Going biking across the border...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Going biking across the border...

I'm planning to go biking on a weekend to US, as I have a friend in NY state. Here's my question: my bike is virtually brand new, do I have to worry about the customs officers suspecting it's a new bike from the States on the way back? What sort of proof can I provide, other than the receipt - my receipt doesn't even have anything printed on it what's it for. Anyone had a problem like that? Any advice would be appreciated.

Arek

mtbr member

Here's what to do...

I live near the border in Niagara Falls so I deal with this all the time. When you go to across the border going INTO the US, stop at the customs booth on the Canadian side. Tell them you're bringing your bike in and you need a green tag for your bike. Basically it's just a customs card that you'll fill out with the type of bike and the serial number (locate it before you go down there).

When you come back, there's almost no chance the customs people will suspect you bought it there, but if they do, you just hand them the green tag and you're good to go.

Those tags work for camera equipment etc. Anything that is valuable which could be suspected as being purchased while you were down there. The nice thing is you can keep them for a while so you don't have to get one every time you go. And they only take 5 minutes to get.

Cheers!
    Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I live near the border in Niagara Falls so I deal with this all the time. When you go to across the border going INTO the US, stop at the customs booth on the Canadian side. Tell them you're bringing your bike in and you need a green tag for your bike. Basically it's just a customs card that you'll fill out with the type of bike and the serial number (locate it before you go down there).

When you come back, there's almost no chance the customs people will suspect you bought it there, but if they do, you just hand them the green tag and you're good to go.

Those tags work for camera equipment etc. Anything that is valuable which could be suspected as being purchased while you were down there. The nice thing is you can keep them for a while so you don't have to get one every time you go. And they only take 5 minutes to get.

Cheers!
    Dan
    Never heard of this! Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem then.
    Thanks a lot!!

Arek

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You can also get the green card at your local customs office which will save time when you get to the border. All you have to do then is pull up to the booth & give them the info they ask & off you go.
    This is what I do when I travel to the US.

Have Fun
    Kirk

May 2004

Bringing Bike into the States

I bring my bike to the states sometimes, and I also stopped at the Canadian side Customs and got a small green tag with my bike information. I have never ridden my bike across the border, but if I go for a few days I like to bring my bike to do some riding in different places.
    I carry the green tag in my wallet so I always have it.