Gloves?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gloves?

Terrain Sculptor

Gloves?

I have the feeling we're going to get a real winter this year. I've been in BC for the last 30 years & haven't needed warm gloves.

Any recommendations for some good winter riding gloves? I could go to the store and guess but I won't know how good they work until they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Evil Jr.
    I've been very happy with the Planet Bike "lobster claws" I got from MEC.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

GAME ON!
    i have not had any success keeping my fingers warm
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Bar-Mitts.

Pretty much any thinly insulated glove will work underneath them, and maintain braking and shifting dexterity. I sometimes just wear a summer full-finger glove under the bar mitts if it's above -5C.

All of those benefits stated, they do effectively glue your hands to the bars, which really takes some getting used to.

But if you want absolutely warm hands and being able to work the brake-shift levers, that's all I've ever got to work.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

sock puppet

i use a couple

of different gloves - for anything colder than -5 - i go with some Winners ski gloves - Head or something...

for -5 and warmer temps, up to about +5 - i use Salomon x-country ski gloves - thiner than ski, but still fairly warm and perspirate well...

above +5 - anything will do...

what size are you looking for - big, medium or small hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I have the feeling we're going to get a real winter this year. I've been in BC for the last 30 years & haven't needed warm gloves.

Any recommendations for some good winter riding gloves? I could go to the store and guess but I won't know how good they work until they don't.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For the colder temperatures I actually wear snowboard gloves.

mtbr member
    x-country ski gloves have worked for me, and if its really cold I'll put a heat pack in each glove on the back of each hand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I've been very happy with the Planet Bike "lobster claws" I got from MEC.
    Same here - normal bike gloves underneath and these work great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anything colder than -5C, I just ride indoors!!

mtbr member
    The best gloves I have are actually the cheapest. They're called Hot Paws and I think I bought them at Sears or Wal Mart. They're better than my Pearl Izumi lobster gloves, not sure about the MEC brand recommended earlier.

You'll need boots and a skull cap/balaclava if you want to ride below 0oC. Shoes with booties suck if you have to walk in snow. The snow gets trapped under the front of the bootie and your toes freeze. Try to never put your feet on the ground if you ride in the snow.

and remember the road is always colder than the trails. If you ride to the trails you'll be freezing and then too hot once you get in the woods. The SHCC will be riding all winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have circulation issues on whats left of some of my left hand fingers, and they get very cold as a result. I've had a hard time keeping them warm. I pull out the $25 snowmobile gloves when its 5 degrees and I'm riding fast. I picked up a pair of Black Diamond gloves from MEC for about $100 on sale last winter. I don't recall the model, and I couldn't find any model info on the gloves just now. They look a lot like the guide model. They keep my fingers warm down to -10 or so for about an hour. If I'm planning to be out for more than an hour, or it's REALLY cold, I'll pop in a pair of hand warmer packets. They're super cheap when you buy a box at 75% off in March .

humber river advocate
    did someone say winter cycling?

here's a good resource Icebike Home Page

all depends how long you are going to stay out and in what conditions... and that everyone has a system depending how you ride. for example go like stink for an hour then jump back into your car, or stay out for the whole day.

like nick says mec is a good resource and probably the new store like mec called sail.
    but almost any store you will find stuff that works (canadian tire, walmart, marks work wearhouse, etc)
    i stay away from the cycling oriented winter gear since i've found it lacking and wears out quickly.

if you look at dh ski stuff it works well. the gloves have a curvature for grips and are designed to keep your hands warm even though you crush the loft. keep in mind 0c is not that cold once you get used to the temps, but it depends on your tolerance. buy a midweight glove (this one i make sure is more waterproof) and a heavy weight when it's really cold out. i always carry a spare set of gloves lighter insulated gloves in my pack just in case i have to fix a flat or something (really sucks when it's -25c out).

foot wear is another area almost the same as gloves. i've found out that snowshoe boots work really well (waterproof, temp rating, light weight, and best of all cheap). goretex socks are a great tip for milder temps (run any shoe)

the rest of the system clothing depends once again what you intend to do. i've actually converted a set of goretex pants to knickers and then just adjust the base layer to what i need. though i also did this mod to get knee and shin pads under the pants (there are winter dh trails to session).
    a wind stopper jacket that you can layer underneath is a great investment. also a ski jacket that has zippered vents works really well for colder temps...

usually what i do for newer winter riders is take them out for smaller jaunts until they get there clothing
    system figured out. you can get into trouble if you get it wrong.

other than that have fun. i really enjoy winter riding, some vids...

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/33718690?title=1&amp;byline=1&amp;portrait=1" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/33718690">Untitled</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3593422">single sprocket</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

this clip below was used in a winter biking film fest in poland last year...

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/18212113?title=1&amp;byline=1&amp;portrait=1" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/18212113">humber river ride dec 26 2010</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3593422">single sprocket</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Muskoka
    People's hands and feet seem to all be different in regards to tolerating cold, what works for someone else won't necessarily work for you. Like some others stated, my XC ski gloves work nicely down to between -5 & -10 C. Wind is a factor too. Below that I switch to lined leather mitts, which is just another reason I prefer twist shifters over triggers.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Evil Jr.
    The only thing I'm not wild about with using regular mitts (although they are by far the warmest option) is it makes braking weird.

There are different styles of "lobster claws" out there - some with independent index fingers (perfect for braking but not as good for warmth) and others with the index and middle fingers tied together (not as good for braking but better for warmth.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Terrain Sculptor
    I can't brake with mitts on at all. I "need" to have a couple of fingers on the grips.
    I'm liking the idea of the lobster claws. I've always been a fan of mitts & the claws are a good compromise in my eyes. I have rim brakes and have to use 2 fingers.

It looks like I can get a pair at MEC for under $50 so if it doesn't work for me I'm not out all that much.

I'm pretty much just skin and bones so if it gets really cold out, I'll probably stay home. At least until I can put some weight back on. Even this early I can feel the cold more than I should.

Usually when I do go out riding, 2 hours would be a very short ride.

Thanks everyone. I've got lots of things I can try if one thing doesn't work for me. None of them will break the bank.
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Like others here, I don't have enough circulation in the fingers to keep warm without mitts, and need a double mitt below -10. As noted above, you can't ride the brake lever with a mitt on the way you can with a glove, so braking reaction is slower. Couple of years ago on a Dec morning at -13, with both hands right off the levers, I ran over a jaywalker's dog. jaywalker looked up after stepping off the curb to see me just in time but the dog did not. After that incident, I thought I'd check the city of Toronto cycling website to see what their recommendations were. Turned out the city folk are the sort of people who spell it 'break' rather than 'brake', which I thought was a propos as I had just broken a dog's back.

mtbr member
    You broke the dog's back?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Same here - normal bike gloves underneath and these work great.
    +2

Terrain Sculptor
    Thanks Oggie. They showed up today. They'll work great on their own and there's room for a thin liner.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Thanks Oggie. They showed up today. They'll work great on their own and there's room for a thin liner.

GAME ON!
    my gloves left my fingers cold after a 15 minute commute and they weren't cheap. why do glove makers aim for 0-5 degrees as the standard for a winter glove?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Workin for the weekend!
    I wear a shell overtop of my MTB gloves until I get warm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anyone looking for lobster claw, 3 finger type mitts, Princess Auto has some military surplus ones on sale for $5. Sure beats the $40 or more gloves out there.
    Pair of 3 Finger Shooting Mitts | Princess Auto
    I picked up a couple pair to play with.
    They are marked large and are a good fit for me - usually wear a large. They have a separate wool liner - the glove has a full leather palm side, nylon back and a long nylon gauntlet.
    Haven't tried them yet - they don't look like they will be that warm but could be wrong. Fully windproof. The glove could be used over a light normal glove without the liner. A pair of those thin poly type liners with the inner and outer over top would probably work very well.

Also, for the MEC bar covers linked in this thread. Lots of reviews that they are too floppy. I put a long zip tie on the very end of my grip, very tight. Then tied a couple knots in the long tail end, then captured the knot in the Velcro opening of the cover. This keeps it from drooping down on the end of the bar and holds the bottom edge in position. Helps a lot in keeping everything positioned right.

Members who have read this thread: 0