good or bad?- Mtbr.com

Thread: good or bad?

humber river advocate

good or bad?

for mountain biking in the area...

Skyline International buys $20-million stake in Collingwood

the stats in the article states that there are 1.4 million visitors to blue mountain (700'000 skiers)...

with the expansion this will put added stress on the trails which might mean a more comprehensive trail plan for the area, added funding, trail expansion, etc... not a bad thing.
    of course there are negative aspects to development. though with such a large population to the south i don't see how it can be curtailed.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

cyberbully
    indifferent?
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by SkidVicious View Post
    indifferent?
    that's very torontonian of you...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    wait and see? i would hope it leads to trail expansion, but you never know. What if they decide to use trail space for more "profitable" attractions?

humber river advocate
    it's a possibility, it will also increase traffic on existing trails that are not part of the resort.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The article suggests that the real estate investment is a bit of a bet on new ski capacity being developed on the south part of the mountain. Are the current mountain bike trails implemented close to the existing lifts in the central/north part, or are they concentrated more towards the south end?

I think Kolapore is in good shape as far as potentially increased traffic goes, and would probably welcome it. I continue to be amazed at how Three stage prospers with no overt management process whatsoever.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    The article suggests that the real estate investment is a bit of a bet on new ski capacity being developed on the south part of the mountain. Are the current mountain bike trails implemented close to the existing lifts in the central/north part, or are they concentrated more towards the south end?

I think Kolapore is in good shape as far as potentially increased traffic goes, and would probably welcome it. I continue to be amazed at how Three stage prospers with no overt management process whatsoever.
    would probably have to add a chair in the south, runs are already cut in, but it depends how far south you go. trails might have to be closed to build the lift. though if the lift gets built it can service bikers, lots of possibilities. trail plans and management are an inevitability for any tract that gets increasing levels of passive use (protection against liability and for the environment are the driving factors)
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    that's very torontonian of you...
    my opinion has nothing to do with where i live, and has more to do with the order of importance of things in the world for me, and a $20 million dollar real estate deal is low on the totem pole especially when many families cannot afford to buy a house in today's overpriced and overvalued market. I stand by indifferent.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

humber river advocate
    my opinion has nothing to do with where i live, and has more to do with the order of importance of things in the world for me, and a $20 million dollar real estate deal is low on the totem pole especially when many families cannot afford to buy a house in today's overpriced and overvalued market. I stand by indifferent.
    -i see job creation and growth in a town that has had a loss of industry...
    -i see the opportunity for the creation of new businesses to service this market...
    -i see an increase in value of recreation resources
    -i see opportunity for advocacy for more trails
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    well blue just dropped out of the ocup dh... i dont know if their biking operations are a top priority. could also be because of their current legal woes...

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    well blue just dropped out of the ocup dh... i dont know if their biking operations are a top priority. could also be because of their current legal woes...
    of maybe due to new construction, Gravity Logic is supposed to upgrade the bike park: Major green going into Blue | Local | News | Barrie Examiner
    -Rupert Sheldrake

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    of maybe due to new construction, Gravity Logic is supposed to upgrade the bike park: Major green going into Blue | Local | News | Barrie Examiner
    thats a sweet bit of news. hopefully construction wont effect our ability to ride existing trails

Members who have read this thread: 0