Got next week off, where should I go ride?- Mtbr.com
    Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Got next week off, where should I go ride?

Hey all, just looking for some tips or opinions where I should try riding. Took next week off work, just got my bike rack on and I'd love to try a new trail system.

I like between the Don and Durham Forest and thats where I rode weekly, just was up in barrie and did Hardwood Hills (still wanna try 3 stages) and last weekend I did Palgrave.

I dont mind a drive, but I'm not looking for an overnighter, anyone got any suggestions for me?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Hydrocut is the obvious one. Puslinch Tract. I want to try Buckwallow sometime. Christie Lake has some fun trails if you are in the area - not a lot of distance so probably not worth a trip themselves. Turkey Point has great trails, be prepared for the ticks. Turkey Point is worth being familiar with just for that early season or late season ride when nothing else is rideable.

Not mountain biking but the Hamilton rail trail to Brantford to Cambridge is a nice ride. I want to try the rail trail from Brantford to Port Dover sometime.

mtbr member
    There is Kelso and if you want an adventurous ride on a lot of rocks, try Hilton Falls/Agreement Forest. There are maps for Hilton Falls and now Agreement Forest on the HAFTA website. Kolapore is close to 3 stages and worth the drive in my opinion. Buckwallow is awesome but a bit of a drive to Gravenhurst. Being that you can go on a weekday, will make that quite doable in under two hours each way if you go at the right time. You can go for a swim at Muskoka Lake Beach after.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    dufferin forest near Mansfield is great but is not marked so easy to miss some good trails the 1st time out unless you hook up with a local
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

More than a little slow
    Buckwallow and Porcupine Ridge (Santa's village). Both are worth the trip up north. Combined there's almost too much for one day.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Buckwallow and The Torrance Barrens make for a nice full day. Buck and Porc would be way to much for me.
    Burnt Norton

9 lives
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    1. Load tent, clothes and bike in car and drive to East Burke, VT.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.

Perpetual Hack
    If you come as far as Waterloo for the Hydrocut, or Turkey Point, don't forget to make a stop in Woodstock at the Pines.
    Lots of flow and a few sets of killer berms to get your rail on.

michael
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Thanks a bunch for the suggestions ya'll. Loads of help!

Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    If you come as far as Waterloo for the Hydrocut, or Turkey Point, don't forget to make a stop in Woodstock at the Pines.
    Lots of flow and a few sets of killer berms to get your rail on.

michael
    I think I am gonna try Waterloo as its rated very highly online. bit of a drive but I'm fine with that!

Flow and killer berms? Yea ok I'm sold.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you decide to ride three stage, which is great, a map is very much needed. It is easy to get lost in there. Check out this link, there is a good PDFs map at the bottom and I suggest saving to your phone.

Ontario Mountain Biking Trails ? 3 Stage

Have fun!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    Flow and killer berms? Yea ok I'm sold.
    The Pines has VERY killer berms.

And roots

A trip down to Turkey Point is also highly recommended, although I'm a bit biased having it in my backyard and all. Trail map is here Trail Map |

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Ok, so it looks like Wednesday I'm gonna get to Waterloo to ride The Hydrocut. I'm being realistic and thinking I can prolly do one more location if everything goes well so should that be Turkey point or the pines or somewhere else??

Moderator Moderator
    Ok, so it looks like Wednesday I'm gonna get to Waterloo to ride The Hydrocut. I'm being realistic and thinking I can prolly do one more location if everything goes well so should that be Turkey point or the pines or somewhere else??
    Hydrocut is a good ride on its own, IMO. Turkey Point has over 50km of trail to explore so you could easily spend an entire day there. The Pines is a nice short ride, you can hit everything in 1.5 hours, 1 if your fast.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    We often did Hydrocut and Twin Pond / Puslinch in one day. Both great rides, and Puslinch is on the way back to Toronto.

mtbr member
    I second that Nerdgirl. On Mr. Monster's suggestion a while back we did Puslinch and then Hydrocut. I don't think it matters which order, but it is a good day on the bike.
    Burnt Norton

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Last question, who knows some good spots to grab some food around the Hydrocut?

mtbr member
    If you like wings, Morty's on King just north of University has good ones.

Abe Erb is a nice brewery/restaurant uptown where you can get some good beer and good food. Better get a hipster haircut first.

Mongolian Grill also good value for hungry riders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No one suggested the Ganny, multiple marked distance loops of Paul's Dirty Course and I think there are marked courses for the other race series that is done in there (can't recall the name), for $12 entry I think it is well worth it.

I did Northumberland Humbler (just north of Cobourg on Hwy 45) a few weeks ago and also really enjoy those trails but they are not marked near as well.

Downside to both those locations is the Poison Ivy. I think it was invented in Northumberland and they then transplanted many of those first freak plants into the Ganny! it is not uncommon to see plants 3' high and 9" leaves!

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    I love Northumberland Forest. Specially the west side of Beagle Club Road. That Green loop is super fast and flowy. Just wear your long socks. I rode there two days in a row while on vacation and had no issues with the poison ivy.
    Burnt Norton