Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Guess what shop charged me $0.50 for zip ties?

14K views 188 replies 37 participants last post by  k1lluaA 
#1 ·
During my recent trip to Toronto, I picked up a few little bits and pieces from a 2 different shops, that I either didn't have time to grab here in Vancouver, or which I knew I could buy here anyhow and save the precious weight allowance for other things in my luggage to try to avoid the dreaded overweight / oversize fees from the airlines.

So, at one of these two shops I bought 2 small items worth $60 as self-serve quickies from the shelves. I also asked if they could supply me with a couple of small zip ties, one of which for tacking down a front brake hose to the fork, which I had forgotten to do before packing up the newly rebuilt bike for travel. It was looking really pretty with the lavender coloured ribbon I found in my mother apartment as a temporary fix, but I figured I needed something a bit more robust for the trails. ;)

To summarize an already long story, the shop charged me 50 cents for the two small zip ties. Quite frankly I was surprised when they charged me for them, in conjunction with the other items being purchased (would not have been so surprised with the 50 cents if that's all I went into the shop for). I just chuckled it off and thought "Whatever" to myself. They had them, I needed them so fair is fair, but it's no wonder some shops get a bad rep for silly little things like this, when instead they could have sent me out of the store thinking well of my visit there.

Sigh...

P.S. On my bill I paid them very handsomely for the other 2 items, which I would have considered to be somewhat overpriced, by much more than their cost on a couple of zip ties.

See less See more
#8 ·
shirk said:
But only because you made the flight all the way from Vancouver only to arrive when they were closed.
This post ^^^ wins so far, just not in terms of correctly identifying the shop. :thumbsup:

Nice general purpose slagfest this thread is turning into though.

#11 ·
shirk said:
Skiis and Biikes

But only because you made the flight all the way from Vancouver only to arrive when they were closed.
bro i KNOW exactly what you mean. trust me. as for cyclepath, they are on my not so good list because they installed my fork with a 180mm adapter when i only had a 160mm rotor and charged me for it!!! my new fave place is bicycle works in waterdown

#12 ·
Norcoshore1 said:
they are on my not so good list because they installed my fork with a 180mm adapter when i only had a 160mm rotor and charged me for it!!! my new fave place is bicycle works in waterdown
Is it just me or does this sound a little dangerous? :skep:

Although, I've never had any work done there, everything I've every heard about BW is positive. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Unfortunately, I am going to have to say Gears based on your location when you were hear. Would be very disappointing to hear that though being that's my main shop I deal with and they are great. Now, I have spent retarded money in there, so I wouldn't expect anything less than great service.

Now, enough with the suspense...

#17 ·
shirk said:
I bet if Circlip paid as much taxes as singlesprocket he would have gotten free gold plated zipties.
Yes, but only designated as suitable for purchase by me as their cherished customer after the LBS person had finished buffing them with a newborn baby's bare buttocks.

#18 ·
Circlip said:
Yes, but only designated as suitable for purchase by me as their cherished customer after the LBS person had finished buffing them with a newborn baby's bare buttocks.
Did you properly consult all Stakeholders and ensure the the tender process to find the right baby's buttocks was followed? Who secured the line of credit to ensure the baby's buttocks would remain smooth thru the buffing process?

Without knowing these facts we cannot completely judge all aspects of these zipties.

#24 ·
wrong!

shirk said:
Did you properly consult all Stakeholders and ensure the the tender process to find the right baby's buttocks was followed? Who secured the line of credit to ensure the baby's buttocks would remain smooth thru the buffing process?

Without knowing these facts we cannot completely judge all aspects of these zipties.
I know someone who can. Just waiting for him to finish paying his taxes because he pays the most taxes of us all, and he will chime in with surgical precision.

Game over!

#26 ·
nspace said:
I was guessing based on immediate vicinity as well. La Bicicletta is high on my list of shops I would expect that from (based on my limited experience in dealing with them since making a point to never returning).
osokolo said:
hmm, i'd take a guess, but all the shops in immediate vicinity have been covered by now...

are we at least close?
I didn't specifically say that it was local to where I was staying.

Then again, I didn't say that it wasn't local either.

I decree that the first annual Olympiad of GTA LBS Slagfestivus shall continue unabated! Bwahahahaaha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.