half price lift tickets at blue- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Mar 2005

half price lift tickets at blue

1/2 price LIFTS @ BLUE

Mark your calendar. Blue Mt. is offering half price lift passes for Saturday, Aug 13th.
    Regular priced Adult lift passes are only $32 + tax.

Its a VPSfest day.

www.vpsfest.com/vps05/main.cfm?loc=bm

found the info at:

www.kamikazebikes.com
    Last edited by JM01; 07-21-2005 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Slightly off topic, but I've meaning to bring up the price of bikes being ridden by the under 20 crowd at Blue (and of course anwwhere else in general).

I'm in Collingwood the other weekend with my wife so we decide to sit at the base of the hill and just chill for a while. I see many bikers coming off the hill with bikes that I would say average $3k and up. Many of these people look to be under 20, if not under 15. This is of course the minority of bike owners as we're talking about blue mountain, but I guess parents supporting the cost of mountain biking is like those supporting their kids who are goalies in hockey and shell out $ on equipment. I just didn't think there were that many kids who own bikes that cost more than 3 months of my mortgage payments

Good for them though!

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    Slightly off topic, but I've meaning to bring up the price of bikes being ridden by the under 20 crowd at Blue (and of course anwwhere else in general).

I'm in Collingwood the other weekend with my wife so we decide to sit at the base of the hill and just chill for a while. I see many bikers coming off the hill with bikes that I would say average $3k and up. Many of these people look to be under 20, if not under 15. This is of course the minority of bike owners as we're talking about blue mountain, but I guess parents supporting the cost of mountain biking is like those supporting their kids who are goalies in hockey and shell out $ on equipment. I just didn't think there were that many kids who own bikes that cost more than 3 months of my mortgage payments

Good for them though!
    hey, its collingwood..after dad gets the condo, B'mer, calaways...whats left?...i was at the lift a couple of weeks ago and couldn't beleive what these kids ride. and to think they'll need bigger bikes soon. I'm in wasaga and theres a 10 year on our street riding a little stinky deelux. Seems to be a status thing...can't be riding a supercycle if your friends have turners, i guess.

glad my kid is older, i couldn't afford these new toys

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    you need to have a quality bike if you're gonna ride Blue or anywhere else for that matter. A crappy tire special just won't take the abuse a Kona or other brands will take. You have to have a bike suited to the type of riding you do....

And these days with so many bike swaps availableat seasons end or the begining of the season then its not as bad to get into a higher end mtn bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. are there lots of xc single tracks?

how good is blue mountain? Are the trails maintained? Are there alot of XC single tracks?

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    how good is blue mountain? Are the trails maintained? Are there alot of XC single tracks?
    yes...waits for the chair can be a bit long, but if you ski there, you'll be used to it

more here:

http://www.bluemountain.ca/mtnbike.htm

stay happy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    yes...waits for the chair can be a bit long, but if you ski there, you'll be used to it
    ..a bit long? ... I haven't had to wait more than 10mins for the lift in the 5 last times I've been there. They added 3 more bike carriers on the lift and it's made a huge difference, I expect lineups to be short until they stop the 7days/week operation in the fall and go to weekends only, then it'll slow down.

This past Sat I had 11 runs in by 1pm and we were taking our time ...

..and lots of singletrack but it's all pointed downhill seriously though, there are supposed to be xc trails in the woods at the top of the mountain, I know riders were taken there during some mtb classes. I've never ridden them though so if you're strictly into xc stuff I'd say save the $$ and ride 3 Stages.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    ..a bit long? ... I haven't had to wait more than 10mins for the lift in the 5 last times I've been there. They added 3 more bike carriers on the lift and it's made a huge difference, I expect lineups to be short until they stop the 7days/week operation in the fall and go to weekends only, then it'll slow down.

This past Sat I had 11 runs in by 1pm and we were taking our time ...

..and lots of singletrack but it's all pointed downhill seriously though, there are supposed to be xc trails in the woods at the top of the mountain, I know riders were taken there during some mtb classes. I've never ridden them though so if you're strictly into xc stuff I'd say save the $$ and ride 3 Stages.
    must have been a slow day, how was elvis

i've been on a trail that runs across the top and then into the fields...more of hiking trail but its used by bikers and is not posted...i access at the lookout at Swiss Meadows, you can park there, drop the bike onto the trail. and head north...going south makes for a tough climb coming back

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Actually that trail you are referring too JM is actually the Bruce hiking trail. And it is posted in places and is not open to mtn bikers

The hikers get pissed off when people ride the trail there .

But there is supposedly 10km of singletrack xc trail somewhere on Blue mountains property for riding.

Mar 2004
    Not to encourage anything, but has anyone just drive up there and ride the XC trails up there? I've seen people park their car on top of the mountain and enjoy their hike

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    why even bother to take the "gondola" ride up the mtn...why not take the 15 min and just bike up the hill. Its not very hard to do........

banned
    Mar 2005
    i think that the trail that both of us are refering to is the yellow trail at the top of the mountain here:

http://www.bluemountain.ca/pdf/Summe...rTraiMap05.pdf

have hiked extensively here for over 35 years, have recently seen many bikers, they look to be having fun and not causing problems...haven't seen any "no bikes" signs in this area, but will keep an eye out

thanks

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    why even bother to take the "gondola" ride up the mtn...why not take the 15 min and just bike up the hill. Its not very hard to do........
    because we go up a dozen times (that is 2.5 hours I would rather be bombing down)... and that does become hard to do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That's a good arrangement for the 3 blue trails at the south end, via scenic caves road, but as for the majority of the trails, they are a bit farther away; it might take more like 20-25 minutes to make the round trip. I think the product at blue would benefit from a return trail (not just a service road) graded for uphill riding, to attract those of us who are stuck on the old-school cross-country rigs. It's a perfect venue for combined uphill/downhill riding, because the escarpment just isn't that big or steep. I guess they don't care for the extra business it might bring in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. blue mountain vs hardwood hills

How good are the trails of blue mountain compared to hardwood hills??

banned
    Mar 2005
    totally different ride, hills at blue all point downhill, hardwood is more XC or trail, i guess the only hills at hardwood are in their name

check the blue mtn site for more info, but body armour and a DH or FR bike work best there

Kolapore and 3 Stage are close by, not for beginners, but more of an XC ride

there are more relaxed trails in the neighbourhood as well...more trail rides, beginner to intermediate

stay happy

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    totally different ride, hills at blue all point downhill, hardwood is more XC or trail, i guess the only hills at hardwood are in their name

check the blue mtn site for more info, but body armour and a DH or FR bike work best there

Kolapore and 3 Stage are close by, not for beginners, but more of an XC ride

there are more relaxed trails in the neighbourhood as well...more trail rides, beginner to intermediate

stay happy
    Do the blue mountain trails have big gigantic rocks or boulders? Are there steep jumps?

banned
    Mar 2005
    depends on what you consider gigantic and steep, but yes, there are some challenging sections and lots of opportunites to "feel the ride" (bring band-aids)...

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    stay happy
    Where are these trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Do the blue mountain trails have big gigantic rocks or boulders? Are there steep jumps?
    Gigantic rocks or boulders? ... I'd say no, nothing huge. As for steep jumps, there are table top jumps (no gaps so they can be rolled if you're not going too fast) sprinkled throughout the trails, for the most part you can ride around them if you're not comfortable hitting steep kickers.

I have friends that ride xc only there on Sunday and they had a blast, some rented dh rigs others rode their own bikes.

Just ride smart, if you're not sure about a section, dismount and check it out. If you're still uneasy about riding it, walk down past the section and then keep riding. Just don't get in over your head that's all, if you've been riding xc for a while you'll be fine there, maybe just not as fast as the dh'ers.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icodeit
    Where are these trails?
    see Loree Forest, Kolapore Uplands & Three Stage in that order for easy to difficult in the Blue Mountain area.

http://www.out-there.com/ton02mtb.htm

imho...