Hamilton Boy Seriously Injured In Car-Bike Collision- Mtbr.com
    Evil Jr.

Hamilton Boy Seriously Injured In Car-Bike Collision

On the heels of those other recent "old people hitting cyclists" stories (my bolding):

Quote Originally Posted by The Spec
    A 10-year-old Hamilton boy is in critical condition after being trapped under a car which knocked him off his bicycle as he crossed on a green light.

The boy suffered life-threatening injuries when he was hit and dragged under a car at Limeridge Road West and Garth Street Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. He is in McMaster Children’s Hospital

The 82-year-old Hamilton woman driving the car was not injured in the crash. She was interviewed and then driven home by police.

Sergeant Terri-Lynn Collings said the boy was riding eastbound across Garth Street in the crosswalk, on a green light. The car was traveling west bound on Limeridge, she said, and turned left onto Garth,

“The cyclist was knocked down and dragged under the vehicle a short distance,” she said in a statement.

“Witnesses alerted the driver to stop.”

The trapped child was freed by bystanders who ran to the scene, police and emergency services crews.

Collings said the collision is still under investigation by the police collision reconstruction unit and any witnesses police have not spoken to are asked to contact Detective Constable Steve Ellis
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

GAME ON!
    i'm going to state the obvious and say that 82-year-old drivers are not anywhere near as observant as they need be. i hope the boy was at least wearing a helmet, although it doesn't sound like it would have made a difference.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

X-Ray Guy
    I happened to be there just after it happened. It was quite the scene, tons of police paramedics and few ambulances. Interesection was closed for at least 3 hrs. I wasnt aware of what actually had happened, i was in town visiting a friend. Very tragic, its a relatively safe interesection. It has a 3 way light system. South then North and East West lighting system. Hope the kid comes back well.

namagomi
    It seems like just last week i was posting in here about a 70 ish waterloo(?) man who ran down two cyclists and left the scene.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I'm awaiting the " How dare the kid ride in the Crosswalk" angry idjits crank over the Whine-O-Meter to a high pitch.

X-Ray Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I'm awaiting the " How dare the kid ride in the Crosswalk" angry idjits crank over the Whine-O-Meter to a high pitch.
    No the victim is too young for that....he would have be at least 16 or older to enter the reckless bike riding. If you over 50, you could be riding a bike in your backyard and get hit by a car and then it would still be the riders fault.

I awaiting any updates on the kids condition.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Maybe the drivers Frontal Cerebral Cortex was impaired.

mtbr member
    I could be wrong, but with the aging population growing rapidly this is only going to get worse. There will be more and more old drivers who do not have what it takes to operate a vehicle safely.

I am 49 years old and I know that my reflexes and ability to stay focused when driving (or doing anything else) are not what they used to be. As a competitive athlete, it is impossible to miss the slow decline that comes with age. I hope I will be able to recognize the point when I will be a liability to myself and others, but since that is doubtful, perhaps laws should be tightened up to help me (and others) with that.

I hope the little boys comes out OK!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I could be wrong, but with the aging population growing rapidly this is only going to get worse. There will be more and more old drivers who do not have what it takes to operate a vehicle safely.

I am 49 years old and I know that my reflexes and ability to stay focused when driving (or doing anything else) are not what they used to be. As a competitive athlete, it is impossible to miss the slow decline that comes with age. I hope I will be able to recognize the point when I will be a liability to myself and others, but since that is doubtful, perhaps laws should be tightened up to help me (and others) with that.

I hope the little boys comes out OK!
    Add to this issue is the whole concept of Rights. Some where along the way we have lost the understanding that Driving is a privilege not a right.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Driving is a privilege not a right.
    thanks, dad!
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    thanks, dad!
    That is Mr Basterd to you.