GTA, Any trails rideable this long weekend?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

GTA, Any trails rideable this long weekend?

Hey,

Anyone know of any rideable trails in the GTA? All the rain this week has probably killed the possibly of doing a little riding off road this long weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithsb1111
    Hey,

Anyone know of any rideable trails in the GTA? All the rain this week has probably killed the possibly of doing a little riding off road this long weekend.
    As of earlier today, Kelso was listed as open as of April 17th on line. I exchanged communication with Sean from Chico about Albion last week. He was going there this week to do some scouting, but I saw in another thread they are likely not open yet. Otherwise, I know some folks have been riding the Don already. Bad frost this year.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

sock puppet
    The Don was awesome as of last week... There are still some wet spots, but as long as it is let to dry after the rain - it is a go. Timothy Charles and his group are doing a great job in there...

I'll try to hit Kelso on Saturday, if it is not raining....

mtbr member
    Ummmm, you guys have read this thread too, right?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=699281

I guess other trails will probably be open, but something to consider.

sock puppet

yes of course... a bit of riding, hill repeats and

watching training runs...

Kelso is open for riding...

Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    Ummmm, you guys have read this thread too, right?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=699281

I guess other trails will probably be open, but something to consider.

mtbr member
    Any word on Albion or Palgrave?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll
    Any word on Albion or Palgrave?
    I exchanged notes with Sean @ Chico last evening about the status of Albion. He advised me that they are not open until April 30th, but was looking into how Tuesday would play out for the Tuesday pre-reg night. There are still a couple of sensitive areas due to late frost in the ground that would be hard to keep people away from if they were to open things up.

As far as Palgrave, I am not sure. But as nSpace mentioned in this or another thread, it seems to thaw out a little quicker than Albion.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    I exchanged notes with Sean @ Chico last evening about the status of Albion. He advised me that they are not open until April 30th, but was looking into how Tuesday would play out for the Tuesday pre-reg night. There are still a couple of sensitive areas due to late frost in the ground that would be hard to keep people away from if they were to open things up.

As far as Palgrave, I am not sure. But as nSpace mentioned in this or another thread, it seems to thaw out a little quicker than Albion.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks all, I think I'll give Kelso a try and see how it goes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithsb1111
    Thanks all, I think I'll give Kelso a try and see how it goes!
    I'm in the Super-D on Saturday, so if you're out there in the morning, I'll see you there. I'll be riding an apple-green Ibis Tranny and wearing a Darkhorse Flyers top.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Went to Kelso this afternoon and there is still lots of snow to melt. The fire road on the left (looking up) is still snow covered at the top and although you can't damage the fire road, it is very wet from the melting snow. One trip up, turn around, and back down and was starting to get covered in mud! (visions of "Mud Man") if thinking of doing hill repeats.
    As far as the actual trails I did not even try, there was soo much water on the roads at the bottom. The staff working there said they would be VERY mucky. Could be a very slippery Super "D" this weekend. Oh well, time to keep singin that old song "on the road again" again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-worksalot
    Could be a very slippery Super "D" this weekend.
    2.35" Kenda Nevegals mounted and ready for tractor duty, Sir!

mtbr member
    Anyone know the conditions in Durham?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    I've been told that the Durham Forest, Walkers Woods, Glen Manor, and so forth are to be avoided for now. The idea is to let things naturally regenerate/recover from Winter, and then the DMBA will work with the land authorities to decide which trails are to be closed for the season and which re-opened.

I do not speak for DMBA, so if you want more information, please contact them: [email protected].

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just back from Kelso Thursday night.

It's really good up top with only a few soft spots. I didn't cross the bottom by the chalet or ride Ascension but Fire and Snakes & Ladders hills are good.

The tires are full but there's no mud on the bike to speak of. Saw three deer, a falcon, and the easter bunny.

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just got back from doing the Bikenxs Thurs. race, conditions on the race course were very dry almost dusty in spots it stayed away from all the low spots though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icy
    Just got back from doing the Bikenxs Thurs. race, conditions on the race course were very dry almost dusty in spots it stayed away from all the low spots though
    Thanks, I've also emailed the dmba to try to get further info. It's a bit last minute so if I don't hear back tomorrow, I'll make a call one way or the other. At this point even a paved path ride to the lake would be interesting to me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was up at 3 Rock on Sunday hiking and went back Monday night for a trail run and bike. The main trails were good offering great traction - but not soft that you would sink and make a mess of the trail. The only one I avoided was the old road allowance that heads west from Concession 4 that is just to the left of the parking lot (that main trail).

Going back up to Durham Forest on Sat for a 3-4hr hike so will get a good idea what those trails are like and then probably returning that afternoon to ride if it is dry enough.

I believe the DMBA will be doing some pre-trail prep for a new trail build in a few weeks as well as some road cleaning.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was riding in Palgrave last night and it was glorious!!!! Drained super well there. Saw a bunch of deer, no easter bunny.

I had some friends who raced in Durham last night and rode for awhile before and after and they said the trails were in great condition. A bit of snow still.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda
    I was riding in Palgrave last night and it was glorious!!!! Drained super well there. Saw a bunch of deer, no easter bunny.

I had some friends who raced in Durham last night and rode for awhile before and after and they said the trails were in great condition. A bit of snow still.
    beautiful! heading there Sunday! YAY!

mtbr member
    Just got back from Durham, conditions were excellent, not slushy at all, at most tacky in spots, the rest was quite dry. In fact my bike is almost as clean as when I started my ride save for a bit of sand on the tires.
    The low lying double tracks are messy but I just kept to the single track. Lots of riders out today up there, parking lot was busy.

There was ice in a few isolated spots but it is still hard enough to simply ride right over without any impact.

All in all a Ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ditto on previous posts regarding Durham Forest. I rode Durham Forest / Walker Woods earlier today and the conditions are outstanding! Drainage there is good so it should survive tonight's rain and be ok for tomorrow afternoon again!

Let the season begin!

mtbr member

palgrave is perfect

was there early friday morning was great, really rearlly dry , some new sections
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    never mind :-(

Members who have read this thread: 0