GTA, shops with seedy reputations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GTA, shops with seedy reputations

A friend/colleague of my wifes just had his brand new ride stolen. He was at work, the bike was locked in the supposedly secure bike compound, and the thief spent 45 mins cutting the fence to get in and grab it (security camera has it on tape).

Which shops in Toronto sell "aftermarket/used" bikes. This way I can tell him which shops to look in and see if his bike is hanging on a wall somewhere.

Thank you
    My wife thinks I am nuts for spending this much on a bike. I tell her I think I am nuts for spending that much on her Diamond ring!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ORYX
    Which shops in Toronto sell "aftermarket/used" bikes. This way I can tell him which shops to look in and see if his bike is hanging on a wall somewhere.
    I don't know it for a fact, but I really doubt that any legitimate bike shop the name of which was ever mentioned on this board would be into shady stuff like that. You make it sound like a pawn shop, where the bike would be "hanging on the wall".
    Really, think about it for a second - what bike shop would openly be re-selling stolen bikes?! That would be asking for having your business shut down, and be fined. Not to mention a ruined reputation.
    In fact, I would say that bike shops would be the first to be on the look out and to report any shady element that would try to pass a stolen bike. That's in their interest, they want to get customers to buy their new bikes, not to be afraid that their expensive ride they just forked over a bunch of cash for will end up back in the shop with swapped parts for sale as used.

Arek

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    I don't know it for a fact, but I really doubt that any legitimate bike shop the name of which was ever mentioned on this board would be into shady stuff like that. You make it sound like a pawn shop, where the bike would be "hanging on the wall".
    Really, think about it for a second - what bike shop would openly be re-selling stolen bikes?! That would be asking for having your business shut down, and be fined. Not to mention a ruined reputation.
    In fact, I would say that bike shops would be the first to be on the look out and to report any shady element that would try to pass a stolen bike. That's in their interest, they want to get customers to buy their new bikes, not to be afraid that their expensive ride they just forked over a bunch of cash for will end up back in the shop with swapped parts for sale as used.

Arek
    There are places in the GTA that do deal in 'shady' bike sales...

Edited because: "heart was in the right place, but brain was on vacation."
    Last edited by superlightracer; 06-12-2006 at 07:45 PM.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

SASQUATCH!
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    There are places in the GTA that do deal in 'shady' bike sales...

Ive heard of 'Igors' in toronto..apparently stolen bikes come through there all the time.. really shady place.

Also, theres backpeddling in Guelph, the guys who run the place seem alright, but when dealing with used bikes, you never know what goes through there... I saw a 04 sid race on sale there for 100$ before
    Superlight has something there. Igors on queen was always the first place to look-----back in the day. Seems it still is. Some things never change....

cheers
    O

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Also, theres backpeddling in Guelph, the guys who run the place seem alright, but when dealing with used bikes, you never know what goes through there... I saw a 04 sid race on sale there for 100$ before
    The beauty of the internet. People who have absolutely no clue can make baseless allegations.

Other than a very well priced fork, what possible evidence do you have to back such libellous allegations? The guys that run Backpeddling are really nice upstanding guys that I seriously doubt are intentionally buying and selling stolen goods. It seems that the good folks at Raceface, KHS, Surly and Nirve may agree with me, as Backpeddling is a dealer for those companies, as well as selling used bikes.

Seriously, think a bit before you make such potentially hurtful statements in a public forum.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    The beauty of the internet. People who have absolutely no clue can make baseless allegations.

Other than a very well priced fork, what possible evidence do you have to back such libellous allegations? The guys that run Backpeddling are really nice upstanding guys that I seriously doubt are intentionally buying and selling stolen goods. It seems that the good folks at Raceface, KHS, Surly and Nirve may agree with me, as Backpeddling is a dealer for those companies, as well as selling used bikes.

Seriously, think a bit before you make such potentially hurtful statements in a public forum.
    I didn't say they were intentionally selling stolen goods. I also mentioned they were good guys. However, like ANY used bike store, you can't rule out the possibility that stolen goods came through there. I've talked to the guys there and I have no doubt in their honesty.

However, If i had a stolen bike and I wanted to cash in, I would go to a used bike store.

If your bike was stolen, would you check a used bike store?

May 2006
    Not only are your comments possibly hurtful, theycould land you in some legal trouble. You may not have said the intentionally sell stolen bikes but you did say:
    "apparently stolen bikes come through there all the time.. really shady place". You really need some good solid proof to back up a statement like that.

Small bike shops can go out of business over false allegations. Especially ones as serious as "stolen bikes come through there all the time".

If you meant to say people who sell bikes might be unintentionally trading in stolen goods, you should have said it and left the name of the shop out. I don't know anything about the shops you named and that's the problem. You could be right, or you could just be out to hurt them (competitor, disgruntled customer, a-hole).

I know your heart was in the right place, but your brain was on vacation. You should probably post an apology. At the very least just to cover your ass.

rad to the power of sick
    Duly noted.

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by helvetica
    Not only are your comments possibly hurtful, theycould land you in some legal trouble. You may not have said the intentionally sell stolen bikes but you did say:
    "apparently stolen bikes come through there all the time.. really shady place". You really need some good solid proof to back up a statement like that.

Small bike shops can go out of business over false allegations. Especially ones as serious as "stolen bikes come through there all the time".

If you meant to say people who sell bikes might be unintentionally trading in stolen goods, you should have said it and left the name of the shop out. I don't know anything about the shops you named and that's the problem. You could be right, or you could just be out to hurt them (competitor, disgruntled customer, a-hole).

I know your heart was in the right place, but your brain was on vacation. You should probably post an apology. At the very least just to cover your ass.
    The cops even suggest on checking out some of those stores by name.
    Maybe you should apologize...
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

May 2006
    Nothing to apologize about. There is a big difference between saying "check out these shops who sell used bikes and therefore might unintentionally sell your bike, and saying stolen bikes go through there all the time..really shady place".

I want the stolen bike guys out of business as much as the next guy (I had a 1967 Camaro with 15,000 original miles on it stolen when I was in college. It was later resold to a guy who had no idea and he had to buy the car off of me again) but as a word of caution web postings are considered published and the rules of libel apply. Just be careful because you can hurt other people and yourself if your comments can't be proven.

The better way to handle it would be to give the advice of checking out shops that sell used bikes and also directing them to the cops, who according to you will give you the names of the shops that ARE selling stolen goods. Although, if the cops can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are selling stolen goods why aren't they shut down.

Just advice not a slam.

Members who have read this thread: 0