Halifax - Which bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Halifax - Which bike?

I'll be in Halifax for a week later in the spring. I will have room to bring 1 bike and time for 3 or 4 half day rides.

Should I bring my mountain bike or my gravel bike? Where should I ride?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kazomado; 05-07-2017 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm...

I really enjoy mountain biking in Halifax, but it's not well signed and can be hard to find. There also isn't all that much, but what it lacks in length, it makes up for in punch. It is very technical. Trials skills are as important as cardio. An average speed of 10km/h is race pace. Trailforks, especially as you are riding I'd say is a necessity or you'll probably end up lost. Fight trail/Whopper are the classics. Not sure what Long Lake/Wrandees is like these days, but might be worth exploring. Spider Lake is the place to go on the Dartmouth side.

I'm not 100% confident in this answer, maybe 75%, but I think you'll be limited to mostly paved roads with your gravel bike. Not sure what you are looking for, but I don't think you'll be grinding too much gravel. Definitely some nice routes to take you out towards the ocean, if you are prepared to pedal.

So my answer is....if you are looking just get out and pedal/explore, check out the area, but don't mind the pavement. Gravel Bike. If you are intermediate to advanced technically and don't mind navigating through trailforks while out riding, and you want to experience some very unique riding, bring the MTB.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the information. I suppose my question is - is there enough good singer track close by to keep busy for a few half days? I would prefer to bring my mountain bike but id not I can tool around on my gravel bike explore...

D.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the information. I suppose my question is - is there enough good single track close by to keep busy for a few half days? I would prefer to bring my mountain bike but I'd also be happy tooling around on my gravel bike exploring...

D.

mtbr member
    For a few half days, no, not really, especially if you drove to the trailheads. If you rode out to the trails from downtown and rode back, you could make more of an event of it. But the trails are really only 1-1.5 hours in length, closer to 2 if you are intermediate technically (assuming you don't get lost).

I think the trails are something worth experiencing, but if your main priority is 1/2 day rides, the gravel bike is probably the better choice. But if you are just tooling around, depending on what MTB you had, you could likely tool around and hit some trail. But you are not going to find 3-4 hour MTB rides, exclusively on trail, in Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by kazomado View Post
    Thanks for the information. I suppose my question is - is there enough good single track close by to keep busy for a few half days? I would prefer to bring my mountain bike but I'd also be happy tooling around on my gravel bike exploring...

D.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Great - thanks for the insight.