a good experience with bikeroom.com...- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

a good experience with bikeroom.com...

so i just place my order with bikeroom.com for a '04 fox vanilla r front shock. the checkout and order process is easy and i get a receipt. within 2 minutes i get a call - it's dave from the bikeroom and he let's me know that they don't have the '04s in stock in the R but he does have an RL he can ship for a big discount OR i can wait 2 weeks for an '05. so i go for the RL (which i got for way less than i would in any shop here in TO). he sending the fork out today and i should have it early next week. we'll see what happens when it gets here but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

similar...

Yes I dealt with them once and was very satisfied. It seems like a love/hate type of thing with this shop, some have very good experience while others are not satisfied at all. Anyway, I find that at least their site is full of stuff, something you can't say of other canadian sites and specially of canadian lbs in general!!! May not be all in stock but it's there with a price tag to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    so i just place my order with bikeroom.com for a '04 fox vanilla r front shock. the checkout and order process is easy and i get a receipt. within 2 minutes i get a call - it's dave from the bikeroom and he let's me know that they don't have the '04s in stock in the R but he does have an RL he can ship for a big discount OR i can wait 2 weeks for an '05. so i go for the RL (which i got for way less than i would in any shop here in TO). he sending the fork out today and i should have it early next week. we'll see what happens when it gets here but so far so good.

Apr 2004

bump.

ordered the fork wednesday and received it today. putting it on my ride right now and should have it out either tommorrow or sunday! i think i need a new cassette so a stop at MEC may be in order tommorrow morning.

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    ordered the fork wednesday and received it today. putting it on my ride right now and should have it out either tommorrow or sunday! i think i need a new cassette so a stop at MEC may be in order tommorrow morning.
    Sent them an email regarding some items on monday....still no response.....

Apr 2004

really??

call 'em - i sent emails to both unbeatablebikes.com and brauns.com about the vanilla rl and neither got back to me. not sure what's up.

Apr 2004

brauns...

well, brauns did get back to me. unfortunately there price for the R was nearly $300 more than what i paid for the RL from bikeroom.

T.Dot Represent
    i would have waited for the 05 cuz the 04 u cant use an 8 inch rotor. the 05 u can!!!!

lol i hope u dont get any problems with that man! r u in toronto? if u want we could go for a big group ride and break in that fork!!!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Apr 2004

just cause the manual says...

you can't use an 8 inch rotor .... well, i have one on there and i had one on my z1 wedge with no problems for 2 years. i'm at danforth and pape in TO and totally would be up for a group ride.

T.Dot Represent

DVP and yorkmills

me and 2 of my freinds might be down at cycle soltions on thursday and go for a rde then.
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I had a terrible experience with Bikeroom.

RANT=ON

In March, I placed a big part/wheel order ($2000 +) with Dave at BR. The list included a King ISO wheelset, some SRAM X.O stuff, some FSA bars, etc. These would be the parts that I needed to build-up my new Racer-X. Plus, I ordered some parts for some friends to take advantage of the deal that Dave was going to give me: 5% discount, plus free shipping.

At first, Dave was very quick to reply to my emails, questions, etc. But, once he got my money, it was next to impossible to get him to answer me.

Unfortunately, there were numerous problems with my order. When I first placed my order, I told Dave that I was not in a rush (it was still winter and I didn't yet have a frame), so I told him to hold-off on sending me the parts until everything arrived. Well, he went ahead and sent parts in several different shipments. OK. No problems since he was covering the shipping and it wasn't costing me a dime, but what a waste of time and $$ to send multiple shipments to the same address over a span of several weeks when I specifically told him not to. Ah well.

Anyway, as the boxes start to flow-in from Bikeroom, I quickly realize that several wrong parts were sent, parts were missing, parts were not advertised correctly, etc. It was a real pain-in-the-ass. So, I had to ship stuff back and wait for Dave to ship me the right stuff. The right stuff never came. I sent him numerous emails, called, etc. Replies were very slow and unapologetic. He simply didn't seem to care.

Also, once my credit card statement came in, I did not receive the agreed upon 5% discount for the bulk-order....I was charged the full amount.

After months of frustrations, I cancelled my order with Dave and waited for my credit. Several weeks go by and finally I get my credit card credited for the wrong items, but still no credit for the missing items.

Finally, another credit goes through on my card and it is again the wrong amount. I asked Dave for a detailed list of how they are calculating my credit. Nothing.

I finally give Dave an ultimatum. Give me my correct credit now, or I'm going to start dealing directly with Visa, the BBB, etc. Wouldn't you know it, I get a reply.

He explains that I'll be credited the right amount this week (ya, I'll believe it when I see it), but he will not give me the 5% discount on the parts I kept ($1300 worth) because I didn't buy my complete order from him. Well, no ****! I tried, but you continued to f-up!

Ultimately, here's my email to Dave after he agreed to give me the credit owing, with the exception of the 5%:

"OK, whatever....I just want this ordeal finalized with you. This has dragged-on way too long, through no fault of my own.

I still ended-up with a fairly large order from you ($1350), which I feel I still should have been entitled to the 5% discount, since the rest of order was not completed by you...not me. But, if you don't think so, then that's your call/business.

Also, it was no fault of my own that I didn't purchase the rest of the stuff from you...I really wanted to, but I tried, and tried, and tried countless times to get you (or anybody) to get my order right. You guys just didn't want to help and you didn't care about me or my order. Very poor business practices, IMHO.

In the end (after way too much grief), I had to cancel my order for the remaining stuff and returned the wrong stuff you sent. I was able to find a very helpful online shop where I bought all my remaining stuff, plus a couple extra items including a F80X and a custom Ti Titus Racer-X. This shop was more than willing to help me get everything and did everything right. This shop will get my return business and referrals....you, on the other hand, will get nothing but negatives from me for all those who ask how my Bikeroom experience was. Word of mouth is a very powerful business tool."

RANT=OFF
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    In the end (after way too much grief), I had to cancel my order for the remaining stuff and returned the wrong stuff you sent. I was able to find a very helpful online shop where I bought all my remaining stuff, plus a couple extra items including a F80X and a custom Ti Titus Racer-X. This shop was more than willing to help me get everything and did everything right. This shop will get my return business and referrals....you, on the other hand, will get nothing but negatives from me for all those who ask how my Bikeroom experience was. Word of mouth is a very powerful business tool."

RANT=OFF
    Where was this helpful shop?

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by NumbNutz
    Where was this helpful shop?
    Red Barn Bicycles in Montana. Chad (the owner) was excellent to work with, prices were great, service was great...what more could I ask for. Highly recommended. Chad was referred to me by a long-time MTBR.com'er (KMan), who I highly trust and respect....thanks KMan for the referral!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member

Similar experience with bikeroom

I bought a frame and the entire part spec from Dave at bikeroom. Just horrible servie. The frame arrived 3 weeks late, missing parts, dented rim....just a plain headache. In the end, with numerous shipments Ottawa, he almost got the entire order right. I still had to build one the wheels myself, buy my own disc adaptor, and other small pieces.

He ended up crediting my credit card for a $200 for my troubles, and sent 60$ cash in one of the packages of all things. If he just had his **** together he could have actually made money on the transaction. He was on the hook for all the shipping costs, and the supposed lost items in transit. He was forced (with my insistance) to send several items to Ottawa overnight delivery - couldn't have been cheap.

He's just not a very good business person. I spent a lot of money - Intense tracer with all the fixings....chis king stuff, fox fork, race face next bar and cranks...you get the picture.

I would never order anything from Dave again.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    I bought a frame and the entire part spec from Dave at bikeroom. Just horrible servie. The frame arrived 3 weeks late, missing parts, dented rim....just a plain headache. In the end, with numerous shipments Ottawa, he almost got the entire order right. I still had to build one the wheels myself, buy my own disc adaptor, and other small pieces.

He ended up crediting my credit card for a $200 for my troubles, and sent 60$ cash in one of the packages of all things. If he just had his **** together he could have actually made money on the transaction. He was on the hook for all the shipping costs, and the supposed lost items in transit. He was forced (with my insistance) to send several items to Ottawa overnight delivery - couldn't have been cheap.

He's just not a very good business person. I spent a lot of money - Intense tracer with all the fixings....chis king stuff, fox fork, race face next bar and cranks...you get the picture.

I would never order anything from Dave again.
    Hey Overkill,

I'm located in Ottawa, too....actually Kanata. Small world, eh?

Sorry to hear about your similar troubles with Bikeroom. It's unfortunate because my first experience with Dave at Bikeroom was incredible. I got a great set of Nokian Hakka WXC300 studded tires at an amazing deal, no taxes, no shipping, etc. It went perfect. So, I thought why not use BR again for my next purchase. Well, what a contrast and nightmare! Never again!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member

Hey Mike,

It just occured to me your user name on Mtbkanata.com is SS_MB-7. I've read quite a few of your posts on that site. Nice race at albion hills - amazing. I did the same race as a 7- person team, after racing it as a 5-person for the last 5 years - very relaxaing, almost too relaxing.

Maybe Dave doesn't like guys from Ottawa or something. I have several riding buddies with similar stories. We've all sworn to never order anything from bikeroom again. It's not like the guy is trying to rip anyone off, he just doesn't have it together!! It just makes you want to quite your day job and open your own operation. Canada needs a good internet bike site. I haven't ordered anything on-line since this occasion. I hope I don't need any parts soon - MEC only carries so much unfortunately.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Trust me, Dave doesn't limit his ineptitude to riders from the Ottawa area. He offers it to people from all over Ontario.

Funny thing is, when you talk to him on the phone, he's as friendly and cheerful as anyone else, but he doesn't seem to have a clue that you're pissed off about the way your transaction is proceeding (or not).

After many dealings with Bikeroom, I can't figure out how they've managed to grow their business to the size it seems to be. You'd think by now they would have alienated every customer and supplier they've got.

Yet, I keep ordering stuff from them......what's up with that???

Mike

I already rode that
    The prices?

Theres a few things I want to get and he says he can get them instock in 2-3 days for me. But before I do order them I'm going to check a few local shops and see what they can sell me the same things for. If its only a few dollars more to deal with a LBS then I'll deal with the LBS. I find its alot better that way but of course if the item I want is cheaper by a fair bit at some website store then I'll get it from them.

Apr 2004

i dunno...

as i said, i've never had a bad transaction with bikeroom or airbomb (when it was based out of canada) and i've had at least 5, maybe 6?? go figure.