riding. Though the first section was a lot more technical that has been previously ridden on the endurance ride. Given the mechanicals, it was just hard to get a lot of km ridden, though realistically, the pace, given the heat was pretty good for most people.

I felt pretty good on the bike, but once the ride was over felt like I was an 85 year old man made to do hard labour in the sun all day.

I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 07-17-2011 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A gigantic thankyou Cpt'n for making all the arrangements,
    and especially the BBQ ( thank you GM and K) for hosting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So it would appear that the "updated" opening post wasn't so up to date. We waited at the Metro until 9:40, loaded up and went riding in St-Catherines (since we knew those trails but not the ones in Hamilton).

Next year though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Great ride everyone! Man it was scorching out there.

Many thanks to all who provided food and drinks both at the midway stop and the post ride BBQ
    Here's our route from today.

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/99946943'></iframe>

Nice to meet you all; looking forward to the next one

cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
    So it would appear that the "updated" opening post wasn't so up to date. We waited at the Metro until 9:40, loaded up and went riding in St-Catherines (since we knew those trails but not the ones in Hamilton).

Next year though!

So sorry. I am unsure why, but I couldn't edit the original post anymore, thought this might happen, but was hoping people would read through the entire thread.

bi-winning
    So sorry. I am unsure why, but I couldn't edit the original post anymore, thought this might happen, but was hoping people would read through the entire thread.
    The forum only allows you a limited amount of time to edit a post. I think the window is something like 30 days. Sorry you missed out Yanner.

bi-winning
    A big thanks to all that made this ride happen. Cpt, monsters, Jon, guests, you helped make this a smokin' good time.

I was aiming to get pictures up tonight, but my 5 year old laptop was being a royal POS.

More tomorrow.
    Last edited by rkj__; 07-17-2011 at 07:35 PM.

shawker
    Nov 2005
    Excellent ride. A huge thanks to all who contributed. An awesome day.

Thanks again.

mtbr member

Another GPS track

Phil -- you beat me to it! For what it's worth, I'd link to my GPS track too, but since I just joined MTBR.com as a suer a few seconds ago, they won't let me post links. If people are overwhelmingly curious, go to everytrail.com and search for "hamilton enduro".

mtbr member
    Oh, and great ride today everyone. That was some hard-core effort from every rider. For those who didn't bring 10+ litres of fluids -- are your organs hurting yet?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
    Oh, and great ride today everyone. That was some hard-core effort from every rider. For those who didn't bring 10+ litres of fluids -- are your organs hurting yet?

It was hot every where today. Circlip is more likely laughing at that.

Just discovered this tonight as couldn't get the flavoured stuff.. Coconut water mixed with frozen juice is outfracking standing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey, thanks again for a great day.

Wished I felt better after that killer last climb though. Just making it back to the truck after I bailed at snake road was hard enough. By the way,my Garmin clocked us at 83.1 km on that one fast downhill when we smelt the burning brakes. LOL.. Just before the store stop..

Cheers, and thanks again for a great day!!

C Ya Next Year,
    Ian..

Single speed

Epic!

Awesome ride!
    Technically challenging, physically challenging, and mentally challenging.

I loved riding the rocks, even though I didn't clean most of the stuff.

Tough climbs maximized the sufferfest.

Sweet downhills made up for the hiking ups.

Thanks goes out to everyone who contributed their time to a great day on 2 wheels. CptSydor, garage monster, Nerdgirl, Jon

Great to meet all who made it out to the ride.

And thanks for putting up the GPS maps allowing me to meet up with the ride 20 minutes in.

Here are the pics I got @ the pit stop.

Hope to see everyone on many more ride in the future.

Evil Jr.
    Outstanding day! Apparently that heat was some sort of record and CBC says that with the humidex, it felt something like 42 out. I'm a little hazy today. Might be the heat, might be the beer...

Thanks to Cpt Sydor for choosing a great route that showed me a lot of new bits of trail and to Jon for opening his garage to a sweaty bunch of miscreants!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Thank god for my helmet. Found a small dent and a big scuff in the temple area. I guess I hit the tree with the side of my head. All is good now though and I feel loads better then when I was talking to Marc while walking that climb. I thought I was done at that point.

I was going to post something last night but I was too tired to think, and too sore to stretch my arms out to the keyboard. I hurt everywhere. Laying in bed last night never felt so good. I think I blacked out in about 8 seconds, new record. When I woke up I had a considerable less amount of pain but a few more bruises and a bit stiff. Somehow this only adds to the awesomeness of the day.

I too am hazy today but what a great adventure. Those trails are so much fun I will have to make it back soon to ride them again.

Thanks CptSydor for not only organizing and leading the ride but supplying beer and food for after. To GM and NG for hosting but especially NG who cooked all the food and refused to let anyone near her grill. And to Jon for the mid way rest station. When that fridge opened and I saw the Coke and Gatorade I shed tears of joy. What a beautiful sight.

Nice riding out there everyone.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    To GM and NG for hosting but especially NG who cooked all the food and refused to let anyone near her grill.
    Well, I couldn't do the manly ride, so I had to at least do the manly grilling! Plus I think you guys would have melted into little puddles if you'd gotten any closer to the red-hot charcoal. It's always the most brutal rides that are most memorable, eh? If you don't smack your head that is. While I was sweating in the garden, I couldn't believe you guys were actually riding. Positively Voigt-like. Kudos to the two ladies who manned up for the ride too!

Evil Jr.
    I feel loads better then when I was talking to Marc while walking that climb. I thought I was done at that point.
    Being the autobus driver is always an interesting spot. People got on and off throughout the ride. Lots of pain-cave faces once we hit Waterdown but luckily, everyone brought their suitcases of courage with them!

mtbr member
    Positively Voigt-like. Kudos to the two ladies who manned up for the ride too!
    First time there have been ladies on the ride. Given how they rode (and complained the least!), maybe the guys womaned up!

Louda was up at the front pushing the pace most of the time. I know she's a great rider, but I think it was mostly cause everyone else was carrying her water

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
    Two back to back posts from a forum newb? Someone's trying to get their posts up I see.

bi-winning
    More pictures, as promised.

I've tried to capture the flavour of the ride the best I could in ~30 pictures. I'll have a more inclusive album of pictures on facebook shortly.

bi-winning
    As promised. I've posted 80+ pictures on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4&l=466596237a

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanstrive View Post
    Two back to back posts from a forum newb? Someone's trying to get their posts up I see.
    You bet! And thanks for giving me a reason to fire off post #3!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    First time there have been ladies on the ride. Given how they rode (and complained the least!), maybe the guys womaned up!

Louda was up at the front pushing the pace most of the time. I know she's a great rider, but I think it was mostly cause everyone else was carrying her water
    Busted!!!!

Thanks for going out on such a wicked ride and letting us follow and post ride fuel And big thanks to Jon for the pitstop refreshers, GM for sweeping, Nerdgirl for BBQ, and everyone else who I mooched water off of!!!

mtbr member
    If it wasn't for those orange bottles, I would have been so colour coordinated with my bike. Epic ride fail.

Evil Jr.
    I've tried to capture the flavour of the ride the best I could in ~30 pictures. I'll have a more inclusive album of pictures on facebook shortly.
    I think as a fraction of the ride, you probably could have included at least one more of my flats but great job none the less!

All my faucets is Moen.
    BTW, +1 rep power all around for those on this ride.

mtbr member
    Here Louda is putting on a little show for the boys with the hose. Look at them being all attentive. Phil is looking like he's seen a miracle.

Holly = Determination. She is the definition of 'Commit or Eat $hit'

mtbr member

Good job!

Holly = Determination. She is the definition of 'Commit or Eat $hit'

I would have to agree. Holly did a 50km, 5 hour ride in Waterdown on Saturday too, simply because her dad was in town and needed to see the trails. (He's a pretty hardcore rider...did the TransRockies etc., and she got him to bonk on the climbs!) Then she did the Hamilton Enduro Sunday. That makes a pretty solid weekend once you start to add it all up. Harder still with one shoe.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by lukey View Post
    I would have to agree. Holly did a 50km, 5 hour ride in Waterdown on Saturday too, simply because her dad was in town and needed to see the trails. (He's a pretty hardcore rider...did the TransRockies etc., and she got him to bonk on the climbs!) Then she did the Hamilton Enduro Sunday. That makes a pretty solid weekend once you start to add it all up. Harder still with one shoe.
    Yup, Holly gets my vote for MVP. She seemed to get stronger as the day went on as well.

mtbr member

Ride Report

In the name of completing unfinished business, I tackled the route again (except, I rode it in the clockwise direction just for a bit of a fresh look at things).

I think I took a few minor liberties with the course, but stuck to the route closely as I could.

The daytime temperatures were pretty hot again. The most disgusting thing was that by the end of the ride, I truly looked like I had been sanding drywall all day -- dried salt in huge amounts. Yuck.

Overall, it's a bit of an evil route. It's 30% paved, 30% easy trail and 30% technical. Tire pressures and even bike choice are at best a total compromise.

Just for kicks, I loaded the track into TopoFusion and did the analysis for the computed "effort index" which scores length, elevation, grade and other factors into one overall number. The Hamilton Enduro scores a "52.4". Paul's Dirty 100 scores a "57.1", so they are really pretty close.

Here is is:

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/103001482'></iframe>

Members who have read this thread: 0