Glen Major hack-up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Glen Major hack-up

Anyone else notice that Glen Major had a cleaning recently.. After returning from a little bit of biking break I noticed that there are atleast 3 logs that have been cut up and moved..

I still try to understand why they have to remove the entire log.. One was the large log on the north part of Glen Major before taking the trail to Walkers gate.. Heading west you go up a small hill and there is a log about 15 inches off the ground in height that had sticks piled up ot get over.

The 2nd and 3rd were the two at the end of the drops section before hitting the bridge, a big (for me) log pile with a nice drop and a hairy descent over some roots/logs.

These were some of my fav. stunts to ride, and they are now hacked out and cleared for a transport.

Lets be realistic, the drops section is no a beginner trail, if you can clear the first and second part of the trail then you can surely ride where they cleared.. I didn't see them (Thankfully) leveling out the drops...

I know I don't have much of a reason to complain, it's free ($) riding, and I don't do trail maintenance, but I was disappointed by their decision to hack large sections of logs away that were passable.

Perhaps let them know your thoughts too...

http://www.trca.on.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad-WL

(sanitation rant snipped)

http://www.trca.on.ca/
    I noticed it a few weeks ago to and was disappointed. I meant to post but forgot thanks for reminding me. It does suck that they're removing some of the fun from the trails.

There has been a lot work done in Durham forest though. The south end seems to have fallen into disrepair but there is a lot of new single track. I would love to help build some of those trails.

I already rode that
    Lets seeeeeee.
    Riding over logs = hard
    Riding on flat level ground = easy
    Which do most people prefer? Even for mtb'ers easy is the route they rather ride it seems and I thought most ppl out on a mtb was in for the challenge.

I do know the log by the gravel pit after the downhill was removed. That log was there for a while too. Maybe that was one of the spots you talked about but it is one spot that has been smoothed out

Another thing I dont like seeing is trail widening. Sometimes because of hard obstacles ( noone learned to walk over it?) or in some areas in Glen Major (like an area that went by a field with an old house on the hill) and now has some nice single track built to the right of it. I noticed last weekend how widened it is in some parts. I guess from people trying to pass others and such.

They say I have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    Lets seeeeeee.
    Riding over logs = hard
    Riding on flat level ground = easy
    Which do most people prefer? Even for mtb'ers easy is the route they rather ride it seems and I thought most ppl out on a mtb was in for the challenge.

I do know the log by the gravel pit after the downhill was removed. That log was there for a while too. Maybe that was one of the spots you talked about but it is one spot that has been smoothed out

Another thing I dont like seeing is trail widening. Sometimes because of hard obstacles ( noone learned to walk over it?) or in some areas in Glen Major (like an area that went by a field with an old house on the hill) and now has some nice single track built to the right of it. I noticed last weekend how widened it is in some parts. I guess from people trying to pass others and such.
    Widening is difficult to avoid as use increases....The real problem is when people widen areas that are muddy or difficult...Either ride the mud/obstacle, or get off and walk...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Widening is difficult to avoid as use increases....The real problem is when people widen areas that are muddy or difficult...Either ride the mud/obstacle, or get off and walk...

Rich
    This is a good point.. I was thinking about this as I walked up the eroded west hill of the 3 peaks.. The trail is around 8 feet wide, this could of easily been avoided by placing a rock path through the trail accounting for water drainage as well.

Instead of getting a 9 inch deep rut, the water could of flowed nicely down the hill and not destroyed the top part of the hill.

The GTRA needs some lessons in trail building, it would be nice to see some barriers placed on trails.

Some of my riding partners have taken shortcuts to avoid hopping over logs and have aways been scolded by me.. As a hiker, Biker, and ex-Jeep'er it's always been a priority for me to stay on the trail.

I called and left a message with the GRCA so hopefully they will get back to me.. Personally I'd give up one or two weekends a year to do maintenance up there.. I ride it quite a bit so why not give something back.

They say I have a problem
    This is a good point.. I was thinking about this as I walked up the eroded west hill of the 3 peaks.. The trail is around 8 feet wide, this could of easily been avoided by placing a rock path through the trail accounting for water drainage as well.

Instead of getting a 9 inch deep rut, the water could of flowed nicely down the hill and not destroyed the top part of the hill.

The GTRA needs some lessons in trail building, it would be nice to see some barriers placed on trails.

Some of my riding partners have taken shortcuts to avoid hopping over logs and have aways been scolded by me.. As a hiker, Biker, and ex-Jeep'er it's always been a priority for me to stay on the trail.

I called and left a message with the GRCA so hopefully they will get back to me.. Personally I'd give up one or two weekends a year to do maintenance up there.. I ride it quite a bit so why not give something back.
    I think alot of the CA's need a proper lesson in trail building....In Hamilton the HRCA's idea of solving erosion problems in the Dundas Valley trail system is to put down loads of gravel screenings....

That stuff is so much fun to ride through and then after the next major rain fall it finds itself to the stream...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

mtbr member
    I think alot of the CA's need a proper lesson in trail building....In Hamilton the HRCA's idea of solving erosion problems in the Dundas Valley trail system is to put down loads of gravel screenings....

That stuff is so much fun to ride through and then after the next major rain fall it finds itself to the stream...

Rich
    Don't we have a new IMBA group in Ontario? Weren't they part of the IMBA trail crew?
    Could we introduce the two groups? There is more for the IMBA to do in Ontario besides build trails in the Don.

I really don't understand why people braid the trail and it seems like it spoils the fun. If you can't clean a section what do you get out of riding an easier line?

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    I really don't understand why people braid the trail and it seems like it spoils the fun. If you can't clean a section what do you get out of riding an easier line?
    Newbs or lazy people that dont want the challenge would prob make up part of that answer.
    Maybe if there was a lil info booklet that was included with every mtb sold it might help correct problems like that from happening too often.

I saw the closed the gravel pit hill ( 3 hills?) I liked riding down that hill! The nice rutts made it fun

Oh about the new IMBA clubs. I think your talking about the DVTUC? http://donvalleytrails.com/
    In which case I would say they are more based as their name suggests.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Maintenance

I spoke with Mike from the GRCA about maintenance, and basically there are 3 people in charge of the entire forest maintenance.. Both Walker and Glen.. That's insane.

I'm going to give the Trail captain a call and see about getting some maintenance done before it gets worse.. I like to ride there, and I'd rather have it done right then get closed.

Anyone interested in helping one or two times a year to do maintenance?

mtbr member
    I spoke with Mike from the GRCA about maintenance, and basically there are 3 people in charge of the entire forest maintenance.. Both Walker and Glen.. That's insane.

I'm going to give the Trail captain a call and see about getting some maintenance done before it gets worse.. I like to ride there, and I'd rather have it done right then get closed.

YES! My gf and I are definitely interested and thank you for doing this. I was going to do this myself but to be honest I won't have time for about two more weeks to track down people, compose emails and send them off. Thank you, thank you and thank you.

I asked before, who does Durham Forest now that Uxbridge Cycling Club is gone?

Aug 2004
    I rode the drops this Sunday and things looked OK. Someone we ran into mentioned that some stuff had been cleaned out. The thing I see happening in Ontario is that riders sometimes equate technical trails with trails that are really in a state of decay and need work.

This attitude was prevalent 10 years ago in BC. Then people started putting an active effort into maintaining trails and building technical trails. The difference can be subtle but I feel needs to be stressed. A technical trail contains obstacles and/or trail features that increase the trails difficulty. This could be tight switch-backs or stepped sections. Rock gardens that require the rider to pick a good line etc. But not things like random downed logs, heavy erosion marks from rear wheel skidding, poor trail design (i.e. fall line, ditches, etc). Another factor that has come about in the last 5 years is the big travel bikes with there large tires and brakes inpart a whole new dimension when building trails. Look at Neds Atomic Dust Bin. That trail was quite stable for years. Then when people moved into discs, large tires and 5+ inches of travel they could smoke down the trail at speeds never ridden before. This has brought about the need to making trails even more reinforced to handle the stress that the bikes cause.

Back to trail work. A trail designer/maintainer needs to look at who is riding it and how. Tread reinforcement needs to be placed appropriately and high wear areas need to be addressed. If this means the trail becomes easier to ride for some it is a small price to pay for the long term health of the trail. Especially in light that no one seems to do maintenance of the trails they ride.

Yes everyone should do there part to keep the trails maintained. If on every ride someone would clear a away a fallen branch or move a few rocks to help reinforce the tread etc then we would all be better off.

BCBOY

mtbr member

Trail news?

Did you speak to the Trail Captain? Good news? As much as it pains me to write this, we may want to involve the equestrians too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I called, and left a message a week ago, I'll wait a bit more before calling again as he could be on vacation.

I agree that there is a huge difference between decay and technical. In my view some of the fall line trails at GM are in huge need of repair. It seems that the original trail creators didn't worry about it, or it was just a few riders riding along.

Anyone know what to do when the trail heads straight down the fall line? How do you re-enforce it without cutting steps?

Most horse trails are different then the technical sections that the drops sections, the drops are tight and contain a few drops, the horse trails are generally wider and rolling.

Therse still a lot of the Walker Woods and Glen Major that I still haven't explored (Although it's getting a lot less)

I'll post back when I hear anything else.

Chad

mtbr member
    IAnyone know what to do when the trail heads straight down the fall line? How do you re-enforce it without cutting steps?
    I can only think of steps but IMBA may have a different and better answer. I suppose you could put rocks, logs or build bridges above the trail.

I already rode that
    Have you ridden across the road at umm I forget the name, The north tract? or something. It shows it on the map when you enter GM by the radio towers towards the north west I guess. We rode there on sunday but only went in not even that far since my friend didnt like it ( he doesnt like trails that arent well marked) and we turned around and went back into GM.
    Are the trails in there any fun if you have been in there?
    I dont know when I'll be able to check them out. Maybe if I get a chance to go with my other friend.

mtbr member
    Have you ridden across the road at umm I forget the name, The north tract? or something. It shows it on the map when you enter GM by the radio towers towards the north west I guess. We rode there on sunday but only went in not even that far since my friend didnt like it ( he doesnt like trails that arent well marked) and we turned around and went back into GM.
    Are the trails in there any fun if you have been in there?
    I dont know when I'll be able to check them out. Maybe if I get a chance to go with my other friend.
    The trails are not marked on the Glen Majors side but are marked in Durham forest. It is still easy to get lost if you have no clue where you are going.
    The whole area is a good ride with even the double track.

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    The trails are not marked on the Glen Majors side but are marked in Durham forest. It is still easy to get lost if you have no clue where you are going.
    The whole area is a good ride with even the double track.
    Nah Im talking about, say if your heading to GM from durham but if you keep heading west along GM then hit the road and go north theres a lil area with some trails. You have to cross a hiker type crossing to get in there. It shows the area on the new map they have on the corner by the north parking lot at GM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nah Im talking about, say if your heading to GM from durham but if you keep heading west along GM then hit the road and go north theres a lil area with some trails. You have to cross a hiker type crossing to get in there. It shows the area on the new map they have on the corner by the north parking lot at GM.

You Mean North of Hwy #21, West of Conc. 7.

No, I have not ridden this part, it also appears that there are more NE of this intersection as well from DF.

I don't think that it would be much good to ride, but I'll check it one one day..

Incidently, I have only got 1 day of riding up there in the last two months.. I can't wait for fall to get settled back down to 3x a week!

I already rode that
    You Mean North of Hwy #21, West of Conc. 7.

No, I have not ridden this part, it also appears that there are more NE of this intersection as well from DF.

I don't think that it would be much good to ride, but I'll check it one one day..

Incidently, I have only got 1 day of riding up there in the last two months.. I can't wait for fall to get settled back down to 3x a week!
    Yea I suck at explaining things...
    Anyways its on concession 6, but south of highway 21 (goodwood rd)
    Theres the gate at the north parking lot for GM. if you ride west to conc. 6 then north for like a min you would see the sign and the fence there and the wooden ladder to cross over into the area. I'll ask my friend that lives by there if I dont confuse him too where the spot is.

I've been riding durham/ GM almost every sunday lately. Maybe I'll talk my chauffuer into Albion this weekend and try out the 24hr course.

Aug 2004

Rich
    Absolutely not, trail widening can be avoided and is being avoided by the removal of some trail features. Yes this can be a bummer as the trails "features" get reduced but would you rather a trail becomes a quagmire to ride through. I like hard trails but I am happy to give up some difficulty if it means a trail will last longer. Especially since most bikers never think twice about helping out. As in they never help with trail work.

Get out there and work on the trails. Oh but please go with someone who knows what there are doing. Doing poor work is just as bad or worse then doing no work.

Happy riding