Good hybrid tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Good hybrid tires

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for some hybrid tires to use this summer for commuter biking on my MTB, mostly on roads.

I've heard that the Michelin Country Rock MTB tires are a great deal for the price, but the problem seems to be that they are only sold in the UK and the US.

1. Anyone know why Canada always seems to lack these amazing deals?

2. Can anyone recommend any good quality, yet affordable tires that I can get in Canada (avoiding ridiculous international shipping prices)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I put Country Rocks on two old steel hardtails I brought to Cuba for a tour. They performed really well with no flats. 500km on each bike, very questionable roads and paths.

I did however order them from Chain Reaction in the UK. The minimal shipping price is $75 at this point, though you might have duties. If you can combine it with some other items you need, might be worth it. MEC typically has good tires for cheap as well.

On a commuter, low performance bike, a wire bead, protection tire should last a long time and shouldn't flat much, if at all. Shouldn't be hard to find one locally or have them order a set in for under $100.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    I have a fully rigid Superfly and run Schwalbe Big Apple tires. I prefer this bike for bombing around the city rather than the full on road bike. These tires are quite fast rolling and so far no issues with the horrible Toronto roads. I also use this bike as my gravel and rail trail bike, and switch the tires to Bontrager XR1 or Rocket Rons. The XR1 tire is a pretty good all around tire if you don't want to change tires. Not exactly hybrid, but does well enough on the road and is excellent on dirt.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    I've had good success with WTB Nano's on both my cross bike and single speed mtb. They're available here on Amazon for $40/tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I still have the Bontrager Satellite Plus tires on my '07 SU200 (a Trek):

https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/I...124_1_Zoom.jpg

They have seen service on the streets of the GTA, various paved trails in & around Toronto. No issues riding on limestone chips. I have also ridden paved roads in Peterborough County w/ them. I can't say how they perform in the rain.

I did suffer a puncture last year @ the bottom of the Don Trail. Tire was pierced by a metal chip similar to that produced by drilling metal.

They're no longer available, but would consider Bontragers to replace them down the road.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Country Rocks rock. They are on both my and my wife's rigid mtb / gravel grinders. Durable (no punctures in 2 seasons) and very adequate grip on and off road, including hard packed trails. Got them at CRC, cheap. And the shipping is NOT $75, more like $20.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I've used Continental City Rides for last couple of seasons. Used on roads, hard-packed trails and some extra rocky trails (including lots of stairs) with no punctures in 4800 km on them. Must admit they're not great on wet mud but have coped well enough so far. About $70 pair locally.