The Great Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Great Trail

9 lives

The Great Trail

In 2017, The Great Trail will be the longest recreational trail in the world and connect all Canadians from coast to coast to coast!

Google search the most beautiful places in the world to visit, and about half of the results will be in Canada. Whether it be the snowy mountain peaks in Banff, Alberta, or the beautiful sunsets in Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia, the true north is home to some of the most breathtaking backdrops.

Adding to the country’s enchantment, travelers who come to explore Canada on foot or by bike, will soon have a 24,000 kilometer trail to guide them along. As inhabitat reports, The Great Trail is set for completion in 2017.

This recreational path will be the longest vehicle-free trail in the world. Beginning it’s path on the East Coast’s beautiful Newfoundland trails, and extending all the way to Canada’s northwestern corner.

Sauce:
    https://thegreattrail.ca/
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    The "vehicle free" description is a little misleading - I know in parts of Eastern Ontario a lot of the Trans Canada Trail is on existing roads, I am sure there are other parts of the country where the trail follows roads as well. It would have been great to have the trail vehicle free for 2017, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon!

9 lives
    I think too, the rush is to commemorate Canada's 150 year but I guess many/most of these trails have to cross or follow roads at some point.

On a slightly different note:

Parks Canada is planning free access to all it's parks in 2017 as part of the celebration as well

The Great Trail-cx6tht5wmaaumyr.jpg

Parks Canada - Plan your visit - 2017 free admission
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes, the vehicle free thing is unlikely - I'll bet a lot of the trails are ATV and snowmobile trails. Most of the old rail lines in remote areas end up that way.

mtbr member
    On the web site there is no mention of it being vehicle free. In fact it does say it will follow some roadways. Somebody somewhere probably didn't read it right and started the rumour about it being vehicle free. ( not you cyclelicious) I saw the same report from various sources.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    I saw something on Twitter last week, Canada Opening 22,000 km Car-Free Bike Path Across The Country In 2017 | MTL Blog . The glaring error is noted many time in the comments - here's one example - " What a bad, sloppy piece of writing. Have you even been on a section of the TCT? Do you even know where it goes through Montreal?"

Everybody else must have just used the article without doing any research!

Here's an article from Edmonton from the spring, how road "trails" make a mockery of the TCT Opinion: Road routes make mockery of Trans Canada Trail | Edmonton Journal
    Last edited by langford; 09-08-2016 at 06:39 PM.

9 lives
    ^ Thanks EC members for further clarification. The article I got, popped up on my FB page and I followed the link to the source...The Great Trail
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies